Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramon Ram

Starter
So the first thing I will say is I wanted Wentz and still think he is the better QB but I will also eat crow and say it isn't by much. McVay is incredible and has done a great job in every aspect for our boys.

But that is not the theme of this thread.
At the time we traded up there were many who said we made a terrible trade and gave up so much. At the time of the trade, forget about who we would take, I thought it was a great move as we would never have been able to get a franchise QB if we stood pat, not withstanding a Dak type of hit along the way.
Yes we gave up a lot but I thought it was the only way for us to get that guy no matter who we took.

I'm curious if there are still many out there who think the trade up was a bad move and that we gave up way too much?

Would you do it all over again or do you think we should have taken the players and looked for a QB elsewhere?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
So the first thing I will say is I wanted Wentz and still think he is the better QB but I will also eat crow and say it isn't by much. McVay is incredible and has done a great job in every aspect for our boys.

But that is not the theme of this thread.
At the time we traded up there were many who said we made a terrible trade and gave up so much. At the time of the trade, forget about who we would take, I thought it was a great move as we would never have been able to get a franchise QB if we stood pat, not withstanding a Dak type of hit along the way.
Yes we gave up a lot but I thought it was the only way for us to get that guy no matter who we took.

I'm curious if there are still many out there who think the trade up was a bad move and that we gave up way too much?

Would you do it all over again or do you think we should have taken the players and looked for a QB elsewhere?
If there is a QB there that's a franchise type then an NFL team has to do what it takes to get him. You don't win in today's NFL without a QB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
After the 2015 season i stated on this site and in chat room that if the Rams didnt trade up for a franchise QB I would not watch another game. Luckily and unluckily they did that. Happy they did, sucked having to watch them not know what to do with him though. I was always a Goff guy, but had said I would be fine with Wentz if that was the pick. I am happy with Goff and glad we traded up for him. simple.

Psycho_X

Legend
The Browns front office called and said you're only as good as the number of young men's careers you ruin with accumulated draft picks.

Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
If you truly believe in the QB and you currently don't have one, you make the move.
Takes balls though.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was originally against it... thought we gave up too much. Happy to eat crow! What a job by McVay and Snead though, eh?

socalrams90

Starter
Enduring last season was the sacrifice and thats ok now that we're here at 6-2.

We had a good draft still without a number 1. After this season (if we sign watkins), all of our moves are behind us and can no longer burn us. Time to look forward.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You go get your guy. All the critics be damned.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Considering that Tennessee improved to a middle of the pack team, I'd say it's a win-win for both the Rams and the Titans. Philly and Cleveland on the other hand; lol Browns

TexasRam

Legend
Absolutely. It was a great time to move up. Goff and Wentz both has franchise written all over them.

Way to early to say which Qb will have the better career. I predict both will be top QB’s based on what we are seeing.

But what we haven’t seen, which often determines greatness is how these QB’s do in the playoffs and in Championship games. One may rise above the other.

I personally like a pure pocket passer vs a Qb who likes to use his legs and run down the field. I think if Wentz is going to have the long Career that the greats have, he needs to stay in the pocket more. Like Brady, Manning, Marino, Brees etc etc. This is exactly where Goff’s game is going.

Goff leading the top offense in football with a mid level WR (Woods) and a rookie (Kupp) as his two main go to guys is pretty mind boggling when you stop and think about it.

nighttrain

Legend
I personally like a pure pocket passer vs a Qb who likes to use his legs and run down the field. I think if Wentz is going to have the long Career that the greats have, he needs to stay in the pocket more. Like Brady, Manning, Marino, Brees etc etc. This is exactly where Goff’s game is going.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Yeah Goff may not be solo carrying the team, but his performance is certainly sustainable in the long run. Wentz is a phenomenal player but he looks like a hard linebacker hit away from the IR

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Before they made the trade i thought it would take too many picks to get up to the #1 pick. After they made the trade i thought, " ah well, they're only draft picks. There'll be plenty more of them coming in future years". I was 100% behind getting the qb you want. I was so happy they got Goff. I was so unhappy fisher was the hc and boras was the oc. I was so happy they were sent packing and ecstatic the rams got mcvay. So here's we are. Franchise qb and a franchise hc locked up for 5 years. Winning

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not sure this is worth the discussion. I also wanted Wentz...but I wanted him over Goff because

1. He's stronger.

2. He was the more pro ready.

Goff came from a spread system...and that hurt him more when he came to the NFL more than anything. Couple that with the fact that Fisher and his OC seemed to not coach him up properly.

Enter McVay...and he has worked with Goff...and it's EVIDENT.

This doesn't need to be a Wentz vs Goff thing...it's good to see both guys doing well and on their way up in the league. I'd like to see Goff gain about 15-20 lbs...but slowly. He's smart and you can't shake him.

THE BEST LESSON FROM THIS IS TO REALIZE WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH A ROOKIE QB WHEN YOU HAVE A COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO DO IT!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot of years to go to determine which QB is better. Everyone is all over Wentz's nuts right now, but it might not be him that ends up being the top dog from this class.

I think all three QBs are going to go down as above average to great ones btw. That it will be one of the better QB drafts when all is said and done.

Not sure why we have to keep seeing the "I wanted X" posts over and over and over though. There's plenty of old posts out there that demonstrate who we were pulling for, and now that Goff's our guy what's the point of all that?

TexasRam

Legend
An interesting side topic is how future teams will use the Rams worst to first offense as a template of how to resurrect a franchise. The Rams are an interesting case study in how to go about changing your franchise in 1 offseason.

It may not work for every team but there are a couple takeaways from the transition the Rams made:

1 Move a bunch of picks to get your franchise QB. Make sure he’s a true solid prospect.

2 Bring in a proven, bright offensive mind that is currently leading a top NFL offense. Make him your head coach so he has free reign to implement his system.

3 Completely rebuild your Oline through Free agency with the best pass protectors available. Get out early in Free agency and get those guys.

4 Get a proven, tough, smart, excellent route running WR in Free agency.

5 Early draft picks on more reliable, smart WR’s/TE’s. Must run great routes and have great character and work ethic to learn the new system

6 Get a Dynamic RB that can catch balls out of the backfield. Unless you already have one.

7 Hit the Trade Wire for more playmakers at WR.

8 Hope for health and build your Oline depth.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm too lazy to go look up the names of the guys the Titans drafted with the picks we sent them for the right to draft Goff. That being said, I'm pretty damn sure about this next statement: Those guys, taken singly or as a group, still would not have had the positive impact on the Rams franchise that Goff is having now.

Hell yes it was worth it.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I thought we should have waited til last draft to grab a q.b. considering the limited pool that was available in goffs draft class compared to the one after. Glad I was wrong.

Having said that, if we were going to grab Goff or Wentz, i wanted Goff. I wanted a guy who can get the ball out as quick as possible with the best accuracy. Goff worked out of shotgun so he was best at getting the ball out quick and accurate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm too lazy to go look up the names of the guys the Titans drafted with the picks we sent them for the right to draft Goff. That being said, I'm pretty damn sure about this next statement: Those guys, taken singly or as a group, still would not have had the positive impact on the Rams franchise that Goff is having now.

Hell yes it was worth it.

We found that out the hard way after 2012. The rams did the right thing because rg3 was not a franchise qb. But all those extra picks meant diddly without a qb and a good hc. At least a few of them are still with the team now to flex their muscles.