New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Who is Vincent Bonsignore's source located at the highest levels possible? Was he the one who gave info on his previous article about the grounds on which the Rams will attempt to leave St. Louis? Inquiring minds....

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
He talks with Grubman, Fabiani, Spanos and not sure who he has at the Rams. The previous article couldn't have come from Grubman.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Los Angeles TV Sports Reporter: "Rams Will Announce Move to LA In August"

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/5/21/8639269/los-angeles-st-louis-rams-announcement-august

This clip of last night's newscast on KTLA, Los Angeles' affiliate for the CW, reporter Glen Walker offered this nugget (Facebook video link):

A reliable source texted me the other day that the NFL will announce in August that the Rams are indeed coming back to Southern California. So yesterday at the South Bay Medal of Valor Luncheon, I ran that by Inglewood Mayor James Butts. His reaction? Quote: "You have a pretty good source."

That's a reliable enough source for a television reporter to run with plus a winky nod from the mayor. On one hand, you've got a report. A public report. On the other hand, that's a pretty glib way for the mayor to respond, and if there's one thing you can bet Roger Goodell and the major executives who make up the NFL hate, it's glibness. The NFL doesn't do glib.

That being said, there's a good chance this gets buried. Stan Kroenke doesn't talk to anyone he doesn't have to. The team has a communications staff that's well-armed with talking points and pivot targets. And both Los Angeles and St. Louis know where they stand.

If nothing else, the blowback from more serious journalists is always fun:

View: https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/601468887830437888

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Seemed somewhat random that he would fly to St. Louis out of the blue but now I'm wondering if perhaps he was invited.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Because some state government law struck down in 2012, there was some oversight board to ensure that tax receiving entities didn't misuse funds, and Carson may have done that. A Carson oversight board member filed a formal protest saying they haven't filed things according to the law, and basically cheated the system. Meaning that Carson and LA can lose money if the department of finance decides to investigate things.

If they investigate it they can undo the selling of the deal, or can delay it because of issues. They also may need to produce the 50 million needed for cleanup privately.

He says he just thinks it's a red flag.

And the Carson mayor sent him a text to come on the air.

iced

This reminds me of me when ESPN ran the story "Rams Hire Jason Garrett for headcoach!" a day or 2 before hiring spagnuolo..

doesn't matter if it's right, as long as they're first

beej

Rookie
A reliable source texted me the other day that the NFL will announce in August that the Rams are indeed coming back to Southern California. So yesterday at the South Bay Medal of Valor Luncheon, I ran that by Inglewood Mayor James Butts. His reaction? Quote: "You have a pretty good source."

That's a reliable enough source for a television reporter to run with plus a winky nod from the mayor. On one hand, you've got a report. A public report. On the other hand, that's a pretty glib way for the mayor to respond, and if there's one thing you can bet Roger Goodell and the major executives who make up the NFL hate, it's glibness. The NFL doesn't do glib.
Butts was probably the actual source

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If the Rams moving or staying was actually happening it would be all over the sports news.

Not some random lady on twitter trying to people to listen to a radio show.

iced

If the Rams moving or staying was actually happening it would be all over the sports news.

and they wouldn't be scheduling meetings to hear from the St.Louis task force either

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This reminds me of me when ESPN ran the story "Rams Hire Jason Garrett for headcoach!" a day or 2 before hiring spagnuolo..

"How many darts did you throw at the board before you hit the bullseye?"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Or when Jose Canseco claimed that half of mlb was juicing and people just scoffed at the idea....

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

No, she didn't start it apparently one of the local tv sports guy said it first

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
and they wouldn't be scheduling meetings to hear from the St.Louis task force either

I honestly think that meeting is giving St. Louis a chance to nail it down before the season starts. They want to see if it can get done before the season to help attendance.

beej

Rookie
Or when Jose Canseco claimed that half of mlb was juicing and people just scoffed at the idea....
they say whatever they want to get their ratings up. Knowing in August everyone but the crazies will have forgotten you said it anyway.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bernie: Goodell's STL comments are good sign
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_e7228823-b536-535f-985d-7d99ea66030f.html

At the NFL owners' meeting Wednesday in San Francisco, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was asked to assess the situation in St. Louis, where efforts continue to secure funding for a proposed football stadium on the north riverfront.

According to Goodell, the league is taking a close look at the St. Louis financing formula, a process that will take some time.

"We heard directly from St. Louis a couple of weeks ago," Goodell said. "It's one of the things we're evaluating. I don't know if we've come to a conclusion on that to date."

But Goodell continued to offer encouragement, praising the stadium initiative being led by co-task force chairs Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz.

"There's tremendous progress going on there," Goodell said. "We're going to make sure we give them the full evaluation, the full consideration and we'll get back directly to them if we feel there's any issues that need to be addressed."

Since so many of you have asked what I think about Goodell's comments, I'll be happy to answer the question.

I believe it's positive.

Not that any of this means the Rams are staying in St. Louis beyond 2015. That's to be determined. The situation remains fluid. As I keep saying, be prepared for more twists and turns. When you have three NFL teams madly competing for one or two spots in Los Angeles, it's a volatile set of circumstances.

And until St. Louis locks in the financing, there's no basis for legitimate optimism on the Rams' front. Even with the real progress that's been made, STL will remain in the "hopeful" stage unless the stadium becomes a reality.

Still, Goodell's most positive St. Louis comments to date reaffirm something I've believed for a while now: Peacock and Blitz have established credibility with the NFL.

The NFL is taking the St. Louis effort serious. A level of trust has formed between the league and Peacock-Blitz. And Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon has strengthened that by maintaining regular communication with Goodell.

Now, some of you may be skeptical about all of this. You may be wondering: well, what do you expect Goodell to say? He's telling people what they want to hear. He's being a politician.

Sure, Goodell is slick. And as I've written many times, I can't put my full trust in NFL to handle the Rams' situation ethically, and honorably.

That point aside, Goodell doesn't have to say nice things about the stadium project in St. Louis.

If this was all about telling people what they wanted to hear, Goodell would have praised San Diego and Oakland, the other two markets that must remedy stadium problems to save their teams.

Goodell didn't do that. He hasn't given SD or Oakland any reason to feel good about their current situations. NFL executive VP Eric Grubman, the NFL's point man for the LA derby, has publicly criticized the inaction in Oakland and issued warnings in San Diego.

Those markets are way behind St. Louis in the stadium game, and Goodell's supportive view of St. Louis reflects that. Whenever Goodell has been asked about St. Louis in recent months, he hasn't hesitated to offer praise and encouragement.

Again, this doesn't mean the Rams will be staying in St. Louis.

It just means that Goodell and the league are willing to go on record to express respect for what's happened here so far. And on top of that, the league reinforces the message by telling Peacock and Blitz to keep going.

The NFL doesn't have to do that. It would be very simple Goodell to walk around STL questions and give non-answers. He could easily strike a detached, aloof pose by saying nothing more than the NFL is monitoring the situation in St. Louis and will continue to receive updates from Peacock and Blitz.

By praising St. Louis, Goodell chooses to put the league in a potentially tricky situation. If St. Louis fulfills the NFL's request for a stadium, if St. Louis follows the NFL's guidance to get it done, and if the commissioner has done nothing but offer St. Louis praise and encouragement, then how could the league suddenly abandon the market without just cause?

You don't tell a city to build a stadium, provide counsel, and continue to praise the city's efforts unless you have the integrity to follow through and give that city a fair and honest chance to keep its NFL franchise.

You don't throw around words like "tremendous" and give St. Louis the impression that it's headed in the right direction only to pivot and pretend that St. Louis doesn't exist when it's time to decide on the Rams' future.

So I'll take Goodell's encouragement at face value. I'd like to believe that he's being sincere, and interpret his encouragement as a positive sign.

Thanks for reading ...

- Bernie

bluecoconuts

Legend
Carson mayor confirmed that a member, Gloria, filed a letter to the Department of Finance.

The letter was about Carson losing out on millions of dollars by forgiving the debt that Carson Maketetplace owed the city (to go to the schools).

He confirmed that the city was supposed to get 3 million owed by Carson Marketplace (who owned the land before they gave it to the Chargers), but he said the Chargers agreed to pay that money instead.

He said that Gloria is from Inglewood, but Fred challenged him on that, saying she doesn't represent the Inglewood project, and he agreed that she doesn't, because she is an LA County official.

The mayor then says she is biased and he believes she is just trying to undermine Carson because she likes Inglewood more, so there's no basis or merit to the letter.

Fred said that she holds multiple positions, and is pretty well respected and doesn't buy that she is simply acting out of spite. He also warns the Carson mayor about his choice of words because they were pretty harsh, because she probably takes her job pretty seriously.

Carson mayor then says he doesn't believe it'll slow or delay the project, but something else could always come up (which was weird to say in my opinion).

I'm thinking it'll probably be a lot of nothing. Fred said he'll be contacting the Department of Finance later to see what they say.

Big Willie

Starter
This reads like the script of a terrible soap opera, with Stan playing the role of an unscrupulous land baron and the NFL starring as the greedy business owner who speaks out of both sides of his mouth. Add some sex, murder and improbable conclusions (those are coming) and you have the making of a hit series. Everyone loves a train wreck....and we sure as hell have one here. Time for Donald Trump to start the USFL 2 and put a team in St Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.