The OBJ Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
This week. Was announced same day as Donald, I think.. so got lost in the noise.
I can't remember shit, so you're probably right. I just know they were signed. Haha.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nobody is knocking obj's door down offering him a contract.

Teams like to see a player is still physically effective after suffering two acl injuries in two years.

The Rams won't be any different.

Obj will just have to wait.

I'm sure the Rams and OBJ stay in contact, keeping each other in the loop about his status and other things.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s kind of funny, this money thing. If it’s me I’m gambling on OBJ to be good and get him a highly incentivized contract like others have said. I’d throw in some guaranteed money for what he did last year as well. He’s a great insurance policy if one of our WRs go down. I’d sign him as soon as possible. There certainly are worse bets. He’s an asset in the locker room and a cool head on the field in the playoffs. Snead, go get your man! Go Rams!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams undoubtedly are waiting for a good physical. Once he can pass a physical shit will heat up.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I thought I read that the Rams made an offer and waiting on Odel. if he hadn't been injured he could have been MVP of the SB. So he could probably get 20 mil at least. I mean. He is unstoppable 1 on 1.

I think he will shop around and come back to the Rams with a counter offer. He will sign with the Rams unless someone gives him stupid money, like Miller.

There is always the chance he sits the year out to get right. Might not want to hurry back to soon. Then works out for teams and expects a big multi year deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they did make him an offer it was probably very low, based on them not knowing to what extent he'll be back physically. His knee by some reports was extremely unstable. So if he wants more money he's probably gonna need to show them he's back, which I imagine at the least involves a physical but maybe more. I'd probably want to work him out and make sure he has that suddenness to him still.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Rams will sign him if the money is close. Fuck that cap.

oldnotdead

Legend
Now that they have AD and Kupp signed I believe they are working on OBJ's deal now. They have adequate cap space to sign him. I would imagine that McVay would like it done before he runs off with his smoking hot wife for a few weeks before TC. So I expect it to be done if not over the weekend then next week. I think they are going to try to save enough cap to make a trade for an edge. The next couple of weeks will be interesting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say that if he was up for a low base salary with big incentives, he'd have signed with someone already. I think he's looking for a longer term deal, (see big signing bonus) and teams wont be offering that until they see how the knee is.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How many games is he going to play? If he’s back Dec-1, which seems optimistic… 6 games? Plus post season.

$17M/yr divided by 17 games = $6M for 6 games.

So for 2022, coming off injury, we are talking less than that… and it would seem we can make that work.

I just don’t think the Rams have room for another big contract… So what are we negotiating here? Short term 1yr deal?

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have just under $9.7M in cap space. My estimate if they sign OBJ to a value 3 year deal then it's going to take about $5M this year. If the Rams don't sign him this coming week I have to feel that that amount of cap space is what they will need to make a trade for an edge. Signing that guy for a 3-4 year contract giving them space to then sign OBJ.

Team clearly wants OBJ and he clearly wants the Rams. This is why I'm wondering what's the hold up? The only thing I can think of is they want to fit both OBJ and the new edge in that $7M they have to work with. They would need at least 2M to go into the season with. If OBJ isn't signed this week then IMO they are working on a trade.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Team clearly wants OBJ and he clearly wants the Rams. This is why I'm wondering what's the hold up?
Number of years is my guess.

Can the Rams really do more than 1yr? I think this is the Rams stickler.

Our 2023 cap… has $178.5M already committed to these big deals. How do we add another big contract?

EA93D7B1-0FE0-4082-9934-33BEFCF4A328.png

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Number of years is my guess.

Can the Rams really do more than 1yr? I think this is the Rams stickler.

Our 2023 cap… has $178.5M already committed to these big deals. How do we add another big contract?

View attachment 54540

other teams would die to have 8 quality core players like that.

whatever the rams are doing, they're doing it right.

2007-2011 seem so long ago. i guess 2010 was an ok year. surviving those dark years makes the present so much more rewarding.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
other teams would die to have 8 quality core players like that.

whatever the rams are doing, they're doing it right.

2007-2011 seem so long ago. i guess 2010 was an ok year. surviving those dark years makes the present so much more rewarding.

Its pretty top heavy. Grab any other team… you see the difference.

RAMS
483AD75B-AF85-411B-9A92-E9880C011A21.png

TAMPA
7E50423D-3DDF-4F71-AE28-5873F4EAA64C.png

KC
9BE72817-9713-4F7F-A496-4879EE590806.png

BILLS
B044CA1D-6177-41A2-9725-0A66E6BCCBB4.png

PACKERS
EE2C2640-3D79-4737-81EE-6F2C23A5F0B9.png

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its pretty top heavy. Grab any other team… you see the difference.

TAMPA
View attachment 54544

KC
View attachment 54543

BILLS
View attachment 54542

PACKERS
View attachment 54541

Yeah but there's only one Aaron Donald. Every other team in the league would kill to have him on their team. And unfortunately that costs a heap of money. Take him out of the equation and the Rams aren't that far off from the rest. Of course the Rams didn't want to do that, he's that good.

The Rams don't have run of the mill players collecting the big money. AD, Kupp, Stafford, Ramsey. All top 3 players and arguably the best at their position, AD and Kupp definitely the best of the best.

With all these studs on the team the Rams will always be competitive and with a shot to win the superbowl. As long as they draft well and coach well they stay on top.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Rams and OBJ’s camp have a ‘gentlemen’s agreement’ to sign at such time as Rams are comfortable with OBJ’s knee.

IOW, money’s not gonna be the problem at all. And reports so far are encouraging about the success of that knee operation.

This signing is virtually a done deal, y’all.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that Rams and OBJ’s camp have a ‘gentlemen’s agreement’ to sign at such time as Rams are comfortable with OBJ’s knee.

IOW, money’s not gonna be the problem at all. And reports so far are encouraging about the success of that knee operation.

This signing is virtually a done deal, y’all.
The Wedding Crasher stunt sealed the deal!

dang

Legend
OBJ would be an amazing add this season. In time to get in shape and help close out the season and into playoffs. It will be very interesting to see if Rams are willing to go with multiple years supported by guaranteed $$. That would mean 3 WRs on the roster likely making $18m+ That’s a lot of capital in one position but that may be the exactly what the Rams want to do to stay ahead of the pack.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OBJ would be an amazing add this season. In time to get in shape and help close out the season and into playoffs. It will be very interesting to see if Rams are willing to go with multiple years supported by guaranteed $$. That would mean 3 WRs on the roster likely making $18m+ That’s a lot of capital in one position but that may be the exactly what the Rams want to do to stay ahead of the pack.
Jourdan Rodrigue has talked about it a bunch.. it sounds like the standing offer is a reasonable first year.. lower guaranteed and salary, but with some incentives like last year.. and reasonable years after, with flexibility for Odell. I don't think there's anything close to 18 on the board for him right now.

dang

Legend
Jourdan Rodrigue has talked about it a bunch.. it sounds like the standing offer is a reasonable first year.. lower guaranteed and salary, but with some incentives like last year.. and reasonable years after, with flexibility for Odell. I don't think there's anything close to 18 on the board for him right now.
Sorry I wasn’t clear in my response…
For OBJ It will be very interesting to see if Rams are willing to go with multiple years supported by guaranteed $$. That could mean 3 WRs on the roster in 2023 making $18m or more.