Rams future QB situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd take whoever has the better arm between Winston and Mariota and we restructure Bradford to start. Then we draft two straight OL'man
Arm strength might be the most overrated QB characteristic there is. Why do you feel so strongly about arm strength?

lockdnram21

Legend
Has anybody been watching college football? whos some names to watch out for beides mariota and winston

LooNaTik83

Yes.

Winston is going to be a star. His combination of mental and physical tools is rare.

Make a new post about this. "Will Jameis Winston Become a Star?". Lets all get votes from different perspectives.

LooNaTik83

Has anybody been watching college football? whos some names to watch out for beides mariota and winston

College Football is becoming as tainted as the NFL. Be careful of what your viewing. And knowing that your member: 666. Damn. What should I believe?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Make a new post about this. "Will Jameis Winston Become a Star?". Lets all get votes from different perspectives.

Yea, I'll pass. I don't much care about what other people believe. I evaluate players based on my own observations.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Arm strength might be the most overrated QB characteristic there is. Why do you feel so strongly about arm strength?

Honestly, because I watched Davis live today. Had a steady breeze and that baby was floating.

Mariota and Winston are similiar QB's. Fisher is most generally good with character challenged players. So I'll let arm strength decide my vote. My money is on Winston. Winston it is! Go Rams!

Love this team

V3

Hall of Fame
College Football is becoming as tainted as the NFL. Be careful of what your viewing. And knowing that your member: 666. Damn. What should I believe?
Some biblical scholars believe the number of the beast is actually 616, not 666.

Just sayin'.

LooNaTik83

I don't take the bible literal even though its considered as literature. That would only be true if everyone was to take the bible literally.

Now this isn't a religious debate. I made a joke about a far-fetched vision about Mariota and Winston. Unless your a prophet then you wouldn't know how these two individuals would produce in the NFL. Simple. Unless there is a modus operandi?

Last edited by a moderator:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Some biblical scholars believe the number of the beast is actually 616, not 666.

Just sayin'.

OT - Really? I haven't heard that. What makes them think that? An early mistake in translation from Hebrew to Greek or Greek to Latin? I'd be interested to see the research if you've got a link. Or I'll just google it...

On Topic - We are in a nasty position. In my humble opinion, and I don't mean to say anything bad about AD personally, but he isn't the QBOTF - he just hasn't got the tools. Other than that, we have a top talent QB in Sam Bradford with the ability to be one of the best in the league - but he's coming off 2 ACLs. 2! 2 years in a row he's missed the season. Finally, we are likely to be drafting outside the top 5 - so we likely cant get one of the most talented (or hyped if you will) QB' coming out - none of whom have the ability that SB has anyway (except maybe Jameis Winston - and there are doubts about his character!) - so we have to trade up - but we cant because we've got 3 holes to fill on our 0ffensive line in LG (because Long is done and GRob moves out to Tackle), RG because Saffold is ALWAYs hurt, and C because Scott Wells is declining rapidly.

So in summary - our only hope could be Sam Bradford coming back healthy and playing at a high level and I know a lot of people simply can't trust that he's going to be healthy given the ACL's. Or we're in big trouble as a franchise. It kills me because we've assembled a lot of talent in other places and we needed a couple of pieces to fall into place (QB mainly) and we'd be competing next year for playoff football - another first round pick on a lineman etc and we'd have been there.

AZRamsFan93

Maybe we should draft 7 different QBs. That way when we give up on the next guy we got a head start on doing it all over again.
Where is it written that drafting a QB means we give up on our current QB? If we draft a linebacker does that mean we have given up on our current linebackers? We need more talent at QB. Davis is not enough, Bradford can't be counted on, and Hill is not the future. Draft a young QB early and improve the level of talent at the most important position on the team.

AZRamsFan93

@Prime Time ...too funny...Looks like Sammy wants to play...you see how he looks on the sideline....I want Sam to start next year, no way a Rookie gets this Schotty offense in one offseason...If he does, we should start him just on that alone....you don't need much of an ACL to walk...Getting up outta chairs and beds may be a lil difficult...(y);)
And we thought Bradford was a statue before...

Best wishes to Sam. He should not be a part of the Rams plan going forward.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I want to see a stats comparison for Bradford from last year, and Davis after todays game. Both will have 6.5 games played at this point, I'm curious to see how they stack up.

And I agree Davis isn't the main problem, our defense is bad, and our Oline is bad now.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
And we thought Bradford was a statue before...

Best wishes to Sam. He should not be a part of the Rams plan going forward.

That's only one opinion. The other opinion says he's a talented kid and is due a run of good health. If he DOES get healthy theu dont hn the league will have to watch out for him. The thinking here is that no one else gives us a better chance to win - and it solves a problem because you can then use premium picks to address the other glaring holes on this team. Its maybe wishful thinking but its still our best chance IMHO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yes.

Winston is going to be a star. His combination of mental and physical tools is rare.

He's known for his excellent decisions. Exactly what this franchise needs, the one guy who can make the perception of our team worse than it already is.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
three injured starters on the o line and we go through quarterbacks like water and we're still talking about quarterbacks ... Sigh

AZRamsFan93

three injured starters on the o line and we go through quarterbacks like water and we're still talking about quarterbacks ... Sigh
I guess you think we can only draft one position next year? No way we can draft QB and offensive line?

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess you think we can only draft one position next year? No way we can draft QB and offensive line?

Call me crazy but I think the Rams will be drafting a QB in the next Draft but in my very humble & personal opinion when they draft one all depends on who is
available when they pick. I don't think they will reach for a QB in the 1st (or, any) round just because they need or want a QB. And, if I am wrong and Austin
Davis plays really well the rest of this season and proves to the Rams he is their QB of the future then I will be thrilled (I want him to do well!) and I will be very, very happy to admit I was wrong (won't be the 1st time and unfortunately it won't be the last time) and the Rams can scratch the QB position off their 2015 Draft Wish List.

AZRamsFan93

Call me crazy but I think the Rams will be drafting a QB in the next Draft but in my very humble & personal opinion when they draft one all depends on who is
available when they pick. I don't think they will reach for a QB in the 1st (or, any) round just because they need or want a QB. And, if I am wrong and Austin
Davis plays really well the rest of this season and proves to the Rams he is their QB of the future then I will be thrilled (I want him to do well!) and I will be very, very happy to admit I was wrong (won't be the 1st time and unfortunately it won't be the last time) and the Rams can scratch the QB position off their 2015 Draft Wish List.
I think they need to draft QB regardless. Davis will need a backup even if he is the guy.

rams2050

Starter
I would like to read the posts from prior to this year's draft and even the past several drafts concerning WHICH particular QB some of our more 'verbal' members have endorsed. I'm not singling out jrry32, BUT since he has opined for Winston as a future star QB, who in the past has jrry32 THOUGHT would be a star QB and did that prophecy come to fruition?

I searched for all of jrry32's old posts, but there are only 10 pages of posts dating only to late August so there is no way to know for certain if he has that certain 'IT' factor that can pick out a star QB better than the NFL coaching staffs in general.

All I know is that there have been posts after posts after posts for as long as I've been a member of the various football forums from supposed 'QB savants' (and I'm not including jrry32 in this observation, even though I used him as an example) who have been absolutely, positively CERTAIN that QB X or QB Y would be a Freakin' NFL STAR!! Locker, McCoy, Russell, Geno Smith, Manziel (who, I admit, may still amaze), Bridgewater, Bortles, Gabbert, Clausen, etc., etc., etc. The ONLY bona fide star -- who was prophesied as being one PRIOR to taking the field -- in the past several years , has been Andrew Luck and, perhaps, to a lesser extent, due to injuries, Bradford and Griffen. I guess Cam Newton is also a star, but then there is the epic fail of the Titan's highly-sought-after QB, whose name escapes me now. Mark Sanchez, anyone? The Mannings have been stellar, I admit, but drafting ANY QB with one's Number 1 pick is a crap shoot, pure and simple. Draft a Number 1 with character issues, no matter how talented that individual may be, and a team is just asking, no, make that BEGGING, for TROUBLE!

There are no seers with an unblemished track record when it comes to deciding who will be the NEXT BIG THING as an NFL QB.

I believe we are better off, for the time being, sticking with what we've got -- Davis -- and trying to build a decent supporting cast around him to SEE if he can develop into the real thing. I am not convinced that he is incapable of doing so. From my perspective, Davis -- who went undrafted -- has done far better than many of the more highly sought after QB prospects who WERE drafted, which only proves to me that most people -- even NFL coaches and GMs -- are as incapable of making a GOOD QB choice as I AM.