The OBJ Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
What OBJ does will speak volumes to what he thinks of the Rams
I don't agree with this because he's already come out and said how much he wants to be with the Rams. Multiple times actually already in the last couple months. If he didn't get hurt we would've given him a big contract and maybe we don't sign ARob. Yes he got hurt and we cant give him that same type of contract, but by all accounts we're offering him some sort of 1yr incentive based deal with very low guaranteed money.

OBJ helped us win the super bowl and we don't win it without him. To me given our cap space and the room we can create with AD and Kupp extensions, we should be able to offer him a decent deal maybe with incentives worked in. But not some vet minimum deal that he doesn't even see as a "real offer." To me, extending a bit of an olive branch shows him we're thankful for his contributions last year, and we want him around here long term for the next 3-5 years. Maybe we offer a 2 year deal then tell him we'll come back to the negotiating table assuming he's healthy. The other part of this is stopping him from signing with the Packers, Chargers, Chiefs, Niners, etc. To me there is a sweet spot with this deal where we're not over-committing and putting our cap at risk, but where we show him we see him as a big part of our future plans and want him in LA.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't agree with this because he's already come out and said how much he wants to be with the Rams. Multiple times actually already in the last couple months. If he didn't get hurt we would've given him a big contract and maybe we don't sign ARob. Yes he got hurt and we cant give him that same type of contract, but by all accounts we're offering him some sort of 1yr incentive based deal with very low guaranteed money.

OBJ helped us win the super bowl and we don't win it without him. To me given our cap space and the room we can create with AD and Kupp extensions, we should be able to offer him a decent deal maybe with incentives worked in. But not some vet minimum deal that he doesn't even see as a "real offer." To me, extending a bit of an olive branch shows him we're thankful for his contributions last year, and we want him around here long term for the next 3-5 years. Maybe we offer a 2 year deal then tell him we'll come back to the negotiating table assuming he's healthy. The other part of this is stopping him from signing with the Packers, Chargers, Chiefs, Niners, etc. To me there is a sweet spot with this deal where we're not over-committing and putting our cap at risk, but where we show him we see him as a big part of our future plans and want him in LA.
What would be smart would be some kind of deal with an option for 2023 and 2024. You can't pay him guaranteed money for what he did. He was already compensated for that and earned every bit possible. How many games is he going to play? If he comes back in late November for the Chiefs game, he'll play 7 games. WTF should we pay him for that? A half mil per game? What if he comes back but isn't 100% for a couple of weeks? What if he doesn't come back until early December? The Rams are being smart. They have Allen Robinson, a bigger, stronger version of OBJ who can also block. They're covered. OBJ is gravy...icing...extra credit. And that's how they're playing it...wisely. How much would you pay him for 7 games? 6 games? 5 games? I would give him the same type of deal he got last year with an option for 2023 and 2024 that pays him well. If he stays healthy, he's set for a couple of years. If he doesn't stay healthy, c'est la vie.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Cooper Kupp talks to Odell Beckham Jr. daily, would love if he re-signed with Rams​

Cooper Kupp and Odell Beckham Jr. looked like one of the best wide receiver duos in the NFL late last season, particularly in the playoffs. The Rams have a chance to keep that tandem intact simply by re-signing Beckham as a free agent.

Beckham is arguably the best player still on the market and Kupp hopes the Rams find a way to bring him back to Los Angeles. He said on “First Take” Friday that he speaks to Beckham daily and it “would just be the coolest thing” if OBJ returns to the Rams.

“What he was able to do coming into this offense, learning it and then being able to go out and execute the way he did was absolutely incredible. But just as a person, as a teammate, how he was in our building, I would absolutely love nothing more than to just be able to have him come back and be a part of what we’re building here,” Kupp said. “I talk to him daily, being able to keep up with him. Would love to have him back. There’s a lot of stuff that has to be worked through because of how terrible the unfortunate situation where he was gonna have an unbelievable game that Super Bowl, the way things were trending and the way the Bengals were playing us, the game plan we had in for him to be able to go off that game, it just kills me the whole way that thing worked out. But would absolutely love to have him back and I know our receiver room, I know the guys across the board would love to have him back in our building.”

Stephen A. Smith said he believes Beckham would’ve given Kupp a run for his money for Super Bowl MVP, which Kupp agreed with. And it’s the truth. They both played incredibly well in that game and the Bengals had no answer for either of them.

Even though the Rams signed Allen Robinson, they remain interested in bringing Beckham back to be their No. 3 receiver. He may not be ready until the middle of the regular season, but we saw what a spark he provided for the Rams after he joined them mid-season, so it won’t be much different in 2022.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp sounds just like McVay... nothing but coachspeak. Although that is the professional way to speak to the media.

dang

Legend
The Rams are unique in that they don’t wait for opportunities - they create opportunities. If they need a WR they get a WR. If they need a QB they get a QB. Etc. So right now I believe the Rams don’t think they need a WR. So until the time they conclude they need a WR they won’t be signing OBJ. I hope they sign OBJ but am in favor of them waiting until they assess all of their rostered Players to determine if/when to make a move to add another WR. If OBJ is still available/ready in October and the Rams would benefit from adding him then it will make sense to add OBJ.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OBJ was fantastic for the Rams last year. Having a guy hungry to win and rehab his image was great.
Robinson is different but can easily have as much impact… and likely more.
He’s a true pro.. has an entire offseason… and, I think, will block at a very high level.
His ability to win contested balls is going to be the cheat code for this offense.. especially on 3rd downs.
I just can’t wait for him and Kupp to be on the field together.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think Rams having OBj as their 3rd WR for the second half of season and playoffs is virtually already baked into the cake.

Only thing remaining is how much will it cost and when do they pull the trigger?

The AD and Kupp extensions will allow for such a move.

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't think the reports of Tutu looking very good in OTAs is an exaggeration. With OBJ this would make the Rams 5 or 6 deep at WR if you factor in Harris. Harris may end up back at TE where IMO he would be a complete mismatch with a LB or SS.

This is why IMO Jefferson could be used as trade bait for a top edge. The actual problem would be fitting that player long-term under the cap. Extending A'Shawn would IMO clear enough to sign OBJ and solve their NT issue long term. It's clear from how Gaines was the primary rotational player for AD that he is looked at as the successor. Gaines and Robinson would be a solid inside tandem but they would need a top edge to play opposite Floyd.

OBJ is key in that he could free up Jefferson to be trade bait. He's a rising talent with good value with 2 years remaining on his rookie contract. IMO he's got a low 1st high 2nd round value right now. The rise of Tutu would be key in their estimation if Jefferson could be used. I have no doubt that if offered in trade for Hunter the Vikings would take it, win-win for both teams.

Lots of moving parts, and the single common denominator is AD's decision. The Rams need him to decide before TC so they can continue to complete their cap situation and roster.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Greg Gaines was not ‘the primary rotational player’ for Aaron Donald.
I mean… I guess there’s an argument that Gaines was in when Donald was out… but Donald played a career high in snap counts so there wasn’t much to rotate.

I’m curious how much we see Copeland & Brown this year. I hope a lot.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't think the reports of Tutu looking very good in OTAs is an exaggeration. With OBJ this would make the Rams 5 or 6 deep at WR if you factor in Harris. Harris may end up back at TE where IMO he would be a complete mismatch with a LB or SS.

This is why IMO Jefferson could be used as trade bait for a top edge. The actual problem would be fitting that player long-term under the cap. Extending A'Shawn would IMO clear enough to sign OBJ and solve their NT issue long term. It's clear from how Gaines was the primary rotational player for AD that he is looked at as the successor. Gaines and Robinson would be a solid inside tandem but they would need a top edge to play opposite Floyd.

OBJ is key in that he could free up Jefferson to be trade bait. He's a rising talent with good value with 2 years remaining on his rookie contract. IMO he's got a low 1st high 2nd round value right now. The rise of Tutu would be key in their estimation if Jefferson could be used. I have no doubt that if offered in trade for Hunter the Vikings would take it, win-win for both teams.

Lots of moving parts, and the single common denominator is AD's decision. The Rams need him to decide before TC so they can continue to complete their cap situation and roster.
Not sure the rest of the league sees Van Jefferson with that much value.

MachS

Hall of Fame
OBJ was fantastic for the Rams last year. Having a guy hungry to win and rehab his image was great.
Robinson is different but can easily have as much impact… and likely more.
He’s a true pro.. has an entire offseason… and, I think, will block at a very high level.
His ability to win contested balls is going to be the cheat code for this offense.. especially on 3rd downs.
I just can’t wait for him and Kupp to be on the field together.
Yea I there's a lot of people that dont realize how good ARob is, and what he's about to do in this offense. His game is so underrated after the debacle that was Chicago. He's going to go absolutely nuts in this system and with Stafford.

ARobs' QBs in college and the NFL:

Christian Hackenburg
Andy Dalton
Mitch Trubisky
Blake Bortles
Justin Fields

Even with that at QB he's had three years of at least 1,200yrds / 6TDs including an all-pro year where he went for 1,400 / 14TDs. His talent is elite there's no doubt.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Let's say the Rams guarantee OBJ 30 million. Then he comes back and is not the same player he was (see Torry Holt). Then the team just blew 30 million dollars against the cap that could have been used on 2 or 3 very good free agents. I don't blame the Rams for waiting. Of course OBJ (and his agent) want guaranteed money now, but his ego is getting in the way of reality. If some team, like the Packers, wants to gamble with 30 million dollars on a 30 year-old receiver with two recent ACL injuries that can't play until December... so be it.
I think you can set up a contract that protects both parties. Give him a nice bonus this yr that vayn be spread out over the next 2-3 yrs...and a contract that forces the Rams to guarantee at least a portion of the next 3 yrs at the start of next league season. So if he plays well this yr and everything goes well, then they can feel better about such a future guarantee. If he is not healthy and struggles, the Rams can walk away and he still got a nice bonus for this yr and maybe even a min bonus guaranteed for next yr, but not a crushing cap hit for the Rams long term.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yea I there's a lot of people that dont realize how good ARob is, and what he's about to do in this offense. His game is so underrated after the debacle that was Chicago. He's going to go absolutely nuts in this system and with Stafford.

ARobs' QBs in college and the NFL:

Christian Hackenburg
Andy Dalton
Mitch Trubisky
Blake Bortles
Justin Fields

Even with that at QB he's had three years of at least 1,200yrds / 6TDs including an all-pro year where he went for 1,400 / 14TDs. His talent is elite there's no doubt.
He's a true #1 talent.. with a fantastic attitude.. team first.. and HIGHLY motivated. A good type of player to add when you're trying to repeat and when you need to throw something different at defenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He would definitely tip the scales for Green Bay and Tampa.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
He needs to resign with us. End of story. If he goes to TB or GB it's really going to be rough on us.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Are we resigned that he’ll re-sign or will he, in essence, resign his spot on the Rams and send a memo titled re: signing elsewhere?

MachS

Hall of Fame
I hope at this point the only thing holding this up is the AD contract. Hopefully we just want to get that done first before resigning OBJ.