Captain hindsight: Robinson or Matthews?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Going back to May 8th, which tackle would you rather take 2nd overall?

• Jake Matthews

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Greg Robinson

Votes: 62 61.4%

• Total voters

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I don't think there's a problem ,but FWIW some people want there to be one,and for me it's getting tedious and JMO someone might have "issues" .
The oddest thing about this season so far has been the lack of production from the defense and not the play of the offensive line! This and the production from the wide receivers has been really good! Not as some here thought it would be!

Philly5

Rookie
How is anything "made up"? Managing a team is about the future as much as the present dude! Did you read me saying Joseph at 1.75 mil is a very good?

Now...what was the OLine situation before the draft? Here were the main holes... Long - out...knee surgery & rehab, G - Dahl - gone, G - Shelly Smith - gone...and that's not counting others. So...WHAT did I make up?

In conclusion I'll also say "geez" on the basis that you didn't know the situation pre draft! GRob was a logical pick!

As for the OLine playing like they're very good, it's taking some time...but neither are they "very bad"...huh?

IMO we took GRob because he was BPA. Nothing to do with Long recovering from injury. If we were worried about the short term then Mathews would have clearly been a better pick.

I don't think anybody on our OL is 'very good' like you claimed. Long was our best last year. Barksdale has been steady. Saffold flashed as a Guard.

GRob could end up like Pace or like Smith. We don't know. I still hope and think the best, but understand people being worried.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The oddest thing about this season so far has been the lack of production from the defense and not the play of the offensive line! This and the production from the wide receivers has been really good! Not as some here thought it would be!
And that's why I say we are missing Long more than we are Bradford, and that evaluating GROB NOW is something those who want to bang on him won't walk back when they should .
It'll just be move on to the next downer subject

RamWoodie

Legend
IMO we took GRob because he was BPA. Nothing to do with Long recovering from injury. If we were worried about the short term then Mathews would have clearly been a better pick.

I don't think anybody on our OL is 'very good' like you claimed. Long was our best last year. Barksdale has been steady. Saffold flashed as a Guard.

GRob could end up like Pace or like Smith. We don't know. I still hope and think the best, but understand people being worried.
So be it for you!

Also nevermind OLiners that are no longer on the roster ending 2013...Dahl, Smith, Washington, and Williams. That's not even including an injured Long and the fact that Saffold was an UFA!!!

Four holes...but GRob was BPA??? I think not!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's amazing how many people still don't seem to understand the concept of player development.

You don't draft players based on their spot on the depth chart coming out of training camp.

See: Orlando Pace, Robert Quinn, Brian Quick, and many, many more. The sooner these 'HEHASTOPLAYNOWORHE'SABUST!!' types understand this, the sooner their depth chart perusal gets much less stressful.

Stuff like this gives football fans that mouth-breathing reputation. Don't be a reactionary. Be a thinker.

I think beyond one person here, no one is actually failing to understand player development. But teams can and will draft for both potential and immediate depth chart help. Sometimes in the same draft. The fact that myself and maybe a few others think Matthews would be both a long term and immediate great player has less to do with GRob and more to do with Matthews. That's not reactionary, it's just an opinion on player potential. Most have taken pains to agree that it's been only three games, and most agree that GRob has great potential.

Also, it's only been 3 games into Brian Quick's emergence. Let's use the same patience that's being counseled here and perhaps wait until midseason before crowning him the next big thing. Let's hope he can continue his great play put an end to our unending search for a #1 WR.

IIRC Orlando Pace held out thru training camp, and wasn't prepared to start. Not the same thing as taking time to develop.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The things that the teams are allowed to do in practice make development slower than when Pace came in the league! This and the difference of 2 more years of college experience!

Volnerman08

Rookie
If players like Brian Quick have taught us one thing, it's that's some impact players don't always contribute as much as we would like early on. Some guys can come in and immediately make an impact and others just take time. It is way to early to be throwing out the word bust and I still have all the confidence in the world that he will be a dominant player. The funny thing is if he comes in and dominates in season 2 from the start all of this will be forgotten. Give the beast some time. If there is one coach on our staff to put your faith in, it's the guy coaching the OL.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Remember what happened when we put Jake Long in this preseason when he wasn't quite ready? Just sayin...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
See: Orlando Pace, Robert Quinn, Brian Quick, and many, many more. The sooner these 'HEHASTOPLAYNOWORHE'SABUST!!' types understand this, the sooner their depth chart perusal gets much less stressful.

Stuff like this gives football fans that mouth-breathing reputation. Don't be a reactionary. Be a thinker.

I have not seen anyone saying he is a bust but many are saying it is disappointing that he is not starting, particularly over a guy that no one in the league wanted at first looking including the Rams.

Mouth breather makes you look like you are trying too hard

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It's amazing how many people still don't seem to understand the concept of player development.

See: Orlando Pace, Robert Quinn, Brian Quick, and many, many more.
Pace was out because of contract, Quinn was playing his first year, Quick was drafted year one when the Rams had time to develop him.
So how long are we suppose to wait for Robinson to develop? Next year, year after, when Long, Laurnitas, are that much older. First its he is not a LT he's an OG. Then it now its he's not ready to play. Really irks me to see all these first round draft picks starting and playing and Robinson is on the bench and Donald is not starting.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This thread is ridiculous. It's like we're so traumatized as Rams fans that we have to make it worse. It's not enough that we're not playing well. We have to rub salt in it as well.

The fact of the matter is that Greg has more upside. I was in favor of moving down but his athletic talent and love for the game is undeniable.

He's a long term solution on a team that needs some consistency.

Doesn't do a thing to argue about it except to establish who among us is more masochistic.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pace was out because of contract, Quinn was playing his first year, Quick was drafted year one when the Rams had time to develop him.
So how long are we suppose to wait for Robinson to develop? Next year, year after, when Long, Laurnitas, are that much older. First its he is not a LT he's an OG. Then it now its he's not ready to play. Really irks me to see all these first round draft picks starting and playing and Robinson is on the bench and Donald is not starting.
Robert Quinn did not start his rookie year he was used at part of the rotation. Aaron Donald is not starting is his rookie year, he is being used as part of the rotation. How can you be okay with one but complain about the other?

Give Robinson some time its been 3 games... So to answer your question...longer than 3 games.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Robert Quinn did not start his rookie year he was used at part of the rotation. Aaron Donald is not starting is his rookie year, he is being used as part of the rotation. How can you be okay with one but complain about the other?

Give Robinson some time its been 3 games... So to answer your question...longer than 3 games.
Just to add to this, O-linemen don't have rotations so please no one suggest that by NJRramsFan's logic Robinson should be seeing "some" playing time. OL are meant to play all or nothing. Only D-line rotates its second stringers into the game.

A55VA6

Legend
I would still go with Robinson. Matthews is what he is and that's about it.

With Robinson, why throw him into the fire and ruin his confidence if you know he's not quite ready? We all knew he was raw and needed to learn pass protection. Drafting Robinson is a move for the future, not necessarily the present. Robinson will most likely develop into our starting LT.. possibly starting next season.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I voted Matthews, like 'Den the Coach" I felt before the draft that he's a sure thing, that being said...this board sure does seem to have it's share of impatient members who forget little things like Pace (not a starter until midway thru 1st year) The mighty Quinn (hell, he wasn't even active his first game, started 1 game I believe his 1st yr) the Reverend Issac Bruce was an absolute nobody his first season in Anaheim and oh yeah, Brian Quick is just now starting to look like a 2nd rd choice.

How shocking that a redshirt sophmore OT coming from a rinky-dink college offense isn't tearing up the league upon immediate entry... Yeah yeah yeah I know, this is a fan forum but c'mon. I'm okay so far with GRob

That is all

Last edited:

reggae

Hello all! My name is Roger, and I'm a college student in Missouri. After saving up all year, me and my friend were able to get season tickets for the first time. So far the product hasn't been as well as we hopes, but all in all I've had the absolute time of my life and haven't regretted it one bit.

So with that said, I'd like some input. My best friend is a Falcon fan, and has been bragging about the play of Jake Matthews, who is starting at LT. While he's certainly been the plug-and-play player that most people expected, I still strongly believe that we made the right decision in Greg Robinson. The surprising health of Saffold has definitely helped my decision.

So with that said, with all homerism aside, if you could go back to May 8th and see us take Matthews over Robinson at 2nd overall, would you? I know it's all completely hypothetical, but I'm curious as to if there's any buyers remorse around here. Regardless of Matthews' hot start and Robinson's bench riding, nobody will argue that GRob's ceiling isn't still significantly higher.

Thanks in advance for your input gang, and go Rams!
I think the issue is more Fisher's penchant for play a vet over a rookie all other things being equal.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think the issue is more Fisher's penchant for play a vet over a rookie all other things being equal.
I disagree. I think Fisher's penchant (which may come with an equivalent amount of controversy) is to play the most consistent player. Potential vs Consistency, Fisher chooses the latter every time.

Everyone will argue that reps will ultimately make GRob, or any other rookie better, but Fisher simply won't put people on the field that aren't ready. Which is controversial in its own right. But saying he starts vets over rookies is not accurate. Gaines started over Mcgee, and Tim Barnes was ahead of Jones on the Depth charts last year, Austin played more than Quick last year,and Ogletree highjacked Dunbars spot amd kicked Dunbar to the other side of the field.

Fisher starts rookies if they earn it.

reggae

I disagree. I think Fisher's penchant (which may come with an equivalent amount of controversy) is to play the most consistent player. Potential vs Consistency, Fisher chooses the latter every time.

Everyone will argue that reps will ultimately make GRob, or any other rookie better, but Fisher simply won't put people on the field that aren't ready. Which is controversial in its own right. But saying he starts vets over rookies is not accurate. Gaines started over Mcgee, and Tim Barnes was ahead of Jones on the Depth charts last year, Austin played more than Quick last year,and Ogletree highjacked Dunbars spot amd kicked Dunbar to the other side of the field.

Fisher starts rookies if they earn it.
You are right of course. Yet, I sill believe that when it comes to line play. Fisher will opt for the vet at nearly every opportunity.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I have not seen anyone saying he is a bust but many are saying it is disappointing that he is not starting, particularly over a guy that no one in the league wanted at first looking including the Rams.

Mouth breather makes you look like you are trying too hard

Who would that player be?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thing is always trading back.Granit we did not know Joseph was going to be a Ram.

Was mad about trading up for Tavon Austin.Was also mad about trading up for Joyner,but love how Austin Davis is playing.A steal in Gaines.
My thing was trade back with Atlanta & take what's left.Zach Martin is playing great for Dallas.
I thought Matthew made it to the Falcons & Rams might have got value.I like all the picks though.
G.Rob has a chance to be great .You can't teach size & speed.