Aaron Donald not present at OTA's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Obviously im not talking about right now, but if todd gurley gets into the pro bowl this year, what's to stop him from going "i want to get paid like aarond donald" ok so now we have to pay todd gurley and thats 1 less free agent we can grab. Then goff plays well next 2 years and says "I want a raise" another free agent we cant pay. Death by a thousand cuts.
Gurley is a RB, a very good one(at times) but still just a rb, which are the easiest piece to find in a draft, a top DT like AD are not nearly as common. And if Goff lights it up and becomes a top 5 QB then yes pay him, because finding a star QB is the hardest thing to do in this league.

thomonkey

UDFA
Name
thomonkey
AD doesnt play "well", he is the best at what he does. And that Bellicheck just gave an above average CB in Gilmore a huge contract making him a top 5 paid cb, or something close to that.

Please link me to the time Bellicheck gave a first round pick a new contract after their third year instead of them playing on their original contract. I'll be waiting. :sleepz:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Please link me to the time Bellicheck gave a first round pick a new contract after their third year instead of them playing on their original contract. I'll be waiting. :sleepz:
Snead said they were close, so this has been a mutual contract between AD and the Rams brass. Not AD demanding a new contract out of the blue. As to Belicheck doing this no I dont know if he ever has, probably not. But you act like Belicheck can do no wrong, and the contract he gave to Gilmore isnt very Belichecky. It was dumb IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Might be easier if one can recall the Patriots having a 1st round pick who was a 3 time All-Pro in his first 3 seasons and worthy of such a new deal.

thomonkey

UDFA
Name
thomonkey
Snead said they were close, so this has been a mutual contract between AD and the Rams brass. Not AD demanding a new contract out of the blue. As to Belicheck doing this no I dont know if he ever has, probably not. But you act like Belicheck can do no wrong, and the contract he gave to Gilmore isnt very Belichecky. It was dumb IMO.

If people and rams feel that giving AD a new contract is worth it, I respect that. But to ignore the fact that AD is hurting the team by pulling this shit is absurd.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Aaron Donald not at start of Rams OTAs; sides talking contract

• 0ap3000000512824.jpg
  • By Steve Wyche
  • NFL Media reporter
  • Published: May 22, 2017 at 06:01 p.m.
  • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Rams general manager Les Snead, in addressing All-Pro Defensive tackle Aaron Donald's absence from the first day of organized team activities, said contract negotiations between Donald and the team are in a "serious" stage. Those talks have been going on for awhile and Snead said he hopes a deal gets done soon.

Donald's absence indicates that he might not want to take the chance of getting injured during field drills before consummating a deal that likely would make him one of the highest paid defensive linemen, if not highest paid defenders, in the NFL.

"Aaron's been really good for us and as I said at the combine, he deserves a raise," Snead said.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When was the last time he actually picked in the first round. When was the last time he drafted a guy who came into the league as one of the best players? You really need to calm down about this. It's been an announced goal of the Rams this off season, which we're still in, to resign him now. He's skipping voluntary work outs which happens for many different reasons for many different teams. Take a deep breath and relax it will all be ok.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If people and rams feel that giving AD a new contract is worth it, I respect that. But to ignore the fact that AD is hurting the team by pulling this crap is absurd.
We have different opinions, its all good. Look at the above post i just posted, maybe he is holding out on the last stages of negotiations in case of injury, hell I would probably. Like I said before, we dont know all the circumstances yet. Yes it doesn't look great, but a wait and see approach is usually best.

thomonkey

UDFA
Name
thomonkey
Might be easier if one can recall the Patriots having a 1st round pick who was a 3 time All-Pro and worthy of such a new deal.

You ever hear of this guy Tom Brady? He won a super bowl his second year in the league and was named Super Bowl MVP. Some say he's the GOAT. Guess what, he played out his rookie contract. He's currently the #13 top paid QB in the league. Ya, that's what a true leader and team player does. I am over reacting a bit ;) but still it's a dick move. I find it annoying that people aren't acknowledging that its a dick move. go ahead and say you're cool with it, but to see how Tom Brady the GOAT treats his team during contract negotiations and to then look at what AD is doing and say "it's no big deal. dude is not being a dick" grinds my gears.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
So when todd gurley gets into the pro bowl and holds out his 4th year we're just gonna be cool with it? And when Jared Goff does the same we're gonna be cool with it? Then everett? I mean, this is just an icehole prima dona move that is terrible for a franchise. TBH, if he doesn't want to play out his rookie contract here I would just trade him. I bet we could get a great player and a 1st round pick.

You're assuming a lot. For all we know, the final details of a new contract are being ironed out, and Donald was advised by his agent not to participate in a voluntary workout-- risking injury-- before the I's are crossed and the T's are dotted.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
You ever hear of this guy Tom Brady? He won a super bowl his second year in the league and was named Super Bowl MVP. Some say he's the GOAT. Guess what, he played out his rookie contract. He's currently the #13 top paid QB in the league. Ya, that's what a true leader and team player does. I am over reacting a bit ;) but still it's a dick move. I find it annoying that people aren't acknowledging that its a dick move. go ahead and say you're cool with it, but to see how Tom Brady the GOAT treats his team during contract negotiations and to then look at what AD is doing and say, it's no big deal grinds my gears.

It's not a dick move though. It's actually smart and a common occurrence in contract negotiations. I wouldn't risk injury in a voluntary OTA if I was on the verge on signing a huge deal either.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So when todd gurley gets into the pro bowl and holds out his 4th year we're just gonna be cool with it? And when Jared Goff does the same we're gonna be cool with it? Then everett? I mean, this is just an icehole prima dona move that is terrible for a franchise. TBH, if he doesn't want to play out his rookie contract here I would just trade him. I bet we could get a great player and a 1st round pick.

And that's why you're not managing an NFL team right now.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
On the verge of signing a contact that could be the biggest one you ever sign. There are voluntary workouts going on at just the time these negotiations start to really heat up.

Your agent says 'don't go risk injury before we get this deal done'

Watch by tomorrow morning or later this week Donald is signed to a contract extension and all of us will be jumping for joy! Way smarter than letting him play out his deal and then just leave for BIG money

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
it's also the reason the rams have had losing seasons for the last 10 years and the patriots are contending for a championship every year.

No it's not the reason at all but hey you seem to really like the Cheatriots. Maybe you should switch sides.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Officially off the aaron donald hype train. What a selfish douche bag. I mean...even cam newton the prima dona played out his rookie contract, but donald, a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN is too good to do that? he's a piece of crap. salary cap management is a huge part of winning as an nfl team and paying people before their rookie contracts expire is a great way to waste money. freak aaron donald.

giphy.gif

thomonkey

UDFA
Name
thomonkey
No it's not the reason at all but hey you seem to really like the Cheatriots. Maybe you should switch sides.

lets keep throwing away money (gotta love that tavon contract ;) )while the "cheatriots" win with a bunch of roleplayers. fuck any fans that think aaron donald isn't pulling a dick move.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it's also the reason the rams have had losing seasons for the last 10 years and the patriots are contending for a championship every year.

No offense, but you (nor the rest of us) have all the details of what's going on and you're going to have some sore legs tomorrow from jumping to all these conclusions.

What I'm hearing is that Donald is sitting out the opening VOLUNTARY OTA's to avoid injury before the deal gets done. This could be something that has been agreed upon by both sides and it's highly likely that Donald is following the business advice of his agent.

You just need to chill out and see how this plays out before going around saying "Fuck Aaron Donald!" The guy has been an absolute role model of professionalism and work ethic for the Rams so how about you give him the benefit of the doubt.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think I've ever used the ignore function but wow the drama from this topic has me looking it up.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
lets keep throwing away money (gotta love that tavon contract ;) )while the "cheatriots" win with a bunch of roleplayers. freak any fans that think aaron donald isn't pulling a dick move.

You have no clue what you're talking about in referrence to the AD contract situation. You're crying about a player missing one day of a VOLUNTARY OTA. Get a grip.