Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm not being self-righteous and I'm not claiming to be more 'enlightened.'

They said they weren't getting much access to Rams Park, so it's my opinion that it won't be a distraction to anybody but Michael Sam, and that's the choice he's made.

I also noted how quick people were ready to cut him lose in this very thread as a basis for my opinion of how people were looking for any reason to dump the guy. That may not apply to you, but your harsh reaction certainly makes me think otherwise.

Cheers.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hard Knocks, Oprah.....pretty much the same thing......

I disagree.

Hard knocks = about the Rams.
Sam's reality show = about Michael Sam - as his life relates to making the Rams and other things.

BIG difference IMHO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

They said they weren't getting much access to Rams Park, so it's my opinion that it won't be a distraction to anybody but Michael Sam, and that's the choice he's made.

I also noted how quick people were ready to cut him lose in this very thread as a basis for my opinion of how people were looking for any reason to dump the guy. That may not apply to you, but your harsh reaction certainly makes me think otherwise.

Cheers.
You don't know me nor likely anyone else on here. Thinking you do is a bad way to approach this site. My reaction is based on experience. What is yours based on? I don't trust a group that makes their living off creating drama and controversy to be simply a fly on the wall or stay out of the way. I'm going to guess that if we had drafted Tim Tebow and Pat Robertson wanted to do a show for whatever talk show that is that he hosts, most of us that are against the idea of the Oprah documentary would be equally opposed to that. So don't make assumptions about the posters on this site based on some silly idea that by voicing opposition to an Oprah side show, we are secretly wishing to just get rid of the gay guy.

You're new here. You've had some very good posts. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here though and I'd suggest you take the time to get to know the posters before forming judgments about them.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Oprah got banned from the White House. Wonder why?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I disagree.

Hard knocks = about the Rams.
Sam's reality show = about Michael Sam - as his life relates to making the Rams and other things.

BIG difference IMHO.

Maybe I should have used blue font. I could not have been less serious with that comment, haha.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It doesn't matter what Oprah's 'group' wants to do. The Rams specifically said that they were granting "very limited" access to Rams Park. As a result, this shouldn't be a distraction.

There's a reason why I didn't direct my social commentary toward any specific poster, but some of the reactions certainly read as though they're from people just looking for a 'quick out.' If it doesn't apply to you, I'm not sure why you've taken them so personally.

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Cheers.
I hope you're right, I hope the Rams FO shuts out all of the interest groups, including the media.

But, it is disappointing to me that MS signed this deal. It makes me question his committment to football and his recurring comment that he doesn't care about what the media has to say and it is only the media thats making a big deal out of all this. Now, I have to try and figure out which is the real MS, the one who only cares about football, or the one who is trying to promote himself via the media in a passive aggressive manner.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I hope you're right, I hope the Rams FO shuts out all of the interest groups, including the media.

But, it is disappointing to me that MS signed this deal. It makes me question his committment to football and his recurring comment that he doesn't care about what the media has to say and it is only the media thats making a big deal out of all this. Now, I have to try and figure out which is the real MS, the one who only cares about football, or the one who is trying to promote himself via the media in a passive aggressive manner.

It's a perfectly logical reaction. I'm of the belief that we should give Michael Sam the opportunity that he does care more about football than anything else rather than the self-promotion. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that some in this thread are willing to give him that courtesy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The problem with an Oprah show is it's going to want teamates and coaches
I hope many of you realize that the media is driven by the people...the fans etc. If we aren't watching and loving it all so much then they wouldn't bother. M. Sam will be fine as will our Rams.
Don't throw me in with your "we",I don't watch Oprah and I Hated the Color Purple, me an Michelle Obama got the same opinion of Oprah

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
There is the potential here for Oprah to cause more problems for gay athletes in the future. If she in any way paints the Rams organization in a negative light, then no NFL team will go near an openly gay athlete for a long time.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
There is the potential here for Oprah to cause more problems for gay athletes in the future. If she in any way paints the Rams organization in a negative light, then no NFL team will go near an openly gay athlete for a long time.
Good point. So, what will Oprah's agenda be? That's seems to me to be the real question now. Will she want to show the Rams in a negative light? Somehow I don't think so. On the other hand, I think she will be looking to single-out players who have a negative view, and that might mean players from other teams. You see, in today's society it's not acceptable to dislike anyone and speak out about it. So, those that do will be targeted. Perhaps that's the angle here. Hence, I don't think the enemy necessarily needs to be or come from the Rams organization.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Doesn't look like this thread is bringing our Rams family we have here any closer........

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Doesn't look like this thread is bringing our Rams family we have here any closer........
Agreed. Here too I've said my piece and I think I'm done with the subject. I'll still follow the thread but as always, I'm sure the posters here will self-moderate. I think most of it is getting it out of our system and discussing reservations. This too will pass.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Good point. So, what will Oprah's agenda be? That's seems to me to be the real question now. Will she want to show the Rams in a negative light? Somehow I don't think so. On the other hand, I think she will be looking to single-out players who have a negative view, and that might mean players from other teams. You see, in today's society it's not acceptable to dislike anyone and speak out about it. So, those that do will be targeted. Perhaps that's the angle here. Hence, I don't think the enemy necessarily needs to be or come from the Rams organization.

Yeah. I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as you, S.

You know she is gonna be looking for the bad guys. I have no idea how she will portray them. Right now, I would be worried if I was the Miami Dolphins. We play them in the preseason. I can see Oprah going after that player who dissed Sam.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Just had a sports center update:

Unamed Rams player tells ESPN Michael Sam having reality show "does raise some eyebrows" may be distraction.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
In all honesty, I don't see this as a huge distraction for anyone. Camera's likely won't follow him for more than a week tops? Maybe two weeks? And it will probably be comprised of mundane shit like, "Here's Michael on a phone call with a gay rights group." or "Let's follow him while he does an interview with some asshat from ESPN!"

Then the show wraps with a shot of him coming back to his apartment/hotel after practice that day, exhausted and talking about how great it feels to be living his dream. If you've ever had the fortune of having a GF/Wife that watches this type of shit programming, you'll know the episode line before it even airs.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not going to go back and read what I and others have written that you might be referring to. But if Sam made this deal without the Rams knowledge and it creates a circus around a mostly young team in the form of outside faces constantly poking around, asking other players uncomfortable questions, and the team chemistry being affected in any way shape or form due to this documentary, then you are damn right. I want him cut and I mean yesterday. I could give two shits about his orientation but if it's yet another obstacle for this team, IMO we don't need it.

As to the playoffs, there is no comparison here. It's not as you say - simple as that. No doubt players feel more pressure during the playoffs but they have pretty much the same requirements as far as face time with the press and such as players do during the regular season. There is no production team following them around trying to get juicy tidbits. This is not NFL films. This is the freakin Oprah show.

The Rams drafted Sam. That is the only reason I care about his football career to be honest. I don't wish him or any football player ill will coming out of college. I just don't follow them so therefore I don't care. And if any player brings baggage to the Rams that negatively affects team chemistry or unity then I want them gone. Simple as that .

You'd have to think that the Rams knew what was going on, they may not have known that he had a deal in place, but I have a hard time thinking that Fisher and Snead didn't know there would be camera's following him around. It says they get very limited access which means it's probably going to be them standing on the sidelines during practice and talking to Sam afterwards, and maybe a few others players... Which honestly isn't going to be much more than anyone else gets, I don't think it's going to be anything like a Hard Knocks thing with cameras all over the place and a bunch of different players. I'd be shocked if they get access to film rooms and meetings and things like that, it's likely going to be Sam on the practice field, and Sam at home. It's not like Oprah is going to be there herself or that the cameramen are going to be approaching Fisher saying "Hey, get Sam on the field so we can get a shot of him!"

It was inevitable that people were going to want to follow the story, and it's inevitable that people are going to want to know what our other players think about that. Fisher called in Wade Davis because he knew it was going to happen.

If Sam's production on the field isn't good enough to beat out who he needs to beat, or he's a locker room cancer (which by all accounts he doesn't seem to be) then yeah, give him the boot, I don't want that either. If he's too distracted by the attention then it will be nobodies fault but his own.

Now if the Rams can't handle the extra attention, the locker room isn't strong enough to handle things, then no, I don't think they're ready for that next step. Part of being those elite teams is being able to handle everything, both on and off the field.

Don't get me wrong, I care about the Rams first and I want what is best for them obviously. I just don't think we should automatically assume Michael Sam doesn't care about football and is only a selfish guy looking for attention and fame, or that he's damaging to the team just because people want to know his story (which is because he's gay). If Oprah wants a bigger story then the Rams better make sure they don't give her one. If she finds one then the team failed.

Just because people are poking around doesn't mean that team cohesion is automatically destroyed. I've been in that environment, and we were strong enough that it didn't affect us at all. Those are excuses, and the Rams should have no excuses. If Sam isn't good enough then he wont make the team. If the team can't handle the attention then they're not good enough, end of story.

I believe the coaching staff and the team are good enough to not let a few extra cameras affect them. I wont root against anyone on this team, the better they are the better this team is, and in the end that's what matters.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Naw, I think we're big enuf to handle a little conflict and debate.

Besides, where are any of going to go? There aren't any alternatives to ROD, at least not for the serious Rams fan.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I have not read every post or many. If I know my ROD brothers and sisters this sentiment has probably been expressed. I am really starting to question the benefit of the Sam drafting. I wish him the best but only Sam himself can stop the madness. Yes it is kind of nice to get national attention but the attention has had little if any to do with the team in regards to Football. I can not help but think that the media circus is and will continue to take from the team as a whole. It is another case of the media doing what the media does and they do it well for every one of us annoyed Ram and Football fans their are 10 human interest fans fueling the fire. I love good human interest stories like Sams as much as the next guy, only not at the cost of my team. I hope Sam and his publicity team put some parameters on this matter soon. To be clear this post is only for the intent of expressing the overall health and focus of our team as a whole.