New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL-Rams

Starter

To all;

It's with considerable thought we've decided to open this thread.

Our policy on relocation has been simple; the topic is full of speculation and devisive. We believe productive discussion is possible on this subject, but it too often turns into a STL vs LA pissing match.

Should this topic turn into that; we'll close it down and deal with those individuals.

This is a FAN forum and we pride ourselves in that.

This is the only thread we will keep open on this subject.

If we have success and the topic stays open, any new posts or links should be moved into this thread. However; proceed with care...

ANYTHING THAT PUTS STL AGAINST LA IS NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED.

Sorry for the caps. But you get the point.

Post with class, ROD.

CGI

--------

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Kroenke-the-Rams-and-the-NFL-in-St-Louis.aspx
Latest Thoughts on Stan Kroenke, the Rams and the NFL in St. Louis

Shane Gray posted on January 08, 2015 11:12
By now, most everyone is aware of Sam Farmer's Los Angeles Times report that broke the news of St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke's plans to team up with Stockbridge Capital Group to construct an NFL stadium and multifaceted development at Hollywood Park -- a location that has been rumored as a potential league venue site since the mid 1990s.

As Farmer points out, there have been more than a dozen L.A. area stadium proposals that have come and gone over the last 20 years. Will the aforementioned Kroenke plan, however, finally be the one that goes from conceptualization to reality and ultimately bring the NFL back to L.A.? At this point at least, the answer to that question would appear to be a yes.

With that said, I would like to touch on a multitude of topics in response to the prospective Kroenke/Stockbridge Capital Group stadium development:

-As I have pointed out previously, there has never been a team relocate with a state of the art venue plan approved in its current market, even prior to the introduction of the NFL's relocation guidelines and certainly not since they were tweaked and tightened following the moving mayhem that took place in the 1990s. When considering how the NFL controls the L.A. market, that specific league guidelines are in place related to potential relocation and the above-mentioned historical precedence that no team has moved with an approved stadium plan in place at home, local fans have reason to maintain hopes of keeping the Rams in St. Louis.

-In spite of the thinking of a vast many observers, the Rams future is a long way from being decided.

(Happy new year, first of all, to ROD -- the best board around. Hope you enjoy the new read. Lots more via the full read below with new info/thoughts):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Kroenke-the-Rams-and-the-NFL-in-St-Louis.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Shane have you had any success getting in touch with anyone to comment at all about this?

Good work.......again, you've been on top of the whole thing from the very start, and let me tell you some fans/posters are really clueless about this and need to take some time to read a bit so they are better informed. Especially your last piece on SK and moving.

But don't let that go to your head, mmmkay.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shane have you had any success getting in touch with anyone to comment at all about this?

Good work.......again, you've been on top of the whole thing from the very start, and let me tell you some fans/posters are really clueless about this and need to take some time to read a bit so they are better informed. Especially your last piece on SK and moving.

But don't let that go to your head, mmmkay.

Thanks, Les. I appreciate the comments you shared there. I've put a ton of time into this topic going back several years and it feels good to see folks appreciate that.

As for people talking, getting them to talk and getting them to talk on the record is often two different things.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Great stuff, Shane. I, for one, have always been one that thinks that Silent Stan has been silent and is making these moves to intimidate and get the best possible deal in STL. I may be completely wrong in that thinking, but if he ever came out and said, "I'm fully committed to keeping the Rams in St. Louis and getting a deal done"... he loses all leverage. As you mentioned in your article, many other owners have used the threat of a move to LA to get what they want and it's worked... we'll see.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

By now, most everyone is aware of Sam Farmer's Los Angeles Times report that broke the news of St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke's plans to team up with Stockbridge Capital Group to construct an NFL stadium and multifaceted development at Hollywood Park -- a location that has been rumored as a potential league venue site since the mid 1990s.

As Farmer points out, there have been more than a dozen L.A. area stadium proposals that have come and gone over the last 20 years. Will the aforementioned Kroenke plan, however, finally be the one that goes from conceptualization to reality and ultimately bring the NFL back to L.A.? At this point at least, the answer to that question would appear to be a yes.

With that said, I would like to touch on a multitude of topics in response to the prospective Kroenke/Stockbridge Capital Group stadium development:

-As I have pointed out previously, there has never been a team relocate with a state of the art venue plan approved in its current market, even prior to the introduction of the NFL's relocation guidelines and certainly not since they were tweaked and tightened following the moving mayhem that took place in the 1990s. When considering how the NFL controls the L.A. market, that specific league guidelines are in place related to potential relocation and the above-mentioned historical precedence that no team has moved with an approved stadium plan in place at home, local fans have reason to maintain hopes of keeping the Rams in St. Louis.

-In spite of the thinking of a vast many observers, the Rams future is a long way from being decided.

(Happy new year, first of all, to ROD -- the best board around. Hope you enjoy the new read. Lots more via the full read below with new info/thoughts):

Thanks for picking this up Shane. I'll pose my questions on the original article as I suspect this will get locked.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thanks, Les. I appreciate the comments you shared there. I've put a ton of time into this topic going back several years and it feels good to see folks appreciate that.

As for people talking, getting them to talk and getting them to talk on the record is often two different things.

You've done the most work and have written the most complete articles so you deserve the pat on the back.

I have a little feeling this is a play for land and tax abatement.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice read, Shane.

If it does turn out that Kroenke is doing all of this to get the ultimate leverage and he wins (STL builds a really nice stadium), don't you think he'll have a lot of damage control to deal with?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Hi Shane,

Good work again, as always. Nice read.

Question: Are you personally, based upon your work on this issue, optimistic that the Rams will stay in St. Louis?

RamBill

Legend
The Rams, relocation and free agency
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15273/the-rams-relocation-and-free-agency

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Given the up in the air status of the St. Louis Rams when it comes to their future in the city, it stands to reason that their goal of improving the team through free agency could be made more difficult this year.

But general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher don't believe that the possibility of the Rams moving to Los Angeles after the 2015 season will have much of an impact on their ability to sign free agents.

“I don’t think that’s going to be an issue," Fisher said. "I really don’t. I went through it before. I went down that path before and we didn’t have any problems with uncertainty because that’s what you’re talking about right now is uncertainty.”

Snead points out that most players on the free-agent market are already going to be going through a move if they choose to go elsewhere and many players don't set up a permanent home in the NFL city in which they play.

"I’m going to say no in that we have gotten to this era of free agency, especially with the window of early negotiation where players aren’t taking visits anymore," Snead said. "So what you’re finding is that money is one and usually it’s who is coaching them next. Players are like anybody. They will do their research with their peers, other peers and they are either going to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on that coach. You’re seeing it with that first wave. Players aren’t taking visits and being wooed like in years past."

Asked about older veterans who might have children and a family and want to buy a house, Snead offered a moment of honesty about the reality of the situation.

"I think with the dynamic going on with that particular player, that would be a good discussion they would have," Snead said. "I betcha they’re not buying a house. Now what you’ll probably find with an NFL player is they’re used to being a transient."

As with most things when it comes to the business of the NFL -- and frankly the reason the Rams might be on the move in the first place -- money trumps all. The old hip hop axiom "Cash Rules Everything Around Me" applies in this context as well with the coaching staff in a given place coming in a distant second.

"That’s usually what you've found," Snead said. "The money has got to be very similar. There’s no hometown discount. There is, but it’s not significant. That’s the way it’s been, you bring them in for the physical and they’ve already agreed. That’s this generation. A facility is a facility. Heck, nowadays when you get drafted and come to the NFL, the facility is a downgrade. That’s when you have the most problem, it’s 'Oh, this is where I’m working.'”

In other words, any success the Rams have in free agency this year will be a direct result of how much money they're willing to spend for a given player. Just like any other year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To all;

Our policy on relocation has been simple; the topic is full of speculation and devisive. We believe productive discussion is possible on this subject, but it too often turns into a STL vs LA pissing match.

Should this topic turn into that; we'll close it down and deal with those individuals.

If we have success and the topic stays open, any new posts or links should be moved into this thread. However; proceed with care...

Post with class, ROD.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
tumblr_ma0rdvX6eS1qhy3t9o4_250.gif

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks for making this very difficult decision ROD management props to you for facing this and trusting us the community to keep it considerate and respectful.
As an LA resident and native I am pledging my allegiance to the Rams irrespective of location and our great fan base no matter how large or small, with a great portion and the portion that is most dear to me right here on the ROD. I want to wish all those hoping to keep the Rams in the Lou good Luck and I truly mean that. Remember we are fans and we are family. Now to the Rams please don't hold us hostage or take advantage of us to increase your leverage. Lets end this mystery sooner than later with respect to all concerned.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Last I heard, Chargers' owner Dean Spanos says he believes he has the nine votes to prevent Kroenke from moving (if that's what he intends to do). I heard a lot of stuff about Kroenke doing whatever he wants anyway, even without league approval, but I have a hard time believing he can just go rogue like that.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
To all;

Post with class, ROD.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Thank you Shane. Nice read. I think it is awesome that this forum is trying to share this information and are taking on the responsibility of moderating it to where it doesn't get out of control. Kudos for opening the discussion a bit. The whole, 100% banned thing kinda bugs me because I like to depend on this site and its users on all my Rams related news. I do however understand the division it creates for the board. So I appreciate this.

My question would just be how St.louis creating a new stadium would increase the value of the team that much. From what I can tell our stadium is not one of the worst in the league (about middle of the pack) yet the Rams are listed as one of the least valuable teams. The teams with the most value tend to be teams that own the majority of their stadium, which we currently do not. My point being, any team moving to St.Louis to use either the EJD or a new stadium would not see that much increase in the value of their team since the city of St.Louis would still own the stadium, the franchise would not. Sure maybe value increases a tad because a team has access to a fancy new stadium and wouldn't be dealing with the uncertainty that we are facing now, but that would just be temporary. Appraisals on anything bigger than an average home are typically a joke anyways.

As far as the fate of Rams in St.Louis, I think Shane hit it on the nail that it is way to early to be definitive with any conclusion. They could go to LA or the could stay in St.Louis. All we really know if that 2015 is going to held in St.Louis.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Until we see a reaction to the Peacock/Blitz stadium proposal from Kroenke, I'm operating under the assumption that this is still a leverage play.

But, I think it's more than a typical leverage play. I think he'll develop no matter what, but focusing on the retail/shopping around the stadium as that is what the Kroenke Group does the best. It's all about the strip malls.

Status
Not open for further replies.