Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V3

Hall of Fame
Absolutely. Does it give you any pleasure to play every season for next year's draft pick? As a Rams fan for over 40 years, I've had the most fun when they are a playoff team. Brandon Weeden might be the only other QB playing today who could have kept this game close. This is a special defense that was on fire today. Any average QB would have won this game by at least 21. I LOL at you for wanting to waste this special defense by playing for next year's draft. Hill isn't the QB of the future, but he might be able to lead our present team to the playoffs. I think Davis has shown he can't - sorry for not waiting the required amount of time to share my opinion.
I think it's borderline delusional to think Hill would take this team to the playoffs. Nothing personal. I just think that's beyond optimistic thinking.

Athos

Legend
Davis, or any QB for that matter gets way too much credit AND blame for wins and losses. We have seen enough of that on another forum for years now. But also, trying to say Davis is above reproach in the 3-5 record just isn't accurate.

Well, Davis should have had the Cowgirls win. That most certainly was/is on the D. Well, that a bunch of phantom calls or no calls by the refs.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
You're absolutely right, an average QB would have won by 21, and Sam Bradford would have thrown for 700 yards and 8 TDs all with his left hand.

Your power to peer in to the realm of what may have been is both impressive and frightening.

All I know is that while he's by no means perfect (and maybe not the long term solution) Austin Davis is out there getting his ass kicked behind a "transitional" OLine trying to win games for the Rams every week.

……..or is it the WR's, RB's, and Oline are getting their butts kicked with a transitional QB trying to win games every week? Don't get me wrong, I love the way Davis plays - he's got heart. I just think he's a back up level QB and we're better this season with Hill. If you think Davis is better than Hill, I disagree, but there's plenty of good arguments you could make. If you think Davis played well today, however, well I guess we're just not capable of having a conversation. Have a good night.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I think it's borderline delusional to think Hill would take this team to the playoffs. Nothing personal. I just think that's beyond optimistic thinking.
You might be right. My point is we already know Davis can't. Why not try the guy who beat him out in the preseason?

Athos

Legend
If he would get rid of the ball, much the same way teams have been doing to our dline for much of the first 7 games, then we aren't talking about how bad the line is. But he just hasn't shown the ability to do it consistently.

But aren't teams calling a lot of WR screens. Effective WR screens at that? Don't think I've ever seen Shotty run the screens other teams have successfully ran against us to help mitigate our pass rush. Not that I recall at least. That's on the OC.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
I just don't agree with that. I am not saying that this oline is the second coming of the old Cardiac Cards Oline, (the days of Dierdorf, Dobler, Banks and co.), but IMO, when the QB doesn't get the ball out on time, it makes the blocking seem a whole lot worse than it is. There was one throw today where I actually thought Davis was decisive, and got the ball out on time, and to the right receiver. It was right after he missed a play, and he came back and completely a 3rd down pass to Cook. I actually thought it was Hill at first, because it was so unlike Davis.

If he would get rid of the ball, much the same way teams have been doing to our dline for much of the first 7 games, then we aren't talking about how bad the line is. But he just hasn't shown the ability to do it consistently.
Nothing about the Rams is consistent except losing as much as it pains me to say that. I hoping the D continues this trend.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
But aren't teams calling a lot of WR screens. Effective WR screens at that? Don't think I've ever seen Shotty run the screens other teams have successfully ran against us to help mitigate our pass rush. Not that I recall at least. That's on the OC.

I dont think they are calling a ton of WR screens. I think that many think screens are just a fall back play when teams are blitzing as much as they have been against the Rams. The thing is, most teams tend to play primarily zone against us, and screens just aren't as effective against zone defenses. On that rare occasions he has caught them in man coverage, they have been successful, as was the case today with the screen to Cunningham. Its not always just about the OC and the play calling. It has more to do with what the defense is giving them, and having something to attack it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You might be right. My point is we already know Davis can't. Why not try the guy who beat him out in the preseason?

Hmm. Of course, Hill was going to be the #2 from the beginning of camp, and got to work with better players, as opposed to guys who weren't going to make the team.

FWIW (not a whole lot, I'll grant) Hill's record as a starter with the Rams is 0-1. Davis is 3-4. And take away that phantom OPI call in the first 49er game, should be 4-3.

But of course, neither QB this season is likely to be gangbusters. However, Davis is more likely to contribute in future seasons. I'd rather see him.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I don't see why not because if the defense plays as well as we did today,Hill will make the throws that Davis can't.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I could have sworn I didn't start a vent thread today but here we are.

Who gives a damn how this team wins, whether it's a brilliant offensive or defensive effort or special teams? I'm so sick and tired of hearing what Bradford would have done and now Hill. Guess what, they're not on the field. Bradford because of his continual injuries and Hill because with this O-line he'd be on IR himself within a couple of games. Austin Davis is basically a rookie who just played the seventh game of his career and yet some here want to bench him. Unbelievable!

What baffles me is the amount of bitching and moaning that goes on here after a win. It's no wonder the previous two ROD owners left this site in their rear view mirrors. This thread would fit right in over at RamsTalk with the other ones posted on their front page.

Davis Already Running For His Life
Rams won't be bad enough to land Mariota. Who's 2nd?
Let's Sign Jamarcus Russell!!
Brace Yourself--9ers will humiliate Rams
Schotty going ultra conservative…is why Rams lost
Trumaine Johnson tried to lose it for the Rams

Yeah, you all have a right to your opinions but 6 pages of this crap and then some of the rest of us have a right to express ourselves as well. Rant over.

lockdnram21

Legend
Hmm. Of course, Hill was going to be the #2 from the beginning of camp, and got to work with better players, as opposed to guys who weren't going to make the team.

FWIW (not a whole lot, I'll grant) Hill's record as a starter with the Rams is 0-1. Davis is 3-4. And take away that phantom OPI call in the first 49er game, should be 4-3.

But of course, neither QB this season is likely to be gangbusters. However, Davis is more likely to contribute in future seasons. I'd rather see him.
your right neither is the answer but imo Davis is showing why he was the #4 qb. he was a mixed bag vs poor defenses and not even ok vs good defenses he was lucky defense bailed him out today

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don

This is the mindset that frustrates me - "more likely to contribute in future seasons". Nothing personal, I've done it too, but I'm sick of looking to the future. We have a great defense now. Let's not waste it. Davis' ceiling is Matt Moore or Shaun Hill. That's great, but you know who is as good as Shaun Hill right now? Shaun Hill. On another note, gonna have to change my name to DrPostalot after tonight.

jap

Legend

I suggested this a couple of times already: take a tip from Fish and impose a 24-hour rule so the negative posters can get all their negativity out on GameDays.

I still see a possible playoff team with the Horns if these young guys start growing up and hang tough for the next eight games. Stranger things have happened. I have no problem with fans being realistic to my optimistic outlooks, but the overbearing negativity is ridiculous. If a 'fan' is that negative. go root for a winning team!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis killed us today. I'm sorry but it's true. The guy cost us two TDs with an under-throw and his throw-away. He threw a pick on a play where Britt was wide open on a crossing route. He constantly flushed out of the pocket which ruined the timing on routes and made our passing offense completely ineffective. And when he did flush, it was almost always too early. He also has issues seeing the short routes over the middle of the field. Not to mention the numerous bad decisions he made and the numerous other plays where his indecisiveness cost us.

Davis was just plain bad. It seemed like he got exposed.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I suggested this a couple of times already: take a tip from Fish and impose a 24-hour rule so the negative posters can get all their negativity out on GameDays.

I still see a possible playoff team with the Horns if these young guys start growing up and hang tough for the next eight games. Stranger things have happened. I have no problem with fans being realistic to my optimistic outlooks, but the overbearing negativity is ridiculous. If a 'fan' is that negative. go root for a winning team!
I don't think questioning the ability of our former 3rd string QB who has been thrust into a starting position and had an aweful game is "that" negative. Now I never really like the posters with the "Off with his head" mentality, but realistically questioning whether this guy is the answer is not something we should have to wait some arbitrary amount of time to discuss so that some people's warm and fuzzies go away.

That being said, I'd bet all my ROD dollars he starts next week as long as he is active on game day. We don't really have too many options at the moment.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don

Who gives a damn how this team wins, whether it's a brilliant offensive or defensive effort or special teams? I'm so sick and tired of hearing what Bradford would have done and now Hill. Guess what, they're not on the field. Bradford because of his continual injuries and Hill because with this O-line he'd be on IR himself within a couple of games. Austin Davis is basically a rookie who just played the seventh game of his career and yet some here want to bench him. Unbelievable!

What baffles me is the amount of bitching and moaning that goes on here after a win. It's no wonder the previous two ROD owners left this site in their rear view mirrors. This thread would fit right in over at RamsTalk with the other ones posted on their front page.

Davis Already Running For His Life
Rams won't be bad enough to land Mariota. Who's 2nd?
Let's Sign Jamarcus Russell!!
Brace Yourself--9ers will humiliate Rams
Schotty going ultra conservative…is why Rams lost
Trumaine Johnson tried to lose it for the Rams

Yeah, you all have a right to your opinions but 6 pages of this crap and then some of the rest of us have a right to express ourselves as well. Rant over.

Yet you just bi$#hed and moaned more than everyone combined on this thread….and after a win. There's disagreement, but nothing compared to Ramstalk. Some of us think Hill is better than Davis. Some us think it's ok to express that opinion whether Kaep hangs onto that ball or not. Lighten up, Frances.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Davis killed us today. I'm sorry but it's true. The guy cost us two TDs with an under-throw and his throw-away. He threw a pick on a play where Britt was wide open on a crossing route. He constantly flushed out of the pocket which ruined the timing on routes and made our passing offense completely ineffective. And when he did flush, it was almost always too early. He also has issues seeing the short routes over the middle of the field. Not to mention the numerous bad decisions he made and the numerous other plays where his indecisiveness cost us.

Davis was just plain bad. It seemed like he got exposed.

Yeah, he played badly today. There's no arguing that. But let's take some other factors into consideration that the sharks in this thread who smell blood in the water are not talking about.

1. He looked a lot less shaky in the second half, no?
2. He was playing on the road against a good defense in a hostile environment.
3. His O-line didn't help him much today...again.
4. He has lots of practice squad experience but little game experience. Ask any QB in the NFL how important that is.
5. His OC is not exactly top-notch when it comes to game planning.
6. He only missed one play and that was to adjust his knee brace.

Bring in Shaun Hill next game and I'll bet all my ROD dollars that some people will be on here bitching and moaning about him no matter the end result of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.