Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
:popcorn: I love how polarizing this topic is.

you would...

pVFeqqt.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm honestly not too concerned with the Cutler ego, or all the head case stuff that's been put out there over the years. My only real concern is Cutler being willing to play within the offense and cut down(big time) on the INT's. That's the kind of shit that's lost us a few games this season already.
I'm not saying the Rams should try to turn him into a strong-armed Shaun Hill game manager-type...that would be stupid. Cutler won't buy into that. But like others have said...Fisher won't tolerate turnovers on offense from his QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stability at QB is not who playa all 16 games in a regular season and picks up fights with players, appearing disinterested on sidelines, throwing interceptions at inopportune times, pissing off more than 4 offensive coordinators, running out 3 different head coaches etc
Sorry sir, my definition of stability is different.

I will take Bradford (though i am no yet sold on Bradford he may be the best option for 2015) with one knee over cutler any day.

Well, I don't agree with your definition of stability.

And you don't get to choose Bradford with one knee. You get Austin Davis, Shaun Hill and a .500(or sub .500) season. I'm not okay with that.

Big Willie

Starter
?How so?

I thought Cutler was a likely Rams target too. They need a QB in a hurry and if they can acquire Cutler on the cheap because Chicago wants to dump his contract or releases him then they can invest draft picks in the OLine. It could be the Rams best chance.

What is worse to bank on? Cutlers head or Bradfords knee? I would gamble on the head in this case. Cutler played well with a change of scenery and Fisher is a players coach that may make Culters troubles easier to handle.
Cutler's head is a huge gamble!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
likes to throw picks and you wanna put a dumb QB into a complicated system. yea :jerkoff:

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Cutler would win us a few games with his gunslinging, but he would also lose us some games as well. Fisher is not a fan of QBs that turn the ball over alot, so I am not sure he would want Cutler.

Bradford throws 1.55 touchdowns for every pick. Cutler throws 1.4.

Not sure how people can say Cutler is a turnover machine compared to Bradford.
Nope, not certain at all. If you listen to what JT and the Rams brain trust are saying combined with the rumors out there he is. Can we trust anything they said? Depends on your own level of cynicism. Mine's at about 50% chance. But the point is that he wouldn't be coming in with a guarantee of first string. Why take that when other clubs would make him their starter?

I'm pretty sure nobody would bet their jobs on Sam's knees. :LOL:

I wouldn't put much stock into JT's predictions. He knows no more than we do about what the Rams want at QB, and he's way too vanilla to ever make a bold statement, such as "the Rams will ditch Bradford."

I've also heard interviews where Snead and Demoff put an emphasis on their desire to find a QB who can start 16 games and provide stability at the position. But honestly, based on how Fisher has handled the QB position this year, it's safe to say nothing he says can be trusted. He's gone back on his word twice this year.

I think you just gotta ignore hype and bias, and ask yourself if Bradford returning is logical. Considering he has proven, without a doubt, that he can't stay healthy, and his play has only been "OK... pretty decent" when on the field, I just don't see Fisher/Snead gambling with their careers.

People will ask "well who's gonna replace him?" I can't say right now. Will the replacement be adequate? We don't know. But we DO know that counting on Bradford to carry the team with no other starting-caliber QB on the roster is a recipe for disaster. Exhibit A: the 2013 season. Exhibit B: the 2014 season. Exhibit C: his 2009 season in college.

I'm pretty sure nobody would bet their jobs on Sam's knees.

Exactly. Ignore all the other opinions and media chatter. That quote is all you have to realize if you wanna know what direction our Rams will go this offseason.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It's essentially a 2 year $31.5 million deal. That would give us time to figure out our QB of the future and develop him. I think it's a good bridge. Especially if he can be had cheap in terms of trade compensation.

Yes, he's overpaid. But I don't think he's overrated. He is what he is. And we all know what that is.

I think Cutler in St. Louis is making the best out of this bad situation. We have the pieces. He can provide enough stability at QB for us to contend until we find our next guy.

I see where you are coming from but I would rather go 2 years and 20m guaranteed with Bradford. I trust you on the 2 and 31 with cutler although there has to be some dead money involved.

I agree we need a bridge but bringing in a guy who doesn't listen to coaches and changes calls from the sidelines in the huddle is just not worth it.

Fisher and his staff are building something pretty special here. Jay Cutler does not enhance that. Why risk him not listening to coaches here. He is not a leader, not a good locker room guy. Also if he can't win with Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte what do expect from him here?

If you don't like the Bradford idea, how about bringing in a guy like Tom Brady? He won't be playing under his current contract next year of 9M. If NE does not make the SB I bet Brady becomes available.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see where you are coming from but I would rather go 2 years and 20m guaranteed with Bradford. I trust you on the 2 and 31 with cutler although there has to be some dead money involved.

I agree we need a bridge but bringing in a guy who doesn't listen to coaches and changes calls from the sidelines in the huddle is just not worth it.

Fisher and his staff are building something pretty special here. Jay Cutler does not enhance that. Why risk him not listening to coaches here. He is not a leader, not a good locker room guy. Also if he can't win with Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte what do expect from him here?

I don't think we'd have that problem here.

And the weapons argument doesn't work for me. They aren't winning because they have the 32nd ranked defense. The team went 27-13 with Cutler at QB and Marinhelli at DC...because Cutler's average play was enough for them to win with a good/great defense.

Weapons aren't the issue. Cutler isn't a guy you build a team around. The defense is the issue. Cutler doesn't elevate a team. He's a guy you put on a team who doesn't need the QB to shoulder the burden of leading teams to win. Put him a role where the defense carries the weight and he can win...Carson Palmer is the same way.

If you don't like the Bradford idea, how about bringing in a guy like Tom Brady? He won't be playing under his current contract next year of 9M. If NE does not make the SB I bet Brady becomes available.

With Tom Brady, BR, we'd in a Super Bowl. I'd bring him in without hesitation but I don't believe for a second that he'll be available. He's still a top 3 QB.

I don't dislike the Bradford idea. My issue with it is we have to have a Plan B. And right now, I've having problems coming up with one. Mike Glennon and Matt Moore seemed to be the best options but I'm not sold we can make the playoffs with them at QB. It's a real question for me.

That's not a situation I want to be in.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't think we'd have that problem here.

And the weapons argument doesn't work for me. They aren't winning because they have the 32nd ranked defense. The team went 27-13 with Cutler at QB and Marinhelli at DC...because Cutler's average play was enough for them to win with a good/great defense.

Weapons aren't the issue. Cutler isn't a guy you build a team around. The defense is the issue. Cutler doesn't elevate a team. He's a guy you put on a team who doesn't need the QB to shoulder the burden of leading teams to win. Put him a role where the defense carries the weight and he can win...Carson Palmer is the same way.

With Tom Brady, BR, we'd in a Super Bowl. I'd bring him in without hesitation but I don't believe for a second that he'll be available. He's still a top 3 QB.

I don't dislike the Bradford idea. My issue with it is we have to have a Plan B. And right now, I've having problems coming up with one. Mike Glennon and Matt Moore seemed to be the best options but I'm not sold we can make the playoffs with them at QB. It's a real question for me.

That's not a situation I want to be in.

I agree with a lot of what your saying I just don't trust that player with this young team.

Trust me on the Brady thing. He is not playing for 9M, it was basically a 2 year deal when they restructured. Brady is now talking about his brain coach and avocado ice cream and how he is prepared to play till he is 45. Sounds like a guy bucking for a new contract. The Pats think they have a replacement, it bears watching.

To be honest the best option I have seen cam from Fro in the draft forum. Draft a couple of olineman and Grayson in the 3rd. Seems reasonable and if you can bring Bradford back on a 2 and 20 type deal we might actually have something,

Not giving up on the Brady thing either lol.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sure about that? He's certainly not our No. 1 right now while on the sidelines, and none of us know if Fisher/Snead see him as our No. 1 in 2015 and beyond. A lot of people on here are willing to bet nothing that Sam can be our savior QB in 2015, but I'm just not sure Fisher/Snead are ready to make the same bet, as they have more than a forum reputation on the line... as in $$$ and employment.

I wouldn't bet my job on his knees. Just saying.

If Fisher cherishes his employment cutler is the last qb in the league you want on your team. Has there been a hc that has survived his tenure on a team?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I think there are some pretty strong opinions here on this, and I know I have one of them. I hope he doesn't show up here cause I feel like that really would set us back a few years. I'd much rather go through the stages of dealing with a young QB develop as opposed to spending time on a veteran who is pretty much already established and isn't really known for being much.

Strong feelings on this from me cause I really don't want to see it happen after being a close follower of the Bears for quite some time, but going off that, I don't really think it will happen so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Cutler, and a first for a 7th and a conditional 1st seems like a fair trade.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cutler reportedly is not a good team guy, not super dedicated and guy content to try and get by with his raw talent....how true is that? Who knows. I will say it is not very often a guy who has all the boxes checked in terms of prototype QB is moved repeatedly.
Signing Cutler for $8 a year and cutting Sams $12 makes sense in the short term I guess. I for one would not be a fan of this move.
Compared to all the other vet options he will more than likely be the best choice however.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with a lot of what your saying I just don't trust that player with this young team.

Trust me on the Brady thing. He is not playing for 9M, it was basically a 2 year deal when they restructured. Brady is now talking about his brain coach and avocado ice cream and how he is prepared to play till he is 45. Sounds like a guy bucking for a new contract. The Pats think they have a replacement, it bears watching.

To be honest the best option I have seen cam from Fro in the draft forum. Draft a couple of olineman and Grayson in the 3rd. Seems reasonable and if you can bring Bradford back on a 2 and 20 type deal we might actually have something,

Not giving up on the Brady thing either lol.

Grayson is a guy I've looked into but I'm not sure that's going to solve our problem. And you're taking one hell of a risk in that.

I'd do anything to get Brady on this team...but I just don't see it happening.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
On ESPN radio Albert Breer was one with Van Pelt and Rosillo.

He claimed that Fisher scouted Cutler when he was drafted and he liked him. And Fisher is friends with Shanahan who also scouted and liked Cutler, in fact he traded up to draft him.

Then he noted Fishers success with guys with questionable character like Jenkins and Ogletree and some in his Tennessee time. He said Cutlers past would not scare Fisher and that he thinks St. Louis is the most likely landing spot for Cutler.
And he liked Chris Johnson too but when it came time to pick him up,Fisher said no.The media needs to stop manufacturing stories.Cutlers contract won't fit with the Rams cost structure so this is a silly rumor.Kind of like the Johnny Football nonsense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But honestly, based on how Fisher has handled the QB position this year, it's safe to say nothing he says can be trusted. He's gone back on his word twice this year.
This is a mantra I get real tired of. What coach doesn't do these kinds of things? Would you rather he just stick with one player no matter what he sees in practice every day? Maybe he should worry about the fans thinking him wishy washy and let that determine what he says and does. But then I get it because the choices between the two QBs were so cut and dried. You have one QB with a suspect skill set and years of experience holding a clipboard vs another QB with virtually no real experience and suspect skill set. In that situation, how dare he change QBs? How dare he try to boost the confidence of this week's journeyman QB by trying to build his confidence?

I just think people put too much stock in coach speak. It is a chess game of sound bites out there. NO coach in the NFL worth a salt is not going to play the word game in some shape or form. Holding them to what they say in press conferences would be like expecting them to say what free agents they cherished most.

I wished we had gone after a QB high in the draft last year but that is about the only thing I really have a problem with on how he "handled" the QB situation this year. Bradford went down and left us with two QBs that may have had a slight difference in their pluses and minuses. It was almost a coin flip.

Moving on to the Cutler deal, I will be interested to see what happens. I also wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibilities that they intentionally floated out a rumor or some misinformation to soften the stance of Bradford's agents. Again - back to the chess game.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Disagree. Vince Young lacked talent in the important areas of QBing.

Bradford play in 2012 might be better...it's arguable. But again, I think we all mostly agree that a healthy Bradford makes us a 10+ win team. Unfortunately, that's not an option. And it's something we just can't count on. Before, I was all for sticking with Sam and getting a Plan B because that was our best option(with us not getting Winston). But trading for Cutler and trading Bradford might just be a better option. I think the world of Sam but I can't take another year of him on IR and me stuck watching this team underachieve because of backup QBs.
What seems to be lost on a lot of people is Cutler was injured and McCown picked up the reins and played better and offense was highly ranked in 2013.It is 2014 and Cutlers play has been abysmal with the same cast on offense on a offensive minded coach.If the said coach benches the starting the quarterback there is something dreadfully wrong.Cutler is a head case just like Young and I can assure you Fisher will not let a troubled player come in and upset the team chemistry.Just cause the media says it doesn't make so.