Captain hindsight: Robinson or Matthews?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Going back to May 8th, which tackle would you rather take 2nd overall?

• Jake Matthews

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Greg Robinson

Votes: 62 61.4%

• Total voters

Memphis Ram

Legend
Both are going to be very good players. The senior 4 year senior with NFL pedigree just happens to be further along than the freakish redshirt sophomore right now, which should have been expected.

nothing-to-see-here-gif.gif

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
I'm 43 and have never played Madden, ever. I wasn't for the GRob pick. Like a previous poster said I wanted to see a trade down. I was scratching my head at the prospect of drafting a sophomore with huge holes in his game to play a different position than he had played before. If you wanted a guard then trade down and get the best guard. I've never been a fan of getting cute on draft day.

I don't agree with people comparing GRob to Quick. It is well documented that it takes up to 3 years to start seeing results with a WR picked in the first round never the less the second round like Quick. I've never heard of drafting an OL man with the number two and that player not ready to go now.

GRob may pan out, he may not. He may just be average.We are likely to not know for a couple of years. I'm just not a fan of a perennial losing team taking basically a flyer with the number two pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I have seen Matthews in games, a little on the show Hard Knocks, and a lot in college. Nothing says to me he'll become a dominant player..Just solid. G-Rob still looks like he'll become a dominant player in this league even though he doesn't play. Too soon to grade either of them out.

V3

Hall of Fame
Long graded out as one of the top Tackles and I believe was #1 in Pro bowl voting week 15'ish (he went down week 16 @ home vs Tampa, 1st quarter )
I thought that was run blocking, though? Could be wrong.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Re-post this poll about mid-season 2016. Then I'll answer.

Three games into their respective rookie seasons is way too early.

Two seasons ago, and even late last season, I would have said we should have taken Alshon Jeffrey over Brian Quick. Given what we are seeing in year 3, not so sure I'd say that now.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm 43 and have never played Madden, ever. I wasn't for the GRob pick. Like a previous poster said I wanted to see a trade down. I was scratching my head at the prospect of drafting a sophomore with huge holes in his game to play a different position than he had played before. If you wanted a guard then trade down and get the best guard. I've never been a fan of getting cute on draft day.

I don't agree with people comparing GRob to Quick. It is well documented that it takes up to 3 years to start seeing results with a WR picked in the first round never the less the second round like Quick. I've never heard of drafting an OL man with the number two and that player not ready to go now.

GRob may pan out, he may not. He may just be average.We are likely to not know for a couple of years. I'm just not a fan of a perennial losing team taking basically a flyer with the number two pick.

Just as an example of an offensive linemen, look at how long it took Evan Mathis. He was like 27 when he finally came on and became the best OG in the game. I understand Mathis wasn't a 2nd overall, but we knew that Robinson would take some time. It takes offensive linemen time too, especially 21 year old redshirt sophomores who've barely played football, in a system where he rarely pass blocked and we knew he needed technique work. Anybody who thought Robinson could come in and be legendary Day 1 is stupid. Right now he doesn't give us the best chance to win. As for drafting him, his upside was too huge to ignore. The fact is, we have probably the best OL coach in the league coaching a HOF type talent. There was little reason not to draft him when we can afford to let him sit, we can afford to have him be coached up by Boudreau, and we can let that talent flourish. This is the perfect situation for Robinson to reach his potential.

I just don't understand why people are criticizing the Rams but not the Cardinals, who aren't playing their #8 overall Cooper, or the Chiefs who are playing their #1 overall Fisher too early and getting bad results, instead of doing what the Rams are doing. The Rams are going about this the right way.

RamWoodie

Legend
GRob is in the mold of Quick so it should come as no surprise they went this route.

Potential over instant substance.

It's taken 3 years for Quick to get this far, I guess we hope GRob takes less to be a decent nfl G.
That's your call from your perspective...BUT...it's far from being correct! Last I checked there are 13 games left to be played...and it's simply A FACT that no two players pick up things alike.

At the end of the season, this should be revisited.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) Watkins
2) Matthews

Would not have drafted Ribinson in round 1 period. Holes were too obvious then....and still now.
Would you care to elaborate on the "obvious holes" that make a player ALL scouts/gms had pegged as a high first round pick not worthy of being selected in the first round? Surely you must have seen something ALL of them missed. Would really love your insight. But, as usual I doubt you'll respond when someone questions you.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Obviously there is a lot of football to be played yet in the careers of both players. There is no grounds for argument at he moment though with Matthews the clear winner. Though only time will be the ultimate judge.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well I mocked GRob, A.Donald,EJ Gaines to us...so I'm cool with not having J.Matthews here. This coaching staff has a lot of old school mentality, which is good and not so good at times. I still expect GRob to pay off Big time. I think he'll be starting by mid season or around week 12.

RFIP

That's your call from your perspective...BUT...it's far from being correct! Last I checked there are 13 games left to be played...and it's simply A FACT that no two players pick up things alike.

At the end of the season, this should be revisited.

It is laughable to think you draft a guy at #2 overall and KNOW he can't pass block at this level. THAT is mistake @1!

And it is simply insane to think he can't even play guard yet.

SMDH.

Those are the facts my friend.

"Might" he turn out to be good/great? Yep. And let's hope so or we have Jason Smith part two on our hands.

Bottom line, it was a mistake to draft a guy with his holes at #2...would have been for anyone else too.

He's like the dude the Bears drafted a couple years back who's name escapes me now who jumped out the pool and had everyone ooohing and awing....where is he now???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is laughable to think you draft a guy at #2 overall and KNOW he can't pass block at this level. THAT is mistake @1!

And it is simply insane to think he can't even play guard yet.

SMDH.

Those are the facts my friend.

"Might" he turn out to be good/great? Yep. And let's hope so or we have Jason Smith part two on our hands.

Bottom line, it was a mistake to draft a guy with his holes at #2...would have been for anyone else too.

He's like the dude the Bears drafted a couple years back who's name escapes me now who jumped out the pool and had everyone ooohing and awing....where is he now???

I'm glad someone else's post had that effect because that's all I do when I read your posts lately. Your opinion is not a fact. Jason Smith has nothing to do with Robinson and isn't even a comparable player. The guy the Bears drafted was a 3rd round DL. It's not even remotely similar of a situation or a player who had anything in common with Robinson.

You know what's "laughable" the amount of shit and vitriol you've been spewing because the Rams didn't draft Watkins. Get over it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Have any of you naysayers considered the possibility that GRob starting or not starting could depend largely upon the philosophy of the coaching staff?

It's very possible that one team would rather throw a player into the frying pan and develop him that way...while another team prefers to work with him in the classroom and prepare that player in other, less transparent ways to the fans.

GRob is raw in some ways, but he isn't the same raw as Brian Quick was. Quick was a child in terms of competition, and an NFL offense. GRob needs to learn how to use his body in more ways rather than mauling straight ahead. If Greg was dumber than a bag of hammers he wouldn't have been drafted #2 overall all.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't play video games I did not grow up in the now/me generation but I have been a Rams fan for over 40 years and I think a top ten pick has to be playing from day 1 or he was not the best player available.

I wanted Matthews all along with our 1st pick but since Robinson is a Ram I will root for him when/if he ever gets on the field

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't play video games I did not grow up in the now/me generation but I have been a Rams fan for over 40 years and I think a top ten pick has to be playing from day 1 or he was not the best player available.

I wanted Matthews all along with our 1st pick but since Robinson is a Ram I will root for him when/if he ever gets on the field

473635.jpg