“Our $6 billion stadium” the story.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love how they throw that big number around and don't come right out and say it's for the entire development not just for the stadium :D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
^ This.

Which is why I can't for the life of me understand why the NFL/Refs as a unit go out of their way to SCREW us (like all 10 50/50 judgement calls -- including the game winner -- going against the Rams in the Steelers game).

You'd think they'd at least land on FAIR officiating, which would put us at 8-2.

Yes, I was at the Hawks TNF game this year, and even though GZ missed the game winner, the Rams should never have been in that position with the key roughing the passer penalties they gifted RW.

So this is the quick and easy solution.
  • Call the games fairly instead of trying to make up for the NFCC last season
  • The Rams will win a few Super Bowls
  • The Rams'll be in play along with Lakers/Dodgers/Kings and their championships
  • NFL wins $$$
Simple, right? :)

Just give up the "refs are fucking us" it's the LAMEST shit .Ever. As. In. Alll. Time.

STAHP!!!

Does anyone hear the sound of a Chargers bankruptcy in the next 2 years?

Mkay, maybe you aren't up to speed.

The NFL is set up to make sure EVERY team is really, really, really profitable. As in tens of millions per year.

Now factor in that Spanos get revenues from the new stadium in MAJOR ways for ONE DOLLAR PER YEAR.

And you see the franchise going bankrupt in two years?

Are you fucking kidding me????? That franchise will be making record profits in two years.

LOL..........$1..........LOL

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s because it is only for the stadium
Except it isn't. From the article:

The $5 billion-plus project will feature a translucent roof that appears to hover above the stadium, as if allowing it to breathe, and will be home to 298 acres of retail space, including a theater, a concert venue and a new NFL Media headquarters.

People keep throwing around that number for just the stadium but the whole project is being done. The article even mentions the other things involved in the cost then goes on to gloss over the total project is in the figure.

fearsomefour

Legend
The owners are lost about what fans want. It's not the fanciness of the stadium that attracts us is it? It's not for me. As long as I'm not going to get stabbed and the stadium is clean. I'm pretty much good. What draws me in is a quality team that is competitive and in the hunt for a trophy. Cause at the end of the day a 5 billion stadium will be mostly empty without a winner.
The truth.

fearsomefour

Legend
Just send them back to San Diego and build a new stadium there, keep Spanos in the shadows where he belongs and be happy that a beautiful city can be used for Super Bowls. They don’t work in LA
Can do a joint venture with San Diego State or the location of the old Sports Arena.
Build a 50,000 seater.

oldnotdead

Legend
Mkay, maybe you aren't up to speed.

The NFL is set up to make sure EVERY team is really, really, really profitable. As in tens of millions per year.

Uh Huh and the Chargers still owe the NFL $365M for relocation fee and they owe Stan a lot more than that.

Well for $1 he gets a 15% take in LA stadium revenue streams while the value of his team appreciates by $462 million. Not dumb.

Yeah dumb because the last I heard 100% of the revenue from football operations is better than 15%. It's going to cost him hundreds of millions to the NFL and to Kroenke. They can't even sell PSL's which means their seats will go to bulk buyers and sold to opposition fans. Kind of hard to estimate what you will get in terms of sales, 30-50? Heck they can't even fill the soccer stadium even with all the opposition fans. They never sold less than 50K in tickets even when they were 1-15. Their average was 65K per game with most being sellouts of 70K+. The value of the franchise would have increased close to or as much as it has in LA without the debt.

Without a fan base no team is viable over the long term. Dean Spanos may not want to sell the team but he might not have a choice. This is the price the NFL is paying for ignoring LA and allowing a generation of fans to grow up without a hometown team.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

People keep throwing around that number for just the stadium but the whole project is being done. The article even mentions the other things involved in the cost then goes on to gloss over the total project is in the figure.

LOL at anyone thinking a stadium will cost $5-6 billion.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He certainly got the deal of a lifetime.

$1 a year for what he's getting?

Kroenke gave up too much to close the deal.

I don't know why you think he will lose the "free lunches". He's got a contract. And he's got NFL revenues. He's making more than he would have in SD I bet.

This isn't table scraps, he's in line to make MAJOR cheddar.

Not the kind of cheddar a real NFL owner would expect. Especially an owner of a team in Los Angeles. 15%.... LOL.

He's more desperate than that woman who used to "own" the Rams. Hahahhahahahahahaaa

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
LOL at anyone thinking a stadium will cost $5-6 billion.

I NEVER heard that # for the stadium only...The amount I seem to recall was 2.6 billion I believe...I could've wrong, certainly...I too would like to see what a $5 billion stadium would like

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Does anyone hear the sound of a Chargers bankruptcy in the next 2 years? This is what I've been talking about. Spanos is in way over his head. He had multiple options and chances to build a stadium in San Diego. No palace like Inglewood, but none the less, a very good stadium. No instead he insisted upon the City GIVING HIM (AS IN FOR FREE) THE 166 ACRES THAT THE CURRENT STADIUM SITS ON SO HE COULD DEVELOP IT and include a modest stadium for his team. Obviously that was DOA, and he neglected to understand that the property isn't even owned by the City. He ignored the X Plan that would have packaged the property the City did own in the midway district where the old but still used Sports Arena resides in what is called the Midway Area. That plan called for the packaging for development both the stadium property and the Sports Arena property into one development project. The Midway area property would be developed as a mixed used high end residential and entertainment district. Revenue from that project would be used to support the stadium / sports arena. The plan would build an NFL stadium and Sports Arena similar in concept to the Staples Center in LA. The development would be funding would be almost entirely private via asset backed revenue streams with $200M coming from the Chargers towards their stadium. That $200M is $165M less than the NFL is charging the the team as a relocation fee in their LA move.

This option and others are still open to any buyer of the Chargers who would return to the only city where they have a fan base. San Diego will not welcome a Spanos owned franchise as he has burned that bridge permanently.

This is the type of stupid greed exemplified by Dean Spanos. That he never even considered this plan. Spanos would have had his own 70K seat stadium, the city would have a new Sports/entertainment venue and the city wouldn't have to play for it. That would have increased his team's value at least as much as the LA move has without the debt he's now in. When he sells the team like he's going to be forced to do he won't get top dollar for it. The NFL and Kroenke will get most of it and the lawyers will get the rest. Dean will be lucky to get Uber fare home.

This is just one of the several options he turned down in San Diego. It's why I've been saying Dean Spanos is the dumbest NFL owner in the NFL and the quality of his teams reflect it. The battle for LA was lost before the Chargers left San Diego.

Its mind boggling how cheap Spano is and how he tried to force SD to gift him a new Stadium. And listening to him complain about city "screwing him" is so hilarious. I can't stand him. Furthermore I predict the league will force Spano to sell within 5 years. I'm sure some tech billionaire dude will happily buy the team move it back to SD. Build a stadium w/ a hotel on it and enjoy a good return on their dollar plus every 5 years the super bowl etc. etc.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stan is a real estate guy. I think his eye was always on appreciation; of the franchise and stadium values immediate and over time... buoyed further if the NFL moved some operations to his stadium complex.

But, that price tag surely upset some of those calculations.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Kind of hard to estimate
Yet that is what you did. Based upon your belief that revenue will remain static or get worse. Here's the facts:
$1 buys him into a new multi-billion $ stadium in LA.
Gets 15% of revenue.
Team instantly appreciates by $462 million.
Assumes ZERO risk.

Not a dumb deal for Spanos.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's the only "deal" Spanos could make. He's now in debt BIG time and most likely will be until he's buried. He's mortgaged everything to try and pay the relocation fee. He doesn't have that kind of money... and his measly 15% revenue stream is not going to add up to 550 million with a quickness.

This "deal" he has is not the kind of deal a real NFL owner would want to be a part of. He's outclassed just like that woman who used to "own" our beloved Rams. He has no business being an NFL owner... he never could afford it, and this Amazing (lol) deal he's stuck with just sealed his fate. He will have to sell the franchise in order to have any type of wealth left for his family just to get out from under the massive relocation fee.

Sweet deal.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They’re only stating what the total project will be like but there have never been any official estimate of what the retail cost will be for the other part. The stadium cost went from 1.8 billion to over 5 billion unless you think the 1.8 billion was going to a new world class stadium and the surrounding development.
I can also tell you that these things are done in stages you have to build the stadium first and then build everything else there is no way that the surrounding development cost 4 billion dollars or even 2 billion for that matter.

that was one thing that always struck me as odd. He left to build his 1.8 billion dollar stadium when the city of stlouis was willing to build him a 1.3 billion dollar stadium. I think that’s why Kroenke is so upset with dead because his cost keep rising to build his stadium andDean don’t have to do anything to help offset that cost.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I NEVER heard that # for the stadium only...The amount I seem to recall was 2.6 billion I believe...I could've wrong, certainly...I too would like to see what a $5 billion stadium would like
At first it was 1.8 billion then 2.6 billion the cost keep rising one of the biggest factors is because they had to did up and remove way more waste then they thought then they had to digg even deeper so that the stadium doesn’t violate lax’s air laws. You add that with the raising construction cost due to competition then you get this a inflated stadium price. While I think the finale number will be around 4 billion that’s still almost half his net worth on one project

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that was one thing that always struck me as odd. He left to build his 1.8 billion dollar stadium when the city of stlouis was willing to build him a 1.3 billion dollar stadium.
And it always struck me as odd that the city wanted to make the biggest land owner and property developer in the country a tenant instead of allowing him to build his own thing. It just never made any sense.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Please tell me there aren't folks who think the St Louis lawsuit is without merit?

The best thing for the Rams in the long term was to be in LA, but the city of St Louis was absolutely fucking screwed and if I was a taxpayer in that city I'd be wanting my officials to pursue the fuck out of any legal action they can.

Sorry for going off topic, it was just skirted around in the article. But St Louis is going to wipe the floor with the NFL in their lawsuit.