The OBJ Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Of course, I wouldn't want OBJ signing with any NFC playoff contenders.

My point was, I won't be upset at OBJ personally for choosing the team of his choice as a UFA. He's earned the right to sign with any team and hopefully it's the Rams.
Agreed, I just think we will be outbid.
train

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think the real issue here is how his knee is or if it's going fully recover after two ACL's. The Rams have to be smart about this. We're already against the Cap and say we do sign him at this point and he has a major setback. So we signed a player to a one year deal that very well could never see the field again. I'm just being (haha he's that word again) Realistic about the whole situation. The Rams need the room in the cap at this point to cover their asses. If he ends up somewhere else because he can't understand that then I don't know what to say. However, if he does stick around and he does heal up. Fucking watch out. Kupp, Arob, OBJ and VJ. Jiminy Christmas, that's a hell-of-a WR room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
train
Yeah I think that's how this will go down too. It's too bad, but the Rams had a windfall with Robinson wanting to come in and his signing plus the payouts they're doing on key guys might just be too much.

Once again I think the Rams are the smart call. But as much as I like Odell I don't think he's very good at making the smart calls, I think he's focused moreso on the money so we'll see.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
train
As time goes on the more likely this becomes IMO. That's my main point too. With all the big FAs gone, there's no upside to waiting now. We're only risking losing him and getting outbid. It's such a risky game of chicken that I hope doesn't come back to bite us.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Of course, I wouldn't want OBJ signing with any NFC playoff contenders.

My point was, I won't be upset at OBJ personally for choosing the team of his choice as a UFA. He's earned the right to sign with any team and hopefully it's the Rams.
That's cool. I agree with that. Your wording was what threw me.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Some have said he won't be ready to play until late November. Is somebody going to give him a huge deal for that? I don't know what's going to happen but I've felt all along, he knows once he gets medical clearance the Rams will pay him. He wants to be here and I can't believe he doesn't know exactly what their thinking must be. But if some team wants to give him a multi-year big buck deal with his prognosis, what can we do? We're not going to spend money on somebody who can't contribute until late November. Is that dumb cap management? I don't think so.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If losing OBJ means the Rams have Donald and Kupp signed for the foreseeable future I’m ok with that. Snead makes things happen, even when it feels like the team is spilling its wheels in mud. Then presto good things happen.
Animated GIF

First thing that came up when I searched "spilling its wheels".

dang

Legend
this^
train
There is short term $$ and there is long term $$. He got a taste of what short term $$ got him with the Browns (underutilized, poor offense, mismanaged injury, etc). The Rams will take their time bringing him back. Hell they may not need him until the playoffs. The Rams will also allow him to succeed which (with full recovery) will maximize his next (and probably final) multi year contract.

nighttrain

Legend
There is short term $$ and there is long term $$. He got a taste of what short term $$ got him with the Browns (underutilized, poor offense, mismanaged injury, etc). The Rams will take their time bringing him back. Hell they may not need him until the playoffs. The Rams will also allow him to succeed which (with full recovery) will maximize his next (and probably final) multi year contract.
and for instance, GB wont feel the same?

AR desperately needs receivers
train

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's say the Rams guarantee OBJ 30 million. Then he comes back and is not the same player he was (see Torry Holt). Then the team just blew 30 million dollars against the cap that could have been used on 2 or 3 very good free agents. I don't blame the Rams for waiting. Of course OBJ (and his agent) want guaranteed money now, but his ego is getting in the way of reality. If some team, like the Packers, wants to gamble with 30 million dollars on a 30 year-old receiver with two recent ACL injuries that can't play until December... so be it.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that annoys me about McVay and Snead is that, for me, they have removed the enjoyment of the offseason.

I miss the days of Fisher when almost every draft was preceded by vomit-inducing anxiety because you knew he was going to fuck it up. And every offseason move was met with a combination of dismay, disdain and disgust.

M & S are annoyingly good and consistent and seem to have what's colloquially known as a plan.

Having idiots at the helm without a plan made things a lot more interesting and exciting.

I'm more invested in the Michigan Panthers now.

Jeff has had a tough start, but I know he'll turn this 1-5 record around and get us to 4-6 ready for a breakout 5-5 season next year.

Admittedly we'll be back to 4-6 the year after but give the man a couple of decades and he'll figure it out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One thing that annoys me about McVay and Snead is that, for me, they have removed the enjoyment of the offseason.

I miss the days of Fisher when almost every draft was preceded by vomit-inducing anxiety because you knew he was going to fuck it up. And every offseason move was met with a combination of dismay, disdain and disgust.

M & S are annoyingly good and consistent and seem to have what's colloquially known as a plan.

Having idiots at the helm without a plan made things a lot more interesting and exciting.

I'm more invested in the Michigan Panthers now.

Jeff has had a tough start, but I know he'll turn this 1-5 record around and get us to 4-6 ready for a breakout 5-5 season next year.

Admittedly we'll be back to 4-6 the year after but give the man a couple of decades and he'll figure it out.

Well Jeff Fisher had Les Snead as his GM.Almost seemed like Les might of had the door opened for him to get out.
Eric Dickerson29 & The LA Rams Fans got rid of Jeff Fisher from him lying!
Kevin Demoff at that time had feathers from his move out of St.Louis.He signed had signed Jeff Fisher Secretly from Rams Fans & media.Just think what that would have looked like for another 2 years ?
The Chargers might have been the team of LA?

Les Snead & Sean Mcvay together have been a blessed.Demoff had to do the right thing & found Mcvay in his search.Made sure Wade Phillips was added as the DC(HC) to help guide the young HC.
I’m sure Mcvay would be above .500 if not at least 3-3.Mcvay & The Rams have had 5 years of winning football. 4 playoff appearances & 2 SuperBowl plus one(won) victory of winning it all.
Gosh I miss the dumb & dumber daze.Then I come to my senses.

Ram65

Legend
Yes he has to rehab and is still a long ways away from contributing. But I don't necessarily agree that there is no hurry, A few months ago I felt that way, but every week that goes by allows a team to woo him and steal him away. Maybe a team has a WR tear an ACL and decides they want to just pull the trigger on an OBJ deal as an insurance policy for 2nd half of the season? To me it's foolish to just assume he will come back to LA. Yes he wants to be here, but he wants a real offer too. Right now what FAs are available that we might want to sign? My point is earlier in the off-season it made sense to wait and be patient with other potential signings out there. But now what incentive is there to wait? The only thing we risk is losing him. His play speaks for itself, but its also the confidence and energy he brings to our team. All our leaders are kind of quiet guys and idk that bravado is contagious for the offense and something we need.

Is it foolish to think Les Snead and Company aren't aware that other teams have an interest in OBJ?

Of course not!

Unfortunately, the Rams can't look at signing OBJ in a vacuum. As @dang pointed out there are other factors to consider. They have new contracts for AD, Kupp, and the overall cap numbers for the future to consider. The Rams will make their best offer and like everyone else hope OBJ takes the deal. It's going to take some time for OBJ to rehab and negotiations to get moving. I believe he is rehabbing with the Rams in some capacity. I'm sure the Rams are on top of things regarding OBJ.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was thinking about that the other day. Just how fortunate we are and wondering what a post-McVay era would look like. Nobody wants to see that. But I do suspect things might be different with Kroenke. It seems like the Rams are his priority. I go back to him carrying that Patriots Way book around and think to myself maybe it's not luck that the Rams hired the best young HC in the league and have had this run of success.

Hopefully it'll be another 5 years at least before we have to face all that though. Again I'd lock him up for ten years on a most-paid contract and let him move into a Team President or GM role the moment he thinks he's done coaching.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Hopefully he is relaxing on a beach somewhere and will sign when he gets back to LA....

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What OBJ does will speak volumes to what he thinks of the Rams. Didn't Green Bay want him last year? Did they offer him more money? I seriously doubt with 2 ACL repairs on the same knee, many teams (if any) will be offering long term money.