Rams future QB situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
thats the only option unless we keep losing. i would say trade up and get Winston or Mariota. we are a Qb anda couple line man away. The defense will be fine once Long,Johnson, and Jenkins come back.
We're more than a couple lineman and a QB away, IMO. Also, trade-ups almost never work and when they don't, they set the franchise back years. I would rather they take a chance on a QB in the 2nd round than trade up.

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
We're more than a couple lineman and a QB away, IMO. Also, trade-ups almost never work and when they don't, they set the franchise back years. I would rather they take a chance on a QB in the 2nd round than trade up.
And being more than a couple of lineman and a QB away from being good is unacceptable, With the current coaching staff we have we need about 6-8 new starters just to be respectable.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I honestly don't think the Rams will lose enough to get one of the top QB's. That's how Fisher's teams work. I sure as hell don't want to trade up for a QB, either. This is why I wanted the Rams to trade down from #2 this past draft to get an extra first rounder this next draft.
Really? You don't think 5-11 will do it?

V3

Hall of Fame

Not with teams like TB, Tennessee, and even Oakland(wouldn't put it past them to take another QB) that will have worse records than us.

I STILL get pissed about blocking that FG against the Browns a few years ago that would have given us the top pick and Andrew Luck.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think we're seeing why Davis was undrafted and never made a gameday roster before this season.

He pleasantly surprised us with his moxy. He's a competitor. But he does have limitations. And the rest of the team makes it impossible for someone like him to succeed.

We're not likely to draft Winston. We'll win a couple more which likely puts us out of the top 3. I think you have to be top 3 to draft Winston. Might as well try to improve the talent level for the future and use free agency for the short term.

And the short term is crucial to Fisher and Snead. Another season like this one next year and I don't think they survive it.

I'm not calling for anyone's head but I have to think that a couple more GAMES like this and they may not survive it. I would like to see some stability in our coaching staff but this was just a really poor showing and it didn't look like any aspect of our game was run well. Not sure you can pin much of this on Davis when you look at the play calling and the play of the O-line. He may not have helped himself much but the play calling was almost a direct opposite of what we saw last week and we KNEW how good their defensive line was.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I know I will get BLASTED for saying this and be labeled a disgruntled/pessimistic/unloyal fan (But, I have been a Rams fan through the good times and bad times for over 50 years BUT yes these poor effort/coaching games STILL get to me!) but right now I think 5-11 might be pretty optimistic for the Rams this season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It doesn't matter who we draft or sign as a QB in free agency for next season as long as the O-line can't block for him. You can have Brady or Manning in their prime back there and it will still be a disaster.

So true, but I believe a QB needs to be drafted...not sure when, but I'd guess the top 3 rounds...probably the 1st if it's a top 5 pick....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
So true, but I believe a QB needs to be drafted...not sure when, but I'd guess the top 3 rounds...probably the 1st if it's a top 5 pick....

I'm not that sold on any of the college QB's so far. Either they're..meh..and have a clean background or they look great on the field but are potential screwups away from the field. Watched Christian Hackenberg last night and he isn't any more impressive than Austin Davis. I would rather use the first 3 rounds of the draft plus some free agents to once and for all solidify the O-line.

V3

Hall of Fame
7 sacks, and we're still ta we about quarterbacks?

o line
O-line, for sure, but QB is also a MAJOR issue. If you don't have a top QB in the NFL, you won't go far unless your D is elite(ours isn't).

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I have said it several times.

The Rams QB of the future is not on this roster, not yet.

You can draft OL in the later rounds. Yes, you need to fix lots of things on this team, but QB is at the top of that list.
I just hope we don't draft another 1st round QB only to ruin him with a poor supporting cast.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know I will get BLASTED for saying this and be labeled a disgruntled/pessimistic/unloyal fan (But, I have been a Rams fan through the good times and bad times for over 50 years BUT yes these poor effort/coaching games STILL get to me!) but right now I think 5-11 might be pretty optimistic for the Rams this season.
I feel yuh man. Hard not to be disgruntled/pessimistic about the rest of the season. I just don't know which team is going to show up and even if the good Rams show up, will it be enough to win a game. The Rams SHOULD win at least two of the remaining games handily. But with the way they played today, WA and OAK are both toss ups and the Giants game now looks doubtful.

I too have been a Ram fan for many many years (since the 60s) through good and bad and I'm wondering if 4-12 isn't optimistic. This is really sad. I will of course go into the SF game though, thinking with my heart instead of my brain and believing we somehow have a chance to win. A lot changes with me from Sunday after a loss to Sunday before the game starts.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah, sadly I don't think Austin Davies is truly the answer as our starting QB next year. He's got some things I like about him, but he's not the real deal. It showed today. EVEN under pressure from a bad OL most of the game, a LOT of the throwing decisions he made today were really bad. Also he's afraid to run for yardage.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
O-line, for sure, but QB is also a MAJOR issue. If you don't have a top QB in the NFL, you won't go far unless your D is elite(ours isn't).
ok, sure but you draft another QB and get him killed?

how many injured quarterbacks before you take care of the offensive line?

and at this point the last thing you want is another rookie .

a pick on a QB is a total waste at this point

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Not being ignorant, and don't want to waste time trying to research it, but can someone please tell me how many QBs drafted in the first round have had hugely successful careers. I thought I heard Terry Bradshaw say, a couple years ago, it was very low. I think he went on to say most QBs having great careers were drafted in the 2nd-4th rounds. We still have a bunch of holes to fill, and there may be some dead weight needing to be trimmed. Yes, our current QB situation is a huge concern, but I really don't want us to spend our first round pick on another QB. IMO, the best scenario is to re-structure SB's contract and draft a QB in the 2nd-3rd round. If he's unwilling to restructure, then unfortunately we need to cut ties. I hate saying it, but SB is a liability and the probability of him completing a full season, let alone many, is highly doubtful. Add to it 2 surgeries to repair the same knee and it does not bode well for him. This just plain sucks! This franchise seems to be snake bitten.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
This game was very much Davis' fault as much as the o-line. He had opportunities to make a play here and there to extend the drive but he missed them. He doesn't seem very clutch at all.