Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just say'in I think you need to give Goff a little more credit than you appear to be. The kid is taking advantage of a good situation and at the same time he has had to overcome quite a bit in terms of pressure put on his shoulders by his draft position and his play last year.

Ramon Ram

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure it was.
Mary Ann FTW.
I'll ask you again...are you the Ramon who posts in the LA Rams facebook group?

No it wasn't it was about the trade up but I wanted to make that disclaimer and eat some crow.
And no I don't post anywhere else Ram related as I no longer post on Post Dispatch as it's a bad site.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Still too soon....I need to see franchise type QB play in the playoffs...When we're matched against a formidable opponent. We'll know soon enough.

I'm kinda where @Memphis Ram is....Would we be any worse with Dak? How about we waited a year and grabbed Watson? With all the additional picks....Used correctly.
Sorry, but an AWFUL Brett Hundley who stupidly came out early and who even after 3 years is STILL making the same mistakes he was making in college as a QB does not qualify.
LOLOL
The Brett Hundley that ended the last game....if he comes out....we coulda worked with him too...esp. with McVay as his OC.

And I'm sure you guys know who I wanted....When you trade up, you expect once in a generation type talent....MVP type talent. That's what he's providing. Goff is becoming more...Lets see where he goes....How high does his elevator go????

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I didn't read though all four pages of posts to this question, but I don't know how anyone can answer without having the ability to put the team through an It's A Wonderful Life movie and see how we would be without him. The team acquired a lot of pieces to support him, without them, I dunno.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not sure that is a fact because he isn't playing a true NFL O, while Goff is.

And "pro ready" IMO means knowing the pocket, and in that case Goff was more "pro ready".
It is a forgone conclusion that Wentz was more pro ready than Goff. So much the more that Philly sent Bradford packing in favor of Wentz.

AS I understand it..."pro ready" has NEVER meant knowing the pocket. Saying a college QB is "pro ready" in reference to qbs means they understand pro offensive sets and terminology. We know for a fact that Goff had a hard time with the playbook much like Quick had as a WR.

Lastly, most every critique of Goff I heard last year when he didn't start concluded he was not ready to start. When you look at Goff and Wentz it can easily be said that both guys know the pocket. It simply took Goff longer to know the playbook and terminology.

Tano

Legend
Still too soon....I need to see franchise type QB play in the playoffs...When we're matched against a formidable opponent. We'll know soon enough.

I'm kinda where @Memphis Ram is....Would we be any worse with Dak? How about we waited a year and grabbed Watson? With all the additional picks....Used correctly.

LOLOL
The Brett Hundley that ended the last game....if he comes out....we coulda worked with him too...esp. with McVay as his OC.

And I'm sure you guys know who I wanted....When you trade up, you expect once in a generation type talent....MVP type talent. That's what he's providing. Goff is becoming more...Lets see where he goes....How high does his elevator go????
maxresdefault.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Tano

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

Comparing Goff & Wentz' terrific starts to the 2017 NFL season
BY SAM MONSON

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz both threw four touchdowns in Week 9 and presided over 51-point performances from their offenses as each young quarterback continues to make huge strides in Year 2 of their NFL careers.

The Eagles under Wentz are 8-1 and arguably the best team in football, while the Rams are 6-2 and atop the NFC West, one game ahead of the Seahawks.

%5E15B0C91320A785EFB80C59D23886F4C4A23F8944EC8276ED2F%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

It’s difficult to overstate just how far each quarterback has come since their rookie seasons. While Wentz started his NFL career on fire, after the first few weeks he struggled badly and ended the season ranked 20th overall by the end of the year, just one spot ahead of Matt Barkley. Goff didn’t see the field until late November, but there were very few signs of life from his first season in the league, albeit in a fairly toxic broader environment before the staff was overhauled in the offseason.

Goff’s situation has been completely refurbished for his second season. The team shipped out Greg Robinson – one of the worst left tackles in football – and signed Andrew Whitworth in free agency, who has just had his fourth game of perfect pass protection already this year. Whitworth has been one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the game for years, and alone represents a huge upgrade in Goff’s situation in the pocket.

This season he has been pressured on 33 percent of his dropbacks, but as a rookie that was up at 44 percent. In addition to Whitworth, the team has also had improved play at center with John Sullivan reviving his NFL career. Goff’s receiving corps has also been completely remodelled, and the scheme under Sean McVay plays more to his strengths, so we are seeing a dramatic improvement in overall play.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/927556826622775296

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/927556826622775296

Wentz has also benefitted hugely from the scheme being tailored to suit his play. The Eagles run more run-pass option plays than anybody else in the league. They have run almost 100 RPOs (98) over the season, and no other side has more than 65.

The Eagles have been able to simplify the offense and put defenders in a bind while playing to the athleticism of Wentz. Look no further than the first touchdown pass he threw this week against the Broncos. The Eagles packaged a zone run to the left (with Jay Ajayi as the running back), with an option run to the right optioning Von Miller, and then Alshon Jeffery’s little fake screen and ‘go’ route down the sideline, which caught out CB Aqib Talib for the score.

This play can effectively be any one of three distinct things, all of which the defense has to try and account for, but it limits what it asks of Wentz to a couple of simple reads pre and post-snap to make the play. These RPOs have been a huge part of the team’s success and the development at QB of Wentz.

%5EA58F7BAAF8DB7BE5EF7D1F924BB0FC47A9A523FDC42DAB84B7%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

Within this system, he has been excelling, and is currently our No. 6 ranked QB with an overall PFF grade of 84.4. Wentz has been able to use the scheme to make huge plays all season, and is also sixth in the league in the percentage of passing yards which have come in the air – i.e. before yards after the catch are taken into consideration.

Wentz also has the league’s No. 1 passer rating on third down at 125.1, and has made a sequence of big plays on third and long all season to give him the league’s best PFF grade on third downs.

Both Goff and Wentz have taken huge steps forward in their sophomore seasons, but both also owe a huge amount to the situation improving around them. With both teams enjoying success, that isn’t likely to change, and we will get to witness two players that have every chance to fulfil their potential and reach their as still undefined ceilings.

the numbers don't lie...eye test doesn't lie...you trade up for transcendent players...Not Alex Smith...or Matt Ryans...

You trade up for Staffords, Wentz, and Watson types....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is a forgone conclusion that Wentz was more pro ready than Goff. So much the more that Philly sent Bradford packing in favor of Wentz.
Only in hindsight. Wentz was terrible in his preseason game then missed the rest with injury, and if not for Teddy Bridgewater destroying his knee, Wentz rides pine last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I figured some would mis-read my post and start calling off names of other QBs in the league and situations that simply do not apply. But, again, I said any AVERAGE (NFL) QB. And one in the Rams situation, which includes, btw, a great offensive mind, plenty of weapons, great OLine play (Goff can stop and salute the flag before throwing on most plays).

You just described Tom Brady's career.

Ram65

Legend
Round 1, Pick 5 (2017) — Corey Davis, WR

Round 1, Pick 8 (2016) — Jack Conklin, OL*

Round 2, Pick 43 (2016) — Austin Johnson, DT

Round 2, Pick 45 (2016) — Derrick Henry, RB

Round 3, Pick 100 (2017) — Jonnu Smith, TE

Round 5, Pick 157 (2016) — LeShaun Sims*

Round 7, Pick 253 (206) — Kalan Reed*

They had to trade up to get Conklin thus the *. Traded the Rams pick plus to move up.

Ram65

Legend
I'm curious if there are still many out there who think the trade up was a bad move and that we gave up way too much?

Would you do it all over again or do you think we should have taken the players and looked for a QB elsewhere?

The Rams could be like the Browns still without a good QB.

It's easy to second guess the Rams move knowing what other QBs have done since the draft. At the time the Rams made a good move. No one had Dak being as good as he has been. Who knows what would have happened if they waited for Watson. Sure I would do it again.

Scirca

Rookie
@Tano

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

BY SAM MONSON

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz both threw four touchdowns in Week 9 and presided over 51-point performances from their offenses as each young quarterback continues to make huge strides in Year 2 of their NFL careers.

The Eagles under Wentz are 8-1 and arguably the best team in football, while the Rams are 6-2 and atop the NFC West, one game ahead of the Seahawks.

%5E15B0C91320A785EFB80C59D23886F4C4A23F8944EC8276ED2F%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

It’s difficult to overstate just how far each quarterback has come since their rookie seasons. While Wentz started his NFL career on fire, after the first few weeks he struggled badly and ended the season ranked 20th overall by the end of the year, just one spot ahead of Matt Barkley. Goff didn’t see the field until late November, but there were very few signs of life from his first season in the league, albeit in a fairly toxic broader environment before the staff was overhauled in the offseason.

Goff’s situation has been completely refurbished for his second season. The team shipped out Greg Robinson – one of the worst left tackles in football – and signed Andrew Whitworth in free agency, who has just had his fourth game of perfect pass protection already this year. Whitworth has been one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the game for years, and alone represents a huge upgrade in Goff’s situation in the pocket.

This season he has been pressured on 33 percent of his dropbacks, but as a rookie that was up at 44 percent. In addition to Whitworth, the team has also had improved play at center with John Sullivan reviving his NFL career. Goff’s receiving corps has also been completely remodelled, and the scheme under Sean McVay plays more to his strengths, so we are seeing a dramatic improvement in overall play.

Wentz has also benefitted hugely from the scheme being tailored to suit his play. The Eagles run more run-pass option plays than anybody else in the league. They have run almost 100 RPOs (98) over the season, and no other side has more than 65.

The Eagles have been able to simplify the offense and put defenders in a bind while playing to the athleticism of Wentz. Look no further than the first touchdown pass he threw this week against the Broncos. The Eagles packaged a zone run to the left (with Jay Ajayi as the running back), with an option run to the right optioning Von Miller, and then Alshon Jeffery’s little fake screen and ‘go’ route down the sideline, which caught out CB Aqib Talib for the score.

This play can effectively be any one of three distinct things, all of which the defense has to try and account for, but it limits what it asks of Wentz to a couple of simple reads pre and post-snap to make the play. These RPOs have been a huge part of the team’s success and the development at QB of Wentz.

%5EA58F7BAAF8DB7BE5EF7D1F924BB0FC47A9A523FDC42DAB84B7%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

Within this system, he has been excelling, and is currently our No. 6 ranked QB with an overall PFF grade of 84.4. Wentz has been able to use the scheme to make huge plays all season, and is also sixth in the league in the percentage of passing yards which have come in the air – i.e. before yards after the catch are taken into consideration.

Wentz also has the league’s No. 1 passer rating on third down at 125.1, and has made a sequence of big plays on third and long all season to give him the league’s best PFF grade on third downs.

Both Goff and Wentz have taken huge steps forward in their sophomore seasons, but both also owe a huge amount to the situation improving around them. With both teams enjoying success, that isn’t likely to change, and we will get to witness two players that have every chance to fulfil their potential and reach their as still undefined ceilings.

the numbers don't lie...eye test doesn't lie...you trade up for transcendent players...Not Alex Smith...or Matt Ryans...

You do realize Jared Goff is the youngest QB of all time to have multiple 140+ passer rating games. And tied for 2nd all time in most 140+ passer rating in a season. Goff is brilliant on the whiteboard. Rob Boras was/is a horseshit offensive coordinator and so was/is Chris Weinke. Jeff Fisher as horseshit and as incompetent as he was, is not as bad as Boras, I don't know who the fuck thought it was a good idea to run routes short of 3rd down conversion.

Goff, Brady, and Wentz are the best 3rd down QB's in the NFL right now. They each convert 50+% on 3rd down.

DOC5B84WAAApznN.jpg:large

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It's okay @LACHAMP46 if you're still skeptical of Goff, if he's able to convince you that he's the better QB, I'll be happy to serve you crow with this

81JcS1yj-VL._SY679_.jpg

Tano

Legend
@Tano

BY SAM MONSON

You and I will just have to disagree because I am adding Goff to that list.

And look at those numbers again.

The only one's where he is low is Adjusted COMP % and %Yards Thrown in the Air

1) Adjusted COMP % is bullcrap with this offense because he throws balls away when no one is open. I like that just fine.

2) %Yards Thrown in the Air - that's because he is throwing to guys who are open and have lots of room to run after the catch. Plus he throws it on target where guys don't have to slow down to make a catch and can continue running after making the catch.

The Passer rating under pressure is very good and is only going to get better as he plays more. His Deep Passing Passer rating is also very good as well and only going to get better as he and Watson get on the same page on those deep throws.

You can throw out the fifth one as that one is meaningless imo.

Their line is giving him time and he is taking the time to make the right throw - good job.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
An interesting side topic is how future teams will use the Rams worst to first offense as a template of how to resurrect a franchise. The Rams are an interesting case study in how to go about changing your franchise in 1 offseason.

It may not work for every team but there are a couple takeaways from the transition the Rams made:

1 Move a bunch of picks to get your franchise QB. Make sure he’s a true solid prospect.

2 Bring in a proven, bright offensive mind that is currently leading a top NFL offense. Make him your head coach so he has free reign to implement his system.

3 Completely rebuild your Oline through Free agency with the best pass protectors available. Get out early in Free agency and get those guys.

4 Get a proven, tough, smart, excellent route running WR in Free agency.

5 Early draft picks on more reliable, smart WR’s/TE’s. Must run great routes and have great character and work ethic to learn the new system

6 Get a Dynamic RB that can catch balls out of the backfield. Unless you already have one.

7 Hit the Trade Wire for more playmakers at WR.

8 Hope for health and build your Oline depth.

That’s all? LOL

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not sure this is worth the discussion. I also wanted Wentz...but I wanted him over Goff because

1. He's stronger.

2. He was the more pro ready.

Goff came from a spread system...and that hurt him more when he came to the NFL more than anything. Couple that with the fact that Fisher and his OC seemed to not coach him up properly.

Enter McVay...and he has worked with Goff...and it's EVIDENT.

This doesn't need to be a Wentz vs Goff thing...it's good to see both guys doing well and on their way up in the league. I'd like to see Goff gain about 15-20 lbs...but slowly. He's smart and you can't shake him.

THE BEST LESSON FROM THIS IS TO REALIZE WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH A ROOKIE QB WHEN YOU HAVE A COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO DO IT!
These are my sentiments exactly. I did still like Goff though, and thought we'd have a franchise guy with either one.

The afterthought is that we really did well with the draft picks and free agency since the trade, so losing the draft picks have meant virtually nothing in my eyes. Even if Goff wouldn't have panned out, he was worth the risk, and I'd say the same thing if it were Wentz.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are some Dak Prescott fans who would disagree with most of you. How good would this team look if they selected him and kept all those draft choices? The WR core alone could have had Michael Thomas (Saints) & Corey Davis (Titans) on rookie contracts. Though they probably wouldn't have passed on CB Marshon Lattimore (Saints) this year who has been playing lights out as a rookie thus making it OK not to franchise Trumaine Johnson. Then again, chances are if they had made such moves, Fisher would still be the head coach,so .......:unsure:

In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.
:hiding:

166.gif

Apparently, our offensive improvement is on everyone but Goff. Okay, Memphis, suuuuuuuuure.

I figured some would mis-read my post and start calling off names of other QBs in the league and situations that simply do not apply. But, again, I said any AVERAGE (NFL) QB. And one in the Rams situation, which includes, btw, a great offensive mind, plenty of weapons, great OLine play (Goff can stop and salute the flag before throwing on most plays).

Sorry, but an AWFUL Brett Hundley who stupidly came out early and who even after 3 years is STILL making the same mistakes he was making in college as a QB does not qualify. Joe Callahan should be starting in Green Bay.

Okie dokie, Memphis, here's a list of QBs sorted by QB Rating:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Name all the QBs beneath Goff who are in appreciably worse situations and would outproduce him here.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend

I'm trying to figure out the difference between your two lists and I honestly think it's just arm strength lol. I think you genuinely believe that arm strength alone is what separates a "transcendent" talent at QB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Tano

BY SAM MONSON

The rams traded up for the Goff type. That's the best type. Smart, accurate and insane pocket awareness and movement. Learn to accept it.