Big Fish abruptly ended press conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's about time he had an emotional response. Seeing him stand up there calm and relaxed every week after his team just got their butts kicked was bugging the hell out of me.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Couple things here...

First, I agree with him that it's not an effort issue. The fact that the local press is all over the effort shows they don't know wtf they're doing. The guys in there are playing hard.

Second, I don't blame him for walkin out. It happens. But what is interesting here is that it's very much unlike Fish to lose the room like that even when his back is against the wall.

What we can take from this is that Fish is more pi$$ed off than he's ever been with this team. And he should be. There is absolutely no reason this offense should be this bad. It's not just the QB. It's the whole pyramid from the bottom up and he has to do something about it. Cignetti is his hire. The guy is in over his head. Make the move Jeff, you would do it if Cigs was your DC.

I like your take here, Merlin.

This O has been a slow motion train wreck and Fisher knows that everyone knows the name of the engineer.

Gotta be frustrating to have your shortcomings exposed so publicly. I can't imagine.

But the $7 million would definitely help ease my pain. Lol.

Seriously, the only solution is to blow up the O staff. Firing Fisher would be even better.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Sometimes you just don't have the answers. Fisher and Snead made decisions in the draft and early in the year that are not working out, there is nothing that they can do about it now but ride out the year and see if they still have a job at the end.
I will point out that other teams that started slow have coached up their players and are now competing. That is what worries me the most about our staff, that their players seem to regress over the year instead of improving.
Hard to argue with this, sadly.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please. Yeah - Fisher has been complacent. Are you hearing yourself? No coach makes it this far being complacent. Just because he didn't say the things you wanted to hear or act like a pissed off jackass doesn't mean he is complacent. Can you find a single player or fellow coach that would echo your assertions? Of course not. It is really a ridiculous thought that any NFL coach is complacent about the performance of their team. Some go the Rex Ryan route and some go Bill Walsh route. Coaching styles are different but NO coach makes it this far by being complacent.
So now it comes down to arguing semantics and choice of word? The facts are the guy comes out and gives the same speech loss after loss after loss and when we've had our worst 3 game stretch since he took over and now he's pissed?

Like Irish said, whether he likes it or not, part of the reason he gets paychecks is to take the podium and answer questions about what went on on the field, today he failed that and that didn't impress me. Look at most of the walkouts from recent memory, Randy Edsall, Mike McCoy, Mike Shanahan. All dysfunctional and bad teams and coaches who are either out or on their way out, I'm tired of running like a dysfunctional team, I've dealt with Spags just sitting around looking lost, and Linehan having verbal sparring matches while chasing our best from a bygone, better time out of town and now this.

What exactly have I been given to applaud? 4 years later, we're still getting blown out and everything is still piling up and up. What should I be applauding Fisher for? I'm not being obtuse, what are all you guys seeing, because all I'm seeing is another losing product to stack on top of the last ten years and I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy who's experienced what I've been experiencing since I started rooting for the team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
and when we've had our worst 3 game stretch since he took over and now he's pissed?
He was pissed at the question. He wasn't any more or less pissed about the results than in previous pressers.
When someone has the gaul to question HIS team's effort, then HE has every right to get pissed about it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, I will give Fisher that he showed emotion...He could go the Bill Belichick route..."Coaches gotta coach better, players gotta play better." Next question, second verse same as the first.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He was pissed at the question. He wasn't any more or less pissed about the results than in previous pressers.
When someone has the gaul to question HIS team's effort, then HE has every right to get pissed about it.
When you're still getting blown out almost as much when you took over from the last guy who wasn't all that great then the question of effort has to come up. Where else does it go? Even outside of injuries, our remaining starters aren't even executing properly, and haven't consistently since he's brought most of them in.

What other conclusion do you make? Voodoo? Witchcraft? That's a genuine question, where do we go to next X?

The questions aren't going to be easy when were four years in and we're still where we were year 1 except with some different, more talented faces and nobody should expect, nor want them to be.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
What offensive coordinator in their right mind would hitch their wagon to this train wreck?

Fisher is what he is.

I hope Snead gets to stay when Fisher is finally cut loose. Fisher as a defensive coordinator would be genius. Head coach....not so much.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Every question directed at Fisher 4 years in is a fair question. I'm sorry but nobody on this website can get away with failures in their job for 4 years and not face some uncomfortable questions. Honestly, I'm thru with Fisher as a coach based on his team. He can act however he wants in a press conference, won't make a difference to me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's time for our buddy Mike Florio to chime in...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...says-critics-of-teams-effort-can-kiss-my-ass/

Jeff Fisher says critics of team’s effort can “kiss my ass”
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2015

Rams coach Jeff Fisher made an early exit from his post-game press conference following Sunday’s 31-7 loss to the Bengals. Before he left, Fisher said something that will generate plenty of attention.

When discussing a four-game losing streak that has seen the team plunge from 4-3 to 4-7, Fisher said, “Anyone who implies that it’s an effort issue and they can kiss my ass, OK? Because there’s no effort problems.”

Whatever the actual problems, there are plenty for the Rams. They looked to be poised to make a run at the NFC West crown after beating the Seahawks and Cardinals. But after convincing back-to-back wins over the 49ers and Browns at home, the Rams have fallen apart.

The struggles have sparked speculation in some league circles as to whether Fisher will survive this season.
---------
First I’ve heard of anyone questioning effort. Most things I’ve heard question how Fisher is still a coach in the NFL.
--------
Sounds like someone that knows the writing is on the wall. The Rams just have an inept offense and Gurley will just be another Steven Jackson if they don’t get it together. I mean not trying to sound like a tool, but the game wasn’t even competitive today, they got outplayed by the Bengals in every aspect of the game.
-------
Rams are still playing hard, but not well. I can see an effort issue coming by the end of the year, though. I don’t know how Fish keeps his players buying in to a program that looks worse by the week.

It’s a talent, technique, coaching, fundamentals, attrition issue.
--------
I like Fisher, the Ram’s past coaches were Steve Spagnuolo and Scott Linehan. Enough said.
-------
Well, if they are playing hard and still getting outclassed, it is either talent or coaching. I think they have a lot of talent on that team.
-------
In fairness to Jeff Fisher, it’s hard to win games when your QB throws 3 INTs. And given the state the Rams were in before Fisher took over, they’re a much more competitive team than they were under the Linehan, Haslett, and Spagnuolo days. I think a new offensive coordinator is what the team needs. Not a new coach.

But if that doesn’t work, then I’ll be ready to blame Fisher.
--------
Rams are stocked on defense, and with Gurly should be pounding it and having Foles play off the play-action.

Never been a big Fisher fan, never saw the big deal. I’ve been expecting STL to break out the last two years and they just fall flat.
-------
Once coaches start firing back at the media and fans, it is all over.
Dead coach walking.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, I'm actually glad he did this. He's defending his players. Reporters questioned their effort and he drew the line and said there is no lack of effort from the players.

That said there's a lack of ability in the coaching though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When you're still getting blown out almost as much when you took over from the last guy who wasn't all that great then the question of effort has to come up. Where else does it go? Even outside of injuries, our remaining starters aren't even executing properly, and haven't consistently since he's brought most of them in.
It's not a lack of effort.
I don't draw the conclusion that there's a lack of effort simply because the last guy's team lost too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ITT a lot of people are missing the point here. Fisher was responding to people questioning the players effort not his.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
good! I'm glad he actually did ANYTHING that surprised someone. is it anger is it stress is it fear frustration? good! about goddamn time he showed some ounce of human emotion blood bath after bloodbath. now the big question is does anything change this year or next. if there is a next from him. does this force himself outside the box thinking? eh screw it probably not just more of the same but we'll see

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's not a lack of effort.
I don't draw the conclusion that there's a lack of effort simply because the last guy's team lost too.
Then what is? Why is this team incapable of turning the corner? Lack of talent? Or inability of coaching? Or some sort of fierce hexing that would make the Wicked Witch of the West blush? Everyone's quick to run and say what it isn't, but when it comes to what it is then there's nothing left for it to be? For me, at some point it comes down to, maybe it is one of those answers and we just don't want to admit it?

There's something keeping this team back, but it's too mean or insulting to try to find out what? Sometimes the road to answers isn't nice, and Fisher hasn't earned the right to act like he's capable of righting the ship, or has ever since he got the keys to the Rams jalopy. Facts are he's earned every hard question he's received and is going to receive, in fact I feel like he's getting it light compared to how he could be getting destroyed in a market like New York or Philty.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then what is? Why is this team incapable of turning the corner? Lack of talent? Or inability of coaching? Or some sort of fierce hexing that would make the Wicked Witch of the West blush? Everyone's quick to run and say what it isn't, but when it comes to what it is then there's nothing left for it to be? For me, at some point it comes down to, maybe it is one of those answers and we just don't want to admit it?

There's something keeping this team back, but it's too mean or insulting to try to find out what? Sometimes the road to answers isn't nice, and Fisher hasn't earned the right to act like he's capable of righting the ship, or has ever since he got the keys to the Rams jalopy. Facts are he's earned every hard question he's received and is going to receive, in fact I feel like he's getting it light compared to how he could be getting destroyed in a market like New York or Philty.
I really don't care about all that. I just know there's not a lack of effort.
It's execution problems due to a fucked up O-line and bad QB play.
We're also sorely missing Trumaine Johnson and Robert Quinn.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If there's anything a fan can see with their own eyes when watching a team, it's the effort of the players or lack thereof. Does anyone really see a lack of effort out there? Sorry but i think that's a ridiculously off-base determination.

jap

Legend
I hope he's frustrated or desperate enough to hire someone with a serious offensive coaching pedigree and giving them near full autonomy of the offense. Silent Stan was here when Dickie V was forced to relinquish some of his power and obtain a true offensive mind to run the O.