Sources: Jon Gruden a focal point in L.A. Rams' coaching search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gruden also said he would listen to offers. Why would you say that, if you had no intention of considering said offer?
Rhetorical answer-
When you are an ego maniac that wants to be courted to further inflate your self worth?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rhetorical answer-
When you are an ego maniac that wants to be courted to further inflate your self worth?
Also negotiating tactic... put it out there in public that you are kinda interested... put the pressure on the Rams to pony up. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mike Francesca was on WFAN the other day in NY, he's pretty knowledgeable about the inside workings of the NFL. He wasn't making any proclamations, but a caller was asking about what he thinks of Payton, and he said matter of factly that Payton wants the LA Rams job. And he could see it because Benson wants to re-boot. Again, he wasn't leading with this as a story, wasn't making any "breaking news" type deal. He also said along the lines of, who could blame him, owner has money, team has strong core of players etc
Sounded weird to hear him complimentary since all I've heard him say about the Rams lately wasn't complimentary
So I don't think this means its happening, just that it may not be as far fetched as I thought initially either

Rams are exhausting the "rockstar" types first. That means Gruden is probably already in talks with them about compensation, and formulating his plan for an interview if they get to that stage. Payton also is going to be in-work at this juncture, I am sure the Rams have already spoken to his agent and the Saints about what a trade would require.

And make no mistake, both these guys want the job. How do I know that? They will be the guy the whole thing is built around, under an owner with deep pockets who does not meddle. In the league's second-biggest market. It is probably going to be the most coveted job in the NFL moving forward, which is good for us. And in Payton's case his daughter going to school in SoCal is a huge factor I am sure in the rumors being true.

Lastly, of the rockstar types Asshole Face is the best possible hire. If Stan pulls something like that off we are in business my friends.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also negotiating tactic... put it out there in public that you are kinda interested... put the pressure on the Rams to pony up. ;)
I want to believe that there is hope here, but I don't see this being a smart tactic. This is a guy who has repeatedly denied the opportunity to coach again, and as much as they need to woo him, they also need to feel that he wants in, all in.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
There really isn't anyone outvthere they can even talk to at the moment. At least as far as NFL coordinators.

Gruden can interview now.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Bring on Peyton, if thats not an option give Shaw the royal treatment

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to believe that there is hope here, but I don't see this being a smart tactic. This is a guy who has repeatedly denied the opportunity to coach again, and as much as they need to woo him, they also need to feel that he wants in, all in.
The #1 rule about negotiations is?
There are no rules :LOL:

We're just on the outside looking in, of course. But I always take reports of who's interested (and how interested they are) with a grain of salt.

So, we're just musing about what's in Gruden's mind... probably silly... but, like I said, I'd take a flyer on him.

The slate is full of all kinds of possibilities... on all levels. So, I'm really happy about that.

I do feel strongly that we need a person who has had established success as a successful HC in the NFL at some point... ideally, a long track record of success (not some super nova crap). The Fisher hire fit some of that, but - if you actually looked under the hood at his record as a HC - it might have given you some hesitation. But, he was a name for sure... learn from that mistake. The new guy has to have a proven record of sustained success.

I think Gruden fits that bill, as does Payton.

I really like Shaw but I get nervous because he has no NFL HC experience.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do feel strongly that we need a person who has had established success as a successful HC in the NFL at some point... ideally, a long track record of success (not some super nova crap). The Fisher hire fit some of that, but - if you actually looked under the hood at his record as a HC - it might have given you some hesitation. But, he was a name for sure... learn from that mistake. The new guy has to have a proven record of sustained success.

I think Gruden fits that bill, as does Payton.

I really like Shaw but I get nervous because he has no NFL HC experience.
I agree with all of this, totally. I don't think Fisher was a "name" coach, I think like you said he checked all the boxes, but sadly the red flags about him pretty much all came with him.

I can get behind the hot coordinator theory but much prefer what you are preaching. I do think the Shanahan situation is an interesting one, as Shanny SR could be vital. Let him take the Dave McGinnis "assistant Head Coach" role while Junior the full fledged HC

Gruden would have been great, and I'd love nothing more than to hear an "I told you so" if Gruden reverses course and signs on