MMQB - Oopsed when I merged. This is Den's Dysfunction thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fisher and Snead have for the most part pulled the Rams out of the Linehan/Spagnuolo gutter and stocked the team with some good players on both sides of the ball and on special teams, but now there needs to be a new plan and new people to take this team to the next level.
Probably so. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen coaches in several sports be able to get a team close but just not quite over the hump. Then another coach comes in and ... viola. No guarantees of course but who knows.

Lets see the upside pal. Without this stuff this board will be boring with a 4-8 record. I say there is an ancillary benefit to this. we are all jamming here.
Yeah.... nope. This place doesn't need a coaching controversy to be hopping. And frankly, we could do with a little less of it. It is certainly a topic for discussion and I'm not saying it isn't. But when it is topic A, B, and C for some people that in itself makes for a pretty boring time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Say a scout got upset with Fisher's comments and wanted to do something about it. Do you think the scout will put their name on the comments and inside they leaked out?
Not at all. What I'm saying is that at some point, there has to be facts to back it up - not some vague reference.

Do you think a reporter will put their credibility on the line for a story like this?
Shit - Florio has been wrong more than he's been right. How has that worked out for him and his unnamed sources?

It's not like Breer is trying to make a name for himself.
Of course he is. He is only 36 and though he has had some gigs with medium sized papers, he is a freaking sports blogger. He absolutely is trying to make a bigger name for himself.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Next thing we know, some front office scrub will be threatening to slash Fisher's throat.

For those who don't get the "throat slasher" comment made earlier, here's a refresher from the way-back machine.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2161515

ST. LOUIS -- An executive with the St. Louis Rams will be reprimanded for leaving a threatening phone message on the voice mail of a St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist.

The Rams told the Post-Dispatch that team executive Samir Suleiman faces discipline, but declined to say what it would be. A call to the Rams on Wednesday was not returned.

"It's shocking that he would leave a message like that," Rams president John Shaw told the Post-Dispatch. "It's the type of behavior that we don't condone at any level. He will be
reprimanded, and it will be handled internally."

On Aug. 28, sports columnist Bernie Miklasz wrote that he was disturbed by "infighting and politics" within the Rams organization, and said executives owe any head coach their support.

"Be it [Mike] Martz or another man, I don't care who sits in the head coach's office at Rams Park. The head coach should be backed, not back-stabbed, by associates," Miklasz wrote.

Suleiman left a message on Miklasz's voice mail, stating, in part, "tell your source that I'm not a back-stabber, I'm a [expletive] throat slasher, and he'll know the difference before it's all said and done."

Suleiman, director of football administration, has worked for the Rams for six years. He assists president of football operations Jay Zygmunt on salary cap issues and contract negotiations.

Shaw said the phone message showed "a lack of judgment. I really don't understand it, to be honest with you."

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I'm avoiding talk radio out here in LA. It's ugly. All these reports coming out and everything is just TOO much. I know I'm not the most cheerful bastard on here, but it's holiday season and I really don't want to be so damn sour at this time of year. ( or any time of year )

As negative and critical of the team as I can be... nothing made me feel worse than being at the Carolina game and hearing the boos rain down and the " We Want Goff" chants. I just looked around and shook my head. I looked at my friend and just said "WOOOWW!" Unreal. It was barely like our 4th home game back in LA!

That was just the beginning. That snowflake hit the mountainside and its rolling on down and getting bigger by the day.... :help:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I support Snead 100% and think he should be elevated to a true GM status. We have better talent than we've had in years. It's clear as day that the teams failures are a result of coaching and scheme.

Let Snead pick our new coach. Then we will know for sure where the problem lies.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Fisher seems to be all about the optics - what do people think about him? What's his reputation?
He wants the players to think he's a great guy who is their buddy.
He wants the fans to think he's a down-to-earth coach who players would run through a wall for.
He wants people to think he's the leader of the team, with all decisions running through him.
He wants people to think that bad decisions ran through someone else.

Matt Patricia, people. You need a Matt Patricia in your lives. The Jeff Fisher Day Spa for Athletes Who Can't Handle Someone Who Talked Negatively About Them On The Sidelines needs to close if the Rams are to become a contender.

With all due respect, NE assistants have not faired well as HC. I also think we need someone who understands the vertical passing game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The LA market doesn't just call for player or coaches heads, it also jettisoned 2 owners the past few years.

Frank McCourt and Donald Sterling may have survived a different market.

No effing way either of those guy would have gotten out alive ANYWHERE. Dead men walking in any location in the nation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Forgot all about that. Barely rings a bell now but it's starting to tug on the rope.
Yeah, I see @Prime Time posted an article about it, but that just scratches the surface.
I always thought that was a pretty hardcore line Samir offered though. I've used it a few times over the years myself.

FRO

Legend
I support Snead 100% and think he should be elevated to a true GM status. We have better talent than we've had in years. It's clear as day that the teams failures are a result of coaching and scheme.

Let Snead pick our new coach. Then we will know for sure where the problem lies.
The talent is better than the 15-65 Rams, but it's nowhere near good enough. This isn't 100% coaching's fault. Blame goes everywhere.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/08/rams-have-no-comment-on-report-of-dysfunction/

Rams have no comment on report of dysfunction
Posted by Mike Florio on December 8, 2016

492269478-e1481237607635.jpg
Getty Images

Thursday began with a bit of a bombshell from Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com regarding the extent of the dysfunction in the Rams organization. Recent comments from coach Jeff Fisher deemed critical of the team’s personnel function became the catalyst for anonymous quotes from an unnamed Rams source criticizing Fisher for an apparent effort to shift blame.

The Rams have no comment regarding the report, pointing out that Fisher likely would address the situation at his next press conference. It’s scheduled for Friday at approximately 3:30 p.m. ET.

Fisher, who faced repeated questions last week regarding Eric Dickerson’s relentless effort to get Fisher fired, surely will be pressed for his reaction to the news that someone in the organization criticized him without attaching a name to it.

“It pissed me off because I knew it was meant as a shot,” the unnamed Rams source told Breer regarding Fisher’s apparent attempt to shirk blame for the quality of the roster. “You see it under that umbrella — ‘We need to do a better job in personnel.’ OK, but you want everyone to think that you have full control. You can’t have it both ways, and it can’t always be the talent. Look at the roster, 2012 to now. In ’12, Jeff did a masterful job with what he was given. But we’ve gotten more talent, and we’ve gotten worse.”

There can be little doubt that Fisher wanted, and acquired, full control in 2012. After Fisher picked the Rams over the Dolphins, he told Michael Silver (then of Yahoo! Sports) that Fisher wanted to be able to run the show.

“At the end of the day I wanted the ability to have final say, with a General Manager I could build something with,” Fisher said.

So, basically, all roads lead back to Fisher, both as to coaching and as to personnel. If there’s a problem with coaching, it’s ultimately on him. If there’s a problem with personnel, it’s ultimately on him.

On Friday, it’ll be interesting to see how questions from reporters about these realities ultimately are answered.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/08/rams-have-no-comment-on-report-of-dysfunction/

Rams have no comment on report of dysfunction
Posted by Mike Florio on December 8, 2016

492269478-e1481237607635.jpg
Getty Images

Thursday began with a bit of a bombshell from Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com regarding the extent of the dysfunction in the Rams organization. Recent comments from coach Jeff Fisher deemed critical of the team’s personnel function became the catalyst for anonymous quotes from an unnamed Rams source criticizing Fisher for an apparent effort to shift blame.

The Rams have no comment regarding the report, pointing out that Fisher likely would address the situation at his next press conference. It’s scheduled for Friday at approximately 3:30 p.m. ET.

Fisher, who faced repeated questions last week regarding Eric Dickerson’s relentless effort to get Fisher fired, surely will be pressed for his reaction to the news that someone in the organization criticized him without attaching a name to it.

“It pissed me off because I knew it was meant as a shot,” the unnamed Rams source told Breer regarding Fisher’s apparent attempt to shirk blame for the quality of the roster. “You see it under that umbrella — ‘We need to do a better job in personnel.’ OK, but you want everyone to think that you have full control. You can’t have it both ways, and it can’t always be the talent. Look at the roster, 2012 to now. In ’12, Jeff did a masterful job with what he was given. But we’ve gotten more talent, and we’ve gotten worse.”

There can be little doubt that Fisher wanted, and acquired, full control in 2012. After Fisher picked the Rams over the Dolphins, he told Michael Silver (then of Yahoo! Sports) that Fisher wanted to be able to run the show.

“At the end of the day I wanted the ability to have final say, with a General Manager I could build something with,” Fisher said.

So, basically, all roads lead back to Fisher, both as to coaching and as to personnel. If there’s a problem with coaching, it’s ultimately on him. If there’s a problem with personnel, it’s ultimately on him.

On Friday, it’ll be interesting to see how questions from reporters about these realities ultimately are answered.

See what Florio did there?

Repeat supposition as fact.

I call bullshit on this.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
True enough. And in looking around the league, is it the norm to have far better results? Or is it that a few teams have done it or maintained it and damn it - we should be one of them. We certainly should be one of them - said every fan in existence.

Of course they should be held accountable. Are there reasons that might indicate they are not QUITE as bad as the fans want to say? I can see several but then in the grand scheme of things, they are no better than excuses for losing.

I get that Fisher and Snead have had what would appear to be plenty of time. I even agree with that idea. But I find it a hard sell that he has been the worst thing since burnt toast (which for some reason my uncle loves). I also find it a hard sell that if he is indeed back as our HC that Stan and KD have simply ignored what the fans all see. I find it at least as hard a sell that 90% of the coaching candidates I have seen bandied about would be better than what we have or that they haven't been looked at as a possible replacement.

It's going to be what it's going to be. If Fisher is on the sidelines next season, I will simply hope that he, his players, and his coaches have figured something out that they clearly have not demonstrated to this point. And that something appears to me to be how to make those 5 to 10 plays that winning teams make with pretty good regularity.

Right? That whole time I was expecting him to get in front of the mics and say, "Nope. Can't win with this guy. I'm going to be straight up with you guys. We haven't got a snowball's chance in hell if this guy is throwing the ball for us."

We act as if not only were there a bunch of can't miss QBs in the draft over the past 5 years but also that there were a bunch of FAs that would have been massive upgrades.

I agree that Winston and Marriota looked to be the real deal but honestly, the jury is still out on both of them. And I don't think ANYONE suggested we should have traded what it would have taken to get either of them at that point in time. Garroppolo has no where near the play time to give him a grade. David Carr's little brother was considered a reach when Oakland drafted him (Fresno State doesn't exactly play a bunch of great teams) but looks to be pretty good.

How many franchise QBs have hit the market? Osweiller? Seriously? I'd take Case over him all things considered. All you have to do is look at Shaun Hill and realize he is still a 2nd string QB to realize how seriously pathetic the FA market has been for QBs.

Bottom line: I'm not going to agree with the idea that Fisher is our worst option no matter how popular the thought. I would like to see us try something new but I'm not going to spend a huge amount of energy blasting the guy or the franchise for resigning him. And I'm certainly not going to let virtually every post I make here be about the subject.

Go Rams!

my god someone with some common sense. thank you for that. the fire everyone doom and gloom is getting to me

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right? That whole time I was expecting him to get in front of the mics and say, "Nope. Can't win with this guy. I'm going to be straight up with you guys. We haven't got a snowball's chance in hell if this guy is throwing the ball for us."

We act as if not only were there a bunch of can't miss QBs in the draft over the past 5 years but also that there were a bunch of FAs that would have been massive upgrades.
Here's the rub though, Fisher took over a 7 win team that had crashed to 2 wins in a large part due to injury. Bradford being one of the injured and the QB that backed him up were dreadful. And then his 2nd season as HC, his plans were derailed because of injury to #8 primarily.
So would I expect him to say "Nope. Can't win with this guy. I'm going to be straight up with you guys. We haven't got a snowball's chance in hell if this guy is throwing the ball for us.", of course not, because given the circumstances and him knowing what was at stake with injury, he'd be more prepared. So yeah, when he said that he could win with Hill, Foles and now Keenum I truly believe he meant it and believed it. Because that's the type of QB they needed to back up.
When you are all in on your franchise QB, because they have a proven record, you could see where teams would risk being light on backup, like the Colts were with Manning, the Packers with Rodgers, the Giants with Manning. And when the Cowboys tried to sneak by with an oft injured Romo, it bit them. So what did they do? They went out and drafted a QB they could groom