Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You're not. I like Newton more than Murphy myself. Murphy gets a lot of single looks because of T'Vondre Sweat taking on two guys.
I will day I have looked at other videos after watching thar Michigan video that was posted, and he looked quicker than in that Michigan game. Maybe his foot injury was an issue then. I dunno. I wouldn't mind taking him after a trade down.

Any of these guys would make sense... My guesses as to where the experts expect them to go

Top 40
Murphy (Texas)
Newton (Illinois)
Fiske (Fla St)
Robinson (Missouri)

Top 60
Hall (Ohio St.)
Sweat (Texas)

Top 75
Orhorhoro (Clemson)
Davis (Clemson)

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
The mocks I have done, it seems like the pickings are thin after the 3rd/early 4th at the latest.
I'm seeing the same, if not a little worse. Who do you see as starting level in the late 3rd/early 4th?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Some interesting DL after round 2:
Michael Hall Jr, Ohio St - Liking this guy the more I watch of him
Maason Smith, LSU - will be a full year after ACL injury, which I think hampered him all last year and still had nearly 10% pass rush win rate
Tyler Davis, Clemson - Very good run stuffer with some pass rush ability
Mekhi Wingo, LSU - productive, but not amazing.

Ultimately, outside of Hall Jr, I'm not a fan of any DT that can step in and start day 1 for us. Its a pretty top heavy and shallow DT class IMO. That's why Sweat keeps moving up my board. I'm to the point that trading back to late 1st and grabbing him is starting to sound intriguing to me. The knock on Sweat is that he won't be in there for 3 downs, I disagree with that. He has some of the most snaps (or close to equal) of the top end DT prospects. The guy is also not a liability rushing the QB.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Some interesting DL after round 2:
Michael Hall Jr, Ohio St - Liking this guy the more I watch of him
Maason Smith, LSU - will be a full year after ACL injury, which I think hampered him all last year and still had nearly 10% pass rush win rate
Tyler Davis, Clemson - Very good run stuffer with some pass rush ability
Mekhi Wingo, LSU - productive, but not amazing.

Ultimately, outside of Hall Jr, I'm not a fan of any DT that can step in and start day 1 for us. Its a pretty top heavy and shallow DT class IMO. That's why Sweat keeps moving up my board. I'm to the point that trading back to late 1st and grabbing him is starting to sound intriguing to me. The knock on Sweat is that he won't be in there for 3 downs, I disagree with that. He has some of the most snaps (or close to equal) of the top end DT prospects. The guy is also not a liability rushing the QB.
From everything that I'm seeing, Hall will be taken in round 2.

I like Smith and Davis but I agree that they are not day 1 starters.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Passing on Mitchell would be crazy to me. I know we need line help but that to me would suck
There's 300 members here and I'd bet if they all answered, you'd see about 150 different opinions. Passing on X is crazy, not drafting Y is nuts. The most animated Ram fans have been over McVay's drafts was when we passed on Creed Humphrey. But we won the SB and it would appear, we may have a stud C in 2024. So while it may appear passing on somebody is a mistake, it doesn't necessarily end up a mistake. I might think passing on Byron Murphy is a mistake but if they do, so be it. One thing we can be sure of......we're gonna be good, no matter who we take. It's a great time to be a Ram fan.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
There's 300 members here and I'd bet if they all answered, you'd see about 150 different opinions. Passing on X is crazy, not drafting Y is nuts. The most animated Ram fans have been over McVay's drafts was when we passed on Creed Humphrey. But we won the SB and it would appear, we may have a stud C in 2024. So while it may appear passing on somebody is a mistake, it doesn't necessarily end up a mistake. I might think passing on Byron Murphy is a mistake but if they do, so be it. One thing we can be sure of......we're gonna be good, no matter who we take. It's a great time to be a Ram fan.
Definitely agree it's great to be a Rams fan, but I just think a DT over a CB is a mistake there, but that's just one man's opinion of course. I expect some agreement and some disagreement and welcome it. It's the best way to open one's mind to different trains of thought.....but I'm more right though hahahahaha

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In the PFF mock they had:
Amarius Mims
Jer'zhan Newton
Byron Murphy
Cooper DeJean

As the best four players for the Rams at 19.

Not a bad list to choose from. They went with Mims. They didn’t say it but I guess they don’t like Aleric much because they said OLT is a need and went with Mims.

I would have taken Newton or DeJean.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maason Smith strikes me as an athletic underachiever. I'd pass. Leonard Taylor? Hell yes.
Smith was injured and then suspended. So he’s not very experienced. But he can dominate. However, if he is lazy I’d think that the Rams would have him off of their board.

Memphis Ram

Legend
In the PFF mock they had:
Amarius Mims
Jer'zhan Newton
Byron Murphy
Cooper DeJean

As the best four players for the Rams at 19.

Not a bad list to choose from. They went with Mims. They didn’t say it but I guess they don’t like Aleric much because they said OLT is a need and went with Mims.

I would have taken Newton or DeJean.
I watched one of their mock drafts on YouTube and they took Mims with Jared Verse still available. I immediately turned it off.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Exactly. And that's all they need in a 3-4 defense without the luxury of an Aaron Donald. LBs (including EDGE) should be the focus.
I disagree. Focusing on the DL will give you more impact than on ILB. They needed a starting level 5T before AD retired. It's more urgent now.

Obviously EDGE is a major focus that will be hit early. I don't see them focusing on ILBs much though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I disagree. Focusing on the DL will give you more impact than on ILB. They needed a starting level 5T before AD retired. It's more urgent now.

Obviously EDGE is a major focus that will be hit early. I don't see them focusing on ILBs much though.
I disagree wholeheartedly.

For example, the Ravens had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year with journeyman Brent Urban starting. He just re-signed a 1 year deal for a little over a million if I'm reading sportrac correctly. But the ILBs? Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen (whom the Steelers just gave a huge deal to as they never replace Ryan Shazier).

EDIT: Urban rotated with former their former 5th round selection Broderick Washington.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
PFF podcast point of interest.

This does not have much to do with DTs but I think it would apply.

The chance of successfully drafting an edge drops from round 1 to round 2 by at least 50%.

The chance of successfully drafting a WR in rounds 2 & 3 is much higher than drafting an edge.

So, does that affect the Rams thinking when it comes to what they prioritize in the first round? It makes me think they still will prioritize pass rush early. If not an edge then a DT

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

For example, the Ravens had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year with journeyman Brent Urban starting. He just re-signed a 1 year deal for a little over a million if I'm reading sportrac correctly. But the ILBs? Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen (whom the Steelers just gave a huge deal to as they never replace Ryan Shazier).
Well to be fair the Ravens relied heavily on Madubwekie on the interior of the DLine.

Some schemes prioritize great inside linebacker player. Others don’t value it as highly.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

That's a valid position on the best way to build a defense, but it's not one that I believe McSnead share. I don't see it as part of their team building model. They have never prioritized ILBs.