Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm thinking that Davis is experiencing his 'sophomore slump' somewhat early in the process, as in almost a year early.

He had some rave reviews early on, and then he began believing his press. Nothing wrong with that, but then in response to the 'rave reviews' he began trying to do too much. Result? Increased interceptions and more sacks.

BUT we have to consider what he has been playing with the last couple of weeks: he has lost his FAVORITE receiver, in Quick; for some reason, Zac Stacey is in the doghouse (after his 2 KC carries of (I think) 7 and 9 yards; AND the O-line has been decimated.

Let us consider that O-line for a moment, if you will. He has a rookie Left Tackle who is just learning the art of pass protection (do you think THAT gave Davis a load of confidence today?), he has Davin 'Revolving Door' Joseph, Scott 'ooh, I made a bad snap' Wells at center (who also has been less than healthy), Saffold (ooh, I hurt my shoulder again), and Barksdale who, as I recall, was beat like a rented mule in KC. So, do you REALLY think Davis was feeling fairly confident about the level of protection that he would be receiving today?? At least Zac Stacy was good at blitz pickup, although it did sound like Tre Mason was doing better today, as well.

And why didn't they get Benny Cunningham more involved? I think that switching between him and Mason or putting both in the backfield might have really screwed with the Whiners' heads.

As it is we won the last 2 of 3 games with Davis who, I admit, isn't winning the games on his own but then he isn't losing them all by himself, either.

I think that right now the game is probably still too fast for him. One of these days it will slow down for him and he will gain some confidence in other receivers and he will stop trying to force passes and, hope of all hope, he will begin to SEE open receivers. If all those things happen he may still be the ONE!
I think you just stole my heart 2050, great post!!!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking that Davis is experiencing his 'sophomore slump' somewhat early in the process, as in almost a year early.

He had some rave reviews early on, and then he began believing his press. Nothing wrong with that, but then in response to the 'rave reviews' he began trying to do too much. Result? Increased interceptions and more sacks.

BUT we have to consider what he has been playing with the last couple of weeks: he has lost his FAVORITE receiver, in Quick; for some reason, Zac Stacey is in the doghouse (after his 2 KC carries of (I think) 7 and 9 yards; AND the O-line has been decimated.

Let us consider that O-line for a moment, if you will. He has a rookie Left Tackle who is just learning the art of pass protection (do you think THAT gave Davis a load of confidence today?), he has Davin 'Revolving Door' Joseph, Scott 'ooh, I made a bad snap' Wells at center (who also has been less than healthy), Saffold (ooh, I hurt my shoulder again), and Barksdale who, as I recall, was beat like a rented mule in KC. So, do you REALLY think Davis was feeling fairly confident about the level of protection that he would be receiving today?? At least Zac Stacy was good at blitz pickup, although it did sound like Tre Mason was doing better today, as well.

And why didn't they get Benny Cunningham more involved? I think that switching between him and Mason or putting both in the backfield might have really screwed with the Whiners' heads.

As it is we won the last 2 of 3 games with Davis who, I admit, isn't winning the games on his own but then he isn't losing them all by himself, either.

I think that right now the game is probably still too fast for him. One of these days it will slow down for him and he will gain some confidence in other receivers and he will stop trying to force passes and, hope of all hope, he will begin to SEE open receivers. If all those things happen he may still be the ONE!
Seriously....as @Tron said....great post bro

Rams0307

52306011.jpg

Does it bring you any pleasure when the Rams WIN?

Ah, yes. Let's never question anything. Let's only post about the positives and ignore the negatives...after all things have been so great for Rams fans the last decade. If you don't want to see criticism of Davis, don't open the thread. It's that simple.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ah, yes. Let's never question anything. Let's only post about the positives and ignore the negatives...after all things have been so great for Rams fans the last decade. If you don't want to see criticism of Davis, don't open the thread. It's that simple.
Or you know, we can actually enjoy the win for a few minutes before bashing players. Just a thought.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

OK

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If there was a turnstile installed instead of a player at RG that would have actually slowed them down more. Peyton Manning would have had similar results given the same circumstances.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If you aren't enjoying the win, that's on you.
I am loving the win and riding high. That's why I am befuddled at a thread created right after the win in which it bashes a player on the winning team. Can't even wait a few hours?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Some nice points .
Also. AM I the only one thinks the coaching staff has reeled him in from his gunslinger persona? We have played some of the best defenses in the league the past 4 weeks as well. I feel the coaching staff have tried to get him to be more of a game manager. The "take what the defense gives you" train of thought seems a bit out of the box for this kid. He seems to play better on the fly.
He has room to grow though. I think k the kid has what it takes to play. Let him play.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
I am loving the win and riding high. That's why I am befuddled at a thread created right after the win in which it bashes a player on the winning team. Can't even wait a few hours?

I'm loving the win too but we won in spite of Davis today.. if he had hit Kendricks at the end to seal it, it'd be a different story

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Some nice points .
Also. AM I the only one thinks the coaching staff has reeled him in from his gunslinger persona? We have played some of the best defenses in the league the past 4 weeks as well. I feel the coaching staff have tried to get him to be more of a game manager. The "take what the defense gives you" train of thought seems a bit out of the box for this kid. He seems to play better on the fly.
He has room to grow though. I think k the kid has what it takes to play. Let him play.

i agree 100% with you thoughts. They are trying to limit him, which hasnt been a bad thing at times, but seem to be doing it to much. They just need to let him play.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thank goodness we won, I'd be in jeopardy of getting banned on this thread.

Go Rams!!!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm loving the win too but we won in spite of Davis today.. if he had hit Kendricks at the end to seal it, it'd be a different story
But we still would have won. i know Davis has his faults, But can we wait a few minutes or hours before hating on him is all. I still think the O-line is a bigger problem than our QB issues.

lockdnram21

Legend
But we still would have won. i know Davis has his faults, But can we wait a few minutes or hours before hating on him is all. I still think the O-line is a bigger problem than our QB issues.
put it like this our line wasnt as bad as 49ers. With a better qb that game would have been way easier then they made it

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

I'll give you the oline, but again, he can avoid some of these things on his own. Like knowing where his hot read is when the late pressure comes, or stepping up in the pocket instead of always ducking and running. Ducking and running out of the pocket is pretty much his only answer right now when there's the slightest bit of pressure shown.

And I don't care who you are you CANNOT make throws like he did today on the turnovers and expect to win in this league especially on the road. Mason and Cunningham have been great in the backfield in Stacys absence btw. Doesn't help that they have to run against a stacked box every snap because our QB can't throw the ball more than 30 yards.

The kid can make some plays at times and can be fun to root for, but defenses are starting to expose him and he's losing confidence. Hopefully he'll get some back after this win and have some good tape to watch, because like others have said I don't think Fisher will take him out right now. Regardless of what happens we NEED to find a way to get the ball down field at least a few times a game to keep the defense honest. The challenge is on both Davis and Schotty.

I'm very happy we got the win don't get me wrong, but we were 1 play away, 1 YARD AWAY from another really dumb loss. One that could've been easily avoided by better coaching and just slightly better play. The good thing is, WE DID WIN and we have plenty of tape/mistakes to watch and try to correct.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
put it like this our line wasnt as bad as 49ers. With a better qb that game would have been way easier then they made it

oh i agree with that 100%. I still think Davis can potentially be "the man" if the line is better is all, potentially. This was a bad game for Davis and I think the limitations put on him by the coaches are effecting him also. He has lost his #1 wr, his LT, his center and RG are not playing well, and he hasnt started many games. I am hoping for the best but we shall see. Hope they continue to start him so we can see more and if he progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.