Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don’t think they can, nor will, wait for their 3rd round selection to get a DT. Too much risk that their guy(s) would be gone by 83.

I also don’t see a DT worth 19. If they stay at 19, I see an edge or some other premium piece (CB, WR, etc). Or trade back.

The sweet spot in this draft for DTs really seems like it’s that 2nd round (30-70ish). I see them picking a DT in that range. Whether it be their 2nd round of via a trade back / up.
Disagree.

They play a 3-4 Defense. With Turner in Donald's spot (Johnson backing him up) and Brown III on the nose, the other starter (if not Hoecht) and backups could be filed by day three prospects or vet free agents. Lunchpail types. Donald was a luxury.

With the 3-4, the key is to use the necessary resources to upgrade the Linebackers (EDGE and ILB). Those positions are the harder to fill.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah the argument for a DT high is that they're a superior talent to others at that point in the draft. And I think you can make that argument for some of these guys with what we can glean right now from the draft.

There should be talent to fill out things like 5T later in the draft.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Turner played a key role for us last season. When you remove AD and slide Turner to 3T you now require another DT.

We need another starting level DL added at either NT or 5T. One player who is stout enough vs the run but also has some rush threat. And probably a rotation run stuffer on top of that but at the very least a starter in those first few rounds.
This is why I like Sweat so much for us. Doesn't come stouter then him and he is not without pass rushing ability.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah the argument for a DT high is that they're a superior talent to others at that point in the draft. And I think you can make that argument for some of these guys with what we can glean right now from the draft.

Superior to other DTs?

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Disagree.

They play a 3-4 Defense. With Turner in Donald's spot (Johnson backing him up) and Brown III on the nose, the other starter (if not Hoecht) and backups could be filed by day three prospects or vet free agents. Lunchpail types. Donald was a luxury.

With the 3-4, the key is to use the necessary resources to upgrade the Linebackers (EDGE and ILB). Those positions are the harder to fill.
So you are relying on these two 2-3rd year guys to play every down (without AD now) and avoid any semblance of injury? Ok, sounds good.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Who are their guys?
Idk - none of us do. But they need more than just a depth rookie. Whoever they pick (or get off waivers) will play a decent amount since we have no backups. Let alone injuries occurring. Whomever they like, if they like them, others will too. Waiting 80-99 picks in the draft and hoping one of your guys is still there is not a great plan.

Maybe they strike gold a 2nd year in a row like they did with Turner. I don’t think that’s a solid draft plan - imho.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So you are relying on these two 2-3rd year guys to play every down (without AD now) and avoid any semblance of injury? Ok, sounds good.
No. I'm relying upon lunchpail type DLinemen and vet free agent pickups.

Again, without the luxury of having an Aaron Donald, the key with most 3-4 defenses are the Linebackers (includes EDGE) and that NT. Brown III could handle the NT and someone like Jonathan Hankins could be picked for vet minimum to spell him.

Most probably couldn't even name most of the DLinemen in the 3-4 defenses around the league without looking them up. Maybe one on each team. But the LBs? No need for google there.

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
No. I'm relying upon lunchpail type DLinemen and vet free agent pickups.

Again, without the luxury of having an Aaron Donald, the key with most 3-4 defenses are the Linebackers (includes EDGE) and that NT. Brown III could handle the NT and someone like Jonathan Hankins could be picked for vet minimum to spell him.

Most probably couldn't even name most of the DLinemen in the 3-4 defenses around the league without looking them up. Maybe one on each team. But the LBs? No need for google there.
I understand now - you instead are spending the high picks on elite edge and LBs. I’m on board with that as well. Verse/Latu + a top LB would do wonders for this D.

I’d still worry about getting run over by teams up the middle and would hope we’d get some beefcake in the middle during the draft. Also concerned about injuries. Long season to rely on Brown/Turner. Even AD played only like 75-80% of snaps the last few years (don’t quote me in that though lol).

Memphis Ram

Legend
I understand now - you instead are spending the high picks on elite edge and LBs. I’m on board with that as well. Verse/Latu + a top LB would do wonders for this D.

I’d still worry about getting run over by teams up the middle and would hope we’d get some beefcake in the middle during the draft. Also concerned about injuries. Long season to rely on Brown/Turner. Even AD played only like 75-80% of snaps the last few years (don’t quote me in that though lol).
Yes. Whether they are high picks or low picks, the non-vet free agents are still going to be rookies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bobby Brown is your starting level NT. I could see them trying to upgrade that in the draft but 5T is even more urgent. They also definitely do need depth along the entire DL.
I appreciate that Brown played better for us last season but I don't trust him from a roster planning perspective. I think we now have one starter we can 100% depend on in Turner. And then rotation types. This is why, barring a FA move, DT may now be our top roster priority. It's up there with Edge now IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I appreciate that Brown played better for us last season but I don't trust him from a roster planning perspective. I think we now have one starter we can 100% depend on in Turner. And then rotation types. This is why, barring a FA move, DT may now be our top roster priority. It's up there with Edge now IMO.

May not matter but pro football focus thought he played well. And if I'm not mistaken so did McVay.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree, that is why it would be nice if we could pick up some type of edge prior to the draft.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

Do you see any starting level 5Ts that can be obtained later in the draft? IMO, starting level DL/DT is mostly over by the 2nd and for sure by the 3rd.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Do you see any starting level 5Ts that can be obtained later in the draft? IMO, starting level DL/DT is mostly over by the 2nd and for sure by the 3rd.
Man, I think so but just don't know much about the position this year. Anyone else?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Man, I think so but just don't know much about the position this year. Anyone else?
Yeah...this is not a great draft for DT depth. I had DL as one of the top needs even before AD's retirement so have been monitoring that position quite a bit with the mock draft simulators. Basically everything that I consider starting worthy, guys with a chance to be difference makers, are gone by the 2nd.

It would be nice if some draft experts proved me wrong.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The mocks I have done, it seems like the pickings are thin after the 3rd/early 4th at the latest.