Sources: Jon Gruden a focal point in L.A. Rams' coaching search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, if we hire Gruden, we will sign WR Pierre Garcon. Book it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, if we hire Gruden, we will sign WR Pierre Garcon. Book it.

The difference that one signing alone would make is stunning. Garçon and Britt would be an interesting and potentially devastating tandem.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I doubted it too. However, I was talking to Saints fans and they put some stock into the rumors. They're saying that Payton wants a West Coast job and that Jay Glazer is known for being a Payton mouthpiece. We shall see.

Man, Peyton would be a great get. January Can't come fast enough

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Well, the funny thing is (funny to football nerds like me) that David Shaw actually came up under Jon Gruden and runs a variant of Gruden's WCO.

True enough and I was fully aware, but I like he also been under Harbaugh plus his Dad etc. etc.
Gruden ego appears to have gotten in the way. That and I keep pounding the table outside of Gannon name me a QB "he's developed"?? Thats the rub for me. Too much ego

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
If the video below is true,It is a sad situation.I'm not talking about the fact that they are targeting
Gruden.He may turn out to be great.I'm talking about the reasoning behind it.
Guess I am just being naive to believe good football is priority one with our team.

View: https://youtu.be/M0x3TfiOUcs

The main focus is Gruden....

So they're insinuating that Gruden is going to use the Rams "just temporarily" as a catalyst to boost his own career????...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True enough and I was fully aware, but I like he also been under Harbaugh plus his Dad etc. etc.
Gruden ego appears to have gotten in the way. That and I keep pounding the table outside of Gannon name me a QB "he's developed"?? Thats the rub for me. Too much ego

I guess it depends on how you define "developed." During his time in Tampa, they never really invested in a young QB. He got strong years out of guys like Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, and Jeff Garcia. Even got guys like Chris Simms, Tim Rattay, and Luke McCown to play decent football at times.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tim Rattay, and Luke McCown to play decent football at times.

Gruden can coach Quarterbacks and if they hire Gruden, Goff must be special for him to come back where he could have just stayed on the sidelines. Also you can book that if the Rams hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach, Gus Bradley will be the Defensive Coordinator.

One other thing people are forgetting, Kevin Demoff worked with Gruden in Tampa from 2005-2008!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gruden can coach Quarterbacks and if they hire Gruden, Goff must be special for him to come back where he could have just stayed on the sidelines. Also you can book that if the Rams hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach, Gus Bradley will be the Defensive Coordinator.

One other thing people are forgetting, Kevin Demoff worked with Gruden in Tampa from 2005-2008!

If there's one thing that works in Gruden's favor, it's that the man has incredible connections in the NFL. He's worked with so many great coaches during his time as an OC and HC. Here are some of the guys who worked under him:
Asshole Face (Saints HC)
Mike Tomlin (Steelers HC)
Kyle Shanahan (Falcons OC)
Bill Callahan (Redskins OL Coach)
Jay Gruden (Redskins HC)
Raheem Morris (Falcons AHC)
Monte Kiffin (former Bucs DC)
Joe Vitt (Saints AHC)
Mike Trgovac (Packers DL Coach)
Aaron Kromer (Bills OL Coach)
David Shaw (Stanford HC)
Gus Bradley (former Jaguars HC)
Nathaniel Hackett (Jaguars OC)
Joe Barry (Redskins DC)
Todd Wash (Jaguars DC)
Rod Marinelli (Cowboys DC)
Sean McVay (Redskins OC)
Greg Olson (former Jaguars OC)
Juan Castillo (Ravens OL Coach)
Marc Trestman (former Bears HC)
Fred Pagac (Broncos LB Coach)
Rich Bisaccia (Cowboys AHC)
Kirby Wilson (Browns Run Game Coordinator)
Mike Waufle (Rams DL Coach)
Skip Peete (Rams RB Coach)
John Morton (Saints WR Coach)

There might be more. Point being that it's pretty clear that Gruden knows how to surround himself with good coaches.

Zero

Pro Bowler
The main focus is Gruden....

So they're insinuating that Gruden is going to use the Rams "just temporarily" as a catalyst to boost his own career????...
The thing that bothers me about the video,If true and that's a big if.
Is that the main focus of the Rams is to find a star.Someone who has the
name that would sell PSL's. In my opinion if that's the case,we are putting
limitations on our search.Here is a quote from Jimmy Johnson posted
in another thread.
"For the Rams, the biggest thing is getting the right guy to win games. It doesn’t have to be a celebrity coach. You don’t have to get a star, because if you get a star and he goes 4-12, he’s not a star anymore. If you get a no-name and he goes 12-4, all of a sudden he becomes a star."

Just hope they are searching for the best possible candidate and not just the biggest name.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There might be more. Point being that it's pretty clear that Gruden knows how to surround himself with good coaches.

The OL Coach will be a huge hire, but you're correct Gruden can build a great staff, that is for sure and I believe he will keep Mike Waufle & John Fassel, but I have to stop putting the cart before the horse.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
For the Rams, the biggest thing is getting the right guy to win games. It doesn’t have to be a celebrity coach.

See it would be different if Gruden was acting, pretending whatever. Gruden is not that, yes he has celebrity like status due to his trademark facial expression of Chucky, his superbowl win, his off field announcing, and overall his superb knowledge of football. I really think Jon Gruden could be that catalyst for this team that could end up being great.

Like this.
chinawallarge.gif

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I guess it depends on how you define "developed." During his time in Tampa, they never really invested in a young QB. He got strong years out of guys like Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, and Jeff Garcia. Even got guys like Chris Simms, Tim Rattay, and Luke McCown to play decent football at times.

Ya, thats a great point. Most of his teams were not starting from ground zero. good call

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No to Gruden. He's over-hyped, overrated and completely dismantled the Bucs once he inherited a very talented team.

If he's the next Rams coach, the Rams are going to suck for another 20 years.
I don't believe that.He is a better coach than his brother.Stepping aside has only made him betterHe studies(scouts) The NFL .
If Jon Gruden has the fire in the belly,he will be successful . It is tough to leave a coochy job in the booth of Monday Night football.
The jobs have a solid foundation.Freaking the CB position sort of went to crap.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gruden would definitely be an interesting hire, but is he the right one? Hope the Rams aren't just trying to sell tickets here, because we all know that is a short sighted plan if the head coach and staff are all wrong.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Jon was on Mike & Mike a few minutes ago saying that he is perfectly happy with his current job and has no plans to leave it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubted it too. However, I was talking to Saints fans and they put some stock into the rumors. They're saying that Payton wants a West Coast job and that Jay Glazer is known for being a Payton mouthpiece. We shall see.
Mike Francesca was on WFAN the other day in NY, he's pretty knowledgeable about the inside workings of the NFL. He wasn't making any proclamations, but a caller was asking about what he thinks of Payton, and he said matter of factly that Payton wants the LA Rams job. And he could see it because Benson wants to re-boot. Again, he wasn't leading with this as a story, wasn't making any "breaking news" type deal. He also said along the lines of, who could blame him, owner has money, team has strong core of players etc
Sounded weird to hear him complimentary since all I've heard him say about the Rams lately wasn't complimentary
So I don't think this means its happening, just that it may not be as far fetched as I thought initially either

KOWALSKI

Rookie
jay glazer is the best source for anything nfl.
he is ahead of schefter, silver and ian rap.
breer made an comment about payton too, that he would be already the rams hc if the rams would have sacked fisher last offseason.