The OBJ Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sorry I wasn’t clear in my response…
For OBJ It will be very interesting to see if Rams are willing to go with multiple years supported by guaranteed $$. That could mean 3 WRs on the roster in 2023 making $18m or more.
I guess I wasn't clear.
It doesn't sound like a deal with a lot of guaranteed $ is on the table, nor a deal with 18 million next year or the year after. Sounds like it's a step down from that.. but gives him a chance to make some money this year and have a little security next year, or be able to opt for FA again.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
With injuries and age, I can’t envision any future scenario that gets OBJ anywhere close to $18M/year. Even if he balled out late in the season/playoffs again and was healthy entering FA next season. Not to mention there are just so many great young WRs entering the NFL each year. Maybe similar to Clowney with short term one year $10m type deals - but only if he is clearly healthy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With injuries and age, I can’t envision any future scenario that gets OBJ anywhere close to $18M/year. Even if he balled out late in the season/playoffs again and was healthy entering FA next season. Not to mention there are just so many great young WRs entering the NFL each year. Maybe similar to Clowney with short term one year $10m type deals - but only if he is clearly healthy.
I think that's very possible.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And it's even more unlikely he gets $18M from the Rams. For him this year the Rams are a shot at a ring and a stepping stone to a big contract with another team.

oldnotdead

Legend
Can the Rams really do more than 1yr? I think this is the Rams stickler.

IMO there is no question it will be more than just one year. He won't sign for less. Also multi-year spreads the cap hit. They can build in injury insurance into the language of the contract prorating the money if he begins to miss multiple years to injury. But spreading the cap hit is why it will be multi-year IMO.

The doctor's report that this surgery will extend his career is very encouraging. Yes, I believe he will be resigned on at least a 3 year deal with maybe a 4th void year attached.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Can we infer what the current Rams' offer is by these tweets? What do you guys think? Seems to me OBJ has been dropping little hints on social media about the Rams' offer and how he feels it's not 'real.'

1655152603695.png

Field Yates tweeted that with the AD and Kupp contracts the Rams crated $3.6M in cap space. Then Tyler Fulghum from ESPN replies to Yates saying it 'sounds like the amount needed to bring back OBJ.' Then Odell starts his tweet by saying a $3.6M offer would be better than what is currently offered to him, but stops himself mid sentence.

He obviously knows what he's doing and I figured we had offered him some small ass incentive based deal and to me this all but confirms it. We are playing a risky game here by not raising our offer to him yet. We have the space currently to get it done yet the game of chicken continues it seems.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Or.......we've yet to offer him anything. We may be waiting to see how his recovery goes. Not only is that fair to the Rams but it's also fair to OBJ. If he heals quicker.....to join the team pre-December.....that would obviously mean more money. OBJ is a grown ass man who's reasonably intelligent. He knows any offer right now would be dumb. Maybe he's breaking the boredom of rehab by trolling worrisome Ram fans?

Are the Rams "playing chicken"? I haven't heard of other teams throwing money at the man currently with one knee? Where is he rehabbing? L.A.? At the Rams facility? Isn't it reasonably possible they've told him, "get healthy, recover and we'll get a deal done you'll be satisfied with"?

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
Or.......we've yet to offer him anything.
OBJ is a grown ass man who's reasonably intelligent. He knows any offer right now would be dumb
Based on his tweets over the last month the Rams definitely made an offer. Also if you read between the lines with what McVay and Snead have said since April, we've made an offer. Many around here have speculated what the amount is on the table, or what it will take to sign him this year. IMO based on this tweet we should be pretty confident the offer made was less than $3.6M for year 1. Like many around here think it's likely an incentive based deal that's not structured in a way OBJs side is happy with. But for OBJ to allude to $3.6 being 'better' than what's currently been offered says a lot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After a lot of research and evaluation on the possible OBJ contract, this much I know; I don’t know.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Based on his tweets over the last month the Rams definitely made an offer. Also if you read between the lines with what McVay and Snead have said since April, we've made an offer. Many around here have speculated what the amount is on the table, or what it will take to sign him this year. IMO based on this tweet we should be pretty confident the offer made was less than $3.6M for year 1. Like many around here think it's likely an incentive based deal that's not structured in a way OBJs side is happy with. But for OBJ to allude to $3.6 being 'better' than what's currently been offered says a lot.
I don't know about all that. That's a lot of speculation and reading between the lines.

We have had an open dialog doesn't mean an offer was made.

3.6 mil is better than what was offered doesn't mean anything was offered.

I don't know but of course any offer for a guy still rehabbing would be too much and nothing offered would not be enough for his liking Methinks they're all on the same page except...

OBJ would like to have a contract already done

and

The Rams would like him to be already healed/healthy.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Still basking in the SBowl win - I’m not worried about anything Rams related.

But if I did let Myself get worried, it certainly would not be the WR room. OBJ is a luxury. You could even make an argument it’s not needed at all. The best thing about signing him would not be what he does for us - but keeping him away from others.

If you really absolutely want & need to worry about something — worry about Edge, RG, LT and the punter.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'm no salary expert in the NFL, but say the Rams sign him to an 18 million dollar deal and OBJ plays 4 regular season games. Wouldn't the Rams only wind up paying him like 4 million and some change? Contracts I believe are prorated by the number or regular season games so OBJ would get just over $1 million per game. 4 games = 4 million plus some change?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm no salary expert in the NFL, but say the Rams sign him to an 18 million dollar deal and OBJ plays 4 regular season games. Wouldn't the Rams only wind up paying him like 4 million and some change? Contracts I believe are prorated by the number or regular season games so OBJ would get just over $1 million per game. 4 games = 4 million plus some change?
Depends on the contract. If its a traditional guaranteed contract he gets the full amount once the season starts in September, whether he plays 1 game or all of them. The pro rate piece is more common when guys are released mid season and a team picks up the pro rated portion while the releasing team picks up the rest
IMO, this is likely where teams are at, if the guy is "worth" a 1 year, 12 mill deal with incentives, they offer him 1/4 of that on a guarantee, to which OBJ is probably insulted that he's offered "only" 3 mill guaranteed. (All conjecture on my part of course)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow....6 pages of posts about a guy who won't be signed until probably November, if ever.

This may become the longest thread in ROD history.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Shuie3225

Starter
Wow....6 pages of posts about a guy who won't be signed until probably November, if ever.

This may become the longest thread in ROD history.
He'll be signed before the season starts, no way he makes it to Nov unsigned by someone.