Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I agree with what you've said here badnews.

There are many that claim to support a decision like drafting Michael Sam, but unfortunately there's a significant number of people who look for any excuse to change their mind.

It's just the way it is.

Not saying that's what any specific poster here is doing, but I have to wonder.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
While I respect the guy for who he is and what he's done as far as bringing awareness to this sensitive issue, count me in as another fan who's sick of seeing all this hoopla all over the internet. And to be completely honest, I thought the guy came off a bit brash in his interview. I hope we got ourselves a good player, but let's keep the leash on this thing a little reasonable, please!!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Very fair response, badnews. It was your follow up post saying: "its the ones who are going off about what a "circus" and "distraction" this is...." combined by your initial post that prompted my response--especially since several of us have used the word "distraction" and "circus" in our posts (I used the word "circus" on another thread).

But, please note that my point applies just as much to the Ram player quoted in the article and other Rams who may not like what's being done.

I understand that and don't think you are being unfair at all. The terms "circus" and "distraction" happen to be the right terms IMO, IF it becomes a problem. It isn't yet. It could become one... but I don't see it being a big deal as long as Fisher puts an end to it quickly, which I believe he would.

In my follow up response, it wasn't what words people were using that I meant to emphasize... more of a self fulfilled prophecy sort of thing: If we keep on reacting as if it is a circus... then it just might become one.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
And, you've nailed it as well.

Reality TV is an oxymoron. Once you put a camera into the equation and people's knowledge of the camera, any possibility of reality is lost. Once you put a producer with accountants and film editors who work for these producers, this lost reality becomes even more lost.

The argument of nature shows doesn't apply here. The animals in nature shows do not understand the mechanics, nor implications of the cameras and will often go about doing what they would normally do. Not so with humans.
The problem is, the masses believe Reality TV is reality. The don't realize that it means acting by ordinary people. So, they mock the ridiculous behaviors, because that's what the human brain is designed to do in order to fit into the tribe.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The problem is, the masses believe Reality TV is reality. The don't realize that it means acting by ordinary people. So, they mock the ridiculous behaviors, because that's what the human brain is designed to do in order to fit into the tribe.

Scary isn't it?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Line from Cushman on Jerry Maguire.

Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The player also isn't certain if teammates are truly embracing Sam's presence or just being politically correct when it comes to accepting the NFL's first openly gay player.
The media twisting, turning and spinning has already begun and is in full swing. This is going to be a rough ride.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Sam seems like a great guy in his interviews but this extra baggage is ridiculous. With this roster, Sam needs 110% focus on training camp and building good relationships with teammates. It is one thing to have the media following you, but inviting the media into your life at a pivotal point simply does not show dedication to your team! Football is a selfless sport!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The media twisting, turning and spinning has already begun and is in full swing. This is going to be a rough ride.

It sure looks that way.

I hope Sam makes the best decisions for HIS career. He is probably going to have a lot of people pushing him into making this what it shouldn't be.

ED_29

The worst part of this Michael Sam selection is that we now have to listen to the non-genuine sell-outs in media tell us his story. If I told the truth about what I thought about Oprah I'd most certainly be banned from ROD.
I have to admit I don't get the Oprah dislike. The woman is all about enlightening people and getting people to get going, take action, and be responsible for themselves

Oprah is a great American.... Given away millions is support of humanitarian causes. The woman came from nothing and look at her now. One of the greatest American stories ever

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I have to admit I don't get the Oprah dislike. The woman is all about enlightening people and getting people to get going, take action, and be responsible for themselves

Oprah is a great American.... Given away millions is support of humanitarian causes. The woman came from nothing and look at her now. One of the greatest American stories ever
Well, that's the PR Story for the public.

ED_29

As it relates to Michael Sam I have said little on any of the Ram boards I visit... Probably because just like with anything I think people are making too big a deal over it. But get incredibly angry on both sides.

I get why a documentary is coming. If it wasn't Oprah it would be someone else. I get it but just like with Tebow people just go too far. The coverage is too much and people's negative reaction to him and his life choice also bothers me.

I couldn't even watch his entire press conference the other day.... It just felt incredibly contrived and cringeworthy uncomfortable.

scifiman

How about let's quit talking about it. Let it go everyone. The media sells stories to make money and get people riled up. Just quit talking about this and it will go away.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While i think that all the teams should have known if the Nfl office knew. I don't see this as a big deal at all. Rams control access to Rams park. And what ever Sam does with his free time is his business same as any other player. If a film crew was following Donald around off Rams campus would anyone give a crap.