Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I've gone back and forth with this. I think Cutler's sulking demeanor and attitude is very overstated. I do wonder about his effectiveness against the defenses in our division. I do think he's got the arm talent and the willingness to throw downfield that Brian Quick could thrive with. Sam has the arm but he's almost too careful.

At the end of the day, we're not in a position to be too picky and another lost year of Sam Bradford could bury us again. I'm fine with Sam, but I'm also fine if they decide to go after Cutler to bridge the gap to a developmental QB...like Bridge.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WOW thanks! What service!

Now I'm trying to decide if that'd be acceptable with our running game.
Probably.
It would take an exhaustive effort to find out how the run game was when he played against SF, SEA and AZ. But I can look into it tomorrow maybe.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
18 TDs, 11 ints, 240.6 YPG, 86.4 QB Rating over 10 games against our NFCW opponents.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CutlJa00/splits/
And lets look at the big picture in terms of the defenses in our division. SF is clearly declining and aging a bit. AZ may very well lose DC Todd Bowles, and the overall talent there isn't awe-inspiring anyway. Seattle is still strong and set up for future success but they'll have to reload a bit up front.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WOW thanks! What service!

Now I'm trying to decide if that'd be acceptable with our running game.

Since Cutler has been in Chicago, here's how he's done against Arizona, Seattle, and SF:
Cutler
7 games
148/251
59.0%
1768 yards
7.0 YPA
13 TDs
7 Ints
86.2 QB Rating

Running Game
7 games
157 attempts
589 yards(84.1 YPG)
3.8 YPC
2 TDs

SF has actually been the thorn in his side. He has 9 TDs to 2 Ints against Seattle and Arizona.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Since Cutler has been in Chicago, here's how he's done against Arizona, Seattle, and SF:
Cutler
7 games
148/251
59.0%
1768 yards
7.0 YPA
13 TDs
7 Ints
86.2 QB Rating

Running Game
7 games
157 attempts
589 yards(84.1 YPG)
3.8 YPC
2 TDs

SF has actually been the thorn in his side. He has 9 TDs to 2 Ints against Seattle and Arizona.
Did pretty well against SF this year though.

Any reason why you've eliminated his stats while at Denver? Is it because it was too long ago and the NFCW has greatly improved since?

moklerman

Warner-phile
Although Cutler has the highest completion % of his career this year and is pretty productive with 28 TD's passing, it's hard for me to believe that he's never posted a passer rating above 89 any year in his career.

It's too bad for Chicago as Trestman seems to be making him more efficient and productive but it looks like neither of them will survive the team's poor record.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Cutler
7 games
148/251
59.0%
1768 yards
7.0 YPA
13 TDs
7 Ints
86.2 QB Rating

Running Game
7 games
157 attempts
589 yards(84.1 YPG)
3.8 YPC
2 TDs

That could suffice, especially with San Francisco likely getting worse as they go through a mini-rebuild with a bad cap situation.

Cutler also had some pretty terrible O-Lines up until this year which certainly can't help his numbers against a division with good DL play.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I agree w/ the camp that doesn't see Fisher adding a turnover machine... Like it or not folks Fisher's guy is Sam Bradford. Though we will add a QB in the 1st half of the draft.... Rookie QB will be red shirted for a full season unless he can go David Carr in camp. Just my 2 cents

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did pretty well against SF this year though.

Any reason why you've eliminated his stats while at Denver? Is it because it was too long ago and the NFCW has greatly improved since?

I guess. No reason really. Just would have meant more math...I was being lazy. :LOL:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like any player with a problem is automatically linked to Jeff Fisher.

Well, besides Marvin Lewis, what other coach takes on the 'character flawed' guys like Fisher? He does have a history of taking chances that other teams won't. PacMan, Haynesworth, Jenkins, Ogletree, Cook, Britt, etc...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree w/ the camp that doesn't see Fisher adding a turnover machine... Like it or not folks Fisher's guy is Sam Bradford. Though we will add a QB in the 1st half of the draft.... Rookie QB will be red shirted for a full season unless he can go David Carr in camp. Just my 2 cents

Classic commercials
Still damn funny.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's essentially a 2 year $31.5 million deal. That would give us time to figure out our QB of the future and develop him. I think it's a good bridge. Especially if he can be had cheap in terms of trade compensation.

Yes, he's overpaid. But I don't think he's overrated. He is what he is. And we all know what that is.

I think Cutler in St. Louis is making the best out of this bad situation. We have the pieces. He can provide enough stability at QB for us to contend until we find our next guy.

Add to it that the troubles with Cutler don't usually rear their head until about his third + season with a new team.

dhaab

Rookie
?How so?

I thought Cutler was a likely Rams target too. They need a QB in a hurry and if they can acquire Cutler on the cheap because Chicago wants to dump his contract or releases him then they can invest draft picks in the OLine. It could be the Rams best chance.

What is worse to bank on? Cutlers head or Bradfords knee? I would gamble on the head in this case. Cutler played well with a change of scenery and Fisher is a players coach that may make Culters troubles easier to handle.

Dude, you must not watch many Bears games because Cutler is the LAST QB in the league that I would want running my team. Sure, he's a talented player who has a great arm, but he's a turnover machine who doesn't know how to manage an offense. How could a guy who is failing miserably with Forte, Marshall/Jeffrey, and Bennett around him be successful on any NFL team?

dhaab

Rookie
If he can't get it done with Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett, then he can't get it done. Plus he is paid like an elite QB, which he isn't. I would rather take my chances on Bradford being healthy over Jeff George 2.0.

I don't even think I would want Cutler on my team, even if he was making the league minimum. He's a loser...period.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with a lot of what your saying I just don't trust that player with this young team.

Trust me on the Brady thing. He is not playing for 9M, it was basically a 2 year deal when they restructured. Brady is now talking about his brain coach and avocado ice cream and how he is prepared to play till he is 45. Sounds like a guy bucking for a new contract. The Pats think they have a replacement, it bears watching.

To be honest the best option I have seen cam from Fro in the draft forum. Draft a couple of olineman and Grayson in the 3rd. Seems reasonable and if you can bring Bradford back on a 2 and 20 type deal we might actually have something,

Not giving up on the Brady thing either lol.

I like that idea too but how do you guarantee Grayson lasts until round 3? We have all seen this play out before. QBs have good private workouts or pro days and suddenly they go from 3rd rounde to top ten. I don't know if Grayson is the answer but banking n any QB with potential to last past the top of round 2 is a longshot these days.

Even if the Rams drafted a developmental guy with lots of potential, he wouldn't be ready to play next year and the Rams are a bad sack from going back to Hill.

The window is opened. The Rams need another NFL caliber starter on the roster before it closes. I don't think they can wait.

And coaches have a way of talking themselves into QBs. Fisher is not immune.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Fisher cherishes his employment cutler is the last qb in the league you want on your team. Has there been a hc that has survived his tenure on a team?

I dont buy the Fisher on a short leash bit at all. Kroenke is committed to letting Fisher build a team with longterm stability. The team as a whole is coming along nicely. Why does Fisher seem to be on some people's hot seat?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't even think I would want Cutler on my team, even if he was making the league minimum. He's a loser...period.

Liking him has nothing to do with it. I haven't liked Cutler since the first time I saw him. But he is still a better QB than Sean Hill and Austin Davis, and he has been durable.

The Rams are hitting their stride right now. In a few years the free agents will defect, the draft picks will be higher and harder to hit on and the team will start to decline a bit. They need a capable QB to carry them through the next few years while they are peaking. They cannot bank on Sam or a rookie to do that.