Captain hindsight: Robinson or Matthews?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Going back to May 8th, which tackle would you rather take 2nd overall?

• Jake Matthews

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Greg Robinson

Votes: 62 61.4%

• Total voters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if the Rams drafted Foles with the #2 pick in 2009, and he quickly washed out because he was too raw, then they drafted Kaepernick in 2014 with the #2 pick and he was also considered raw, I think there would be concerns that the Rams should have taken the more polished QB that went a few picks later. Even though Foles and Kaep had different college playing styles.

And those concerns would be laughable. You're holding what one player did against another...and worst of all, the two players have next to nothing in common. I'm done talking about Jason Smith. Will just go back to chuckling at people who bring him up in relation to Robinson and ignoring the compulsion to point out how foolish it is.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah and Tom Brady and Garrett Gilbert are both strong armed QBs taken in the 6th round. It's a ridiculous comparison...
They weren't drafted by the same team nor were they drafted to fill a hole year one, Just sayin. but this whole thread is redic and nothing but entertaining what if's

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They weren't drafted by the same team nor were they drafted to fill a hole year one, Just sayin. but this whole thread is redic and nothing but entertaining what if's

So? They have three things in common(QB, 6th Round, Strong Arms) just like Robinson and Smith(OT, #2, Rams). Obviously, they are worth comparing.

RamWoodie

Legend
For the Rams?

Yes that IS laughable.

The pick was a reach, the bought the hype just like they did when they fell in love with Quick.

It may well bare out but if it's doesn't soon then Snisher won't be around to see their tree bare fruit.
This is buffoonery...plain and simple.

Since you can't make a logical argument you evade the actual facts. GRob had his work cut out for him from the jump because you had very good players in front of him. He was a logical pick because of the injury to Long, and having the ability to play Guard, he was a versatile pick. NOT ONE LINEMAN taken in that draft was going to move Barksdale or Saffold out on this team...and if Long would have taken longer getting back at least there was stability.

Keep climbing uphill...:LOL:

Philly5

Rookie
Since you can't make a logical argument you evade the actual facts. GRob had his work cut out for him from the jump because you had very good players in front of him. He was a logical pick because of the injury to Long, and having the ability to play Guard, he was a versatile pick. NOT ONE LINEMAN taken in that draft was going to move Barksdale or Saffold out on this team...and if Long would have taken longer getting back at least there was stability.

When will the OL start playing like they are "very good"?

Joseph signed for 1 year $1.75m with $300k guaranteed. Is he also very good?

We took GRob at #2 to give us stability in case Long was slow getting back? Geez.

We all want GRob to work out, but lets not make stuff up.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't see why a vote or preference for Matthews automatically means that people think GRob is going to bust. I don't think he's going to bust, but I do have concerns that he may not become a quality pass blocker at the LT position. I had these concerns before the draft. It's not a question of having no patience, as some have said. I think everyone is aware that only three games have been played. The fact that Matthews is starting and holding his own and GRob is not may increase my suspicion that I was correct, but it in no way confirms it. I realize that the clock has only started on GRob, but people need to realize that at this point all anyone has is an essentially uninformed opinion. There are no facts here yet, I don't know why people keep asking for them. TBH I think that there is a good chance that it isn't going to matter which one we took, they'll both be good. Or Zach Martin could turn out to be better than both and we'll all be crying.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
1 Houston Texans Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina was starting before injury
2 St. Louis Rams Greg Robinson OT Auburn has he played? certainly not starting
3 Jacksonville Jaguars Blake Bortles QB UCF will be starting
4 Buffalo Bills Sammy Watkins WR Clemson is starting and has had some success 1 game over 100 yrds
5 Oakland Raiders Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo starting and producing
6 Atlanta Falcons Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M has been starting and playing LOT
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Evans WR Texas A&M has been starting 13 catches on 21 targets
8 Cleveland Browns Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State 7 combined tackles in each of the first 2 games
9 Minnesota Vikings Anthony Barr OLB UCLA playing well 17 combined tackles in 3 games
10 Detroit Lions Eric Ebron TE North Carolina only 3 catches but will be seeing an expanded roll this week
Some thoughts on this magical 10
#1, was JD playing well when injured?
#2 G-Rob is marinating....
#3 Bortles was on bench, and now gets his shot. His story is similar to G-Rob's. Wonder how he'll turn out.
#4 Watkins had a big game then was shut out last week. I won a nice lil bet in here.
#5 Mack has been very unimpressive to me.
#6 Matthews has been very unimpressive to me...And unless his man is constantly hitting the QB it's kinda hard to tell. But nothing special.
#7 Evans?!? talk about over-drafted.
#8 Gilbert, talk about over-drafted. And I liked him more than Fuller (fool I was)
#9 Barr, I really liked this kid, I guess he's doing ok, but it's early.
#10 Ebron? talk about over-drafted.
Point is, it's too early to tell. As long as a rookie starting isn't struggling, no one notices...And it's ok...

Yeah and Tom Brady and Garrett Gilbert are both strong armed QBs taken in the 6th round. It's a ridiculous comparison...
You mean Gilbert is the next Brady?! Man do I feel a lot better.
I'll say...slow week....

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heck, im not sure Watkins starts over Britt. How's that for a hypothetical?

Now... our defense sucks because? I'm good with our offense as of late.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I wonder where all of the Brian Quick threads have gone? I know, they died when he started performing (when many predicted he would, btw) and now we've moved on to Greg Robinson after 3 FREAKING GAMES. This shit is ridiculous.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
In hindsight?

I take the trade with Buffalo in a heartbeat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder where all of the Brian Quick threads have gone? I know, they died when he started performing (when many predicted he would, btw) and now we've moved on to Greg Robinson after 3 FREAKING GAMES. This crap is ridiculous.

Gotta be someone to harp on. Austin Davis has been shockingly good so we can't pick at him. Bradford is out of the picture. Craig Dahl is off the team. Brian Quick is performing. Isaiah Pead is on IR. Guess Greg Robinson is just the convenient target.

RFIP

We took GRob at #2 to give us stability in case Long was slow getting back? Geez.

Exactly.

When GRob can't beat out Joseph you have a real issue.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Exactly.

When GRob can't beat out Joseph you have a real issue.

The size of a players contract says more about his expected future with a team. It doesn't mean the guy can't play. Said player is usually given such a deal at his age as a stopgap AND/OR just so he can prove that he (still) can play.

Robinson is better physically. But, Joseph (a former Pro-Bowler), with his experience, is better mentally at this point. And when you have five guys that have to be on the same page, that makes him the better option at this point. Especially, for a team that was expected to make the a year three leap into contention.

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
In hindsight?

I take the trade with Buffalo in a heartbeat.

I wonder what Buffalo actually offered the Rams. As I recall when looking at the trade chart, the points seemed close to even with the deal they made. But, to get to #2 overall they would have had to have given up FAR MORE.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It's amazing how many people still don't seem to understand the concept of player development.

You don't draft players based on their spot on the depth chart coming out of training camp.

See: Orlando Pace, Robert Quinn, Brian Quick, and many, many more. The sooner these 'HEHASTOPLAYNOWORHE'SABUST!!' types understand this, the sooner their depth chart perusal gets much less stressful.

Stuff like this gives football fans that mouth-breathing reputation. Don't be a reactionary. Be a thinker.

Memphis Ram

Legend
One final note, as Memphis mentioned, Jason Smith had to put effort into putting on weight for the combine because he played around 300-305(at best) and was a former TE. One of his biggest issues coming out was his lack of "natural" strength and struggles driving players off the LOS due to underwhelming lower body strength. Greg Robinson LOST weight for the combine as a guy that played around 335-340.

taken from one of the articles I posted on another site that offseason:

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/70752/
Baylor OT JasonSmith Speaks

- Their starting to roll in now. The new setup here is nice for media but makes it hard to catch up with coaches and personnel types. Charismatic Baylor OT JasonSmith just came in and put on a show for the media. What a personality this kid has. Like Andre Smith, here’s some highlights from his media session:

- Smith checked in at 6’5, 309 pounds. He’s put on about 11 pounds since the end of the college season and is now at a weight he wanted to be going into this process. He certainly looks the part and says he will do participate in the entire workout.

RamWoodie

Legend

How is anything "made up"? Managing a team is about the future as much as the present dude! Did you read me saying Joseph at 1.75 mil is a very good?

Now...what was the OLine situation before the draft? Here were the main holes... Long - out...knee surgery & rehab, G - Dahl - gone, G - Shelly Smith - gone...and that's not counting others. So...WHAT did I make up?

In conclusion I'll also say "geez" on the basis that you didn't know the situation pre draft! GRob was a logical pick!

As for the OLine playing like they're very good, it's taking some time...but neither are they "very bad"...huh?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't think there's a problem ,but FWIW some people want there to be one,and for me it's getting tedious and JMO someone might have "issues" .