Big Fish abruptly ended press conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope he's frustrated or desperate enough to hire someone with a serious offensive coaching pedigree and giving them near full autonomy of the offense. Silent Stan was here when Dickie V was forced to relinquish some of his power and obtain a true offensive mind to run the O.
We tried that, nobody bit. We tried so many who are looking pretty dang good right now and none of them wanted to touch this team with a ten foot pole. That doesn't make me feel much promise in the future.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Barron's been doing okay in his place. But Ogletree is definitely better.

Barron is a good player and interesting piece to move around.

Tree is a little more stout and seems to tackle a yard or two shorter than Barron. I think it's as much a weight thing as any.

jap

Legend
We tried that, nobody bit. We tried so many who are looking pretty dang good right now and none of them wanted to touch this team with a ten foot pole. That doesn't make me feel much promise in the future.

You sound like Jrry. I am sure Fish did not offer those candidates near full autonomy to run the O like I am suggesting.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You sound like Jrry. I am sure Fish did not offer those candidates near full autonomy to run the O like I am suggesting.
Because, strangely enough jrry can be right sometimes too. Shocking I know. :LOL:

But seriously, even that is discouraging, if you knew a guy was known for something, but suddenly said but oh I'm not going to do that anymore would you be rushing to believe him, or would you go for a known quantity? Fisher has already let it be known he's dipping his hands in the cookie jar and it'd be hard to trust him unless it was a mandate by Kroenke himself in order to keep his job.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I would have to say that the effort, especially in blocking on the edge and in tackling, was highly suspect today. That said I can see how the players would be giving up on this stone age offense that can't score enough to give one of the better defenses in the league a chance to win a game.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see this as a big deal.
The thing that is lame to me is reporters questioning players effort. The players play. I don't know if I have seen a team of players on any team just mail it in....at any level. Outside of Randy Moss it is hard to come up with individual players that have mailed it at least in a way that is obvious. The players are pros. They want to win, they have spent their lives working toward this and I imagine most don't take it lightly. Also, they have money on the line. Do you think any of these guys are going to jeopardize pay current and future by just mailing it in.
Fisher leaving the PC early may not be the height of professionalism but a reporter questioning players heart is insulting.

jap

Legend
Because, strangely enough jrry can be right sometimes too. Shocking I know. :LOL:

But seriously, even that is discouraging, if you knew a guy was known for something, but suddenly said but oh I'm not going to do that anymore would you be rushing to believe him, or would you go for a known quantity? Fisher has already let it be known he's dipping his hands in the cookie jar and it'd be hard to trust him unless it was a mandate by Kroenke himself in order to keep his job.

It may well come to that. As I stated earlier, Silent Stan was here with the Horns when Shaw stripped Dickie V of some of his authority and forced him to get a bright offensive guy to be our OC.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It may well come to that. As I stated earlier, Silent Stan was here with the Horns when Shaw stripped Dickie V of some of his authority and forced him to get a bright offensive guy to be our OC.
Silent Stan was also present for watching his teams sit in the quagmire of mediocrity, like the Avs and the Arsenal. So I don't know if that'll be something he'll be considering. Shaw wasn't scared to get hands on, Kroenke hates it.

jap

Legend
Silent Stan was also present for watching his teams sit in the quagmire of mediocrity, like the Avs and the Arsenal. So I don't know if that'll be something he'll be considering. Shaw wasn't scared to get hands on, Kroenke hates it.

Stan tends to sit on the side; he prefers to let his football people run things. However, when things start to get ugly, I wouldn't put it past him to intervene.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Memories of the fireMartz.com are flashing before my eyes. If Jeff beats this I'll be amazed as I see the lions as the only team we MIGHT have a chance at beating , and I'd bet on the lions the way they are playing the last two weeks beating the Lambeau streak and winning on Thanksgiving like a REAL team. The Bucs will be fired up for a Wildcard spot and there is a ton of bad football that has been played this year. Yet many of those stinker teams are now starting to play like real NFL teams as we seem to even be dropping farther with just a few gimmick plays and no QB. The "D" is worn out by the 2nd half.

Our OL was known it would be a big test this year and now all the OL injuries like usual. I think we have ONE OL backup left. Change is Definately in the air. In the pre-season thread guessing the season record I was the only only one on the 5-11 spot. (Hated It Too) . Not bragging ,so this is no surprise. I honestly don't think we have what it takes under our OC to win another game this season. (looking closely at who and where we are playing). We need Quinn healthy and Ogletree back along with one good OL game. ? at QB. ? at WR.

Sadly I see us getting the second pick of the top two QB's along with a top WR and then a very high DE with our top 3 picks. So my Crystal Ball says (QB)Goff, (WR) Doctson/Boyd , (DE)Ogbona . GO RAMS!!!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Haven't seen any lack of effort as of yet, but I sure as hell have seen a lack of results. Refreshing, at this point, to see Fisher finally getting pissed about having the sand kicked in his face. The other team, the officials, the whole fucking league has been doing it for quite some time.....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Fisher said there isn't a problem with effort. I would agree. I believe they're working hard and trying hard. Its not a matter of effort. Its a matter of ability. This is the NFL. Heart and desire ain't enough. You gotta have both of those along with ability. I hate it when coaches lose and praise how hard their team fought. If you wanna give awards for doing your best, go back to the pee wee leagues. Those kids play their hearts out. They deserve praise for trying even when they lose. In the NFL you get replaced.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What exactly have I been given to applaud? 4 years later, we're still getting blown out and everything is still piling up and up. What should I be applauding Fisher for?
And what does that have to do with the subject at hand? As I said, how the team plays is a valid thing to discuss. Putting it squarely at his feet is a valid thing to discuss. Saying he is complacent because he cut a presser short isn't.

So it is only because he hasn't given you something to applaud that this is an issue? If we were winning and had a bad game, would that somehow excuse it? Many coaches have walked out on interviews or refused to answer questions. They are not considered bad coaches for it. Several have thrown a shit fit before doing so. That's better?

You seem to think I am defending the product on the field or saying Fish is not responsible for it. I am not. I'm simply saying BFD about his walking out of the presser. It's being made more of an issue than it is. The issue is how we are playing - not whether he would end an interview because he is pissed off at how his team played and possibly the inane questions being asked.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
He was pissed at the question. He wasn't any more or less pissed about the results than in previous pressers.
When someone has the gaul to question HIS team's effort, then HE has every right to get pissed about it.

When his O looks like this, and his team gets blown out...and has 3 straight losses, then every coach should expect questions on effort. Part of the job. When you loss multiple games in a row and things aren't clicking (and they aren't for us) then every coach knows questions are coming on effort, coaching, talent, focus, game planning ect. The media would actually not be doing their job if they didn't ask. I get it he doesn't want to loss his locker room so he has to protect his guys. But lets be honest, we have all wondered about the effort of some of the players (at least on O). There have been many commenting on Cook, JR, and a few others.

No one should be acting like how this team is doing is fine or normal, not JF and not the media...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't have a problem with Fisher cutting it short. I mean, what more can he add to what we've been seeing on the field? At this point saying they're gonna go back and fix it is getting old. Obviously, it ain't getting fixed. And I don't see it getting fixed this season.

Now I don't know if the league has a problem with it. But thats between him and them. I could care less.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When his O looks like this, and his team gets blown out...and has 3 straight losses, then every coach should expect questions on effort. Part of the job. When you loss multiple games in a row and things aren't clicking (and they aren't for us) then every coach knows questions are coming on effort,
I don't agree with that, but whatever.
I've really said all I can say on this matter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Walking out is inexcusable. I'd 100% he'd rather blow his gasket then walk out because he the media isn't acting the way he wants it. If you can't handle it then maybe do your job and it won't be a problem. It's not piling on to expect a man to at least be able to own up to this blow out, Spags and Linehan could get through em just fine, no excuse for a guy who's been coaching 21 years.

I'd rather not have a coach take after Spags or Linehan.