Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Sorry just not true especially look at last year. We supposedly traded away a ton of picks yet in a 7 round draft we had how many picks? Yup 8 picks oh and 2016 yeah 6 picks. In the two years we had 14 picks in 14 rounds of draft picks. Yes we missed a 1st round pick this year and a 2nd round and 3rd the year before. We still had as many picks and we are most definitely not hamstrung. Our GM has done a good job filling out the roster with both draft picks and free agency. This narrative we missed out on draft picks and are a worse team for the trade just doesn't float. We have our franchise QB the do blue font!single most important person on an NFL team. We have a damned good starting 22 and the best special teams in the NFL. We have some spots that aren't as deep as fans would like? Guess what all 32 teams can say the same thing. The Rams are just fine and they're better off for trading up for Jared Goff.
Sorry, I was kidding, don't know how to do blue font!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's apparent that all these comments have failed to consider how crippled and hamstrung our team has been as result of the missing draft picks. Just look at how many glaring weaknesses there are on the roster and how much they've hurt the team. This is what happens when you give up a king's ransom for a bust of a qb.

the rams are 6 and 2. the only thing that hamstrung them last season was jeff fisher and his coaching staff. same players with a few additions but much better coaching and the rams are 6 and 2.

screw the draft picks. give me goff over them every time.

edit - ah man, i didn't read your last post. i agree with your sarcastic take.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
the rams are 6 and 2. the only thing that hamstrung them last season was jeff fisher and his coaching staff. same players with a few additions but much better coaching and the rams are 6 and 2.

screw the draft picks. give me goff over them every time.

edit - ah man, i didn't read your last post. i agree with your sarcastic take.

My fault, need to learn the blue font thing!! Also I'm just having too much fun seeing Goff become the qb many of us thought he would be and the Rams become the team we've been waiting for.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My fault, need to learn the blue font thing!! Also I'm just having too much fun seeing Goff become the qb many of us thought he would be and the Rams become the team we've been waiting for.

when you are posting just click on the ink drop picture above the text page(4th from the left) then click on one of the blue colours. the text you type will then be blue.

Ramon Ram

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goff vs. Wentz is like Mary Ann vs. Ginger. Is there a wrong answer?

This wasn't a Goff vs Wentz thread but ok I'll play.
Back when I was a kid I would have taken Ginger, now I'd take Mary Ann

Anyone else?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This wasn't a Goff vs Wentz thread but ok I'll play.
Back when I was a kid I would have taken Ginger, now I'd take Mary Ann

Anyone else?
Sure it was.
Mary Ann FTW.
I'll ask you again...are you the Ramon who posts in the LA Rams facebook group?

Memphis Ram

Legend
There are some Dak Prescott fans who would disagree with most of you. How good would this team look if they selected him and kept all those draft choices? The WR core alone could have had Michael Thomas (Saints) & Corey Davis (Titans) on rookie contracts. Though they probably wouldn't have passed on CB Marshon Lattimore (Saints) this year who has been playing lights out as a rookie thus making it OK not to franchise Trumaine Johnson. Then again, chances are if they had made such moves, Fisher would still be the head coach,so .......:unsure:

In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.
:hiding:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It doesn't matter which QB you have - unless you have the correct supporting coaches around him, he will never succeed. Last year Goff didn't have a guiding hand, now look at him!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You go get your guy. All the critics be damned.

I think that holds true for anyone position. If you have a decent roster and see a player in the draft that you think is a can't miss, then trade up for him. One All Pro can have much bigger impact than two good ones. Trouble is not many teams are willing to let that type go.

I'm too lazy to go look up the names of the guys the Titans drafted with the picks we sent them for the right to draft Goff. That being said, I'm pretty damn sure about this next statement: Those guys, taken singly or as a group, still would not have had the positive impact on the Rams franchise that Goff is having now.

Hell yes it was worth it.

Agreed. It was definitely worth it. If the Rams were had a bad roster then no. They would need the picks to rebuild.

There are some Dak Prescott fans who would disagree with most of you. How good would this team look if they selected him and kept all those draft choices? The WR core alone could have had Michael Thomas (Saints) & Corey Davis (Titans) on rookie contracts. Though they probably wouldn't have passed on CB Marshon Lattimore (Saints) this year who has been playing lights out as a rookie thus making it OK not to franchise Trumaine Johnson. Then again, chances are if they had made such moves, Fisher would still be the head coach,so .......:unsure:

In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.

I was a Just stand pat and take another QB guy. I liked Dak. I also liked Lynch. I loved that Dak showed so much improvement in his final year of college because he knew he needed to be a better passer and sought out the coaching to do so. But for an overall package I liked Goff better. Once the trade was made it was a moot point.

Would any other QB be able to do what Goff is doing under McVay and LaFluer? I don't think so. There are things Goff does that others don't or can't. One thing is mental makeup. His subtle moves in the pocket to evade pressure that he can't even see are one of his best attributes. He can make all of the throws too. Could Dak succeed on the Rams? I think so, but I don't think he would be as much the pocket passer as Goff.

Dark fell into a great situation. He barely got touched last year and his line is great at university blocking too. Put him on a team with less weapons and a lesser OLine and he looks more like a third round QB. I have felt all along that Goff had the tools to excel in the NFL, even on an average team.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

I think trading up for a qb is a good thing if you have a coaching staff to develop said qb. imo if we still had fisher as our coach a lot of us would be hating our trade up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Well, Mike McCarthy is a great offensive coach. He has had Brett Hundley in his system for 3 years, and you can see they certainly can't plug anyone into his system and have it look good. So I think you need to give some credit to Goff. He has great arm talent and has a good demeanor about him, especially when you consider all the pressure that has been put on him to succeed. That is also especially impressive considering the 1st impression he put forth last year and has had to overcome that which is even added pressure that most young QBs do not deal with.

So I think Goff deserves a ton of credit all things considered and when you consider his age and lack of experience, it is exciting to think where his ceiling actually lies.

…..

Legend
:rockon:
How to be a millionaire:

1. Get a million dollars.
Steve Martin? Early eighties....

" You can be a millionaire, and never pay taxes. " ...You say "Steve how can I be a millionaire and never pay taxes?"
"So I'll tell you.... First, get a million dollars...."

On topic....I think I was chasing pussy during the time the trade and subsequent draft happened. I really had no idea who we should get or saw any Cal games. I don't even know who Wentz played for.

So that year, I ran amuck on Plenty of Fish and for football stuff I just trusted all my friends here at ROD and next thing ya know, here we are!:rockon:

wait.....what was the question?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i hate the narrative the rams mortgaged their future people be acting like we pulled a redskins for RGme kinda deal ... we are out from under the Goff trade and it hasnt exactly hampered us ..

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I hope all the fence-sitting guys will continue the glowing reviews about Goff if/when he might hit a rough stretch...Let's hope the casual fans follow the lead of the best Rams fans on the planet..The discerning group known as ROD !!!!

jap

Legend
About the Carson vs Jared comparisons always keep in mind that Carson is in his second season in the Eagles offense while Jared is in his first season in Sean's airshow. If Jared looks this good now, what the hell will he look like next season? and in Year Three? etc. . . .

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
i hate the narrative the rams mortgaged their future people be acting like we pulled a redskins for RGme kinda deal ... we are out from under the Goff trade and it hasnt exactly hampered us ..
Yeah that narrative is six feet under at this point.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, Mike McCarthy is a great offensive coach. He has had Brett Hundley in his system for 3 years, and you can see they certainly can't plug anyone into his system and have it look good. So I think you need to give some credit to Goff. He has great arm talent and has a good demeanor about him, especially when you consider all the pressure that has been put on him to succeed. That is also especially impressive considering the 1st impression he put forth last year and has had to overcome that which is even added pressure that most young QBs do not deal with.

So I think Goff deserves a ton of credit all things considered and when you consider his age and lack of experience, it is exciting to think where his ceiling actually lies.

I figured some would mis-read my post and start calling off names of other QBs in the league and situations that simply do not apply. But, again, I said any AVERAGE (NFL) QB. And one in the Rams situation, which includes, btw, a great offensive mind, plenty of weapons, great OLine play (Goff can stop and salute the flag before throwing on most plays).

Sorry, but an AWFUL Brett Hundley who stupidly came out early and who even after 3 years is STILL making the same mistakes he was making in college as a QB does not qualify. Joe Callahan should be starting in Green Bay.

Last edited:

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Goff is only 23 and his body will only develop more. Only played 8 games for McVay. He's got the cerebral game, he audibles and can sling it. The flick of the wrist pass to Gerald Everett was a thing of beauty. Easy pass. You can tell he worked his tail off this off season. Love it.

Let me add re Wentz/Goff, both excelling with great offensive staffs. You put either with a Jeff Fisher/Rod Boras, you'll see totally different results.

I had no issue with the trade, even if it didn't work. Sorry, you need a QB in the NFL, and they don't fall from the sky. Same off season Houston gave a shit load of money to bum Osweiler.

Last edited: