Rams future QB situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they need to draft QB regardless. Davis will need a backup even if he is the guy.

I agree with you but I guess there is a possibility if Davis does keep the starting QB position that the Rams backup could be Shaun Hill, Garrett Gilbert or even Sam Bradford (IF, he agrees to take a HUGE pay cut which I think is very unlikely and I don't think he would be real excited about backing up Davis unless of course the Rams let him keep his current salary). But, I just don't see this scenario happening! I still think it will either be Bradford (if he can convince the Rams that he is healthy) or another veteran QB via trade or free agency or a Drafted QB (Again, this is just my personal opinion and there are many Rams fans on this Board that know a lot more than I do). And, I do think like you said the Rams will be drafting a QB somewhere in next year's draft.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think the chances of us having a successful QB next year is as likely with a veteran looking for a shot like Cardinals era Warner or McCown for the Bears last year as it is with a rookie. Either way, since our QB situation is unsettled anyway, 2015 would be the time to look for a new OC. Oline help from G/Ts picks such as Martin or our Robinson, plus a new OC is going to matter more to the success of 2015's QB than the actual QB himself, IMO.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Has anybody been watching college football? whos some names to watch out for beides mariota and winston
I like Patrick Towles of Kentucky. He probably won't declare for the draft this year. If his receivers were more consistent catching the football, Kentucky would have knocked off #1 Mississippi State. He's fearless in the pocket, has a big arm, and big body. He's 6'5" and probably 230-240 range. If he declared for the draft this year, he might rise like Bortles... but given that Mariotta and Winston are probably declaring, it's less likely. Plus he went to Kentucky and their players always get drafted later than they should, for example Larry Warford, Randall Cobb, and Danny Trevathon.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This is cart before horse topic IMO we have no business drafting or spending FA resources on a QB before you have a OL to protect him. Subpar OL's hurt veterans and can destroy the psyche or Injure young QB's. Build from the front back. I am not opposed to a BPA QB later in the draft if FA and early picks have addressed holes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus he went to Kentucky and their players always get drafted later than they should, for example Larry Warford, Randall Cobb, and Danny Trevathon.
Tim Couch and Donnie Avery have something to say about that...

I like the kid a lot. I could see him having a Bortles type post season campaign

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I guess you think we can only draft one position next year? No way we can draft QB and offensive line?
I am absolutely saying that it would be a waste. I'm saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. I've been saying that we need a linebacker more.

But let the QB obsession continue. It is after all the only position that the media knows.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Tim Couch and Donnie Avery have something to say about that...

I like the kid a lot. I could see him having a Bortles type post season campaign
Don't you mean Keenan Burton? Donnie Avery went to Houston.

Tim Couch has a pretty good life... aside from the NFL stuff. He has a hot wife and a lot of money.

AZRamsFan93

I am absolutely saying that it would be a waste. I'm saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. I've been saying that we need a linebacker more.

But let the QB obsession continue. It is after all the only position that the media knows.
I will take your last comment as a thinly veiled slam at anyone who disagrees with your position. I am not obsessed. I am not the meda. I disagree with you, but I am not accusing you of having a mental disease because you don't want a QB.

Let's at least try to keep it civil on this board. There is room for both opinions in fandom of the Rams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't you mean Keenan Burton? Donnie Avery went to Houston.

Tim Couch has a pretty good life... aside from the NFL stuff. He has a hot wife and a lot of money.
Haha, my bad. Keenan Burton.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Austin Davis isn't developing. He went completely backwards. The guy doesn't seem to be capable of adjusting during the games. What he did against Seattle is what he should have done today. KC took away the deep ball. Get the ball out of your hands quickly and hit your WRs, TEs, and HBs underneath to give them a chance for YAC. Instead, he opted to just throw it deep blindly. If they're covering well man to man, break contain and scramble for yardage. Some of the blame lies on Schotty for a bad game-plan but Davis didn't execute at all today.

Some of the blame lies on Shotty? Do you really believe that they're giving AD any say on what plays are being called? He's not Brett Favre designing plays in the dirt and doing whatever he wants. How about if Schottenheimer calls some screen plays or maybe 3-step drops that get the ball out quickly and negates the pass rush?

Schottenheimer is beginning to remind me of Mike Martz, without the brilliance of course, who didn't care if the QB got killed as long as the team racked up lots of points and looked good doing it. Absolutely no NFL QB past or present will look competent with a decimated O-line and the goofy plays that are being sent in by our OC. Throw in the fact that AD has only started 6 games in his NFL career and none of us should be shocked by what we're seeing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't know if Austin Davis is the answer yet or what his ceiling is, but I think there is a lot of overreaction based on yesterday's game (which thankfully, I did not see and about which I have only read the horror stories). From what I have read, the offensive line was atrocious, even before the injuries threw gas on that fire, with even the normally consistent Barksdale having a bad game.

And while I respect jrry's opinion greatly with regard to player evaluation, I'm going to respectfully disagree with the opinion that Davis is not developing. First of all, the common denominator with this game and the 49er game was OL play so bad that it would make any QB look bad, and from what I have read about yesterday, it was bad enough that Bradford was probably glad he was on the sidelines. Throw in bad game planning, an injury to a key WR with none of the others getting open, and you have a recipe for a QB who looks bad irrespective of how much talent he has.

You also have to remember that Davis is a de facto rookie, with only 6.5 games of NFL experience under his belt, and that development of a QB is not always a straight line progression. There will be fits and starts and setbacks, particularly on days like yesterday when the team around him falls apart. Still, Davis has shown ability to learn from his mistakes. It may take a few bumps in the road, but from what I've seen of him thus far, I don't believe he'll keep making the same mistakes again and again. I'll certainly take the play of Davis at this point over the play of Bortles or Bridgewater, two highly touted rookies, and certainly over the non-play of Johnny Football.

The team around him must, absolutely MUST play better. And Schotty has to do a better job game planning and play calling, he needs to learn to get into the flow of a game. On those points, I'm not as confident. That's where I worry about him.

More than anything, once and for freakin' all we must fix the OL. This has been a problem for years with the Rams, and it's time to put more draft capital into and continue until we get it right. Bad OL play has plagued Bradford his entire career, even if that itself wasn't the reason for his knee injuries. And in at least two of the losses this year, bad OL play has plagued Davis. If we draft another QB high and expect him to be a savior without fixing the OL, we're going to be having this same conversation again next year, and the year after, etc. etc. etc.

goldenram

UDFA
Here is the 2013 and 2014 QB Draft. Who is a Star? Who would have been our savior with our OC, behind this OLine. and with this Defense? AD with a little protection has the ability to be good. We have worse problems than QB.
One player isn't going to fix this team.....

2013 Drafted Quarterbacks
NAMEPOSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM
EJ ManuelQBFlorida State116(16)Buffalo
Geno SmithQBWest Virginia27(39)NY Jets
Mike GlennonQBNorth Carolina State311(73)Tampa Bay
Matt BarkleyQBUSC41(98)Philadelphia
Ryan NassibQBSyracuse413(110)NY Giants
Tyler WilsonQBArkansas415(112)Oakland
Landry JonesQBOklahoma418(115)Pittsburgh
Brad SorensenQBSouthern Utah715(221)San Diego
Zac DysertQBMiami (OH)728(234)Denver
B.J. DanielsQBSOUTH FLORIDA731(237)San Francisco
Sean RenfreeQBDuke743(249)Atlanta
2014 Drafted Quarterbacks
NAME POSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM
Blake BortlesQBUCF13(3)Jacksonville
Johnny ManzielQBTexas A&M122(22)Cleveland
Teddy BridgewaterQBLouisville132(32)Minnesota
Derek CarrQBFresno State24(36)Oakland
Jimmy GaroppoloQBEastern Illinois230(62)New England
Logan ThomasQBVirginia Tech420(120)Arizona
Tom SavageQBPittsburgh435(135)Houston
Aaron MurrayQBGeorgia523(163)Kansas City
AJ McCarronQBAlabama524(164)Cincinnati
Zach MettenbergerQBLSU62(178)Tennessee
David FalesQBSan Jose State67(183)Chicago
Keith WenningQBBall State618(194)Baltimore
Tajh BoydQBClemson637(213)NY Jets
Garrett GilbertQBSouthern Methodist638(214)St. Louis

jjab360

Legend
Here is the 2013 and 2014 QB Draft. Who is a Star? Who would have been our savior with our OC, behind this OLine. and with this Defense? AD with a little protection has the ability to be good. We have worse problems than QB.
One player isn't going to fix this team.....

2013 Drafted Quarterbacks
NAMEPOSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM
EJ ManuelQBFlorida State116(16)Buffalo
Geno SmithQBWest Virginia27(39)NY Jets
Mike GlennonQBNorth Carolina State311(73)Tampa Bay
Matt BarkleyQBUSC41(98)Philadelphia
Ryan NassibQBSyracuse413(110)NY Giants
Tyler WilsonQBArkansas415(112)Oakland
Landry JonesQBOklahoma418(115)Pittsburgh
Brad SorensenQBSouthern Utah715(221)San Diego
Zac DysertQBMiami (OH)728(234)Denver
B.J. DanielsQBSOUTH FLORIDA731(237)San Francisco
Sean RenfreeQBDuke743(249)Atlanta
2014 Drafted Quarterbacks
NAME POSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM
Blake BortlesQBUCF13(3)Jacksonville
Johnny ManzielQBTexas A&M122(22)Cleveland
Teddy BridgewaterQBLouisville132(32)Minnesota
Derek CarrQBFresno State24(36)Oakland
Jimmy GaroppoloQBEastern Illinois230(62)New England
Logan ThomasQBVirginia Tech420(120)Arizona
Tom SavageQBPittsburgh435(135)Houston
Aaron MurrayQBGeorgia523(163)Kansas City
AJ McCarronQBAlabama524(164)Cincinnati
Zach MettenbergerQBLSU62(178)Tennessee
David FalesQBSan Jose State67(183)Chicago
Keith WenningQBBall State618(194)Baltimore
Tajh BoydQBClemson637(213)NY Jets
Garrett GilbertQBSouthern Methodist638(214)St. Louis
I was a Carr fan last year, but we were never in position to grab him unfortunately.

V3

Hall of Fame
This is cart before horse topic IMO we have no business drafting or spending FA resources on a QB before you have a OL to protect him. Subpar OL's hurt veterans and can destroy the psyche or Injure young QB's. Build from the front back. I am not opposed to a BPA QB later in the draft if FA and early picks have addressed holes.
If a franchise QB is there for the taking, you take him. It's a hell of a lot harder to find an elite QB than good OGs and Cs. If you're that worried about ruining the rookie QB, then sit him for a year so they have extra time to fix the line and he becomes comfortable with the new offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's known for his excellent decisions. Exactly what this franchise needs, the one guy who can make the perception of our team worse than it already is.

Who cares about the perception of our team if we're winning? I don't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of the blame lies on Shotty? Do you really believe that they're giving AD any say on what plays are being called? He's not Brett Favre designing plays in the dirt and doing whatever he wants. How about if Schottenheimer calls some screen plays or maybe 3-step drops that get the ball out quickly and negates the pass rush?

Schottenheimer is beginning to remind me of Mike Martz, without the brilliance of course, who didn't care if the QB got killed as long as the team racked up lots of points and looked good doing it. Absolutely no NFL QB past or present will look competent with a decimated O-line and the goofy plays that are being sent in by our OC. Throw in the fact that AD has only started 6 games in his NFL career and none of us should be shocked by what we're seeing.

I'll review the game when I have a chance but I don't believe Schotty is 100% to blame for it. I think Davis got over-aggressive...just like he did against SF...when he started to get rattled by pressure and the team fell behind and just started throwing the ball up.

WvuIN02

Starter
Winston would have this team contending in two years. I live down here in Florida and have seen his games and he's the real deal.

You can mature in a proper setting, you cant magically have the tools to be an elite NFL QB. Winston has all the tools you would want physically and mentally, on the football field. He's just got a 10cent head off of it. Fisher and Snead can take care of that, and St Louis is not like being in Miami or NYC.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'll review the game when I have a chance but I don't believe Schotty is 100% to blame for it. I think Davis got over-aggressive...just like he did against SF...when he started to get rattled by pressure and the team fell behind and just started throwing the ball up.

Oh, I totally agree that AD should receive some of the blame. I saw two plays were he could have run for a first down but froze instead. Then there were other times where he threw foolish passes or missed seeing wide open receivers.

It's the job of the OC and QB coach to not only train him properly but to come up with a game plan that fits his particular strengths and weaknesses.

This is a problem that many OC's and DC's have. They try to fit their players around their scheme instead of coming up with a scheme suited to the players they have. I just hope that AD doesn't get injured or gets that "glare in the headlights" look that Marc Bulger eventually got.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I agree with everyone else who is saying to fix the Oline. I still have faith that with a good Oline Davis can be a pretty good QB. We have seen evidence of that this season when the line plays well and gives him time. What I believe will happen is that we will be going into 2015 with Davis as the starter and anyone else on the roster will have to try to win the job from him. At this point, I am not wanting Bradford back. I think it would be best for both parties for him to start fresh in another city. I don't think the Rams will have the best Oline for him to play behind coming off of 2 surgeries. We need to start getting players here who can consistently stay on the field. Long, Wells and Bradford should go in my opinion. Saffold is starting to scare me now since we just resigned him. If there is a QB there for the taking in the draft, then take him. I don't want the Rams to do any trade ups.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
O-Line must be addressed, but the need for a competent QB is so obvious....it's not even funny....we get another OG & RT...just keep plugging away with 3rd & 4th round linemen...I say QB & MLB should be our top two targets....