A few players that I doubt make the 53...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
with the reps Quick getting hes a lock to. And im not saying it because i want him to

You may be right. Hopefully not though. I think they were doing what they could to give him a chance to shine, but he is the same old Quick and I just don't see how they can keep him around when he adds nothing to special teams. Even Thomas, who looks like Quick Jr. with those drops, has at least put up some good work as a gunner, where it seems he's always there when the ball is caught. McRoberts adds punt returns. Spruce adds punt returns.

Quick's a slam dunk of a cut to my eye, but we'll have to wait and see. My guess is he's gone this week in the first round of cuts.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree(y)

The thing here is Kush/Folkerts/Arkin & even Rhaney all fall into the WWC cadre just the plain awful truth not a dime much worth between them.....we all said it posted it & thought it for a good while now. We may have seen a flash of a secret un revealed OC reserve plan, when we read heard where our own members here were in attendance @ TC.. these observers witnessed our three QB's being very interested & having their hands in the rear & between the legs :huh: of a bent over OL who wears the #69????:whistle::thinking:.

On Battle.....so much there that's UNknown here. One thing we do know is he has the look of being 100% pure LEFT OT material even though they say they have worked him hard mostly @ right OT. There was a good amount of film on him as a OLT in college enough to have Snead going all out for him. So with the event last night with #63 it clearly opens a big spot for Battle to have a real chance to stick baring that knee situation.

The fact is Saffold can start & play very well at any of the four OL posts at any given time. where-ever the weak link is in the OL for that moment in time ....Saffold can fix it. He will start somewhere if he is healthy. Since 2013 Saffold has made the rounds during the 17 week seasons usually he plays in 3 to 4 of the five OL posts its an annual event why would it change in 2016?
So you think they are prepping Wichmamn as a C?
Interesting. They like their versatility. Best case having a guy who can provide quality depth at more than one spot just frees things up.
Reynolds LG, RG, RT.
Wichmann LG, C, RG
Battle both T spots.
Me likey.
Of course a lot to learn at C.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
He only had 1 catch for 14 Yds./ he was Targeted 4 Times/ I believe he "Dropped the other 3 Targets!

The defender was draped all over him on the 1st and last attempt. In fact, on the last one, they had him run an "out" pattern against a defender who was already playing him on his outside shoulder. In both cases, the defender forced the incompletion ; they were not flat out drops. Thomas is also playing well on special teams. If Thomas was on the bubble, he would be getting reps with the 1's.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The defender was draped all over him on the 1st and last attempt. In fact, on the last one, they had him run an "out" pattern against a defender who was already playing him on his outside shoulder. In both cases, the defender forced the incompletion ; they were not flat out drops. Thomas is also playing well on special teams. If Thomas was on the bubble, he would be getting reps with the 1's.
Sorry, meant to say "he would NOT be getting rep's with 1's if he was on the bubble."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting. They like their versatility. Best case having a guy who can provide quality depth at more than one spot just frees things up.
Reynolds LG, RG, RT.
Wichmann LG, C, RG
Battle both T spots.
Me likey.

I have zero inside information on this fearsomefour. I spend way too much of what time I have left in the studying this Ram team. By the nature of my 35 year vocation I take the information available & see how its fits with the on goings. So I make no claims here...

I know Boudreau though, by his past working history...his dislikes & like a & preferences. I also know Fisher likes options on game day on how many special ST players he can place into action....Not having your game day dressed players all tied up in large slow footed linemen does nothing for your ST play. Fisher is sure to demand that Boudreau go into game day with 7 dressed OL'ers. That's hard but if Boudreau OL is made up of good versatile OL'ers then he can please his boss big time.

If you watch the past three pre season games and just view the part of the games when Wichmann & Barnes are in the line up, watch the action & communications ongoing between them. Wichmann is much more center material than Andrew Donnal who is much more OT. Wichmann is much more involved in OL calls than J.Brown is... by far, which may have contributed some to J.Brown flipping from left to right too. Garrett Reynolds is close to 6-7 tall & with little base to play center....OT Pace Murphy has been a real surprise but only @ OLT. ORT Swindle is a smaller less talented version of a Havenstein.....Battle does not know what a center is yet.....who else is there?

Just wild butt thinking here but Boudreau could go with one of those WWC OC's until the bye meanwhile using this time to bye Wichmann more time to get not only starting OG action but back up OC action. If something was to take Barnes out for a short period of time a Kush will do for a short period of time but having Wichmann prepping on the side as center while starting @ OLG puts this OL is seriously far better shape talent wise. IMO loosing a Isaiah Battle or a Andrew Donnal in order to keep a Rhaney or Kush for an entire season makes no sense & does nothing for the future 2017 Ram team.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have zero inside information on this fearsomefour. I spend way too much of what time I have left in the studying this Ram team. By the nature of my 35 year vocation I take the information available & see how its fits with the on goings. So I make no claims here...

I know Boudreau though, by his past working history...his dislikes & like a & preferences. I also know Fisher likes options on game day on how many special ST players he can place into action....Not having your game day dressed players all tied up in large slow footed linemen does nothing for your ST play. Fisher is sure to demand that Boudreau go into game day with 7 dressed OL'ers. That's hard but if Boudreau OL is made up of good versatile OL'ers then he can please his boss big time.

If you watch the past three pre season games and just view the part of the games when Wichmann & Barnes are in the line up, watch the action & communications ongoing between them. Wichmann is much more center material than Andrew Donnal who is much more OT. Wichmann is much more involved in OL calls than J.Brown is... by far, which may have contributed some to J.Brown flipping from left to right too. Garrett Reynolds is close to 6-7 tall & with little base to play center....OT Pace Murphy has been a real surprise but only @ OLT. ORT Swindle is a smaller less talented version of a Havenstein.....Battle does not know what a center is yet.....who else is there?

Just wild butt thinking here but Boudreau could go with one of those WWC OC's until the bye meanwhile using this time to bye Wichmann more time to get not only starting OG action but back up OC action. If something was to take Barnes out for a short period of time a Kush will do for a short period of time but having Wichmann prepping on the side as center while starting @ OLG puts this OL is seriously far better shape talent wise. IMO loosing a Isaiah Battle or a Andrew Donnal in order to keep a Rhaney or Kush for an entire season makes no sense & does nothing for the future 2017 Ram team.
Makes sense to me.
It's not the one or two week injury that really exposes a lack of depth....it's the long term one.

lockdnram21

Legend
You may be right. Hopefully not though. I think they were doing what they could to give him a chance to shine, but he is the same old Quick and I just don't see how they can keep him around when he adds nothing to special teams. Even Thomas, who looks like Quick Jr. with those drops, has at least put up some good work as a gunner, where it seems he's always there when the ball is caught. McRoberts adds punt returns. Spruce adds punt returns.

Quick's a slam dunk of a cut to my eye, but we'll have to wait and see. My guess is he's gone this week in the first round of cuts.
That really want happen if he gets cut it will be final cuts.. Who's outperformed him?? Imo he's still a lock by default..besides the second preseason game he's caught everything thrown his way...you can say he hasn't been spectacular well no one has.. I would say that's more to product of offense. No matter who we get at wr. We're going to be unspectacular, it's a ball control offense.... Even if Mr golden boy Spruce makes the team Quick still makes it...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Reynolds LG, RG, RT.
Wichmann LG, C, RG
Battle both T spots.
Me likey.
Only problem I see with this plan is that Wichmann has been the best guard on the football field. He deserves to start. The kid played really good. I also think our oline coach loves moving guys around to see what they can do, I don't believe we have some top secret plan to start Wichmann @center if Barnes gets hurt. Battle playing mainly at RT tells me they want him to be the swing tackle so I think he makes it. Not impressed with Reynolds Donnal or Williams.
On the WR I think we will only keep 5 since everyone else sucks. We know who the first 3 are but the last 2 spots are wide open. I think as of right know the 2 injured guys are ahead of everyone else. How is it possible to lose ground to guys who are hurt and not playing? :shocking:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I just hope that they don't keep Quick over another player that could be productive at a another position, just because they think that they need to keep six WRs. I'd rather keep a player with potential over one that is a perpetual project.

fearsomefour

Legend
Only problem I see with this plan is that Wichmann has been the best guard on the football field. He deserves to start. The kid played really good. I also think our oline coach loves moving guys around to see what they can do, I don't believe we have some top secret plan to start Wichmann @center if Barnes gets hurt. Battle playing mainly at RT tells me they want him to be the swing tackle so I think he makes it. Not impressed with Reynolds Donnal or Williams.
On the WR I think we will only keep 5 since everyone else sucks. We know who the first 3 are but the last 2 spots are wide open. I think as of right know the 2 injured guys are ahead of everyone else. How is it possible to lose ground to guys who are hurt and not playing? :shocking:
I think the top backup at LT would be Saffold with Reynolds backing up RT. Battle being the third guy at both spots.
But, as usual with best laid plans, health is the key.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Makes sense to me.
It's not the one or two week injury that really exposes a lack of depth....it's the long term one.
Last season by By the end of week 5 Rams were dealing with long term injuries on 2 OG's, By the end of wk 9 Rams had 3 long term & 2 short term injuries to Ol'ers. By Wk 11 Rams were dealing with 4 long term injuries & on & on.............

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
And this is a projection made prior to the Bronco game, btw.

I know a few of these players have many ardent fans. But I think they may be victims of the numbers game.

These are merely a few of the players that many consider to have a good shot, but I am skeptical. In no particular order...

Brian Quick
Kush
Rhaney
Justice Cunningham (numbers game)
Mike Thomas ( barring a miracle in these last 2 games)
North
Coples
Chase Reynolds

As an aside, I think Sensabaugh makes the 53. But he won't be among the actual top 5 CB's. It will be an experience thing.

Did I miss anybody?

These will probably be final cut casualties, btw.

Thoughts?
Brian Quick = 53 man roster (outstanding denver game)
Kush = 53 man roster (hulk hogan)
Rhaney = cut bait (weak)
Justice Cunningham (numbers game)=cut bait
Mike Thomas ( barring a miracle in these last 2 games) =cut bait (massive drops)
North = cut bait (meh)
Coples = cut bait (⁞ʕु•̫͡•ʔु ???)
Chase Reynolds = 53 man roster (fisher favorite)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Williams > Battle
Green > Reynolds
Kush > Rhaney
Longacre > Seau > Sims
Final WR = Spruce > Thomas > Quick
Hemmingway > J.Cunningham
Still undecided : Coples or Cam Thomas

What a difference a day makes, ... wow.

Battle > Williams
Kush > Rhaney
Longacre > Sims > Seau
T.Hill > Sensabaugh > Joyner
Final 3 WR's (out of 6) = Spruce > McRoberts > Quick
Back to undecided : Hemmingway vs J.Cunningham
Back to undecided : Green vs C.Reynolds
Still undecided : Coples vs Cam Thomas

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
One thing I will add. Cam Thomas is a big, big man. He was visibly bigger than anyone else on the field watching the broadcast - like your eye was drawn to him and I kept saying "who's that 92? Whoah he's a load" to myself. I'm not sure he can beat out Coples and he's bounced around a bit from Pittsburgh and their practice squad etc - but his size means he can surely add something?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
One thing I will add. Cam Thomas is a big, big man. He was visibly bigger than anyone else on the field watching the broadcast - like your eye was drawn to him and I kept saying "who's that 92? Whoah he's a load" to myself. I'm not sure he can beat out Coples and he's bounced around a bit from Pittsburgh and their practice squad etc - but his size means he can surely add something?

Where Coples might make for the better all around rotational player behind Brockers, Coples is better against the pass than the rush. Cam Thomas is the mountain in the middle who may be better used against the rush in short yardage or goal line protection. Coples comes across to me similar to an Adam Carriker type (if you remember him), more of a 3-4 DE trying to transition into a 4-3 DT. Right about now, i'm thinking we probably should have paid Fairley. jmo

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to bing this cadre unit up here in discussion....TE/H-Back/FB prospects.

Lance Kendricks/ Cory Harkey/ Tyler Higbee look to be locks even though Tyler took a few steps backwards since his first pre season game. Still in the fight Players here are Justice Cunningham & Temarrick Hemingway trailing ready to be released are Jake Stoneburner then Zack laskey & then Benson Browne.

Let me state here that Justice Cunningham blocks every bit as good as Cory Harkey & has played better in 3 pre season games than Cory who is our starter. There is NO comparison in the play of Justice in comparison to Temarrick. I feel many are underestimating Justice & waaaaayyyyyy over estimating Temarrick's play & abilities exhibited this far. I see most all do not share my observationso_O.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Where Coples might make for the better all around rotational player behind Brockers, Coples is better against the pass than the rush. Cam Thomas is the mountain in the middle who may be better used against the rush in short yardage or goal line protection. Coples comes across to me similar to an Adam Carriker type (if you remember him), more of a 3-4 DE trying to transition into a 4-3 DT. Right about now, i'm thinking we probably should have paid Fairley. jmo
If a member thinks you are far off base in your thoughts here on Coples, just reroute them to last nights game as exhibit #1 as evidence that Coples is not sound or solid back up Brockers. Cam Thomas may be a bona fide ugly looking, boring non special DL'er but he does fill this teams needs in a back up NT.

While Coples is a beautiful looking DL'er with athletic abilities beyond most & might be a good rotational DL'er in time it needs to be pointed out we already have PROVEN DL'ers like Eugene Sims, Wm Hayes, Dom Easley & Ethan Westbrooks all who have played much better in the rotational inside roles than Coples....Now which of before the mentioned DL'ers do you want to kick to the curb for Coples because he has big guaranteed $$$ due to him for just showing up & looking good on the sideline in his contract?

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let me state here that Justice Cunningham blocks every bit as good as Cory Harkey & has played better in 3 pre season games than Cory who is our starter. There is NO comparison in the play of Justice in comparison to Temarrick. I feel many are underestimating Justice & waaaaayyyyyy over estimating Temarrick's play & abilities exhibited this far. I see most all do not share my observationso_O.

There are a lot more stats available on Harkey than J.Cunningham, but Harkey grades far superior at run blocking while grading similar to JC at pass blocking. Harkey actually graded as the NFL's 4'th highest FB last season. Believe it or not, Cook actually graded close as our 2'nd best run blocker, no-one does particularly well at pass blocking, so maybe Cunningham can develop some here as the pre-season stats are incomplete.