Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well to be fair the Ravens relied heavily on Madubwekie on the interior of the DLine.

Some schemes prioritize great inside linebacker player. Others don’t value it as highly.
And he had a breakout season last year. Turner could be the Rams Madubuike with rotational lunchpail type playing with him.

If I heard Snead's interview correctly, they can't replace Donald because that player doesn't exist and will find good defensive players and begin the next chapter now that he's gone.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't think they do, I believe the go Edge & CB and then at DT in the 3rd round. @Memphis Ram mock is where I believe they will focus their attention early.
I have to reason that the Rams will go BPA at 19 if it's a starter in their minds. So that lends itself to be higher odds for it to be Edge or CB, OT or a trade back. But that's probably as accurate as next month's weather forcast.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That's a valid position on the best way to build a defense, but it's not one that I believe McSnead share. I don't see it as part of their team building model. They have never prioritized ILBs.
They've always had AD. Be not surprised at new D schemes from Shula.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Because they had Donald.
Maybe. Even if true though, we don't know how they plan to rework the defense. You're hoping that a Ravens style scheme and ILB will be a high priority. I'm very skeptical. I think most subscribe to a philosophy that the closest to the ball, i.e. DL, is the starting point.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PFF podcast point of interest.

This does not have much to do with DTs but I think it would apply.

The chance of successfully drafting an edge drops from round 1 to round 2 by at least 50%.

The chance of successfully drafting a WR in rounds 2 & 3 is much higher than drafting an edge.

So, does that affect the Rams thinking when it comes to what they prioritize in the first round? It makes me think they still will prioritize pass rush early. If not an edge then a DT
Changes nothing! The Rams trust their scouting department and clearly don't follow the norms.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
They've always had AD. Be not surprised at new D schemes from Shula.
Shula already said he's largely keeping the same scheme. And that makes sense b/c McVay hired him for continuity despite already knowing that AD was retiring.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe. Even if true though, we don't know how they plan to rework the defense. You're hoping that a Ravens style scheme and ILB will be a high priority. I'm very skeptical. I think most subscribe to a philosophy that the closest to the ball, i.e. DL, is the starting point.
When I read that the team was showing interest in one of the top LBs in the draft in Edgerrin Cooper and couldn't recall them showing interest in one of the top LBs in other recent drafts (though it doesn't mean it didn't happen), it just made sense to me. Especially when the GM gives the secondary grace pointing out the inconsistent pass rush.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Shula already said he's largely keeping the same scheme. And that makes sense b/c McVay hired him for continuity despite already knowing that AD was retiring.
But you can keep the same scheme and alter the personnel in it. Especially, if you can't find someone anywhere close to Donald and they can't. He doesn't exist. You can't scheme for things to play off someone who is no longer there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
May not matter but pro football focus thought he played well. And if I'm not mistaken so did McVay.
PFF is hit and miss. I don't form my opinions around their rankings. Would rather be wrong than use them as gospel. Also McVay is completely full of shit when it comes to his players. He always talks them up. Listen to his words and you'd be thinking Tavon is a world class player even while he was being traded for a ham sandwich.

If and when Brown continues what we saw last year, without AD lining up next to him, my take on him will change. Hope he plays well. But no way I'd stack that roster like he is a given at NT. I would hedge my bets there. Defensive front is a massive need I think, but hey we'll see what the Rams do.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
When I read that the team was showing interest in one of the top LBs in the draft in Edgerrin Cooper and couldn't recall them showing interest in one of the top LBs in other recent drafts (though it doesn't mean it didn't happen), it just made sense to me. Especially when the GM gives the secondary grace pointing out the inconsistent pass rush.
Yeah, I would guess if Cooper is there at 52, he's a Ram. And I can see a rookie starting at DT/EDGE, CB/S, and LB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
PFF is hit and miss. I don't form my opinions around their rankings. Would rather be wrong than use them as gospel. Also McVay is completely full of shit when it comes to his players. He always talks them up. Listen to his words and you'd be thinking Tavon is a world class player even while he was being traded for a ham sandwich.

If and when Brown continues what we saw last year, without AD lining up next to him, my take on him will change. Hope he plays well. But no way I'd stack that roster like he is a given at NT. I would hedge my bets there. Defensive front is a massive need I think, but hey we'll see what the Rams do.
Some like them and some don't. But I could see how well he played with my own eyes. And hopefully the Rams will get a contract year performance out of him this upcoming season.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I hadn't heard that. Who and where was this reported?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In the PFF mock they had:
Amarius Mims
Jer'zhan Newton
Byron Murphy
Cooper DeJean

As the best four players for the Rams at 19.

Not a bad list to choose from. They went with Mims. They didn’t say it but I guess they don’t like Aleric much because they said OLT is a need and went with Mims.

I would have taken Newton or DeJean.

Joel Klatt also went with Mims in his mock… that was because the 1 DT he felt worthy of a 1st round pick was gone, that being Murphy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Joel Klatt also went with Mims in his mock… that was because the 1 DT he felt worthy of a 1st round pick was gone, that being Murphy.
I watched Newton against pSU. Penn State has a very good Oline and Newton was very disruptive

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Trade back and add two DL/DT pieces in that late first early/mid 2nd round range: Newton, Jenkins, Fiske, etc. and a Kneeland, Dorlus, Darius Robinson, etc. type.

Or if they are sold on Murphy and he's at 19, take him. Then add either Kneeland or Dorlus.

Either way, a much needed boost (albeit young) to the DL.
Personally, I want us to trade back from 19 before targeting DL Edge CB OT (based on who might possibly start and excel this year) then include RB & C in that (for depth). Of course, it depends who they have as a plus-starting-talent, and who is available, but I am not sure there are more than 10 such players in this draft.

The draft seems deep but light at the top so max out the numbers

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I disagree wholeheartedly.

For example, the Ravens had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year with journeyman Brent Urban starting. He just re-signed a 1 year deal for a little over a million if I'm reading sportrac correctly. But the ILBs? Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen (whom the Steelers just gave a huge deal to as they never replace Ryan Shazier).

EDIT: Urban rotated with former their former 5th round selection Broderick Washington.
For what it's worth, I don't think there's a ILB in this draft that can compare to those two.

Edit:
But I should say, Cooper intrigues...

Last edited:

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I see no reason for the Rams to try and draft a replacement for Donald. He was a unique talent. Trying to plug a "Donald like player" into his spot makes no sense to me. Just draft the most talented Defensive players you can and mold the scheme around what you have.