Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Nobody is replacing AD. But Turner is going to need some legitimate help. It’s a big hole.

Any confirmation on how long they knew this was coming?
Over a year. And AD gave team the heads up after the season

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Forgot about Ruke Orhorhoro (Clemson). Definitely another option in the second round. Reminds a lot of people - including me - of Justin Madubuike.
I have been looking at the DTs and there will be solid options in those first 2 rds. I would not be surprised if they double dipped in the 1st 100 picks, hoping at least one guy has a big yr. Hoping a trade down can get an extra top 75 pick.

Now my focus is on just loading up the front 7 on D. Add a CB, RB & WR at some point but focus on Edge, DT, and even a blitzing ILB. They will need sacks from multiple levels.

You can see now how important it was to keep, Robinson, Noteboom, Dotson, and then add Williams, Parkinson, Curl, and also suring up the interior OL. It was obviously the plan to now allow them to focus on the DL/Edge in the draft.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I like murphy
.. but I like the guy who lined up next to him too.. Tvandre Sweat
I'm a big fan of Sweat. Its hard to get a bead on exactly where he's expected to go, but, I think if we wanted him, we'd likely have to use our 2nd on him. Lot of talk that he won't be an everydown guy and I get it, but, he's a one man wrecking crew when he is in there and would be a perfect nose for us.
dumb question of the day. do the Rams have the capability to go 3-4 ?? get a big run stopper in the middle and look more towards coverage sacks from the secondary, etc. which would explain the upgrading of the secondary (which was needed regardless.)
i'm asking, so no one else has to look silly. I also plead the 13th (excessive amounts of medication due to my 5th consecutive year of getting crushed by covid.) i doubt it , because very rarely have I noticed anyone on the board talking up the LB corps of the Rams and obviously a 3-4 alignment needs good LB's (and edge rushers). maybe Clowney is now in play for his running defense moreso than his pass rushing --- which he can still provide.
We already have been running a 3-4 for years now.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think the forthcoming mocks on this board are about to get reallllly interesting!
AD99 ... there's just no replacing him. 1 of 1.
That said, there's just no replacing him on this DLine. But, in some ways, the Rams were using AD99 to create pressure from multiple spots (edge, 3T, etc. not an expert here) because we've had to make up for the fact that we couldn't create pressure from where it's usually generated -- from EDGE. Von Miller was the closest thing we've had to edge pressure in a long time, him & AD99 were quite a combo. But even when we had Von, the best defensive player on the line was STILL AD.
I'm just not sure we use #19 to replace him, unless there's some generational, transformational, future HoF DL talent to be picked there lol. The "conductor" is actually a very talented kid -- put a giant NT in there to eat up space & Kobie will get the TFL's & sacks you'd expect from a great DL player, which he has the potential to be (with a great personality to boot). But, to date, we STILL don't have a proper EDGE talent. I'm excited to see what BYron does this season & if he can keep building on his stellar play, but the other side???
And a great CB pick at #19 would help the DL tremendously by creating coverage sacks.
Sooo, I'm thinking we wait until the F/A dust settles -- there's still a few possible "name brand" DL'ers lurking out there -- before we can say what we do with #19. But, no matter what, the knee-jerk "replace AD" strategy can't be valid because there's just no replacing him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the forthcoming mocks on this board are about to get reallllly interesting!
AD99 ... there's just no replacing him. 1 of 1.
That said, there's just no replacing him on this DLine. But, in some ways, the Rams were using AD99 to create pressure from multiple spots (edge, 3T, etc. not an expert here) because we've had to make up for the fact that we couldn't create pressure from where it's usually generated -- from EDGE. Von Miller was the closest thing we've had to edge pressure in a long time, him & AD99 were quite a combo. But even when we had Von, the best defensive player on the line was STILL AD.
I'm just not sure we use #19 to replace him, unless there's some generational, transformational, future HoF DL talent to be picked there lol. The "conductor" is actually a very talented kid -- put a giant NT in there to eat up space & Kobie will get the TFL's & sacks you'd expect from a great DL player, which he has the potential to be (with a great personality to boot). But, to date, we STILL don't have a proper EDGE talent. I'm excited to see what BYron does this season & if he can keep building on his stellar play, but the other side???
And a great CB pick at #19 would help the DL tremendously by creating coverage sacks.
Sooo, I'm thinking we wait until the F/A dust settles -- there's still a few possible "name brand" DL'ers lurking out there -- before we can say what we do with #19. But, no matter what, the knee-jerk "replace AD" strategy can't be valid because there's just no replacing him.
Sweat fits this perfectly and is no slouch in rushing the passer either.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I'm a big fan of Sweat. Its hard to get a bead on exactly where he's expected to go, but, I think if we wanted him, we'd likely have to use our 2nd on him. Lot of talk that he won't be an everydown guy and I get it, but, he's a one man wrecking crew when he is in there and would be a perfect nose for us.

Yeah Sweat reminds me of my man Cortez Kennedy... You don't see too many of those huge DTs with quick feet like that. I'd love for us to put him in a rotation with Bobby Brown and Kobe Turner...

jap

Legend
 It would be interesting to know what the Horns coaching brass thinks of Sweat and similar NT prospects.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

this must be why i should hang out in the off topic forums. i once thought James Harris was the answer to the qb problems in the 70's too. 1/2 century later and i'm still out of touch with reality. at least i'm consistent !

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don't sleep on Desjuan Johnson either. I'd still draft Jer'Zhan Newton with a trade-down (think Murphy benefitted from Sweat too much for me to trade up for him), but don't sleep on D-John getting that 3-tech spot and running with it.
I like Newton too, but maybe go edge in round one and then for T'Vondre Sweat in round two, which would give the DL a totally different dynamic.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like Newton too, but maybe go edge in round one and then for T'Vondre Sweat in round two, which would give the DL a totally different dynamic.
Based on the FA signings, it seems teams value pass rusher much more than CBs.

I’m all for doubling down on the dline and find secondary help later on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams could move down a bit and accrue another pick and still end up with a nice DT addition at the top. And in those remaining picks there will be corners and wideouts that help us. Feels to me like DT has more falloff than those two positions. Edge as well, depending on whether someone falls to us.

So post-AD retirement I'm now thinking we go defensive front at the top. Think there's a good chance of it.

swmizzou83

Starter
dumb question of the day. do the Rams have the capability to go 3-4 ?? get a big run stopper in the middle and look more towards coverage sacks from the secondary, etc. which would explain the upgrading of the secondary (which was needed regardless.)
i'm asking, so no one else has to look silly. I also plead the 13th (excessive amounts of medication due to my 5th consecutive year of getting crushed by covid.) i doubt it , because very rarely have I noticed anyone on the board talking up the LB corps of the Rams and obviously a 3-4 alignment needs good LB's (and edge rushers). maybe Clowney is now in play for his running defense moreso than his pass rushing --- which he can still provide.
We already run a 3-4 and have for years.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
this must be why i should hang out in the off topic forums. i once thought James Harris was the answer to the qb problems in the 70's too. 1/2 century later and i'm still out of touch with reality. at least i'm consistent !
You're fine. The base defense last year was mostly 3 DL and 4 LB/Edge, with Donald, Brown and Williams on the D-Line, Jones with Rozeboom or Reeder inside at Off-Ball-LB, plus Young and Hoecht at Edge ... 3-and-4.

However the Rams probably played Nickel more than half the defensive snaps, with just two DL (often Donald and Turner), four LBs including the two Edges mostly for pass rush and five DBs.

Then there were sets with 6 DBs, 3 LBs (two at Edge) and 2 DL.

Lots of situational substitutions, and additional subs to keep players fresh ... especially at DL and Edge.

Not like the 1970s when Olsen, Brooks, Youngblood and Dryer never came-off the field!

And, I don't think you were wrong on James Harris. I liked the offense best when it was a running attack led by Lawrence McCutcheon, and Harris throwing deep to Harold Jackson . Harris had trouble staying on-the-field, and I thought Knox sat him too quickly a couple times.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't understand how draft media ranks Murphy II over Newton who plays far more snaps and has less help.
PFF mock has Rams taking Newton and Murphy going a couple picks later. Not sure if its an overreaction to Donald's retirement but they have us also taking DT Orhororo in the second round.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't understand how draft media ranks Murphy II over Newton who plays far more snaps and has less help.
Again, it's a Texas thing. Illinois is not viewed as much as Texas and IMO, that is why. Because watching both players, IMO, Newton is superior and he did not have anyone close to the talent of T'Vondre Sweat next to him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Again, it's a Texas thing. Illinois is not viewed as much as Texas and IMO, that is why. Because watching both players, IMO, Newton is superior and he did not have anyone close to the talent of T'Vondre Sweat next to him.

Do you really think The Rams go DT that early ? If your looking at the depth of OLB/DE IMO The Rams have to & will go in that direction.Even move up in the draft to address 1 of the 3. Pork Chop Robinson might be a player that falls out of the 1st.rd, & CB might be the direction as well The Rams go ?? Then again your more dialed in the draft than myself.

The Rams are thin upfront though.The Brown Bro’s will play a Big part of what The D’ Front looks like.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PFF mock has Rams taking Newton and Murphy going a couple picks later. Not sure if its an overreaction to Donald's retirement but they have us also taking DT Orhororo in the second round.
Latu also goes 4 picks after us, not to mention Verse goes 3 picks after that even. The 2nd round pick is ridiculous, definite overraction by having us take 2 DL with our first 2 picks? :laugh1: That said, the picks don't go our way in the top of the 2nd, edges and CB's go fast and often. Based upon who is there for our 2nd pick, I'd have likely gone Rakestraw and then Trice in 3rd (they went KAD in 3rd).