MMQB - Oopsed when I merged. This is Den's Dysfunction thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bruce2980

Starter
Who was the QB that was going to do that in year 3 or 4?
Which ever QB that Fisher decide to put on his team either through trade or draft. He had many options, and with a "run first team" a game manager could have won some games.
No Bradford was his guy and then he got hurt again and Hill was the back up. Keenum was the place holder for Goff. Goff was not ready to start so Keenum got to play.
Goff would disagree with you he said, he was ready along time ago, but it wasn't his decision when to play.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
It could be that the glare of the spotlight is a lot brighter in LA than it was in St. Louis.
Ding ding ding. All the same stuff was happening in St Louis, but since we are flyover country the national media normally doesn't show much of a spotlight on us. I mean how many national stories are done on the Titans or Jaguars, or other like market teams. Now how many stories are done on the Jets, Patriots, or Cowboys. The larger market teams get the national attention, plain and simple. What you are seeing now is the curtain pulled back a little bit with the Rams whereas it wasn't before in the smaller market.

FRO

Legend
I never really understood the parameters of the Snead / Fisher relationship. Who's the Pappy and who's the Grandpappy?

This article just confused me even more.

I'd like to know who's name is tied to each draft pick and who's name is tied to each draft pick that got away.
For example. There has to be someone in the organization that liked A. Jeffrey over B. Quick.
Lots of teams were down on Jeffrey in 2012. That being said Snead was a Quick guy. There is an article about how he brought him up in the interview with the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To me the only solution is to clean house and rebuild the front office. Current group has failed. The team has good young attractive pieces to attract a good coach/GM.

Fro wouldn't the fact that the roster has young attractive pieces be an indicator that Snead is worth keeping and possibly Fisher. But this is more about Snead. Guys who find talent are as hard to find as franchise QB's. Snead is good. If you get someone that turns out to bo poor, and most of them fail, then you reset the clock 6 years into the future. 3 years while the new guys messes it up and 3 years hopefully to fix it.

IMO not worth the risk.

And please, please, tell him to bring the EP offense!

And some TE's.

And there was this few days ago. I wonder if front office wanted to get Asshole Face as coach with Goff as his QB.

I'm not sure I believe Breen and he got called on it on his Twitter page when I followed the link.

well Fisher did say WE not THEY. im not sure how you guys read he is blaming Snead for anything.

I agree 100%

Damn, these guys move to LA and all this drama pops up. Unreal. I just want to watch a fun and promising football team. We don't need this crap.

This is the LA media.

I have inside sources that say the inside source was none other than Todd Hewitt!

This is funny as fuck.

Exactly. And - so that I have this straight - Fisher said they have had some misfortune with some of their picks in Sted and Mason and that has become throwing Snead under the bus? MMQB has pretty much had exactly zero good things to say about the Rams since they began. Notice their steadfast MO. Unnamed sources, innuendos, unsubstantiated horseshit to come back around to a narrative they are trying to make a story out of.

Look - I'll admit that saying they have had some unfortunate issues with some of their picks seemed like a pretty lame excuse by Fisher. But saying it was him throwing Les under the bus and then making it into a soap opera story line is just MMQB at its finest.

This is the LA media.

It could be that the glare of the spotlight is a lot brighter in LA than it was in St. Louis.

This is the LA media.

I explain why I said that a few times.

I've worked with multiple types of media (network and cable stations, newspapers, radio stations all of it) in multiple markets for many years and spent time working for a group of radio stations as NTR and Promotions Director. One of the stations was an ESPN affiliate.

And I have a theory.

This is solely based on sports reporting. Not news like the evening news or national political shows and so on.

You would think that a larger market, with so many more outlets than a mid sized market would be more on top of things because it's so competitive. But it's not that way.

Of course media outlets in any market want to have more listeners/viewers/eyeballs than competitors and one would naturally think they would work harder or smarter or do better reporting. But it only works out that way about half the time. In other words half do the good work and the other half become Jerry Springers. I can go into a little bit of detail if anyone cares. There is actually a term for it......I can't recall what it is now. It's speech based I think. The term doesn't apply to the media but lots of people in the media use the style of delivery/talk.

So in comparison LA will have about 6 times as many good ones and six times as many bad ones as a market the size of STL. So there is more "noise" but not really any more factual reporting. Because the "good stuff" while coming from multiple sources is mostly the same information. But the bad stuff gets twisted, changed, outright changed and so on and then you end up with a lot of negative, crappy, inaccurate "reporting" or opinions that are over the top and full of suppositions, hype and drama, then get presented as fact.

Also consider the market itself and it's culture. Hype, reality show, drama, entertain, and so on. LA and NYC are the two biggest markets in the nation. Look at how their sports teams are reported by the local media. There is a difference in the cultures and it's visible and in the media and how it gets its message out about players/coaches/teams/owners and all the rest.

The poor quality outlets will put out more/different poor quality stuff, because they don't have to stick to real reporting and facts and analysis that has some accuracy. So they will find different crap to puke up. Therefore it looks like there is more crap going on than there actually is.

I hope that makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ding ding ding. All the same stuff was happening in St Louis, but since we are flyover country the national media normally doesn't show much of a spotlight on us. I mean how many national stories are done on the Titans or Jaguars, or other like market teams. Now how many stories are done on the Jets, Patriots, or Cowboys. The larger market teams get the national attention, plain and simple. What you are seeing now is the curtain pulled back a little bit with the Rams whereas it wasn't before in the smaller market.
There doesn't need to be any curtain being pulled back for the hacks to make a story. A large market doesn't mean there is anything more being unearthed. Quite the contrary. Often it means people making mountains out of mole hills because it sells clicks.

FRO

Legend
Wait. I missed the memo that had Fisher saying the Goff pick was against his wishes.
It came from Keyshawn Johnson, not sure what his track record is with accurate reports. I believe he was starting up a radio show and sometimes big time "scoops" like that even if false do a great job of getting their name out there. Not to say it isn't true, but there is no way of knowing right now. I suspect years down the road we will like Shanahan and RGIII.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The LA market doesn't just call for player or coaches heads, it also jettisoned 2 owners the past few years.

Frank McCourt and Donald Sterling may have survived a different market.

FRO

Legend
There doesn't need to be any curtain being pulled back for the hacks to make a story. A large market doesn't mean there is anything more being unearthed. Quite the contrary. Often it means people making mountains out of mole hills because it sells clicks.
That's not the point at all. As opposed to Jim Thomas and a few other print and TV guys walking around Rams park in earth city you now have many more people doing digging. It in no way has to be accurate, but now you have more people filing reports on the Rams than you every have had. More negative stuff will be reported. Doesn't have to be true, but doesn't necessarily mean it's false.

FRO

Legend
The LA market doesn't just call for player or coaches heads, it also jettisoned 2 owners the past few years.

Frank McCourt and Donald Sterling may have survived a different market.
They probably would have survived in St Louis because the attention on them would be fairly small and they could more easily throw their weight around. In St Louis the media is fairly laid back. You have a few tough guys calling for heads to roll, but generally the sports media are comprised of fans of the team with media jobs. Rarely does it get contentious. The toughest one they have been on that I have known is Tony LaRussa and he was a hall of fame manager.

Bruce2980

Starter
so a drafted QB would have lead us to the playoffs his first year? Bradford was hurt in the middle of the season the first year then in preseason after the draft. if Bradford was on this team this year we would be in the playoff hunt no problem. never heard fisher say Keenum would take us to the playoffs. we sure in hell weren't going to go to the playoffs with Clemens,hill or that scrub we had last year that couldn't throw 15yrds when he had to move his feet. I still don't see FA QB that you can name that would have taken this team to the playoffs. foles was the best option by far and he busted.
Fisher said this team is too talented to go 7-9 this year, he's not settling for 8-8 or 9-7 or even 10-6. 10-6 my friend in playoff team, and Keenum was his guy that gave them the best chance to win, he said that repeatedly throughout the season. He also said Goff wasn't ready to play and Goff contradicted Fisher's statement recently by saying that he was ready to play along time ago but wasn't able to chose when he could play.

FRO

Legend
Man this thing is really in a ditch. It feels much worse than things were after the 15-65 stretch. It feels like a golden opportunity was wasted. Fans are fed up with the coach. Coach seems to be in good with the team. Bad reports after bad reports from the media. It's not a fun optimistic time. 2012 felt like we would have a great team in 5 years. This isn't what I envisioned. So sad.

MountainRam

Rookie
Man this thing is really in a ditch. It feels much worse than things were after the 15-65 stretch. It feels like a golden opportunity was wasted. Fans are fed up with the coach. Coach seems to be in good with the team. Bad reports after bad reports from the media. It's not a fun optimistic time. 2012 felt like we would have a great team in 5 years. This isn't what I envisioned. So sad.

What if this is just the start? :hiding:

FRO

Legend
What if this is just the start? :hiding:
Things can't possibly get worse than 15-65 were on the field, but all the ancillary stuff is really bad right now. You can almost feel the tension within the organization like it was during the end of the Martz era.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It was a failure because they brought in Nick Foles to run their offense, and he was awful.

Let'a not forget the common denominator for the failures of Rams QB's, besides injuries, the inept offensive lines. It seems that Foles has played pretty well with the Chiefs while subbing for Alex Smith. And Sam Bradford played well for the Vikings until their O-line fell apart.

He's been successful at NE, correct?

I assume you're speaking here of Matt Patricia? If so, how many from the Bill Belichick tree have turned out to be good head coaches? If I remember correctly, that has not worked out well for those who leave the Patriots system. This is the one thing that would worry me about hiring this coach.

That being said Snead was a Quick guy.

As I recall, Quick wowed the coaching staff during a private workout. Sometimes that works out well but in this case it hasn't, at least not so far. He has the physical skills but the rest hasn't clicked.

What falls squarely on Jeff Fisher's shoulders is the undisciplined play by his players, game after game, season after season, foolish penalties, defensive players not staying in lanes or not knowing who to cover, offensive players jumping before the ball is snapped, on and on and on, etc.

What falls squarely on Snead's shoulders is the lack of depth.

As much as I, and the rest of us, detest the Patriots organization, they have had success using the motto "Do your job." That applies not only to the players but to the coaching staff and the front office. That has not happened and they need to be held responsible.

Fisher and Snead have for the most part pulled the Rams out of the Linehan/Spagnuolo gutter and stocked the team with some good players on both sides of the ball and on special teams, but now there needs to be a new plan and new people to take this team to the next level.

MountainRam

Rookie
Things can't possibly get worse than 15-65 were on the field, but all the ancillary stuff is really bad right now. You can almost feel the tension within the organization like it was during the end of the Martz era.

Lets see the upside pal. Without this stuff this board will be boring with a 4-8 record. I say there is an ancillary benefit to this. we are all jamming here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
you now have many more people doing digging.
And this is not entirely accurate either. I'm not saying you are absolutely not going to get more information from having more eyes. What I am saying is that you cannot take it for granted that a story is true because of it. I rarely give credence to reporters that constantly have as their only verification, an unnamed source. That just happens to be the case with MMQB and frankly too much of the sports media outlets. Often, their only source is actually heresy from another reporter who got it from another unnamed source. But because it is a huge market - they can get mileage out of absolutely nothing.

There could be something to it. But the odds of there being actually nothing to it are IMO higher in a large market than in a small one because - quite frankly - no one bats an eye or clicks on it if they are talking about something that supposedly happened in St Louis or Cincinatti unless they live in those markets. Much more to be gained by making something out of nothing if you're talking about LA.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I assume you're speaking here of Matt Patricia? If so, how many from the Bill Belichick tree have turned out to be good head coaches? If I remember correctly, that has not worked out well for those who leave the Patriots system. This is the one thing that would worry me about hiring this coach.

giphy.gif

FRO

Legend
And this is not entirely accurate either. I'm not saying you are absolutely not going to get more information from having more eyes. What I am saying is that you cannot take it for granted that a story is true because of it. I rarely give credence to reporters that constantly have as their only verification, an unnamed source. That just happens to be the case with MMQB and frankly too much of the sports media outlets. Often, their only source is actually heresy from another reporter who got it from another unnamed source. But because it is a huge market - they can get mileage out of absolutely nothing.

There could be something to it. But the odds of there being actually nothing to it are IMO higher in a large market than in a small one because - quite frankly - no one bats an eye or clicks on it if they are talking about something that supposedly happened in St Louis or Cincinatti unless they live in those markets. Much more to be gained by making something out of nothing if you're talking about LA.
Say a scout got upset with Fisher's comments and wanted to do something about it. Do you think the scout will put their name on the comments and inside they leaked out? Do you think a reporter will put their credibility on the line for a story like this? It's not like Breer is trying to make a name for himself.

The reason more national stories are written about the LA Rams than the St Louis Rams is because far more people live in LA. Nothing more and nothing less. It's one of the biggest markets in the country. That's why it gets more attention.