Aaron Donald not present at OTA's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yeah, this is a good thing, fellas. The negotiations thing, I mean.

Best for all parties that it gets done sooner rather than later.

Then let AD focus on being the best that he can be with no contract distractions year after year.

Besides, we all know that his presence at early voluntary (emphasis voluntary) OTA's is not required. Hell, it will give some DL candidates a few more needed snaps. Lol.

No worries.

Agreed, would rather ink him now then next year. That price tag is not gonna get any lower

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
There are only 30 something teams with 50 odd men on each squad - that add up to an extremely small number of guys that get the so-called "privilege" of playing in the NFL

And then an even smaller percentage that get paid the way Aaron Donald is gonna get paid. I mean for anyone to get miffed about how much these guys get paid is silly - they actually aren't paid enough compared to how much money they collectively generate for owners

yeah it sucks for me I wasn't born with extremely rare athletic skill and stamina to play the game professionally and make 40 million -- but man God bless those who are

What AD gets paid and is gonna get paid should have zero to do with how we as fans view him as a player and person

Memphis Ram

Legend
Conversely, how many people can tell their boss they aren't coming to work until they get paid more justly?
That said, its OTA and to me a non starter.
I'm a believer in karma and stuff and honestly can understand why he wouldn't want to be negotiating a contract while playing football. Even without pads, injury can happen. Why tempt fate?

Not sure. But, isn't that what people who go out on strike are doing?

Besides, the NFL teams who cut players under contract don't seem to be experiencing much in the way of karma, best I can tell.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure. But, isn't that what people who go out on strike are doing?
Not really. 1 person doesn't necessitate a strike, its usually a large number of workers. And in a true union, (which the NFL is not one) salaries are mostly based on position and tenure, and at a set amount. Not much room for negotiation.
Again, for the majority of folks, not showing up to work unless rate of pay is increased isn't going to go well

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not really. 1 person doesn't necessitate a strike, its usually a large number of workers. And in a true union, (which the NFL is not one) salaries are mostly based on position and tenure, and at a set amount. Not much room for negotiation.
Again, for the majority of folks, not showing up to work unless rate of pay is increased isn't going to go well

It wouldn't go well for him either if he were merely a fringe or solid player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A new contract here before the end of this 2017 season in making AD the highest paid defensive player in the NFL is sure to come with some serious power draining cuts & release events & have a very heavy impact on numerous important Rams being able to remain here in LA after the 2017 seasons....Do you really think Rams like Robert Quinn, Rodger Saffold, Tavon Austin, Mark Barron, UFA Alec Ogletree, UFA Trumaine Johnson, UFA Conner Barwin, UFA Mo Alexander, UFA Lamarcus Johnson & UFA Dom Easley will be here very long?

This defense will have a reckoning where most of all these releases & non UFA signs will come from.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A new contract here before the end of this 2017 season in making AD the highest paid defensive player in the NFL is sure to come with some serious power draining cuts & release events & have a very heavy impact on numerous important Rams being able to remain here in LA after the 2017 seasons....Do you really think Rams like Robert Quinn, Rodger Saffold, Tavon Austin, Mark Barron, UFA Alec Ogletree, UFA Trumaine Johnson, UFA Conner Barwin, UFA Mo Alexander, UFA Lamarcus Johnson & UFA Dom Easley will be here very long?

This defense will have a reckoning where most of all these releases & non UFA signs will come from.

Yeah, all I can say is Saffold and Quinn better stay healthy. Tavon better put some emphasis on route running and catching the effin ball. IMO all three will be gone after next season, even though I hope one or more of them play well and stick around. Tru will either sign now or be gone after next season as well.

Ogletree and Alexander are long term pieces. The rest are plug and play.