Sources: Jon Gruden a focal point in L.A. Rams' coaching search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

since going 15-4, including the Super Bowl, in his first season with the Bucs, Gruden went 45-53

Since winning the Super Bowl, Tampa Bay is 9-17 in the month of December.

He basically took Tony Dungys team and ran into the ground​

Umm, not exactly true. Tampa was in cap hell and spent the least amount of money of any team from 2004-2009. After the SB win that Dungy would not of won likely because he could not get that offense to do anything, they had two losing season, mostly because of injuries and got them back to 11-5 in 2005 despite losing starting QB Brian Griese who was 5-1 and got injured in week 6. Chris Simms finished the season at 6-4.

Tampa sold out for that SB and Gruden had a couple of down years but got them back in the playoffs in 2 years. Tampas front office traded picks for Gruden and spent money. They could not get away from Dungy fast enough. Gruden was also very gracious in giving Dungy a ton of credit for that SB. Maybe we could get both Dungy and Gruden in LA lol.

Im not a Gruden fan but he has done a pretty good job coaching and has never had a great QB to work with. He got the most out of the like of Rich Gannon, Brian Griese and Jeff Garcia.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Umm, not exactly true. Tampa was in cap hell and spent the least amount of money of any team from 2004-2009. After the SB win that Dungy would not of won likely because he could not get that offense to do anything, they had two losing season, mostly because of injuries and got them back to 11-5 in 2005 despite losing starting QB Brian Griese who was 5-1 and got injured in week 6. Chris Simms finished the season at 6-4.

Tampa sold out for that SB and Gruden had a couple of down years but got them back in the playoffs in 2 years. Tampas front office traded picks for Gruden and spent money. They could not get away from Dungy fast enough. Gruden was also very gracious in giving Dungy a ton of credit for that SB. Maybe we could get both Dungy and Gruden in LA lol.

Im not a Gruden fan but he has done a pretty good job coaching and has never had a great QB to work with. He got the most out of the like of Rich Gannon, Brian Griese and Jeff Garcia.

Good points (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's some truth to that. However, it's also worth pointing out that when Gruden took the job, all parties were aware that the team had basically one season to make a run because cap hell was looming. It's why Bill Parcells turned the job down.

Plus, the Bucs traded 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Gruden IIRC. So they were heading into cap hell and traded a lot of their picks. Can't say it's surprising the team had some rough patches.
Don't let the facts interfere here!
Lol
It was an aging team as well.
He turned Rich Gannon in to Kurt Warner, I wonder what he can do with Goff!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I love Dungy and think he's a great coach and more importantly a great human being. I'd take him any day. But he couldn't get Tampa over the hump. And I never here people say he won in Indy with Jim Mora's team...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, that is something that bodes well for Goff. Gruden got good years out of a lot of different QBs and WRs. I'm just not sure about giving him personnel power.

It's also worth noting that the Bucs finished 9-7 in each of his last two years, but they started 9-5 in 2007 and 9-3 in 2008. In 2007, the Bucs clinched the playoffs and rested their starters the final two games. If they had played their starters, they likely finish 11-5. In 2008, their defense completely imploded over the final 4 games (foreshadowing for the next year when the defense was terrible after Gruden and Kiffin departed). Unfortunately for them, the one game where their defense played well happened to be the game that Jeff Garcia missed with an injury. Their backup QB, Griese, did nothing in that game leading to a 13-10 loss.

I agree with you, Boston. It's hard to blame him too much for his inconsistent tenure in Tampa Bay. That all said, he's not my #1 target.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would love a guy like Gruden coaching Goff.
I have no doubt that Goff's development would be Gruden's #1 priority.
Gruden likes to teach. He gets excited talking about young qb's and he's good at it.
I need more Input !!!

Johnny%205.jpg
I think we need @Selassie I to Interview Warren Sapp, and get his opinion of Gruden!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you, Boston. It's hard to blame him too much for his inconsistent tenure in Tampa Bay. That all said, he's not my #1 target.
Love that
I guess I'm just in a good spot because, (and I get its just rumors), I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the alleged leaders in the race. I'll gladly take Shanny, Cooter, Gruden, Shaw and wouldn't pout if they brought back McD.

FRO

Legend
Gruden has Coach in two SB's Won 1, has Coach two different Teams, in two different Conferences, to very respectable records in doing so! I wouldn't call that overrated! JMHO
I'm only aware of one super bowl.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Come on guys. You can do better than Gruden. Another career .500 guy that rode Dungy's coat tails to the superbowl.
Well, don't forget. Gruden had some very good years in Oakland under an Al Davis run Raider organization. That's not an easy thing to do.
He also brought life into Rich Gannons career.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't want him. I rather we get Asshole Face from the Saints. He's actually produced a hall of fame quarterback and improves offenses dramatically. Our defense is not the problem. If our offense gets going, our defense will get even better because it doesn't have to be on the field as often.
I doubt the Payton talk but we'll see. Sounds like a connect a dot puzzle. I suppose all the stories are to an extent at this point.

Probably the only reason I would want Gruden would be to see the faces he makes on the sideline. Probably not enough to want him as coach of our team though. :cool:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm only aware of one super bowl.
I mixed this up as well.
I kept thinking Gruden took the Raiders to the Superbowl.

Didn't Callahan Take Gruden's Raiders to the Superbowl, the same year Gruden took Dungy's Bucks?

I'm lost

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I mixed this up as well.

Didn't Callahan Take Gruden's Raiders to the Superbowl, the same year Gruden took Dungy's Bucks?

I'm lost
Yes sir. Many people forget that tidbit. Without Gruden knowing that Oakland offense down to the details, I seriously doubt that Superbowl is a blowout. Gruden also had the Raiduhs on the verge of the AFC CG until the "tuck rule" took them out in 2001.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yea, that is something that bodes well for Goff. Gruden got good years out of a lot of different QBs and WRs. I'm just not sure about giving him personnel power.

It's also worth noting that the Bucs finished 9-7 in each of his last two years, but they started 9-5 in 2007 and 9-3 in 2008. In 2007, the Bucs clinched the playoffs and rested their starters the final two games. If they had played their starters, they likely finish 11-5. In 2008, their defense completely imploded over the final 4 games (foreshadowing for the next year when the defense was terrible after Gruden and Kiffin departed). Unfortunately for them, the one game where their defense played well happened to be the game that Jeff Garcia missed with an injury. Their backup QB, Griese, did nothing in that game leading to a 13-10 loss.

Ya, its hard for me to get excited about him and definately not my first choice or second but I cant really say too much bad about his coaching ability. The only thing that would get me a little excited about bring him in is to see what he could do with Goff.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I've stopped reading them. I only read the comments.

haha, I know right?!

I find it hilarious that every article so far has been probably the laziest journalism I've ever seen. None of these guys have any proof of whom the rams are going after just a bunch of speculation. All these guys care about is, 'im first' if their story turns out to be true. To hell with the facts! lol. What a joke.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My big concern with Gruden is giving him personnel power. He always has had an affinity for veteran players and building through FA. I prefer coaches who build a young core and tend to build through the draft.
Yeah - I'd agree that we need to build mostly through the draft. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some WINNING veteran talent brought in through FA. Just not the core.

I don't see Danny Snyder being less of a douche.
Than anyone - you mean?

Plus, the Bucs traded 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Gruden IIRC. So they were heading into cap hell and traded a lot of their picks. Can't say it's surprising the team had some rough patches.
Wow. That's a lot of collateral damage to start off a coaching stint. We already are minus our 1st rounder, and it's one of the reasons I'm not high on the Payton talk.

I suppose if you feel you are that sure of making it to and likely winning a SB, you make that kind of move. I don't see that kind of sell out happening here - especially with Stan.

I've never really been a huge Dungy fan. Liked him. Just didn't think he was a great coach. And now - he just screams "out of touch" to me.

Should have. We should have been playing the Raiduhs in the SB that year if not for one of the worst calls in the history of the playoffs.

All these guys care about is, 'im first' if their story turns out to be true. To hell with the facts! lol. What a joke.
It doesn't seem to matter if their stories are true either. They just keep throwing this crap out there and something is bound to stick at some point.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
After reading more background on gruden, I've warmed to the idea. Given all the circumstances from the tuck rule to the draft situation he did better than I initially thought. I also think he'd be great for goff and would have a good feel for free agency due to time covering games and other analysis work. I felt the same way about vermeil, that his time covering college games would help in player evaluation