Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I imagine after the draft when the undrafted free agents are looking for a team DT will be a major focus. They might find a surprise rotation guy or two. Maybe with with all those 6th round picks too.

Psycho_X

Legend
Imo the Rams already drafted ADs replacement last offseason with Turner. His play was about as good as you can expect from a non-AD type of interior defender. We're not going to get better than Turner. He is ADs replacement. And Brown was adequate when healthy. Once that is accepted the draft gets easier. We fall back to needing edge and CB. We'll pick up interior depth in later rounds or free agent castoffs after draft.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Imo the Rams already drafted ADs replacement last offseason with Turner. His play was about as good as you can expect from a non-AD type of interior defender. We're not going to get better than Turner. He is ADs replacement. And Brown was adequate when healthy. Once that is accepted the draft gets easier. We fall back to needing edge and CB. We'll pick up interior depth in later rounds or free agent castoffs after draft.
This could be why Rams would prefer a more traditional DT like Murphy vs Newton who more resembles Donald.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
don't you think since McVay and co. new Donald was leaving after the playoff loss that they have a plan? they must. and not "we have to score 40 points to help our defense". you don't win without a killer defense. hard as it is we need to get someone to dominate. what's Suh up to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Turner played a key role for us last season. When you remove AD and slide Turner to 3T you now require another DT.

We need another starting level DL added at either NT or 5T. One player who is stout enough vs the run but also has some rush threat. And probably a rotation run stuffer on top of that but at the very least a starter in those first few rounds.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guy with the length, speed, 40 time and short shuttle that fits the long athletic mold is Chris Braswell and he’s a projected 2nd round pick.

Aside from Turner, the top four guys have limitations. So I think they look to get Corner, WR or Edge. In round 1 and 2.

They could target Masson Smith or Leonard Taylor in rounds 3-4

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Turner played a key role for us last season. When you remove AD and slide Turner to 3T you now require another DT.

We need another starting level DL added at either NT or 5T. One player who is stout enough vs the run but also has some rush threat. And probably a rotation run stuffer on top of that but at the very least a starter in those first few rounds.
Why the first two rounds? It seems the plan to replace AD is with a 3rd round pick #89 overall. Don't lock your thinking in that we have to do something with certain picks because that's when the Rams say "oh really?" and pick something completely different and don't take the position you think they have to take early until day 3. The slated guy in the middle is a 4th round pick. Anything can and will happen on the night of April 25th.

Not saying you but it's kind of funny there are a lot of people that at one instance will say trust the Rams to take the best player on the board. Then they'll rattle off a half dozen players that should be taken :D Unless they know the Rams board this is very funny to me, trust them but hey take one of these guys Rams :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who said first two rounds.
Fair misread few to two. Still what is a few it's usually defined as a small number so if you're saying first two days that's hardly a few when it's half of the draft.

Psycho_X

Legend

I view Brown as that guy, at least for now. They will likely draft someone eventually and probably pick up at least one vet DT somewhere along the way. I just see a lot more value on spending day 1 and probably day 2 picks on other positions.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
The guy with the length, speed, 40 time and short shuttle that fits the long athletic mold is Chris Braswell and he’s a projected 2nd round pick.

Aside from Turner, the top four guys have limitations. So I think they look to get Corner, WR or Edge. In round 1 and 2.

They could target Masson Smith or Leonard Taylor in rounds 3-4
Maason Smith strikes me as an athletic underachiever. I'd pass. Leonard Taylor? Hell yes.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
One more thing; If we DO draft a DT in round 1, we better make sure he is really mentally tough, because the "Aaron Donald replacement" talk will come, like it or not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fair misread few to two. Still what is a few it's usually defined as a small number so if you're saying first two days that's hardly a few when it's half of the draft.
I always use the term to mean three. If I want to insinuate two I use the term couple. But if you want to get all argumentative in semantics knock yourself out.

DT will be addressed in the first three rounds. No way around it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always use the term to mean three. If I want to insinuate two I use the term couple. But if you want to get all argumentative in semantics knock yourself out.

DT will be addressed in the first three rounds. No way around it.
Not arguing at all hahaha sorry you took it that way and got defensive.

I disagree though with the second statement though. We should have learned by now to not assume McSnead will do anything that we expect.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

Bobby Brown is your starting level NT. I could see them trying to upgrade that in the draft but 5T is even more urgent. They also definitely do need depth along the entire DL.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Not arguing at all hahaha sorry you took it that way and got defensive.

I disagree though with the second statement though. We should have learned by now to not assume McSnead will do anything that we expect.
I agree that McSnead do the unexpected so we can never be too certain of anything, but I feel Merlin is correct that DL will be addressed in the first 3 rounds because of lack of depth. I've run hundreds of mock draft simulations and it seems that starting level DT/DL are gone by the end of the 2nd and for sure by the end of the 3rd.

2nd Round

Johnny Newton
Byron Murphy II
T'Vondre Sweat
Ruke Orhorhoro
Leonard Taylor
Michael Hall Jr.
Kris Jenkins
Braden Fiske

3rd round

McKinnley Jackson
DeWayne Carter

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don’t think they can, nor will, wait for their 3rd round selection to get a DT. Too much risk that their guy(s) would be gone by 83.

I also don’t see a DT worth 19. If they stay at 19, I see an edge or some other premium piece (CB, WR, etc). Or trade back.

The sweet spot in this draft for DTs really seems like it’s that 2nd round (30-70ish). I see them picking a DT in that range. Whether it be their 2nd round of via a trade back / up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think they can, nor will, wait for their 3rd round selection to get a DT. Too much risk that their guy(s) would be gone by 83.

I also don’t see a DT worth 19. If they stay at 19, I see an edge or some other premium piece (CB, WR, etc). Or trade back.

The sweet spot in this draft for DTs really seems like it’s that 2nd round (30-70ish). I see them picking a DT in that range. Whether it be their 2nd round of via a trade back / up.
Who are their guys?