Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...infrey-network-to-air-michael-sam-documentary
Oprah Winfrey Network to air Michael Sam documentary
  • 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • By Chase Goodbread
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: May 14, 2014 at 06:12 p.m.
  • Updated: May 14, 2014 at 06:24 p.m

The Oprah Winfrey Network will broadcast a documentary series on St. Louis Rams rookie defensive end Michael Sam's efforts to make the team as the NFL's first openly gay player.

Sam was chosen in the seventh round of the NFL draft Saturday with the No. 249 overall pick

"We are honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history, but will shape it forever," Winfrey said in a prepared statement. "I am proud of the focus on authentic storytelling in our new documentary series format. The next real-life story we follow in 'The Untitled Michael Sam Project' promises to spark valuable, important discussion on life in America today. Acceptance and illumination start here."

The release from OWN did not indicate when the series would launch. Sam, for his part, said his focus will remain on football and making the Rams roster. That won't be easy, with two of the NFL's better defensive ends -- Robert Quinn and Chris Long -- already in place at his position.

"Like every player out there working to make a team right now, my focus is on playing football to the very best of my ability," Sam said. "I am determined. And if seeing my story helps somebody else accept who they are and to go for their dreams too, that's great. I am thankful to Oprah for her support and excited to work together."

Sam told the Missouri football team he is gay last August during a team-building exercise at fall camp, but the news did not become public until Sam announced it in the weeks between his appearance at the Reese's Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Speculation on his draft status ranged from the fourth round to undrafted, but he ultimately became the league's first openly gay draftee with seven picks left.

Since then, Sam jerseys have been in great demand, with sales topping those of No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney among NFL rookies.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hard Knocks, Oprah.....pretty much the same thing......

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The worst part of this Michael Sam selection is that we now have to listen to the non-genuine sell-outs in media tell us his story. If I told the truth about what I thought about Oprah I'd most certainly be banned from ROD.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I thought he was going to go and concentrate on his football now - so that he can make the team.

I hate all this media circus stuff. Just leave off the guy and let him get in shape and concentrate 24/7 on getting better.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I like him. I want to like him so much. But if he's going to be "just a football player", he has to not do things like documentaries. He took a nice step in the press conferences by directing everything back to football, but this just seems counterproductive. If he really wants this to go away, he has to set the bar of doing only football related things. He can do a documentary in 10 years. But now is not the time. And shame on Oprah for not understanding that and doing the documentary.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I wish the media would just leave enough be. Give this man and this team some privacy. The more the media makes this a distraction to both him and the RAMS organization, the harder it will be for this team to focus on playing football. I'm glad he is part of the team and if he can make a difference to the team's success then it was a great pick by Fisher & Co. It's about football and the RAMS. No one player is greater than the team, and I'm pretty sure Sam knows this. He needs to continue making that point to the media so they will leave him be and he can focus on football.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There's your story. No need for Hard Knocks anymore. :whistle:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
For the love of god let the media circus following Michael Sam die after this and let the man focus on playing DE for the St. Louis RAMS!!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The worst part of this Michael Sam selection is that we now have to listen to the non-genuine sell-outs in media tell us his story. If I told the truth about what I thought about Oprah I'd most certainly be banned from ROD.
I THINK THEY'D HAVE TO BAN A LOT OF US :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

You and me both, S.

duckhunter

Starter
I would think it gets crazier first. This thing can spin off it's axis any one of a number of ways. These folks will gather others who have a political agenda and at the moment we innocently appear to be in their clutches for what means I do not know.

Eventually, we may see private property rights versus media rights or fair labor practices or anyone of a number of things. I would say the NFL's exemption from Congress' fair labor practices might be a juicy target. Politics is a strange animal.

Might have wanted to vet this selection with a good law firm or political study group first. But it's historic, none the less.

:whistle: Life's a bowl of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wouldn't it be great if Sam refused to talk to her?
They are going to make a caricature of Mike ,he'll never be able to have any other identity,the left will probably even coin a term using him for a political purpose

FRO

Legend
The reason Sam slipped in the draft, outside the combine, was the media circus. The media is hurting Sam, not helping. By accepting the reality show Sam is hurting his own chances.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought he was going to go and concentrate on his football now - so that he can make the team.

I hate all this media circus stuff. Just leave off the guy and let him get in shape and concentrate 24/7 on getting better.

^ this. Let him play football.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I would think it gets crazier first. This thing can spin off it's axis any one of a number of ways. These folks will gather others who have a political agenda and at the moment we innocently appear to be in their clutches for what means I do not know.

Eventually, we may see private property rights versus media rights or fair labor practices or anyone of a number of things. I would say the NFL's exemption from Congress' fair labor practices might be a juicy target. Politics is a strange animal.

Might have wanted to vet this selection with a good law firm or political study group first. But it's historic, none the less.

:whistle: Life's a bowl of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.
How many DC think tanks and non-profit organizations are meeting this week to figure out how best to exploit Michael Sam for their political purposes? I wanna puke.

Wouldn't it be great if Sam refused to talk to her?
They are going to make a caricature of Mike ,he'll never be able to have any other identity,the left will probably even coin a term using him for a political purpose
You know, he just might do that. And that would be great. But then she'll go figure out a way to use it against the kid. This media lot is an unscrupulous bunch.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If he doesn't kick ass on the field,,, this documentary might not be able to fill a 30 minute time slot.

I hope he can keep his focus where it needs to be.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think he just signed his ticket off the team. If I were Fisher this stuff would make it easier to cut him......not harder.

duckhunter

Starter
QUOTE="Stranger, post: 315093, member: 159"]How many DC think tanks and non-profit organizations are meeting this week to figure out how best to exploit Michael Sam for their political purposes? I wanna puke.

You know, he just might do that. And that would be great. But then she'll go figure out a way to use it against the kid. This media lot is an unscrupulous bunch.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the Rams need legal advice pronto. Not to overdo the overdone but you better believe there are some large Washington sharks smelling blood already in the Water. They would like no better than to take a big bite or a feast out of the NFL owners individually or collectively. The more it plays out as business as usual the more evidence they collect.

I'm no ambulance chaser but I'd say with Fisher and Snead's comment already in the press, there is already a very strong case for civil rights/hiring practice infractions with the incredible open ended multi-million $ personal damages award possibility of grevious personal tragedy with crying on TV, civil rights infractions and all kinds of other stuff.

Even of more concern they can hold hostage r the Congressional fair labor Standards exemption for Supreme Court revue and hearing. I wouldn't doubt if we're talking maybe a $1B in a settlement fee price-tag to keep it out of court.

Just look at what they do to large Pharma companies.

That's why all the other teams kept the camel's nose from under the tent flap.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What do you mean? That if Sam is cut they will cry foul because of his Sexual preference? That wont stick. If so they would have to prove that every player cut was cut for some reason other than football ability.