Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Sam's agent was on with Burwell today and said they told the NFL about the Oprah deal.

So Goodell and company knew about it. But the Rams didn't and they aren't happy about that.

I just wonder how many people in the league office knew about it. And how many teams did they tell?

We will never know they will destory the tapes. :ROFLMAO:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I mean, it's not like this is a first round pick we're talking about. If this sorta thing upsets the balance at Rams Park, then I suppose Fisher could just cut the guy. Sure there will be backlash, but whatever. Now would actually be a prime time to do it. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for cutting him that wouldn't (or shouldn't) allow people to play the bigot card.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
non-issue imo.

hope the documentary turns out good.

i think "distractions" are very highly overstated in their importance.

I think the Rams need as much publicity as possible.

That means this documentary, hard knocks, outside and inside the lines or anything we can think of.

lol

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can we ban any mention of Oprah from this forum as well? I almost despise her as much as Bernie at this point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me: I am already sick of this.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-didnt-tell-rams-about-oprah-documentary-plan

If Michael Sam's trying to make a seamless transition to the NFL, then making a documentary produced by the Oprah Winfrey Network may not be the best idea. According to ESPN.com, Sam didn't tell the Rams about the documentary and at least one St. Louis player believes the documentary could end up being a distraction.

"It's an interesting case that he gets to work with Oprah and have his own show, but I think it does raise eyebrows and it may be somewhat of a distraction," an unnamed Rams player told ESPN.com. "But this is our first time dealing with something like this, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out and how people react."

Another unnamed player told the Rams Radio Network that he would've been alright if Sam had told his story to Oprah in a one-episode deal, but that he thought a documentary could be a distraction.

According to ESPN.com, Sam and his representatives had known about the documentary prior to the NFL Draft, but they didn't tell the Rams or any other team before the draft because they thought it would keep Sam from getting picked. Sam ended up getting takenin the seventh round with the 249th overall pick.

Plans for the documentary were announced on Wednesday and probably came as a slight surprise to the Rams because Sam seemed to be all about football. During a teleconference on Saturday night held after he was drafted, Sam was asked if the 2014 season was 'going to be all about football.'

His reply?

"I am so confident, and it is all about football," Sam said. "It's about winning games and winning championships."

By signing up for this documentary, some of Sam's teammates may start to believe he's not 'all about football.' The Oprah Winfrey Network has tried to alleviate any fears that Sam might become a distraction by announcing that none of the documentary will be filmed at Rams minicamp, OTA's or training camp.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I agree that he should keep it in house, but there are a ton of player, coaches, and team members at Rams Park. Somebody is gonna say something.

And it's gonna get worse.

How about when players start getting cut with Sam still on the team? That can be very dangerous for the Rams. Those cut players can say some negative stuff about this.

I would doubt it..One if they get cut its their own doing. 2 if you get cut and start bad mouthing the team then who is going to pick you up? It would be stupid to say anything even if they don't like it.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
This is the first time I remember hearing a "leak" from an anonymous player in our dressing room and that concerns me more than anything. It is NEVER a good sign to have players coming out to whine anonymously. Places where its happened - bad things happen. I can point to New York where Tim Tebow's teammates were ripping him anonymously, or more recently in Miami. I hope we put a stop to this very soon - and Michael Sam reconsiders this programme.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
"Sam and his representatives had known about the documentary prior to the NFL Draft, but they didn't tell the Rams or any other team before the draft because they thought it would keep Sam from getting picked."

Bingo!

So you have a choice. You can either do something that you need to hide from people or you can not do it and not have to hide anything.

bskrilla

Starter
Quote from the ESPN article

"We did our best to communicate to the league," Weiss said. "We did not know what team he was going to and when he was going to that team. So, as soon as he was (drafted), that's when the communication started and it is ongoing and continuing. We're very committed to not infringing on the Rams, their autonomy or taking away in any way from their product on the field or their operations. We're not going to be interviewing any players. We're not going to have coaches, front office (members) or teammates be a part of this. We're not going to be at meetings, and we're not going to be at the team facility or hotel."

Also:

"The Rams have said they will not allow any special access to the TV show beyond what the normal media has."

I think this might be getting a little blown out of proportion. If Michael Sam thinks he can handle doing this and still make the team then let him prove it. I hope and think he will.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Quote from the ESPN article

"We did our best to communicate to the league," Weiss said. "We did not know what team he was going to and when he was going to that team. So, as soon as he was (drafted), that's when the communication started and it is ongoing and continuing. We're very committed to not infringing on the Rams, their autonomy or taking away in any way from their product on the field or their operations. We're not going to be interviewing any players. We're not going to have coaches, front office (members) or teammates be a part of this. We're not going to be at meetings, and we're not going to be at the team facility or hotel."

Also:

"The Rams have said they will not allow any special access to the TV show beyond what the normal media has."

I think this might be getting a little blown out of proportion.

Yeah, especially the deceitful part about them doing their best to communicate to the league. Really? You already have him signed to do a show before the draft and the teams don't know it? Sounds like they mave have been 0 for 32 in that effort or maybe, just maybe, they didn't want that to leak out in fear of ALL teams passing on a potential side-show. We are in bed with some very slimy people by default. I would not be a happy JFF!

Slappy967

Starter
I think they would be saying the same thing if the Rams were to selected for Hard Knocks this year. I feel it's less about OMG my gay teammate has a tv show and more shit why do we have these extra tv cameras to deal with.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I won't mind the documentary as much as long it is not aired prior to the season.

BeerOClock

Rookie
So much for the hope of treating Sam like any other player.

The circus continues and Sam, himself, has brought the elephants into the ring.

BeerOClock

Rookie
I think they would be saying the same thing if the Rams were to selected for Hard Knocks this year. I feel it's less about OMG my gay teammate has a tv show and more crap why do we have these extra tv cameras to deal with.

If Sam makes the team, it's an absolute guarantee that the Rams will be selected for Hard Knocks next year.