Captain hindsight: Robinson or Matthews?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Going back to May 8th, which tackle would you rather take 2nd overall?

• Jake Matthews

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Greg Robinson

Votes: 62 61.4%

• Total voters

RFIP

I'm glad someone else's post had that effect because that's all I do when I read your posts lately. Your opinion is not a fact. Jason Smith has nothing to do with Robinson and isn't even a comparable player. The guy the Bears drafted was a 3rd round DL. It's not even remotely similar of a situation or a player who had anything in common with Robinson.

You know what's "laughable" the amount of crap and vitriol you've been spewing because the Rams didn't draft Watkins. Get over it.

Jason

RFIP

Jason Smirh was a big time thought of OT back in the day. Revisionist history be damned my friend.

And the reference to Gilbert was done in athletic ability, not draft slot.

I'm not banging the Watkins drum, I was asked a question and answered it. If you don't like the answer then ignore it. I promise I have done the same to many of your posts.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jason Smirh was a big time thought of OT back in the day. Revisionist history be damned my friend.

I'm not banging the Watkins drum, I was asked a question and answered it. If you don't like the answer then ignore it. I promise I have done the same to many of your posts.
You didnt answer a question. You threw out your opinions as if they were fact with literally no evidence as to why you felt that way. No explanation whatsoever.

And when you're asked a question about taking Matthews vs Robinson and your response is Watkins....I think its fair to say youre still banging the Watkins drum

RFIP

Once in a generation guy, I would be ecstatic if Robinson gets anywhere close to OP. I do not believe he will but it is still possible.

OP was a ready to roll, dominat NFL tackle.

GRob might get there some day but the two aren't close at the same juncture. Robinson is all about potential and projection.

RFIP

If we picked Mathews 6th and he was starting, while Falcons took GRob 2nd and he was watching, there would be many threads about what a steal we got and how stupid it is to go with the raw guy. I don't like taking a guy at #2 that we hope develops. If he can't play guard, how much work does he need to play LT?

It's the same philosophy as Quick.

It's one thing to be the youngest team in the league. It's another to be that young and your youthful players need 3 years to develope.

THAT is mismanagement of draft picks IMO.

Back in the day when teams stayed together forever (pre free agency) the great teams drafted with the eye for down the line, when you are as bad as the Rams and you have all these top picks you need plug and play players period.

RamWoodie

Legend
It is laughable to think you draft a guy at #2 overall and KNOW he can't pass block at this level. THAT is mistake @1!

And it is simply insane to think he can't even play guard yet.

SMDH.

Those are the facts my friend.

"Might" he turn out to be good/great? Yep. And let's hope so or we have Jason Smith part two on our hands.

Bottom line, it was a mistake to draft a guy with his holes at #2...would have been for anyone else too.

He's like the dude the Bears drafted a couple years back who's name escapes me now who jumped out the pool and had everyone ooohing and awing....where is he now???
Look back in draft history and see how many #2 picks actually started...then laugh at yourself.

RFIP

Look back in draft history and see how many #2 picks actually started...then laugh at yourself.

For the Rams?

Yes that IS laughable.

The pick was a reach, the bought the hype just like they did when they fell in love with Quick.

It may well bare out but if it's doesn't soon then Snisher won't be around to see their tree bare fruit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I say Matthews fits the Falcons very well and he fills their top need. They needed a right OT then after starting OLT vet Baker going down they super needed a OLT.

Greg Robinson fits the Rams very well too. If it were not for ORG Davin Joseph signing & starting, Robinson would be starting @ OLG. If the Rams had selected Jake Matthews, JM would not be starting here either.

If we were to do it all over again I would still have taken Robinson over Matthews just fits better for the Rams at this time.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
1 Houston Texans Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina was starting before injury
2 St. Louis Rams Greg Robinson OT Auburn has he played? certainly not starting
3 Jacksonville Jaguars Blake Bortles QB UCF will be starting
4 Buffalo Bills Sammy Watkins WR Clemson is starting and has had some success 1 game over 100 yrds
5 Oakland Raiders Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo starting and producing
6 Atlanta Falcons Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M has been starting and playing LOT
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Evans WR Texas A&M has been starting 13 catches on 21 targets
8 Cleveland Browns Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State 7 combined tackles in each of the first 2 games
9 Minnesota Vikings Anthony Barr OLB UCLA playing well 17 combined tackles in 3 games
10 Detroit Lions Eric Ebron TE North Carolina only 3 catches but will be seeing an expanded roll this week

So of the top ten picks, the other 9 have already contributed more to their respective teams. Is that Robinson's fault, is he that raw, is it a choice the FO is making?

Whatever it is, he isn't playing.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The only reason I wanted Matthews more in the draft is because I knew he'd be able to plug in and play right away. He just has a life that has led to him having a better understanding at this point.

I think Robinson will get in sooner rather than later. I rewatched the Cowboys game and Joseph can be so inconsistent. One moment you see him making a great pull and filling the whole with a tremendous block. (The two fourth down calls are good examples). Saffold continues to show that when he is healthy he is a tremendous guard - Just has great feet and athleticism.

Rewatching that game against Dallas was so hard to do. . . We really should not have lost that game. So many things to point at, so many.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Hmmm . . . I don't know. I was a trade-down and take Matthews guy, but there is no way to know if Falcons would have done it for the going rate. I've watched Matthews twice now, he does stay in front of his guy, but he gets pushed back a lot . . . then again. I've not seen Rob play any extended time . . . so, I am still willing to believe Rob will start sooner rather than later. Would like to see him at LG and Saffold at RG after bye week . . . but I may have head in clouds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So were Jake Long, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Robert Gallery, Matt Kalil, Tyron Smith, etc. and yet none of them have anything to do with this. Jason Smith, as a player, was not at all similar to Greg Robinson.

The only revisionist history here is from you. Smith started from Day 1. Smith is not a comparable player to Robinson. So what in the hell makes him a relevant name to bring up in this conversation? Because both are OTs that the Rams drafted at #2? That's where the comparison ends.

You're bringing Smith up because he busted and trying to imply that Robinson is on the same trail...because he wasn't the guy you wanted. We are Rams fans. Not Sam Bradford fans. Not Sammy Watkins fans. Not Jake Matthews fans. Whether or not you agree with the pick, you should at least support the pick because he is a Rams player.

The reference to Jarron Gilbert was because of athletic ability? Bullshit. You picked Gilbert because he sucked in the NFL. You could have named a number of freakish athletes like Robert Quinn, Tyron Smith, Taylor Lewan, Lane Johnson, Terron Armstead, Trent Williams, Joe Staley, Ziggy Ansah, JJ Watt, etc. but you chose instead to name an obscure 3rd round pick who didn't do anything in the NFL...to make a clear implication that Robinson is headed for bust status.

Your agenda is blatantly transparent here.

If you don't like the answer then ignore it. I promise I have done the same to many of your posts.

Don't worry. If you continue to act like Old Larry, you'll be on my ignore list very soon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmm . . . I don't know. I was a trade-down and take Matthews guy, but there is no way to know if Falcons would have done it for the going rate. I've watched Matthews twice now, he does stay in front of his guy, but he gets pushed back a lot . . . then again. I've not seen Rob play any extended time . . . so, I am still willing to believe Rob will start sooner rather than later. Would like to see him at LG and Saffold at RG after bye week . . . but I may have head in clouds.

I'd love to see him too. His athleticism and power would do wonders for this team although our OL was a lot more solid and consistent against Dallas. However, if he's not mentally ready, can't rush him. Don't need a guy making mental mistakes out there hurting the team...especially if it might hurt his confidence and hinder his development.

RFIP

So Jason Smith isn't comoarable WHY?? Because he busted?

I'm not saying GRob WILL bust, what I'm saying is he had too many holes in his game for the RAMS to risk the #2 pick on!

Poor pass pro. Played in gUnix offense. One year wonder.

No matter how it turns out he was a bad pick FOR THE RAMS!

So were Jake Long, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Robert Gallery, Matt Kalil, Tyron Smith, etc. and yet none of them have anything to do with this. Jason Smith, as a player, was not at all similar to Greg Robinson.

The only revisionist history here is from you. Smith started from Day 1. Smith is not a comparable player to Robinson. So what in the hell makes him a relevant name to bring up in this conversation? Because both are OTs that the Rams drafted at #2? That's where the comparison ends.

You're bringing Smith up because he busted and trying to imply that Robinson is on the same trail...because he wasn't the guy you wanted. We are Rams fans. Not Sam Bradford fans. Not Sammy Watkins fans. Not Jake Matthews fans. Whether or not you agree with the pick, you should at least support the pick because he is a Rams player.

The reference to Jarron Gilbert was because of athletic ability? bullcrap. You picked Gilbert because he sucked in the NFL. You could have named a number of freakish athletes like Robert Quinn, Tyron Smith, Taylor Lewan, Lane Johnson, Terron Armstead, Trent Williams, Joe Staley, Ziggy Ansah, JJ Watt, etc. but you chose instead to name an obscure 3rd round pick who didn't do anything in the NFL...to make a clear implication that Robinson is headed for bust status.

Your agenda is blatantly transparent here.

Don't worry. If you continue to act like Old Larry, you'll be on my ignore list very soon.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It is laughable to think you draft a guy at #2 overall and KNOW he can't pass block at this level. THAT is mistake @1!

And it is simply insane to think he can't even play guard yet.

SMDH.

Those are the facts my friend.

"Might" he turn out to be good/great? Yep. And let's hope so or we have Jason Smith part two on our hands.

Bottom line, it was a mistake to draft a guy with his holes at #2...would have been for anyone else too.

He's like the dude the Bears drafted a couple years back who's name escapes me now who jumped out the pool and had everyone ooohing and awing....where is he now???

You've offered no fact. Just opinion. And opinions that reflect some ignorance of the situation.

Who says Robinson can't pass protect? Who says Robinson can't play guard yet? My guess is that while he hasn't mastered both yet (few, if any, rookies master anything), this isn't a situation where the kid is sitting behind Adam Goldberg and Alex Barron. Both Jake Long and Davin Joseph are accomplished NFL veterans who, while they may not be what they once were, are still light years ahead of the former and, at this point, apparently are considered better options than Robinson. Subtract one and he's starting. Would that have made him a better selection and player then???? Hell, the same thing would have happened if Clowney were still on the board and they selected him, except Robinson happens to play a position that doesn't typically rotate.

BTW, the guy that jump out of the pool was never even a dominate college football player. And Jason Smith is not even in this kid's league. He was just a kid who took the league by storm via his interviews and doesn't even come close to the freakish proportions/upside of Robinson. For goodness sakes, I remember posting an article that pointed out how the kid had to put on 8-10 pounds just to crack the 300 lbs mark pre-combine.

Bottom line, is you seem to believe that the #2 pick in the NFL draft should have more of an immediate impact and apparently still have a woodie for Sammy Watkins. Even though teams selecting the BPA could limit such immediate impacts at times, why not just say that and avoid the rest of the foolishness?

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Well let's hope that all this GROB talk is nothing more than a footnote when all is said and done,there's no denying the talent and potential that he has,but it is frustrating to see that talent on the bench instead of the playing field.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
It's funny Matthews while aimed to be the Falcons left tackle in time is there now due to IR of Sam Baker. Their RT-Holmes and Carimi cannot hold LT down...so yes praise Matthews is you want. It is 3 freakin games in. If we didn't have a healthy Jake Long then GRob MAY be thrusted in, where who knows. GRob @ #2 not currently in the oline is not reflective of our current record. He's not making or breaking us. I do have a feeling he'll be starting before season's end for the right reason.

Guns N Roses- Patience fellas...patience.

jjab360

Legend
So no matter how it turns out it was a bad pick? Really? Really??? So if Robinson turns out to be the greatest lineman of all time it was still a bad pick??

What a ridiculous statement...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Jason Smith isn't comoarable WHY?? Because he busted?

Why? He wasn't as athletic as Robinson is, 20-25 pounds lighter, not nearly as strong, came from a completely different type of offense, had far shorter arms, and Jason Smith was drafted after spending FIVE years in college. Not to mention there were questions about Smith's ability as a run blocker, ability to add weight to his frame, and lack of natural strength coming out.

He was pretty much the anti-Greg Robinson...except he was a project tackle that the Rams selected.

Case and point. Thank you for proving exactly what I said.

Last edited: