Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
If he can't get it done with Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett, then he can't get it done. Plus he is paid like an elite QB, which he isn't. I would rather take my chances on Bradford being healthy over Jeff George 2.0.

1) Bennett was pretty much a bust before Cutler became his QB.
2) Jeffery shined immediately as a rookie... not sure that would've happened with just anyone at QB.
3) Marshall has followed Cutler around for a reason.

I get that he's not elite. But the guy has playoff experience, the Bears have fielded winning offenses with him under center and he actually plays in most his games. Is he Peyton Manning? No. But he's better than anything we got, and we can win with him.

Athos

Legend
Rams might decide to go get their version of Carson Palmer...and buy some time until they can go get a young QB they covet.
I could see this as a possibility. Cutler can play, but he's probably nobody's long term answer anymore.

Exactly. There just won't be quality QB talent unless you find a diamond in the ruff in 2015/2016 and hell, maybe even 2017. Finding even an average QB these days seems difficult.

At this point, I'd be over the moon with prying away Cutler.

Not only do we get to do my real wish then (loading up on big ugly mauling offensive lineman) but we have an answer at QB who can toss the rock.

And besides, all we need is that first half Culter with this D. If he gets us early leads, our D plays to its strengths.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not a big fan, but might be interested if he was cut, and brought in at a cheaper rate. I do think Bradford is the better player, all things being equal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta wonder how it is Rams fans think we're too good for Cutler? I'm sorry guys but Aaron Rodgers isn't available. We gotta make due. Seems to me that most of y'all don't want Winston, realize Mariota will be gone, aren't comfortable sticking with Bradford but also are unwilling to trade for Cutler who should be relatively cheap to acquire(in terms of draft pick compensation).

So what is your solution? It's easy to pick apart every solution without offering your own. But the Rams need to have a QB next year and I don't think any of us are comfortable with Bradford being under center with no strong Plan B behind him. So if you want to keep Sam, who is your Plan B?

1) Bennett was pretty much a bust before Cutler became his QB.
2) Jeffery shined immediately as a rookie... not sure that would've happened with just anyone at QB.
3) Marshall has followed Cutler around for a reason.

I get that he's not elite. But the guy has playoff experience, the Bears have fielded winning offenses with him under center and he actually plays in most his games. Is he Peyton Manning? No. But he's better than anything we got, and we can win with him.

None of those things are exactly true.
1) Bennett had played well in NYG before signing with Chicago.
2) Jeffery shined as a sophomore, he was injured for a big chunk of his rookie year.
3) Marshall went to Miami and was fine without Cutler but Chicago traded for him because they work well together.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a big fan, but might be interested if he was cut, and brought in at a cheaper rate. I do think Bradford is the better player, all things being equal.

Bears won't eat the contract. Too much money to cut him. They can trade him and get it off their books. Which is why he'd be available. They want to rebuild so they trade away a starting caliber QB fairly cheap as a salary dump.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Sam is still our no. 1

You sure about that? He's certainly not our No. 1 right now while on the sidelines, and none of us know if Fisher/Snead see him as our No. 1 in 2015 and beyond. A lot of people on here are willing to bet nothing that Sam can be our savior QB in 2015, but I'm just not sure Fisher/Snead are ready to make the same bet, as they have more than a forum reputation on the line... as in $$$ and employment.

I wouldn't bet my job on his knees. Just saying.

ram007

Starter
Not really. Cutler is pretty stable. You're confusing stability and quality. Cutler is average but he's stable.

@drasconis Bears eat $4 million if they trade him. The Rams are on the hook for his base salary and any other money not yet paid out if they acquire him.

Stability at QB is not who playa all 16 games in a regular season and picks up fights with players, appearing disinterested on sidelines, throwing interceptions at inopportune times, pissing off more than 4 offensive coordinators, running out 3 different head coaches etc
Sorry sir, my definition of stability is different.

I will take Bradford (though i am no yet sold on Bradford he may be the best option for 2015) with one knee over cutler any day.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh hell NO

Cutler is shell shocked beaten down and looking like Bulger his last year in StL. His head is so screwed up it is never going to be right, he is not a bridge he is a tunnel to a deep dark hole. A coach killer and any interest Fish had in this guy is buried in the hole he has made of his career. Fucked it up in Denver, fucked it up in Chicago and I would rather see him in ANY place besides StL.

I'll take another year of Hill over Cutler

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cutler and Schotty. Like that's going to end well
It probably would. Because Schotty has no problem sending receivers deep. It hasn't ended well this year, because our QBs haven't had the arm to hit receivers deep, sometimes miss them when they get the opportunity, and just as often never even saw them. I can't count the amount of times that I've seen our QBs break the pocket, which leads to receivers breaking off their routes to get open deep, and .... nothing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Bears won't eat the contract. Too much money to cut him. They can trade him and get it off their books. Which is why he'd be available. They want to rebuild so they trade away a starting caliber QB fairly cheap as a salary dump.
And that would be a deal breaker for me, but he still does intrigue me a little, if you consider what he'd be asked to do here. He's better than any healthy QB we have now, but that contract, and that would force our hand on Bradford.

I guess, I like what @-X- is showing in pic #2. But making it work???

Again, I'm picturing him on our team, with our players, and how much is asked of the QB, he may do well here, given a chance.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
It sure is an entertaining conversation. When X brought up the idea in the game thread I was a bit taken aback. I thought by the time Jay threw three picks on the night to secure the season lead at 18 picks it was settled. But since then the temperature in Chicago has been turned up a notch or three. Jerry makes solid and thoughtful points as always. And you are right X. The money is Demoff's problem...Picture B is quite a bit more exciting.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
:popcorn: I love how polarizing this topic is.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
All things being equal i think things are pretty equal between the two. I'm big on durability for all NFL players. I have very little patience for uber-talented guys who can't show up every week and start and FINISH games. Cutler hasn't been an iron man by any stretch but next to Sam he would be considered quite durable.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
All things being equal i think things are pretty equal between the two. I'm big on durability for all NFL players. I have very little patience for uber-talented guys who can't show up every week and start and FINISH games. Cutler hasn't been an iron man by any stretch but next to Sam he would be considered quite durable.
I can't argue with that. That is why I like pic #2!

Alan

Legend
StevenG-BR doubting the news:
You sure about that? He's certainly not our No. 1 right now while on the sidelines, and none of us know if Fisher/Snead see him as our No. 1 in 2015 and beyond. A lot of people on here are willing to bet nothing that Sam can be our savior QB in 2015, but I'm just not sure Fisher/Snead are ready to make the same bet, as they have more than a forum reputation on the line... as in $$$ and employment.

I wouldn't bet my job on his knees. Just saying.
Nope, not certain at all. If you listen to what JT and the Rams brain trust are saying combined with the rumors out there he is. Can we trust anything they said? Depends on your own level of cynicism. Mine's at about 50% chance. But the point is that he wouldn't be coming in with a guarantee of first string. Why take that when other clubs would make him their starter?

I'm pretty sure nobody would bet their jobs on Sam's knees. :LOL:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
By the way, anyone watching, Whitehurst play right now? lol

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's doing damn good so far @DR RAM .
I still remember when he killed us that one year, when I thought we might have the advantage playing against a backup QB. He was the one (I think) who seemed to have started the whole big money for backup QB's thingie that's been going around for a while now.