New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yeah I am not putting to much stock in the report but it just shows you how much information/misinformation is out there. Not to long ago he was positive the Rams were gone. Now not so much.

It's like he's throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. The Cardinals to the AFC West...really? Stan going rogue? He's shown no intentions of doing so, yet. He's complied with everything the NFL has required of him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
image.jpg
Anyone listen to what was said? I don't tend to believe random sources.

beej

Rookie
Can you honestly tell me if these sides had discussions starting two years ago that if these two sides had started off talking two years ago this current uncertainty would be happening?
you're dead on there but it was about 2 years ago that Stan decided to leave his phone off the hook, turned off his cell phone, and disconnected his dial up modem.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport is in San Francisco this week for the NFL owners meetings, where the topic of Los Angeles and relocation is a prominant topic of conversation. Rapoport popped in on The Ryan Kelley Morning After Thursday to talk about some of the latest developments.

Listen to Rapoport Talk Relocation Issues

-------------------------

Your take on what's going on with the two Los Angeles stadium projects:

"There's a lot of words. We go to these owners meetings...and whoever speaks...it doesn't really matter until there's a vote and know which teams are going to be there. We know there are two stadium projects and three teams who want to be there. But there's not really much to say until anybody knows what's going to happen."

It's clear Stan Kroenke wants out of St. Louis, right?

"What we know is that Stan Kroenke wants a viable, lucrative and beautiful stadium. If it works out in St. Louis in a way that hasn't yet...then I think he'd be OK with that too. The bottom line is he could change that (Hollywood Park) land in to condos if he wants. I don't know what his preference is. It's his prerogative...to have his options."

Raiders owner Mark Davis said the other day that St. Louis is not an option:

"It is not an option right now because St. Louis has a team. If the Rams do move...and Oakland is not viable, do I think Mark Davis would suddenly be open to a move to St. Louis? Yeah, I think he would."

If funding is there and we know the downtown St. Louis stadium can be built, what do you think the chances are St. Louis has a team in the future?

"I would say the chances would be...pretty good that St. Louis would have a team. I don't know for sure if it would be the Rams. There's so many variables. It's clear the city of St. Louis is far ahead of Oakland and San Diego in terms of stadium projects."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...rt-Talks-LA-Stadium-Projects-Rams-Future.aspx

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Apparently the Rams are announcing a move in August. But that doesnt make any sense to me. The NFL doesn't want a lame duck season.

Wouldn't that go against everything we have heard the NFL wants to do? The clouds are starting to get dark. A storm may be brewing.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't believe that the Rams are going to announce a move in August, that doesn't make any sense because they can't file yet.

There's articles from some guys saying that the Carson project is more likely to win because owners like Spanos and don't want to ditch St Louis after all their efforts, and articles saying that the Inglewood project is more likely to win do to better plan, and funding, and long term viability.... It seems that the meetings have brought about even more confusion.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
There's articles from some guys saying that the Carson project is more likely to win because owners like Spanos and don't want to ditch St Louis after all their efforts, and articles saying that the Inglewood project is more likely to win do to better plan, and funding, and long term viability.... It seems that the meetings have brought about even more confusion.
but isn't that precisely what the league has stated as their most important criteria?

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I realize that you just joined the forum on april 25th. Welcome! but everything that you just wrote has been hashed over and over again it always ends in, "well we'll just agree to disagree."

but just to summarize:
you'll say STL should have done more
a STLer will say we JUST built a stadium 12 years earlier
you'll say we should have planned ahead and never made the top25% clause
a STLer will say that was what they had to do
and eventually it will get brought up that there was a recession in 2008 and a new stadium for the cardinals in 2006, and we were still paying off the debt for the EJD.

I'm not trying to be mean or a jerk or anything, but you might want to start at the beginning and read through.

I know i responding to the other post. I agree since it's not relevant to now. The same way as comparing other cities such as Atlanta and Minnesota.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
So there are about 10 million sports writers and half of them assigned to the NFL. This is the off season and all they have to speak of are the owners meetings, team relocation and Bradys balls.

Opinions are like assholes cos everybody has one, and apparently so do NFL writers.
I have noticed that after each owner meeting the LA Inglewood buzz is loud and then the next 48 hours are mountains of counter points.

I hope the Rams can score as many points with their new O.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
So there are about 10 million sports writers and half of them assigned to the NFL. This is the off season and all they have to speak of are the owners meetings, team relocation and Bradys balls.

Opinions are like assholes cos everybody has one, and apparently so do NFL writers.
I have noticed that after each owner meeting the LA Inglewood buzz is loud and then the next 48 hours are mountains of counter points.

I hope the Rams can score as many points with their new O.

They also like to copy the other reporters articles and write the same article again but in their own words. How many times do we see Breer, Bernie, Vinny write a story and then the next day someone does the exact same article

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely. But you said both. Why should the city be held accountable and Stan not?

Of course, if you believe as I do that Stan intended from the purchase of the rest of the team to relocate than it explains why he never bothered to even ask about a new stadium.

Im not giving Stan a pass on anything. I do think though that if he's denied an LA move he will build his own stadium so the negotiating with St Louis is in his eyes unnecessary. Which is dirty but I don't tank he plans on his team being in a city owned stadium. Remember all the othe teams he(or his son) own he also owns the stadiums.

I'm undecided on if I think he will sell. On the one hand he hasn't turned over any of the other teams he own, aside from turning them to the company his son "owns". But aside from Arsenal I don't think any of them offered anywhere near as large of a return in either straight dollars or a percentafpge of investment.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This team really is great for my ulcers...No matter what happens Gentlemen....I cherish each and everyone of you and I hope some day we'll get a chance to sit back enjoy a Maker's Old Fashion and laugh, hopefully?
18031.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
I see, Superbowl 54 will be in 2021 but for the 2020-2021 Season. My bad. I don't think that time frame will make a huge impact on which project they decide to go with if they want to do what's best for the league. I'm sure they won't let a couple of years affect what would be best for them for the next 30 or so years. Just my opinion.

The only thing that makes me thing it could impact is the desire for the NFL to get LA done "right", I can't imagine that having these guys play 3 or 4 years in the Rose Bowl with 92,500 seats, or the Coliseum with 93,600 seats... Especially since the Coliseum being too big being part of why all three teams needed new digs in the first place. Dodger stadium is only 56,000 seats, that could be considered too small. You never know, but I'd assume the NFL wants the least amount of time in temporary venues. It's another plus for Inglewood, because the Rams can set up in the temporary gig, while the Chargers stay in San Diego giving them until it's completed, and then move if San Diego fails. So you have one team in a temporary stadium for two years, rather than two teams in a temporary stadium for three or four years. Especially since the temporary stadiums aren't ideal.

Maybe, maybe not, who knows at this point.

L.A. Super Bowl for 2021 could just as easily be in the Rose Bowl...the venue has hosted I think 5 previous Super Bowls and World Cup Finals and the annual Rose Bowl itself, and College title games...the reason the Rose Bowl (which was NEVER the home stadium of an LA team in the past yet STILL hosted the Super Bowl on numerous occasions) was removed from the Super Bowl "rotation" of New Orleans, Los Angeles and Miami was initially because the league rules say a team must play in the stadium's home MARKET...not the venue itself!

The idea that a 2021 Super Bowl in LA could ONLY happen in Inglewood is nothing more than pro-LA / pro-Inglewood spin. It COULD happen, sure...but its NOT the ONLY way a Super Bowl in LA happens for 2021.

I don't think the Rose Bowl is in play for a Super Bowl, and I don't think the NFL has any desire to push that. Given the comments from Grubman saying that the stadium would need to be in operation for a year, I'm going to say that if a Super Bowl happens in LA in that timeframe, it's an Inglewood. That doesn't mean they can't set a date further out if they want to go with Carson though, it just wont be that soon.

No offense, but you are stretching your own credibility to a thread with statements like that.
You REALLY think that is a plausible argument? That the clock on St. Louis should have started in 2005?

No.
Just no.

The team and the CVC were involved in a process that was governed by the lease. They still are. The Rams elected to convert the lease to a year-to-year starting...oh, yeah, THIS YEAR!!!
That means even before the team plays ONE game under a modified lease, St. Louis has a proposal in the works and one that has been deemed "viable" by the league.

St Louis knew what they were getting into when they signed that god awful lease to lure the team there, and they knew that time was running out in 2005 when the Rams let the top tier clause slide. We can be impressed by the speed that St Louis has moved since getting off their asses, but to pretend like they didn't know it was coming is just incorrect. St Louis got themselves into the situation with the poor lease, and being slow to act when they violated the terms of that lease. If they upheld their side of the lease then we wouldn't be here today, and when they decided it wasn't worth it, if they get something going before Kroenke took over, he may not have even wanted to take control, or when he did he works with the city to get a better stadium.

Maybe Kroenke takes over and stops negotiations and we're here again, then yeah that's different.

The fact is St Louis was slow to the table. They've been working fast and impressively since, but by taking too long to get there in the first place they could have set themselves up for failure.

It's a two way street, we can be upset at Stan wanting to move, but we also have to be upset at the city for dicking around playing politics.

but isn't that precisely what the league has stated as their most important criteria?

In terms of Los Angeles, yeah I believe so, but they also put a lot of importance in home markets, so they kind of screwed themselves there.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
If the Rams announce in August as miss Zelasko is alleging, then perhaps that is the pressure that is being reported regarding Kroenke. In other words he feels he can go rogue. Or (as the NFL Network handicapped yesterday) Rams - Chargers to Inglewood is the choice. Perhaps they've quietly been given the nod. I kind of doubt that and IMO it would be extremely foolish otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.