Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yet you just bi$#hed and moaned more than everyone combined on this thread….and after a win. There's disagreement, but nothing compared to Ramstalk. Some of us think Hill is better than Davis. Some us think it's ok to express that opinion whether Kaep hangs onto that ball or not. Lighten up, Frances.

The difference between my bitching and moaning and some of what has gone on in this thread is that I'm not complaining about a player but about the vibe in this thread, which as a mod I have every right to do.

Step lightly.

jap

Legend
I don't think questioning the ability of our former 3rd string QB who has been thrust into a starting position and had an aweful game is "that" negative. Now I never really like the posters with the "Off with his head" mentality, but realistically questioning whether this guy is the answer is not something we should have to wait some arbitrary amount of time to discuss so that some people's warm and fuzzies go away.

That being said, I'd bet all my ROD dollars he starts next week as long as he is active on game day. We don't really have too many options at the moment.

I wonder about whether it makes a lot of sense to question if what is essentially a 'rookie' QB who was unexpectedly thrust into a starting role is the "answer." Once out starting QB went down, our season was expected to be in the toilet. However, we are still harboring an outside shot at being a playoff contender.

In any regards, it's the extreme over-the-top negativity I am really concerned with. I don't see why so many never seem to see anything more than doom & destruction.

For the third straight season we have the NFL's youngest team. What the hell do people expect? I always tend to be optimistic for that's my nature. However, why should people get so bent out of shape when young players make boners? Those things are expected! from young players, and coaches expect to live with those mistakes as long as they are not too frequent or too untimely. Once more we have more than our share of injuries. Yet we are still fighting and hanging tough in most games. As this young team starts fighting past adversity, their confidence will grow that they can fight through anything if they hang tough together. Isn't that something extremely positive?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think the thing with Davis (at least today) that really concerns me is when he did scramble and had opportunities to make plays he badly under threw a coupe of balls. One for the INT that should of been an easy TD. I'm not going to tear the kid apart as it's not easy to play QB. Maybe it's just one bad day against a good D. I personally would rather start Hill but I'm willing to see more before going nuts on the kid.

Reality is the D won this game for us and the refs (ugh) once again tried to take it away.

We won so for now we should all be happy until we have something else to be pissed about.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the mindset that frustrates me - "more likely to contribute in future seasons". Nothing personal, I've done it too, but I'm sick of looking to the future. We have a great defense now. Let's not waste it. Davis' ceiling is Matt Moore or Shaun Hill. That's great, but you know who is as good as Shaun Hill right now? Shaun Hill. On another note, gonna have to change my name to DrPostalot after tonight.

Let's be honest. While Hill doesn't have the lows that Davis has shown at times - it's dubious that he looks as good at times as Davis does either. And playing a weak team with a weak rush and an OL that was actually reasonably healthy - he got injured.

I was a Hill supporter. But despite today Davis has looked good overall. And even with today he has looked solid overall.

Davis has had bad stats the last two weeks. Last week of course he lost his LT (and consequently his LG) fairly early. His RG shortly thereafter. His #1 receiver. This week he faced a team that had played him tough not long before, with two weeks to game plan for him, with a swiss cheese line and his favorite target out for the season. He sucked for most of the game, but managed to pull out the win. Give him another start at least.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, he played badly today. There's no arguing that. But let's take some other factors into consideration that the sharks in this thread who smell blood in the water are not talking about.

1. He looked a lot less shaky in the second half, no?

Not really. He made less disastrous decisions but I still think he looked bad.

2. He was playing on the road against a good defense in a hostile environment.
3. His O-line didn't help him much today...again.

I'm sorry but I can't put this one on the OL. You can maneuver around pressure without flushing from the pocket. There were multiple plays where Davis could have very easily slid in the pocket to avoid the pressure and didn't. You're going to have guys come off the edge, the QB's job is to climb the ladder and find a throwing lane.

The OL wasn't magnificent but Davis made them look worse with his overreaction to pressure and holding the ball too long.

4. He has lots of practice squad experience but little game experience. Ask any QB in the NFL how important that is.
5. His OC is not exactly top-notch when it comes to game planning.
6. He only missed one play and that was to adjust his knee brace.

Bring in Shaun Hill next game and I'll bet all my ROD dollars that some people will be on here bitching and moaning about him no matter the end result of the game.

Probably will be. Our QB options just aren't good right now.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I wonder about whether it makes a lot of sense to question if what is essentially a 'rookie' QB who was unexpectedly thrust into a starting role is the "answer." Once out starting QB went down, our season was expected to be in the toilet. However, we are still harboring an outside shot at being a playoff contender.

In any regards, it's the extreme over-the-top negativity I am really concerned with. I don't see why so many never seem to see anything more than doom & destruction.

For the third straight season we have the NFL's youngest team. What the hell do people expect? I always tend to be optimistic for that's my nature. However, why should people get so bent out of shape when young players make boners? Those things are expected! from young players, and coaches expect to live with those mistakes as long as they are not too frequent or too untimely. Once more we have more than our share of injuries. Yet we are still fighting and hanging tough in most games. As this young team starts fighting past adversity, their confidence will grow that they can fight through anything if they hang tough together. Isn't that something extremely positive?
Dude, this is the team that won the Superbowl with Kurt Warner, of course I'm going to question and give every quarterback a chance at being "the answer". And you say you're the optimist? o_O

However, I can agree with your sentiment regarding the over the top personalities that can spawn on any board. Emotions run high in these games though and we have been through a lot of turmoil as rams fans. It becomes a nasty habit that we all need to break I think.

jap

Legend
Dude, this is the team that won the Superbowl with Kurt Warner, of course I'm going to question and give every quarterback a chance at being "the answer". And you say you're the optimist? o_O

I know you are being sarcastic, but I like to think of myself as realistically optimistic. I like to envision things going mostly right, but I'm not unduly shocked when they go real South---especially with such a young squad.

As long as we can get effective efforts from our OL & RB's and cut down on the untimely penalties, we don't have to put the game in our young QB's hands so much. Our D is getting better with GW's schemes. Perhaps we can have a fast & furious finish.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I could have sworn I didn't start a vent thread today but here we are.

Who gives a damn how this team wins, whether it's a brilliant offensive or defensive effort or special teams? I'm so sick and tired of hearing what Bradford would have done and now Hill. Guess what, they're not on the field. Bradford because of his continual injuries and Hill because with this O-line he'd be on IR himself within a couple of games. Austin Davis is basically a rookie who just played the seventh game of his career and yet some here want to bench him. Unbelievable!

What baffles me is the amount of bitching and moaning that goes on here after a win. It's no wonder the previous two ROD owners left this site in their rear view mirrors. This thread would fit right in over at RamsTalk with the other ones posted on their front page.

Davis Already Running For His Life
Rams won't be bad enough to land Mariota. Who's 2nd?
Let's Sign Jamarcus Russell!!
Brace Yourself--9ers will humiliate Rams
Schotty going ultra conservative…is why Rams lost
Trumaine Johnson tried to lose it for the Rams

Yeah, you all have a right to your opinions but 6 pages of this crap and then some of the rest of us have a right to express ourselves as well. Rant over.

I'm with ya Prime and there are a bunch of people here who if I were in your place would be going back to Ramstalk,
Yeah I said it , take this shit to the vent thread or take a hike.

I came here to see a celebration ,we just beat the 9r's at home ,and they may not have played their best game but they had a great deal to do with how Davis played JUST LIKE we had a lot to do with how Kaepernick played BOTH QB's were roughed up and those defenses made them both look bad,we won ,next year is a long way away.
SICK OF THE RAMSTALK STYLE BITCHING AFTER A WIN,some people just HAVE to be miserable.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not about to say Hill is better than Davis because he can't scramble as well. Davis has had tough outings the last couple weeks, but ARZ is giving up a ton of passing yards so we'll see how it goes.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm not about to say Hill is better than Davis because he can't scramble as well. Davis has had tough outings the last couple weeks, but ARZ is giving up a ton of passing yards so we'll see how it goes.
Yup and if our pass rush keeps playing like this, Palmer will be mincemeat

RamzFanz

Damnit
As the biggest "start Hill damnit" person around, I just want to say two things:

Hill is better than Davis.

Rams are so talented, they could be scary good.

Edit by Prime Time: Leave God out of this. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

goldenram

UDFA
I came here to see a celebration ,we just beat the 9r's at home ,and they may not have played their best game but they had a great deal to do with how Davis played JUST LIKE we had a lot to do with how Kaepernick played BOTH QB's were roughed up and those defenses made them both look bad,we won ,next year is a long way away.
SICK OF THE RAMSTALK STYLE BITCHING AFTER A WIN,some people just HAVE to be miserable.
With ya Thor, weez won! Our D made Kapperchic look like what their D did 2nd half last game to AD. Think AD will be fine, Confidence is a good motivator for a team. Let's go beat some Cardinal AZZ!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Absolutely. Does it give you any pleasure to play every season for next year's draft pick? As a Rams fan for over 40 years, I've had the most fun when they are a playoff team. Brandon Weeden might be the only other QB playing today who could have kept this game close. This is a special defense that was on fire today. Any average QB would have won this game by at least 21. I LOL at you for wanting to waste this special defense by playing for next year's draft. Hill isn't the QB of the future, but he might be able to lead our present team to the playoffs. I think Davis has shown he can't - sorry for not waiting the required amount of time to share my opinion.

I fully agree with this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Davis looked capable against the Eagles and Cowboys. Oh wait his Oline was in tact then. Now he has GRob relearning OLT and how to pass pro there. Saffold is on the bench, or laying on the ground somewhere and the center is inconsistent. Oh and Joseph is standing there trying to figure out who to block still. The Oline is playing poorly and cannot handle the extra pressure.

People complain about Davis not standing tall in the pocket? When was there a pocket? And they are saying he jets at the hint of pressure? That was no hint, it was pressure. Should he stand and take a sack?

Everyone knew he doesn't have an NFL arm, and maybe not the field awareness of Wilson, but he has played well and he avoids getting leveled much better than Bradford or Hill. Much better.

Until the line is fixed no QB can be successful, unless the guy has legs and can keep the pressure at bay by running. I hav been drumming for the line to be fixed since Devanney was here. Ubfortunately I am still drumming. At least some pieces are in place. Well one piece anyway.

RamsFan14

Starter
The good comes with the bad ppl! Teams are figuring him out, that's the bad news, but hopefully Davis finds a way to adjust. He's had very impressive moments in his first sent as a starter and of course some bad moments as well. That's the growing pains of the NFL folks, you can't forget that! Yea people want to say he's been bad and that he should be benched, I kinda disagree. He's had outstanding moments during the season, and he's been a fairly consistent player before that 2nd half of the MNF game against the 49ers. He needs some time to learn, I think he's earned it. You gotta play to learn, he could be an option for next year. We won't figure that out if he's on the bench. I kinda doubt Hill is anything special at this point, but heck you never know... I didn't think Davis would be as good as he's been (minus the last two games).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone knew he doesn't have an NFL arm, and maybe not the field awareness of Wilson, but he has played well and he avoids getting leveled much better than Bradford or Hill. Much better.

He avoids getting leveled because he bails on the pocket which in turn neuters our passing game. I'd much prefer we had a QB willing to get leveled so he can hit on those timing routes. There were multiple instances where Davis could have made a throw for a first down or a TD if he had stayed in the pocket and taken a hit but he chose to bail and it ended up in a throw away.

Even when he did scramble, his throws were inaccurate and his reads were poor.

Blame the OL all you want, they were far from perfect today but the QB takes some blame in it. He can make his OL look better. Unfortunately, Davis has tended to do the opposite.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'm trying to understand on what basis does all of this Hill love stand? The 5 games or whatever he started for detroit a thousand years ago? Is that it? Is there some agenda that I'm ignorant or apathetic to? We don't have a lot of options here folks so...Come on guys! Stick together! We just beat the freaking niners!!!!!!! Can we take a moment and celebrate?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ya know , we Rams fans have had three games we could celebrate this year and damned few the last 8, but some people gotta piss and moan after a win,world aint big enough to share with them ,much less a forum,we put up with the downers after a loss ,do we really have to put up with it after a win?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He avoids getting leveled because he bails on the pocket which in turn neuters our passing game. I'd much prefer we had a QB willing to get leveled so he can hit on those timing routes. There were multiple instances where Davis could have made a throw for a first down or a TD if he had stayed in the pocket and taken a hit but he chose to bail and it ended up in a throw away.

Even when he did scramble, his throws were inaccurate and his reads were poor.

Blame the OL all you want, they were far from perfect today but the QB takes some blame in it. He can make his OL look better. Unfortunately, Davis has tended to do the opposite.

Where would we find one of these QBs willing to get leveled over and over to hit timing routes? I'm not aware of any currently playing. Warner did it. Course it almost destroyed his career......
Kapernick bailed out and blew his reads just as much. It happens to young QBs under pressure. Right now I don't think anyone involved with the offense aside from the RBs is playing with poise or consistency.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where would we find one of these QBs willing to get leveled over and over to hit timing routes? I'm not aware of any currently playing. Warner did it. Course it almost destroyed his career......
Kapernick bailed out and blew his reads just as much. It happens to young QBs under pressure. Right now I don't think anyone involved with the offense aside from the RBs is playing with poise or consistency.

The guy on our sidelines with the bum knee was willing to stand tall and deliver.

There are a lot of QBs in the NFL that could succeed behind our OL. You want to know how to negate pressure and beat the blitz? Get the ball out quickly. Davis doesn't do that. Why do you think that Peyton Manning is rarely sacked no matter what OL he's behind? It ain't his mobility.

When teams blitz you, you do what other team do to us. You beat them with quick passes over the middle of the field. Issue is that Davis's field vision is poor over the middle of the field, he doesn't process things quickly enough(holds the ball too long) and flushes from the pocket at the first sign of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.