Sources: Jon Gruden a focal point in L.A. Rams' coaching search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Of all the rumored targets is there anyone else out there who has developed even one NFL QB? Anyone with successful HC experience?

Payton is not happening it would cost too much draft capital and they are already lean there.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
5859824a93e85164011438.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol
On a side note, these guys are all competitive and stuff.
I wonder if any of them know/care that no HC has won a Superbowl with 2 different teams?
And that said, if there is a "race" to see who does it first?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd love to have him with Williams as DC. We'd win a crap ton of games, and our entire team would be the most fired up team in existence.

It is an advantage with Gruden that he might be willing to consider no changes on defense. I say that based on the way he approached things similarly in Tampa, where they had a better defense granted, but it allowed him to focus primarily on getting that offense rolling quickly.

I personally think we need to move on from Williams, because his defense can never keep it going for a full season. But maybe it needs a real offense on the other side, I'm willing to consider that.

Either way my fear is we hire a guy who wants to overhaul the defense. I don't want to see Donald in a 3-4 playing two-gap. I gotta think that is a big part of all the interviews once they start up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Colin Cowherd just reported he's the number 1 target....It must be true...

As a long time listener, I can say it is surprising how well connect Cowherd is was on his old ESPN show.

However, with the Rams being so new to L.A. it is tough for me to believe there are very many connected people reporting news. I mostly trust the older sources right now. So, if Siciliano or Breer or Glazer, etc...aren't backing it up, I am skeptical.

Bruce2980

Starter
Come on guys. You can do better than Gruden. Another career .500 guy that rode Dungy's coat tails to the superbowl.
Dungy's teams didn't have an offense, but had everything else. Seems that we are in a similar, but much less successful situation. Maybe it would work again.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
It is an advantage with Gruden that he might be willing to consider no changes on defense. I say that based on the way he approached things similarly in Tampa, where they had a better defense granted, but it allowed him to focus primarily on getting that offense rolling quickly.

I personally think we need to move on from Williams, because his defense can never keep it going for a full season. But maybe it needs a real offense on the other side, I'm willing to consider that.

Either way my fear is we hire a guy who wants to overhaul the defense. I don't want to see Donald in a 3-4 playing two-gap. I gotta think that is a big part of all the interviews once they start up.

I disagree. Williams is the reason the Saints won that Superbowl. That offense hasn't been able to make it there since his departure. I played defense my entire life and being as physical as they are, it's hard to keep that up for 16 games when your offense can't give you a break. If we had an offense that could move the ball, the defense stays rested and is less likely to breakdown toward the end of the season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm kind of meh on him... I wouldn't be shocked if he gets the gig, I think the Rams are looking for the splash hire, but at this point I'm meh. At least he's an offensive minded coach, his average across his years coaching (both as a HC and coordinator) was 14th in points, and 5 of those years he was in top 10... In yards he averaged 10th across his 14 years.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...date-search-jeff-fisher-fired-new-next-122016

Rams reportedly set on Jon Gruden as top coaching candidate
Cameron DaSilva

The Rams are predictably interested in Gruden, who’s currently calling Monday Night Football games for ESPN. In fact, they’ve reportedly made him their focal point.

The possibility of Gruden moving to Los Angeles seems very real. He’ll need a substantial amount of money to pull him from the broadcast booth, considering he’s paid very well right now, but the Rams can make that happen. Stan Kroenke is a man with deep pockets and he won’t be afraid to throw his money at a guy with the recognition of Gruden.

Colin Cowherd echoed the same sentiments regarding the Rams’ interest in Gruden on FS1’s “The Herd” Tuesday, saying “this is what I’ve been told for the past week.” Cowherd also believes there would be mutual interest between the two parties.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...ch-focuses-on-jon-gruden-includes-david-shaw/

Jon Gruden and David Shaw are on the Rams’ radar.

The former Raiders coach and current Stanford coach, respectively, are among the top candidates on the Rams’ list for head coaches after the team fired Jeff Fisher last week, Yahoo Sports reports.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Please Baby Jesus 8 lbs 3ozs give us David Shaw or anyone else not named Jon Gruden

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd give him a shot.

Yeah, he's been "out" of football for a few years... but not very far outside of football.

It's not like he was on a deserted island all these years.

He's fiery... he'll hold them accountable... he's knowledgeable and he has NFL HC experience.

Yeah, I'd take a flier on the guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt the Payton talk but we'll see. Sounds like a connect a dot puzzle. I suppose all the stories are to an extent at this point.

Probably the only reason I would want Gruden would be to see the faces he makes on the sideline. Probably not enough to want him as coach of our team though. :cool:

I doubted it too. However, I was talking to Saints fans and they put some stock into the rumors. They're saying that Payton wants a West Coast job and that Jay Glazer is known for being a Payton mouthpiece. We shall see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please Baby Jesus 8 lbs 3ozs give us David Shaw or anyone else not named Jon Gruden

Well, the funny thing is (funny to football nerds like me) that David Shaw actually came up under Jon Gruden and runs a variant of Gruden's WCO.

Zero

Pro Bowler
If the video below is true,It is a sad situation.I'm not talking about the fact that they are targeting
Gruden.He may turn out to be great.I'm talking about the reasoning behind it.
Guess I am just being naive to believe good football is priority one with our team.

View: https://youtu.be/M0x3TfiOUcs

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I don't dislike Gruden, but I don't get the love for the insane word salad verbage he uses for the WCO. We already have guys that have trouble learning offenses here, I cringe to think of them having to translate Gruden's play calls. He would be an "exciting" hire, but a bit of a head scratcher for me. I'd support him 100% if he got the job though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm actually warming to Chucky... I mean you can't ignore what he did for Rich Gannon. And he's a coach who doesn't ignore the D.

But what worries me about a HC who wants total personnel control is that whomever runs the scouting/pro personnel depts will be this guy:
tumblr_l8ecl8uI3u1qzm5jto1_1280.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Some You Tube comments from this video...
The return of Chucky

GrudenVsChucky3.jpg

---------
Spider 2 Y Banana for a TD thrown by Goff to win SB 53
----------
Jon Gruden is Legit, high iq, and Charismatic.
-----------
i hope this happens as a ram fan
---------
I love hearing Jon gruden talk football on MNF and I do believe rams got the players for gruden to be a good team.
--------
Chucky would fit great in lala land. if he wins, the rams can win their fans back. los angeles supports teams but they have to compete.
--------
Good move. Hope he can get Romo from Dallas so he can have a legit QB. Goff isn't ready yet. Build up that O-Line and they could contend soon
--------
The Rams better put some serious money on the table then. Gruden is the highest paid ESPN employee right now so it's gonna take some cheddar
---------
always thought Jon Gruden was overrated as an Nfl Head Coach, he won with the Bucs because of their elite defensive personnel which he inherited from Tony Dungy the famous Tampa 2 scheme developed by Monte Kiffin,

When it was time for him to put his imprint on the team they were pretty mediocre as Brooks, Sapp, Rice, Barber began to age and left, the offense never really got off the ground, he blew Top 5 picks on Cadillac Williams and Gaines Adams (RIP),

hes supposed to be some QB guru and yet didnt see anything special in Aaron Rodgers when he passed on him in the draft after his SB winning season the team was just below .500 (45-51) made the playoffs twice and lost in the wildcard game hes an excellent analyst, very knowledgeable, but i dont see what the big fuss on him is about
---------
he's better than Fischer though
--------
It's gonna be Saban. He's gonna win the College NC and accept the LA Offer afterwards.
--------
Nick Saban is a great college coach and he knows that. His coaching style isn't for grown men and this is the NFL with a draft. He can't go stack his teams with 5 star players like he can at Bama.
-------
You got to believe Gruden wants to escape the boring MNF broadcast. That Sean dude puts me to sleep. His boring delivery kind of drags Chuckie's color commentating down. Gruden would be a good choice. Colin is right, the LA market needs a star.
---------
I think it's a great idea he gets strong pieces in areas he's not confident or great in and gets a decent offense
---------
I don't see Gruden going to the Rams, I could however see Gruden bolt ESPN for Fox Sports or FS1. If he gets enough money, Gruden could be heading to Los Angeles or take over the top spot for Fox NFL Game of the Week.
---------
Sorry Rams fans future is not bright for you. They can get Bill Belichick and he wouldn't be able to help when owners priorities are not SB's but shiny stadium and revenue.
---------
Stan is going all in on LA. Moving, paying for the stadium himself, media attention, trading up for Jared Goff, finally firing Fisher, and now paying whatever it amounts to get the right guy on the sideline.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I don't dislike Gruden, but I don't get the love for the insane word salad verbage he uses for the WCO. We already have guys that have trouble learning offenses here, I cringe to think of them having to translate Gruden's play calls. He would be an "exciting" hire, but a bit of a head scratcher for me. I'd support him 100% if he got the job though.
Great point 46.If I am not mistaken the terminology will be similar to ours.
I am thinking we kept the Schottenheimer terminology when he left even
though we run a bastardized version of the WC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, it's annoying. Nice thing is that we already have that overly complicated crap in our offense. Well, not the nice thing. But at least it'll make the transition easier if we go that direction.