Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
52306011.jpg

Does it bring you any pleasure when the Rams WIN?

Absolutely. Does it give you any pleasure to play every season for next year's draft pick? As a Rams fan for over 40 years, I've had the most fun when they are a playoff team. Brandon Weeden might be the only other QB playing today who could have kept this game close. This is a special defense that was on fire today. Any average QB would have won this game by at least 21. I LOL at you for wanting to waste this special defense by playing for next year's draft. Hill isn't the QB of the future, but he might be able to lead our present team to the playoffs. I think Davis has shown he can't - sorry for not waiting the required amount of time to share my opinion.

jap

Legend
Perhaps ROD ought to steal a page from The Fisher King and impose a 24-hour rule after games. I know we are still within the 24-hour timeframe but the continual bashing & negativity that continues into the following week is ridiculous.

We have a young team learning a new defensive scheme, an offense that lost its top two QB's in rapid succession, and a scourge of injuries. Nevertheless, I am looking for us to possibly sweep the Cards with our emerging defense and beat the 'Hawks in their own house to take that series too. We went 4-1-1 two years ago against the NFC West. We have a chance to top that with a 5-1 ledger this season.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
First off, we did win today. Davis IS a better QB than he looked like today. Are you disagreeing that he had good protection? You cannot tell me that he did. Bradford, Hill or anybody else would have been killed.

ram007

Starter
Let's give Davis this year and go from there before crowing him or dethroning him?

A.Davis will throw for 3 TDs against cards next week. Rams win 34-13 next week. There i said it

CoachO

Hall of Fame
But we still would have won. i know Davis has his faults, But can we wait a few minutes or hours before hating on him is all. I still think the O-line is a bigger problem than our QB issues.
The Offensive line isn't as bad as Davis is making them look. He bails at the first sign of pressure, real or imagined. When he takes a 3 or 5 step drop, and had time to set his feet, which he does regularly, he has time to get the ball out "on time". The issue is, he then doesn't see where to go, and starts running without seeing the field. He routinely has open receivers, but because he is too busy "keeping the play alive" he doesn't see them, he cuts the field in half and more often than not, it results in a bad play, or at the very least, a wasted down by throwing it away.

I don't think its a much as not letting him play. Its about coaching him to be more careful with the football. That has always been Fisher's MO, and I for one, agree with it. For every highlight play Davis may make, he usually ends up with 3 negative plays to go along with it. Again, in his 7 1/2 games, there have been THREE he has thrown < 30 passes in. Care to guess which 3 games the Rams have won?

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
Schotty is the reason I'm torn. He has not had luck with any QB. They are either under duress or getting kaepernicked all day so it tough to see what is what. I know people want the next Warner, Brady, or Manning but we will have to deal with a kid who might be able to develop into a good game manager if Schotty doesn't get him killed first.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Absolutely. Does it give you any pleasure to play every season for next year's draft pick? As a Rams fan for over 40 years, I've had the most fun when they are a playoff team. Brandon Weeden might be the only other QB playing today who could have kept this game close. This is a special defense that was on fire today. Any average QB would have won this game by at least 21. I LOL at you for wanting to waste this special defense by playing for next year's draft. Hill isn't the QB of the future, but he might be able to lead our present team to the playoffs. I think Davis has shown he can't - sorry for not waiting the required amount of time to share my opinion.

You're absolutely right, an average QB would have won by 21, and Sam Bradford would have thrown for 700 yards and 8 TDs all with his left hand.

Your power to peer in to the realm of what may have been is both impressive and frightening.

All I know is that while he's by no means perfect (and maybe not the long term solution) Austin Davis is out there getting his ass kicked behind a "transitional" OLine trying to win games for the Rams every week.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The Offensive line isn't as bad as Davis is making them look. He bails at the first sign of pressure, real or imagined. When he takes a 3 or 5 step drop, and had time to set his feet, which he does regularly, he has time to get the ball out "on time". The issue is, he then doesn't see where to go, and starts running without seeing the field. He routinely has open receivers, but because he is too busy "keeping the play alive" he doesn't see them, he cuts the field in half and more often than not, it results in a bad play, or at the very least, a wasted down by throwing it away.

I don't think its a much as not letting him play. Its about coaching him to be more careful with the football. That has always been Fisher's MO, and I for one, agree with it. For every highlight play Davis may make, he usually ends up with 3 negative plays to go along with it. Again, in his 7 1/2 games, there have been THREE he has thrown < 30 passes in. Care to guess which 3 games the Rams have won?
Which games has the defense played their best games??

Going up 21-0 against cowpokes and losing is davis' fault, 14-0 on whiners? Almost having the biggest comeback in nfl history against the Eagles? Who put us in that hole?

I am done with this thread for now, and not because of you coachO, but just want to enjoy the win and not think of any of the bad yet.

Rams0307

This is a spot on post. More is less with Davis at QB. The Seattle game was pretty much a flawless game by him because we started the game running the football and never stopped. That allowed Davis to not feel like he had to do too much. It was a great game plan by Schotty for sure.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont even know who you are or how this post is directed at me...

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Try to put a little thought into your posts and add some content not just game day reactions...those are for the chat/and or gameday thread
I wasn't aware of the gameday or limitations on chats but I can assure you there was plenty of thought in that post as it was a carry over from last weeks game not to mention the nearly 3 picks that occurred in the first quarter.Had he completed that pass to a wide open TE the game would not have come down to the goal line stand.
Regards ,
Calvin

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't aware of the gameday or chants but I can assure you there was plenty of thought in that post as it was a carry over from last weeks game not mention the nearly 3 picks that occured in the first quarter.Had he completed that pass to a wide open TE the game would not have come down to the goal line stand.
Regards ,
Calvin
No sweat my boy...I wasnt trying to disrespect you

rams2050

Starter
I just want to enjoy this win for a while, and think, hope, wish for another one next week.

If Davis can do whatever it takes to suck the life out of the Big Dead, together with another awesome performance by the Rams' D, I will be one very happy camper.

lockdnram21

Legend
oh i agree with that 100%. I still think Davis can potentially be "the man" if the line is better is all, potentially. This was a bad game for Davis and I think the limitations put on him by the coaches are effecting him also. He has lost his #1 wr, his LT, his center and RG are not playing well, and he hasnt started many games. I am hoping for the best but we shall see. Hope they continue to start him so we can see more and if he progresses.
i wouldnt start him vs Az we need a vet who can take what the defense gives him. We need someone thats not going to Bail on the pocket quick. If our defense can play at this level next week need a game manager. Az gone have fun with Ad if hes the starter

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Which games has the defense played their best games??

Going up 21-0 against cowpokes and losing is davis' fault, 14-0 on whiners? Almost having the biggest comeback in nfl history against the Eagles? Who put us in that hole?

I am done with this thread for now, and not because of you coachO, but just want to enjoy the win and not think of any of the bad yet.

Lets see, to answer your questions in reverse order. Who put us in the hole vs. the Eagles? how did the fumble into EndZone resulting in an defensive score impact that game. That had as much to do with it as any. The blocked punt didn't help, so please don't put that on the defense.

Now, you bring up the Cowboys game..... I guess you just disregard the impact throwing another pick 6 as a key point in that collapse.

Davis, or any QB for that matter gets way too much credit AND blame for wins and losses. We have seen enough of that on another forum for years now. But also, trying to say Davis is above reproach in the 3-5 record just isn't accurate. He has had as much to do with it as any other unit/player/coach on this team.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King

Usually keeping a play a live is the result of a bad offensive line. I agree Austin has made a lot mistakes but the o line has been a major factor and that's not new. Have you for gotten that the o line has gotten all of our prior starters killed. Schotty has also struggled to create game plans consistently that account for poor line play.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What really surprised me today was seeing a screen for the first time in how many games?

Athos

Legend
The Offensive line isn't as bad as Davis is making them look. He bails at the first sign of pressure, real or imagined. When he takes a 3 or 5 step drop, and had time to set his feet, which he does regularly, he has time to get the ball out "on time".

Agree for once. Though this is the first time Davis' early bailing was as blatant as I've seen. But then, I've been getting MUCHO practice at spotting earlier pocket bailers after watching Mizzou's Maty Mauk bail hard 20 yards in reverse. (n)

This was the first game I wanted Davis pulled. Missed Britt for an easy TD, missed a couple other guys, namely Cookie. Like Mauk as well. Davis doesn't like to give up on plays he should. i.e. throwing the ball away. He did run forward for once. He could have done that many more times instead of doing that Maty Mauk special (run 20 yards any direction except the one that nets positive yardage).

All that said, Davis Joseph's play makes one want to PUKE. And there's no sugarcoating that fact. He's just really, super bad. And Wells isn't much better.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Usually keeping a play a live is the result of a bad offensive line. I agree Austin has made a lot mistakes but the o line has been a major factor and that's not new. Have you for gotten that the o line has gotten all of our prior starters killed. Schotty has also struggled to create game plans consistently that account for poor line play.
I just don't agree with that. I am not saying that this oline is the second coming of the old Cardiac Cards Oline, (the days of Dierdorf, Dobler, Banks and co.), but IMO, when the QB doesn't get the ball out on time, it makes the blocking seem a whole lot worse than it is. There was one throw today where I actually thought Davis was decisive, and got the ball out on time, and to the right receiver. It was right after he missed a play, and he came back and completely a 3rd down pass to Cook. I actually thought it was Hill at first, because it was so unlike Davis.

If he would get rid of the ball, much the same way teams have been doing to our dline for much of the first 7 games, then we aren't talking about how bad the line is. But he just hasn't shown the ability to do it consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.