NFL Arrests and Lawsuits - 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a mess this guy is. Surprised Goodell hasn't booted him out of the league.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/01/dante-fowler-pleads-no-contest-to-battery/

Dante Fowler pleads no contest to battery
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2018

gettyimages-908402250-e1519932747375.jpg

Getty Images

Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler pleaded guilty to battery, criminal mischief and petty theft stemming from a July incident in which he attacked a man in a parking lot.

The man criticized Fowler’s driving, and Fowler responded by hitting him, knocking off his glasses, stepping on his glasses, grabbing a bag of groceries from him and throwing the groceries into a lake.

As part of the plea, Fowler received 12 months’ probation, 75 hours of community service and more than $1,000 in fines. He will have to stay away from the victim.

Fowler has a history of off-field issues. In March 2016 he was arrested for assault on a police officer/EMT, but charges were dropped when he entered an intervention program. During one 20-month period, Fowler received 10 traffic tickets. Fowler also received criticism when video surfaced of Fowler standing by and watching while his girlfriend and ex-girlfriend engaged in a physical fight.

Fowler is facing potential league discipline for his off-field issues.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/branden-albert-arrested-in-atlanta/

Branden Albert arrested in Atlanta
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2018

494236486.jpg

Getty Images

Branden Albert walked away from football last year rather than play for the Jaguars, and that no longer appears to be his worst decision.

According to TMZ, the former Dolphins and Chiefs left tackle was arrested in Atlanta for second degree criminal trespass and willful obstruction of a law officer.

Fulton County Jail records show he’s still in custody this morning.

Albert was traded to the Jaguars last year, and spent five days in camp before deciding to retire. When he changed his mind and declared his intention to come back, the Jaguars cut him. He had some workouts but didn’t play last season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/robbery-charge-against-marlon-humphrey-dismissed/

Robbery charge against Marlon Humphrey dismissed
Posted by Charean Williams on March 2, 2018

gettyimages-900117566-e1520047020367.jpg

Getty Images

A judge dismissed a felony robbery charge against Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey on Friday, Jamison Hensley of ESPN reports.

An Uber driver accused Humphrey of stealing a phone charger in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, but Judge Joanne Jannik found no probable cause after hearing evidence Thursday.

“We are happy for Marlon and the entire Humphrey family,” Humphrey’s attorney, Paul Patterson, told ESPN. “The evidence was overwhelming that the Uber driver was the aggressor and escalated a situation that could have been resolved without wasting the time and resources of our local law enforcement. Marlon can now continue on the path of success in the NFL. As I stated in the beginning, Marlon has 11 million reasons why not to steal a three dollar phone charger.”

Humphrey signed a four-year, $11.8 million deal after the Ravens made him the 16th overall pick last spring.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/05/raiders-release-aldon-smith/

Raiders release Aldon Smith
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 5, 2018

gettyimages-497302208-e1519210338184.jpg

Getty Images

The Raiders have had enough.

The team just announced that they had released outside linebacker Aldon Smith, a matter-of-fact transaction after he was involved in a domestic violence incident.

When he was available, he was one of the top pass-rushers in the league, with 42 sacks in his first 43 games.

But he hasn’t played since November 2015, was on the reserve-suspended list, and having already checked himself into a rehab facility, it’s past time to stop thinking of him as a football player.

The hope is that Smith the individual can get himself on the right track, but the Raiders don’t want to be associated with him at this point.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...following-alleged-domestic-violence-incident/

Arrest warrant issued for Aldon Smith following alleged domestic violence incident
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 5, 2018

gettyimages-488075020-e1520310013517.jpg

Getty Images

San Francisco police have issued an arrest warrant for former Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith after alleged domestic violence incident this weekend.

According to Jon Becker and Matthias Gafni of the San Jose Mercury News, Smith is being charged with domestic violence, assault with force likely to produce bodily injury, false imprisonment and vandalism. All four counts are misdemeanor offenses.

Smith is alleged to have bit the wrists of the victim and fled the scene, leaving through a window. The victim has non-life threatening injuries, according to police.

Smith reportedly checked into a rehab facility on Monday following the incident this weekend. After spending over a year on the Raiders reserve/suspended list, the team released him after the latest in a long list of foul-ups.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-after-missed-court-appearance-in-dui-case/

Arrest warrant issued for Letroy Guion after missed court appearance in DUI case
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 7, 2018

gettyimages-506092940-e1520397839464.jpg

Getty Images

Former Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion was arrested on DUI charges last June in Hawaii. Guion elected to take the case to trial despite being quoted in the police report telling officers “I know I’m drunk.”

However, an arrest warrant has again been issued for Guion. According to TMZ, a bench warrant was issued for Guion’s arrest after failing to appear in court on Monday.

Guion’s initial arrest came after apparently celebrating his birthday in Waikiki. He failed a breathalyzer test after being observed drifting between lanes and had a blood alcohol level just over the legal limit.

The Packers released Guion in August as he was already facing a four-game suspension for a PED violation as well.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...artin-had-loaded-gun-knife-ax-when-picked-up/

Jonathan Martin had loaded gun, knife, ax when picked up
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 8, 2018

gettyimages-143898040-e1519418196205.jpg

Getty Images

A new report is offering even more disturbing details in the recent case of former Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin.

According to TMZ, when Martin was taken into custody recently, he had a loaded shotgun, a knife and an ax.

Martin was checked into a mental health facility after he made a threatening social media post which mentioned his former high school and former teammate Richie Incognito.

The report also outlines threatening messages from Martin to former classmates, who he accused of bullying him. Officials said they picked up Martin after getting a call about a “suicidal male with a gun.”

Martin’s case is obviously a sad one, and the entire situation which began during his Dolphins days was one the NFL never seemed to get its arms around.

The only hope is that he’s getting the help he needs now, and that others might reach out before their situations reach such critical ends. While the NFL culture doesn’t seem as open to acknowledging mental health issues (as a number of NBA stars are talking about their own struggles), perhaps Martin’s case can act as a springboard for more discussion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/report-sean-smith-gets-a-year-in-jail-in-plea-deal/

Sean Smith gets a year in jail in plea deal
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 12, 2018

613637896-e1505435217915.jpg

Getty Images

Sean Smith is on the street for the moment, but he’s not heading to the free agent market.

He’s heading to jail.

According to Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times, the former Raiders cornerback will plead guilty Tuesday to one felony count of assault with great bodily injury stemming from an altercation last July.

The Raiders are releasing him, per multiple reports moments ago.

As part of his plea agreement, Smith will be sentenced to a year in jail and three years of probation.

He faced up to seven years if convicted of all charges against him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/report-sean-smith-gets-a-year-in-jail-in-plea-deal/

Sean Smith gets a year in jail in plea deal
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 12, 2018

613637896-e1505435217915.jpg

Getty Images

Sean Smith is on the street for the moment, but he’s not heading to the free agent market.

He’s heading to jail.

According to Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times, the former Raiders cornerback will plead guilty Tuesday to one felony count of assault with great bodily injury stemming from an altercation last July.

The Raiders are releasing him, per multiple reports moments ago.

As part of his plea agreement, Smith will be sentenced to a year in jail and three years of probation.

He faced up to seven years if convicted of all charges against him.

did smith have a sonny corleone moment with his brother in law?

giphy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/adam-gotsis-arrested-for-an-alleged-rape-in-college/

Adam Gotsis arrested for an alleged rape in college
Posted by Charean Williams on March 12, 2018

gettyimages-598728330-e1520886080397.jpg

Getty Images

Broncos defensive tackle Adam Gotsis was arrested last week for allegedly raping a woman in Georgia in 2013, the Denver Post reports. Gotsis played at Georgia Tech when the rape allegedly occurred.

The woman made the accusation February 1.

Gotsis surrendered at the Fulton County Jail in Atlanta last Wednesday on a charge of strong-arm rape, via the newspaper. He was released on $50,000 bond.

The Broncos released a statement to the Denver Post:

“We were recently informed of an investigation into an alleged incident involving Adam Gotsis that occurred in 2013 when he was in college. Our organization was aware of his arrest on March 7, and it is our understanding that no determination has been made at this time as to whether any charges will be filed.

“The Broncos take an accusation of this nature very seriously and will continue to closely monitor the legal proceedings. This issue was promptly reported to the NFL as soon as we learned of it, and we will remain in communication with the league office regarding this matter.”

The Broncos made Gotsis a second-round pick in 2016, and he made 13 starts in 2017.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This is one area I have come full circle on, some would debate it leads to harder substances, but cigarettes can lead to harder substances....I do believe it should be legalized and taxed accordingly so I can derive some benefit from something I never tried the tax dollars.

I never understood that expression, "I've come full circle."

That's the same as saying, "I changed my mind and did a 360 on the matter."

So, basically, you're in the same place where you started???

I'm just messin' with ya, Den.

I still don't get the expression, tho...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Federal law generally only prosecutes individuals such as high profile growers and dealers and rarely intervenes in simple possession cases. Each state decides how to deal with those types of cases. If someone is reckless enough to get caught with marijuana in a state that still prohibits it, then that's on them.

The War on Drugs, while well-meaning, was a disaster. That's why some states have begun to legislate in favor of allowing marijuana for medicinal purposes and for individual use in small amounts. And yes, as in all things, follow the money trail as well.

True, but it creates an umbrella that the Fed will give aid and comfort to MJ Teetotalers who want another prosecutorial tool for the poor.

When the Fed wasn't pursuing local busts in states where it was legal, very few states/counties were. That's been changing. Ask any legal dispensary and they have every reason to be worried that they'll be raided.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
."

That's the same as saying, "I changed my mind and did a 360 on the matter."

So, basically, you're in the same place where you started???

I'm just messin' with ya, Den.

I still don't get the expression, tho...

That's a great point, you're correct, what I left out was in my youth I did not think it was harmful, however, I watched what it did to friends and relatives, so felt strongly against it, only to realize anything like Cigarettes or Alcohol can lead you down the same path, so in essence, I have come full circle. It was right to call me out, I do it to others and what goes around, comes around!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/22/jameis-winston-uninjured-in-car-wreck/

Jameis Winston uninjured in car wreck
Posted by Charean Williams on February 22, 2018

gettyimages-898088534-e1519353893572.jpg

Getty Images

Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston escaped uninjured after recently being involved in a car wreck, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

Winston, 24, was driving in Tampa on February 13 when his Ford truck rear-ended a car, via the paper. The accident caused damage to both vehicles, including an estimated $4,000 to the car Winston hit.

But no one was injured in the wreck.

Winston faces a $153 fine after being cited for careless driving.

That's par for the course.

Half of Florida drivers or more simply follow too close and pay too little attention.

Honestly, the tailgating is the worst. Anyone who's been in Florida for any length of time has seen some wicked nasty rear-end collisions (no pun intended...)

fearsomefour

Legend
True, but it creates an umbrella that the Fed will give aid and comfort to MJ Teetotalers who want another prosecutorial tool for the poor.

When the Fed wasn't pursuing local busts in states where it was legal, very few states/counties were. That's been changing. Ask any legal dispensary and they have every reason to be worried that they'll be raided.
Still varies greatly depending on location.
Nothing changed where I own land.
Other places I have heard have been changing.
Sessions assigned something like 17 new federal prosecutors....not sure if it was for this or something else.