Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I really don't know what to think. I can see both sides here. I think Sam should be able to do something like this if he can handle it(Who knows if he'll make a team. He has a right to supplement his income in the case that he doesn't) and it shouldn't interfere with the team too much. On the other hand, this is already rubbing people the wrong way. He starts off by saying he just wants it to be about football but then does something like this and then the possibility that the show will want to interview teammates. I wouldn't want to be a part of that if I were his teammate. I don't know. If I were Sam, I think I'd pull the plug. I'd be more concerned with making the team, being a good teammate, and trying to keep a consistent message.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I can guarantee this outrage wouldn't be existent if the NFL Network was doing a series on Sam Bradford recovering from ACL surgery in his make or break season, even though Bradford is much more important to the team.

Shameful really.

Sam Bradford is an established player and leader of the team. No one is questioning his roster spot or his work ethic. As a veteran he's earned the ability to do something like that if he wanted to do it. Michael Sam is scrapping for his life just to make the roster. Analysts and himself have already agreed that he needs to focus 100% on football to even make the team. Every minute away from concentrating on nutrition, the weight room, technique, team meetings, practice, focus and so on and so on - and giving 100% of effort on every practice snap makes it less likely he will succeed. Having to sit down with Oprah as a rookie - when he should be keeping his head down and learning from the veteran pros about how to be a pro in this league will not help that.

Essentially he should be asking himself about every single thing in his life - "Is this going to make me a better football player?" If the answer is no - drop it. That's the level of dedication he needs. He should be learning from Chris Long and James Lauranaitis particularly about the work ethic required on our D.

The other thing is - if I'm a rookie along with him - am I not going to be a little pissed off that he's getting more attention than me, even though I'm a better football player and was drafted 3 round above him? Does he think he's better than me or something? And finally - guy's are now going to have to be slightly wary around him knowing he's on a TV show and that anything they say could be relayed and put out of all context and proportion. It will make him fitting in in the dressing room and making connections with his new teammates even more difficult than it was going to be for him. Again - this will not make him a better football player.

That's why I don't want him to be doing it.

Big Unit

UDFA
I feel better after listening to the radio interview. Apparently OWN will have no access to Rams Park, or training activities, or other Rams players - anything related to football activities. It will focus solely on Michael Sam, away from the practice field. We may question Sam's judgment, but I don't know that any employer would have the authority to control an employee's off-the-field, away from work activities; so long as they are not illegal.

Another thing I hadn't thought of - we as Rams fans are not the documentary's target audience. It will be a six-part documentary, but I see it somewhat similar to the "It gets better" series on youtube - where celebrities reassure young people grappling with their identity that it does get better. I think that's the target audience. Even Michael himself said in the Rams press conference that he had not discussed his sexuality with his father. Both of my children are recent college graduates; and they have numerous stories of gay or lesbian classmates who hadn't told their parents, or in some cases were near-suicidal because of their torment. I don't think most of us who don't have to deal with such issues can even imagine the conflict of such a problem; and I think that's the target audience; the intent being to show that, regardless of one's sexual orientation, there is a place for you; you can be comfortable in your own skin.

And I don't know much about Oprah Winfrey or OWN network, but have always gathered that there is nothing "Jerry Springer" about her, or her programs. There is a social conscience and sense of social responsibility, beyond mere titilation.

The proof will be in the pudding, I guess; but I'm much more concerned about the first few draft picks than I am about Michael Sam. This is an area where we can maybe learn from our children - "what's the big deal?" In my book, the Rams did the NFL a HUGE favor by drafting Sam; it apparently was NOT orchestrated from NFL offices; the pick was legitimate, because Sam was SEC defensive player of the year, so clearly not without skills whatsoever; and if the Rams cut him, they're inoculated from any claims of bigotry - it will unquestionably be football-related. We'll just have to see. Mizzou didn't see it as a problem; I'm hoping it won't be now, either.

Time will tell, I guess; a certain amount of "circus" was inevitable; and we'll soon see if it's a problem. I can't imagine that Greg Robinson, or Aaron Donald, or any of the other Rams players battling for a roster spot will let it affect them in any way.

Big Unit

UDFA
By the way, I do agree that the Rams were poorly served if the NFL knew about the Sam documentary, and mentioned nothing about it. No surprise there; like it or not, I think the NFL and east coast media play favorites.

bluecoconuts

Legend
CBSSports.com’s Gregg Doyel compared Sam’s overexposure to Tim Tebow. However, Doyel does not believe Tebow asked for the publicity, but says Sam is seeking attention:

You mean Tebow didn't make a bunch of commercials? His agent and long time family friend didn't make a documentary? Please...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah the Bradford injury is part of football, football didn't make Mike gay. So DNA
IMO keeping Mikes secret as a team was and will be way easier for his teamates than dealing with the publicity of him coming out,just do

BeerOClock

Rookie
No matter the reality, the producers will spin the story however they wish and the editors will cut the footage to support this agenda. And yes, conflict creates a more interesting story which attracts more viewers and results in higher advertising revenues.

And, you've nailed it as well.

Reality TV is an oxymoron. Once you put a camera into the equation and people's knowledge of the camera, any possibility of reality is lost. Once you put a producer with accountants and film editors who work for these producers, this lost reality becomes even more lost.

The argument of nature shows doesn't apply here. The animals in nature shows do not understand the mechanics, nor implications of the cameras and will often go about doing what they would normally do. Not so with humans.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So... is it just me, or is this story just a convenient way for some to express their real inner feelings about Michael Sam without exposing their bigotry? Maybe I am wrong... but I bet that I am at least nailing a couple people dead on.

He is a SEVENTH round pick. His chances of doing anything in the NFL are very very slim, with or without a documentary. He is in a position to share his story (which really isn't about football nearly as much as it is about courage) and possibly make some real progress for acceptance of the LGBT community. This documentary is taking place outside of his work with the Rams. If he can manage his business, it does nothing to hurt the team or himself. If he cant, so be it.
The Rams don't need him to pan out. If he does, bonus.

I just don't see why this is half as big a deal as some people are making it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This is going to get out of hand really quick. Oprah can take her traveling circus northeast to Cleveland!

EDIT: After listening to the audio clip, IMO this is going to be nothing short of a documentary/reality show. Jersey Shore in St. Louis.

Last edited:

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
So... is it just me, or is this story just a convenient way for some to express their real inner feelings about Michael Sam without exposing their bigotry? Maybe I am wrong... but I bet that I am at least nailing a couple people dead on.

He is a SEVENTH round pick. His chances of doing anything in the NFL are very very slim, with or without a documentary. He is in a position to share his story (which really isn't about football nearly as much as it is about courage) and possibly make some real progress for acceptance of the LGBT community. This documentary is taking place outside of his work with the Rams. If he can manage his business, it does nothing to hurt the team or himself. If he cant, so be it.
The Rams don't need him to pan out. If he does, bonus.

I just don't see why this is half as big a deal as some people are making it.
gaocSgC.gif

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is going to get out of hand really quick. Oprah can take her traveling circus northeast to Cleveland!

Why? Because a 7th round pick will have cameras following him around the house and at the grocery store?

Sorry, if anyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill, its the ones who are going off about what a "circus" and "distraction" this is.... keep freaking out about it and you just might make it so.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Well, I happen to know someone who is bothered about Sam being gay. But he said he "can accept it". Now this story comes along, which I guess I have a hard time seeing where all the fire is, and for him, THIS is the deal breaker.... "Oh, come on!" indeed!

And no, before I am misunderstood I would like to make it clear that I DO NOT think that people who are bothered by this are automatically homophobic or bigots.... nor am I suggesting that any particular poster here is (well maybe the guy who got banned yesterday....)

... but I am no fool. Homosexuality didn't just become everyones cup of tea last weekend. There are many out there who are not okay with this but don't wish to express their feelings for fear of being thought of as anti gay rights. Be honest, is that really hard to believe?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Why? Because a 7th round pick will have cameras following him around the house and at the grocery store?

Sorry, if anyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill, its the ones who are going off about what a "circus" and "distraction" this is.... keep freaking out about it and you just might make it so.

So I can't have an opinion contrary to yours.

BeerOClock

Rookie

It's so easy to point your finger and yell "bigot" these days.

The subject here is duplicity. Michael Sam wants to be an NFL player and he happens to be gay. The argument is that he wants to be, and should be, treated like any other draftee who wants to be an NFL player. Yet, is this the action of someone who wants to be treated like any other player?

You can't have it both ways. If you think he can and should, you are as duplicitous as he.

Several on this board, myself included, believe he should be treated like any other player. Is that bigotry?

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So I can't have an opinion contrary to yours.
WHAT? Why would you even say that? Apparently I cant have an opinion different from yours either, based on this new way of interpreting what it means to discuss a topic while having different opinions.
Sheesh.... watch out for the egg shells...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's so easy to point your finger and yell "bigot" these days.

The subject here is duplicity. Michael Sam wants to be an NFL player and he happens to be gay. The argument is that he wants to be, and should be, treated like any other draftee who wants to be an NFL player. Yet, is this the action of someone who wants to be treated like any other player?

You can't have it both ways. If you think he can and should, you are as duplicitous as he.

Several on this board, myself included, believe he should be treated like any other player. Is that bigotry?

Oh My GOD. Of course it isn't. I agree whole heartedly. Where the hell are people coming from.... did it feel like my post was directed at you? it wasn't. None of you. But this isnt the only place this subject is discussed.... and not everywhere are people so mature about the subject.

For Christ sake, before anyone else thinks I was talking to or about them, take a second longer, read what I actually wrote. Realize I wasn't talking about YOU.
Unless what I said applies to you.... in that case, I got nothing for ya.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Essentially he should be asking himself about every single thing in his life - "Is this going to make me a better football player?" If the answer is no - drop it. That's the level of dedication he needs. He should be learning from Chris Long and James Lauranaitis particularly about the work ethic required on our D.

I agree. The same goes for every rookie, but I don't recall many people calling for Janoris Jenkins to be cut following his late night out prior to one of the 49er games during his rookie season.

There's also nothing to suggest that he's not one of the hardest workers on the team at every level of football that he's reached. I don't understand why a TV series will prevent him from continuing that.

JMHO.

BeerOClock

Rookie
Oh My GOD. Of course it isn't. I agree whole heartedly. Where the hell are people coming from.... did it feel like my post was directed at you? it wasn't. None of you. But this isnt the only place this subject is discussed.... and not everywhere are people so mature about the subject.

For Christ sake, before anyone else thinks I was talking to or about them, take a second longer, read what I actually wrote. Realize I wasn't talking about YOU.
Unless what I said applies to you.... in that case, I got nothing for ya.

Very fair response, badnews. It was your follow up post saying: "its the ones who are going off about what a "circus" and "distraction" this is...." combined by your initial post that prompted my response--especially since several of us have used the word "distraction" and "circus" in our posts (I used the word "circus" on another thread).

But, please note that my point applies just as much to the Ram player quoted in the article and other Rams who may not like what's being done.