Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Actually Goff is outperforming Stafford over his 1st two seasons.... just sayin.
C'mon philly! C'MON!!!!!
I don't know WHO Matt started with as OC...or even HC....but c'mon man....

McVay may be the best offensive mind in the game right now....think Nick Foles and Chip Kelly....time a million. ahahahahah
In reality, though, I think Champ didn't want to admit that the transcendent QBs of the past decade are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. Why? Because only one of the four has the traits he desires.

hmmmm

Tough....can't really say nay....Brady, Rodgers.....Peyton.....Peyton is not like these others.....he's kinda special....Brees...is a beast too....

No Rothlisburger? No Rivers? Hmmm...

Brady is Brady....can't take nothing away from him...I actually like his arm....but he's no Rodgers...
Brees is another guy with a really nice arm....always liked the way he threw...even at Purdue...threw well. Again...no Rodgers.

I like guys with a cannon. I saw Elway....that thing worked...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The rams traded up for the Goff type. That's the best type. Smart, accurate and insane pocket awareness and movement. Learn to accept it.
I have accepted it....It doesn't change my opinion....

You trade up...in the first round....to the top...for transcendent talent...MVP....HOF....special talent...otherwise, the extra picks are worth more in building a championship team...not just a good team...a team that can win in the playoffs....and possibly go to a superbowl

It's ok that some can't recognize transcendent talent from say....Kurt Cousins....Joe Flacco...Matt Ryan...Andy Dalton....

As you watch the NFL longer...you'll understand. Special talent screams SPECIAL TALENT!!!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon philly! C'MON!!!!!
I don't know WHO Matt started with as OC...or even HC....but c'mon man....

McVay may be the best offensive mind in the game right now....think Nick Foles and Chip Kelly....time a million. ahahahahah

hmmmm

Tough....can't really say nay....Brady, Rodgers.....Peyton.....Peyton is not like these others.....he's kinda special....Brees...is a beast too....

Brady is Brady....can't take nothing away from him...I actually like his arm....but he's no Rodgers...
Brees is another guy with a really nice arm....always liked the way he threw...even at Purdue...threw well. Again...no Rodgers.

I like guys with a cannon. I saw Elway....that thing worked...
*hope no one finds out about my Jeff George Fathead in my bedroom...~LACHAMP46

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm trying to figure out the difference between your two lists and I honestly think it's just arm strength lol. I think you genuinely believe that arm strength alone is what separates a "transcendent" talent at QB.
That's funny.....because someone in here has been saying that Goff's arm strength is superior to Wentz. oh yeah....this guy

Perfect, because Goff has superior arm talent, he had the most talented arm in the draft when he came out, with releases better than some of the greatest players of all time.
Go figure.

No...the difference in my lists is the play....the team around the QB and his play with such a team. I tend to think guys like Stafford, Rodgers, LUCK....and probably Wentz and Watson could win with good coordinators....and help poor teams get better.

Average QB's can't do this.

Bucky Brooks was saying something the other day...either a QB is a tractor or a trailer....either they could pull a team, or they needed a team to pull them. Great analogy. I think some QB's can go from being either too....

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend

Next people will be saying bulger would have done the exact same things as Kurt in 99-01. Haha, good ole ramstalk. All you could do was laugh at them, give a one sentence dig and make them write essays on why it was so. Haha, good times.

Doubtful anyone would make that argument. But, I'd argue that Bulger could have thrived in similar circumstances and hoped that such a statement isn't viewed as a slight to Warner.

BTW, I'd also argue that a Super Bowl victory may have still occurred during that period if Trent Green stayed healthy, too. Sure, Warner was a special passer, but Green was pretty good too and offered the extra ability of being able to make something happen with his feet.

But, of course, those opinions would probably be misread or simply deemed blasphemy by

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
2) %Yards Thrown in the Air - that's because he is throwing to guys who are open and have lots of room to run after the catch. Plus he throws it on target where guys don't have to slow down to make a catch and can continue running after making the catch.

maybe.....maybe it's because guys are wide open....I mean REALLY wide open....

My concerns...what happens when no one is WIDE OPEN...and there is pressure? Hopefully, he's got it covered.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You do realize Jared Goff is the youngest QB of all time to have multiple 140+ passer rating games. And tied for 2nd all time in most 140+ passer rating in a season.
Nope....didn't know that.

Curious, against which teams did he have game of 140+ passer ratings?

Again...Goff is good....McVay....seems to be the new hot coordinator. Guys seem to be wide open. And Goff is hitting them.

I'll just say, the USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Oregon part of the schedule is coming up....and I wanna see some passer ratings hit 120 then....

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Goff also had Jeff Fisher/Rob Boras for his 1st full season. So I think that evens out. He is basically starting from scratch.

Also, your boy Stafford pretty much avgs about 14 picks a year. Goff will likely be around 10 or so in his 2nd season, 1st season in new system.

Funny, you give McVay all the credit for this year, but you pretty much blamed a lot on Goff for last year, or at the very least did not give him any excuse for the mess he was stuck in last year.

Fact is that it is way too early to pigeon-hole Goff as anything, good or bad. Have some patience and let it play out.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Let me add that if Goff ends up similar to Stafford, I will be a little disappointed. Stafford throws ot to the other team way too much for my liking and in the rnd is why I dobt ever seem him being a consistent winner.

Kind of like a Vince Ferragamo type. Great arm talent, but lacking in game management skills. Kind of like the old "million dollar arm, ten cent head" statement.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Here is my question. .. I keep hearing that we won against weak teams.... of course we should have beaten the Giants.....ok.... who has dropped 51 pts on the Giants besides us? Who else has put up the points we have put up against our opponents?

Go Rams......... ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nope. They're not in the same conversation with the four guys I named. Although, Rivers is an odd name to bring up. He's a slow QB with middling arm strength.

I have accepted it....It doesn't change my opinion....

You trade up...in the first round....to the top...for transcendent talent...MVP....HOF....special talent...otherwise, the extra picks are worth more in building a championship team...not just a good team...a team that can win in the playoffs....and possibly go to a superbowl

You're right. That's why we took our guy #1. He screamed special talent.

The thing that separates elite QBs from averages ones isn't arm strength. It isn't mobility. It's mental acuity.

It's ok that some can't recognize transcendent talent from say....Kurt Cousins....Joe Flacco...Matt Ryan...Andy Dalton....

As you watch the NFL longer...you'll understand. Special talent screams SPECIAL TALENT!!!!!

It certainly is okay. I just hope that LAChamp guy recognizes this and works on it. It would be nice if he didn't confuse Matthew Stafford with a transcendent talent. :LOL:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is my question. .. I keep hearing that we won against weak teams.... of course we should have beaten the Giants.....ok.... who has dropped 51 pts on the Giants besides us? Who else has put up the points we have put up against our opponents?

Go Rams......... ;)
Right.
Who even put 40 up against the Gmen? 30? 28?
Lots of crickets
Eagles put up 27 in a last second victory, but that was a "big win"??

Memphis Ram

Legend
Right.
Who even put 40 up against the Gmen? 30? 28?
Lots of crickets
Eagles put up 27 in a last second victory, but that was a "big win"??

But, what other good offense has played the Giants under the same circumstances?

For example, the Eagles played the Giants when their season wasn't basically over. And key players like CB Janoris Jenkins, Pass Rusher Olivier Vernon, and I believe one of their starting LBs whose name escapes me were on the field. And would the Giants offense had been so stagnant giving the Rams more opportunities if WRs Odell Beckham and Brandon Marshall along with OLine starters Justin Pugh & Weston Richburg had played like I believe they did vs. Philly? I doubt it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It would be nice if he didn't confuse Matthew Stafford with a transcendent talent.

I just recently began to closely watch Matt Stafford....the Kershaw connection, I call it....why couldn't he win? then, why could he win, with Megatron leaving???? Those coaches that they fired...Then, Jim Bob Cooter...quite a ride.
Always liked him at Georgia. Really liked him in the pros...He wins games...in-spite/despite his defense...He reminds me of Brett Farve. He's better than Flacco, Ryan, Dalton, Cam....yep, he edges Cam out...barely...accuracy counts in Champ's transcendent's....LOL....You put him on any real team, he'd be in a SB by now. No, the Lions just got serious, if they keep that HC.....they'll stay in the playoffs while he's there. Matt Stafford can win games by himself almost...he's a tractor....not a trailer....he pulls....doesn't need to be pulled. Check him out in 4th quarters....red zone...check his weapons...besides Taint, who else??? I'm starting to like Jones too.....as a singer. LOL....No, Jones and Abdulla are good players....not great, but real good. No TE....and I liked that guy....but he doesn't like contact either...Ebron I mean. Nope....the QB carries the Lions....and he's carried them to the playoffs 2 seasons in a row....took a while...but they finally got a good OC, Jim Bob...and a good HC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, what other good offense has played the Giants under the same circumstances?

For example, the Eagles played the Giants when their season wasn't basically over. And key players like CB Janoris Jenkins, Pass Rusher Olivier Vernon, and I believe one of their starting LBs whose name escapes me were on the field. And would the Giants offense had been so stagnant giving the Rams more opportunities if WRs Odell Beckham and Brandon Marshall along with OLine starters Justin Pugh & Weston Richburg had played like I believe they did vs. Philly? I doubt it.
So we can expect them to give up 40+ each game now? I don’t think so.
Seems there is a lot of effort being made to down play the giants game. Had Wentz put 51 on the Giants, he’s probably be anointed GOAT

Memphis Ram

Legend
So we can expect them to give up 40+ each game now? I don’t think so.
Seems there is a lot of effort being made to down play the giants game. Had Wentz put 51 on the Giants, he’s probably be anointed GOAT

It's possible if they play a team with a good offense and Jenkins goes down or gets suspended again while the other players remain out. And they don't make the defensive changes they were said to make after this game (To simplify the system).

Not a lot of effort at all.

Just took a quick look at the Rams opponent with clear eyes and without Rams fan blinders, really.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Very enjoyable reading. I think we are all in a certain consensus. Whatever QB we have had, we have all made correct assumptions for, with a few exceptions, who blamed it all on the QB that we needed a have a better surrounding cast around our QB. We have the best supporting cast since the GSOT. Look no further than Goff, or Keenum for that matter from last year to this. Both doing well, but I'd take Goff, any day, before Keenum. I think most of us would.

He's young, has a good arm, 1 MPH faster at the combine than Wentz, and longest ball in the air all season, a hair under 62 yards. The kid has arm talent. I've said this before, Brady was a system QB in the beginning, and now he's the GOAT, by a lot of people's standards. Goff may eventually get some credit, he's already starting to. Our system, and players around Goff help him, they should, but he also shouldn't be criticized for it. He has improved leaps and bounds, and a lot of those throws, he buys a little time to get them off. He's checking into those plays, he's making those throws, executing play fakes, and he's protecting the ball.

I don't want to find out if our backup can do the same things as Goff, but if needed, I sure hope he can. If this ends up being the case, then we are in a sustainable situation, and we should all be happy about that. Our whole turn around from last season to this, thus far, has been remarkable.

Back to the OG post, was Goff worth the trade up? IMO, hell yes! I think he looks like a franchise type guy to me, not an also ran.

Last edited: