Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
@Tano

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

Comparing Goff & Wentz' terrific starts to the 2017 NFL season
BY SAM MONSON

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz both threw four touchdowns in Week 9 and presided over 51-point performances from their offenses as each young quarterback continues to make huge strides in Year 2 of their NFL careers.

The Eagles under Wentz are 8-1 and arguably the best team in football, while the Rams are 6-2 and atop the NFC West, one game ahead of the Seahawks.

%5E15B0C91320A785EFB80C59D23886F4C4A23F8944EC8276ED2F%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

It’s difficult to overstate just how far each quarterback has come since their rookie seasons. While Wentz started his NFL career on fire, after the first few weeks he struggled badly and ended the season ranked 20th overall by the end of the year, just one spot ahead of Matt Barkley. Goff didn’t see the field until late November, but there were very few signs of life from his first season in the league, albeit in a fairly toxic broader environment before the staff was overhauled in the offseason.

Goff’s situation has been completely refurbished for his second season. The team shipped out Greg Robinson – one of the worst left tackles in football – and signed Andrew Whitworth in free agency, who has just had his fourth game of perfect pass protection already this year. Whitworth has been one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the game for years, and alone represents a huge upgrade in Goff’s situation in the pocket.

This season he has been pressured on 33 percent of his dropbacks, but as a rookie that was up at 44 percent. In addition to Whitworth, the team has also had improved play at center with John Sullivan reviving his NFL career. Goff’s receiving corps has also been completely remodelled, and the scheme under Sean McVay plays more to his strengths, so we are seeing a dramatic improvement in overall play.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/927556826622775296

Wentz has also benefitted hugely from the scheme being tailored to suit his play. The Eagles run more run-pass option plays than anybody else in the league. They have run almost 100 RPOs (98) over the season, and no other side has more than 65.

The Eagles have been able to simplify the offense and put defenders in a bind while playing to the athleticism of Wentz. Look no further than the first touchdown pass he threw this week against the Broncos. The Eagles packaged a zone run to the left (with Jay Ajayi as the running back), with an option run to the right optioning Von Miller, and then Alshon Jeffery’s little fake screen and ‘go’ route down the sideline, which caught out CB Aqib Talib for the score.

This play can effectively be any one of three distinct things, all of which the defense has to try and account for, but it limits what it asks of Wentz to a couple of simple reads pre and post-snap to make the play. These RPOs have been a huge part of the team’s success and the development at QB of Wentz.

%5EA58F7BAAF8DB7BE5EF7D1F924BB0FC47A9A523FDC42DAB84B7%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

Within this system, he has been excelling, and is currently our No. 6 ranked QB with an overall PFF grade of 84.4. Wentz has been able to use the scheme to make huge plays all season, and is also sixth in the league in the percentage of passing yards which have come in the air – i.e. before yards after the catch are taken into consideration.

Wentz also has the league’s No. 1 passer rating on third down at 125.1, and has made a sequence of big plays on third and long all season to give him the league’s best PFF grade on third downs.

Both Goff and Wentz have taken huge steps forward in their sophomore seasons, but both also owe a huge amount to the situation improving around them. With both teams enjoying success, that isn’t likely to change, and we will get to witness two players that have every chance to fulfil their potential and reach their as still undefined ceilings.

the numbers don't lie...eye test doesn't lie...you trade up for transcendent players...Not Alex Smith...or Matt Ryans...

You trade up for Staffords, Wentz, and Watson types....

Actually Goff is outperforming Stafford over his 1st two seasons.... just sayin.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm trying to figure out the difference between your two lists and I honestly think it's just arm strength lol. I think you genuinely believe that arm strength alone is what separates a "transcendent" talent at QB.

One of those lists has a NFL MVP. The other does not. ;)
(To those who are curious, it's the list with Matt Ryan)

In reality, though, I think Champ didn't want to admit that the transcendent QBs of the past decade are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. Why? Because only one of the four has the traits he desires.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Apparently, our offensive improvement is on everyone but Goff. Okay, Memphis, suuuuuuuuure.

Okie dokie, Memphis, here's a list of QBs sorted by QB Rating:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Name all the QBs beneath Goff who are in appreciably worse situations and would outproduce him here.

smh.gif

Oh geez. Here we go again.

Sorry, but I don't feel like arguing something you said and have attributed to me again this time jrry32.

I didn't say that the offensive improvement is on everyone, but Goff.

And I don't have the time to do your homework assignment to prove something I didn't say.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.

You cite everybody has improved and that any QB would thrive in this offense then say you hope Goff grows into a difference maker but isn't there yet. You really did say it, you may not like having it thrown back at you but you said QB's get too much credit. Implying that the Rams offense could have improved with any "average QB". One more point to reinforce you did insult Jared look at the one person who gave your original post a "thread winner" that's all you need to know.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You cite everybody has improved and that any QB would thrive in this offense then say you hope Goff grows into a difference maker but isn't there yet. You really did say it, you may not like having it thrown back at you but you said QB's get too much credit. Implying that the Rams offense could have improved with any "average QB". One more point to reinforce you did insult Jared look at the one person who gave your original post a "thread winner" that's all you need to know.

Sorry, but I stated factors I believe and plainly said had MORE to do with the offensive resurgence..... I never said Goff had nothing to do with with the success! And as I stated in an earlier post, I didn't say ANY QB would thrive! Once again, I said any average QB would thrive in such favorable circumstances. And before the next Goff or bust fan replies with something else I didn't say, I never even said whether or not that average QB would thrive more or less than Goff. Geez!!

Please put the poms poms down and read people.:confused:

cosby-shaking-head.gif

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
Only in hindsight. Wentz was terrible in his preseason game then missed the rest with injury, and if not for Teddy Bridgewater destroying his knee, Wentz rides pine last year.
No. You need to recall that Bradford had already requested a trade before Bridgewater even got hurt. That's how high Philly was on Wentz; Bradford was hot that Philly even went for Wentz.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
smh.gif

Oh geez. Here we go again.

Sorry, but I don't feel like arguing something you said and have attributed to me again this time jrry32.

And I don't have the time to do your homework assignment to prove something I didn't say.

You got me, Memphis. I engaged in some hyperbole for effect. I'll just direct quote you:
In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.
:hiding:

In your rush to give credit for our offensive resurgence, you made sure to note that basically everyone else on the offense has more to do with our resurgence than Goff.

You don't have time to do my homework assignments? Bud, you claimed TWICE that any average QB put in this situation could thrive. See above and below:
I figured some would mis-read my post and start calling off names of other QBs in the league and situations that simply do not apply. But, again, I said any AVERAGE (NFL) QB. And one in the Rams situation, which includes, btw, a great offensive mind, plenty of weapons, great OLine play (Goff can stop and salute the flag before throwing on most plays).

Sorry, but an AWFUL Brett Hundley who stupidly came out early and who even after 3 years is STILL making the same mistakes he was making in college as a QB does not qualify. Joe Callahan should be starting in Green Bay.

I asked you to name the QBs with worse passer ratings than Goff who would do more in our offense. I'll even give you a freebie: Russell Wilson. Your turn.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once again, I said any average QB would thrive in such favorable circumstances. And before the next Goff or bust fan replies with something else I didn't say, I never even said whether or not that average QB would thrive more or less than Goff. Geez!!

And here goes the backpedaling. You brought this up in a post talking about how our resurgence has more to do with every other part of the offense than Goff. There was a clear and obvious implication that any average QB could do what Goff is doing (You: "In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet."). Now, you're going to claim that wasn't your intent? Then, what was your point? It's an awfully odd line to have in there if you're not making some sort of comparison and implication.

You know what, I'm good with the backpedaling. It's good we can agree that any average QB isn't stepping in and doing what Goff is for us. Maybe now we can agree that Goff deserves a lot of credit for the offensive turnaround? Our offensive has 11 starters, and they all deserve credit, but we know whom the most valuable player is. As for McVay and the coaching staff, they deserve all the credit in the world for developing these guys and putting them in a position to succeed.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I've got to admit that I was completely against getting a QB in that draft. The reason was that Fisher was still coach and I figured he would ruin any QB drafted.

That said, I'm happy as heck about Goff this season.

I think with the Rams being set at QB, and with Snead being able to find diamonds in late rounds, the Rams are in good shape to make some serious runs the next few years.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Next people will be saying bulger would have done the exact same things as Kurt in 99-01. Haha, good ole ramstalk. All you could do was laugh at them, give a one sentence dig and make them write essays on why it was so. Haha, good times.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've got to admit that I was completely against getting a QB in that draft. The reason was that Fisher was still coach and I figured he would ruin any QB drafted.

That said, I'm happy as heck about Goff this season.

I think with the Rams being set at QB, and with Snead being able to find diamonds in late rounds, the Rams are in good shape to make some serious runs the next few years.

You figured right.

Luckily snead distanced himself from Neanderthal man and left him alone to work on making his firing inevitable.

With them drafting Goff i felt like they knew fisher was gone after the year and wanted the best qb available, not a scheme fit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I deleted those posts. It's not worth the fight. You are welcome to feel the way you want to feel, Memphis. I'm going to sit back and enjoy what we have. I don't really care if Goff is a "clear difference-maker" because we're 6-2 with the #1 scoring offense in football being led by a 23-year-old QB with a top 10 passer rating. I'll take whatever Goff is right now and be happy with it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but I stated factors I believe and plainly said had MORE to do with the offensive resurgence..... I never said Goff had nothing to do with with the success! And as I stated in an earlier post, I didn't say ANY QB would thrive! Once again, I said any average QB would thrive in such favorable circumstances. And before the next Goff or bust fan replies with something else I didn't say, I never even said whether or not that average QB would thrive more or less than Goff. Geez!!

Please put the poms poms down and read people.:confused:

cosby-shaking-head.gif
I directly quoted what you said but you're gonna go down with the I didn't say that ship. Have a great night :)

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
About the Carson vs Jared comparisons always keep in mind that Carson is in his second season in the Eagles offense while Jared is in his first season in Sean's airshow. If Jared looks this good now, what the hell will he look like next season? and in Year Three? etc. . . .

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If some of you would just admit that your playing the role of the devils advocate it would be easier to digest your POV's. Otherwise it just looks, smells and tastes like...well, you know.
download (2).jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
I directly quoted what you said but you're gonna go down with the I didn't say that ship. Have a great night :)

We can agree that you you directly quoted exactly what I said. Where we disagree is your interpretation as to what I said which I've already shown you was false. Good Morning.;)

jrry32
I haven't backpedalled at all. While I really shouldn't have had to, I just tried explain the actual lines posted instead of arguing what you simply read in between them. The same thing happened this summer with you when discussing the WR core.

So let me read in between the lines some now. My pointing out the newfound advantages the Rams have on offense without bowing to the shrine of Jared Goff at the same time struck a nerve for some of you. I haven't posted here as often as I have in the past, but I'd guess that some prior angst against others who have failed to bow to said shrine in other threads is being rubbed off on me as well.