Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Part of me believes Cutler would be our best option if Sam can't play next season. In fact if Sam is definitely out, he would be.

Another part of believes Cutler should be traded to the Jets. That way, the spoiled brat can spend the rest of his days in NFL purgatory.

IDK. I just want to win our division next year

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Beyond that, it's the the age/talent/injury risk combination that I don't like. Cutler will be 32 in April and that's too old to invest a lot of capital in. He's no Peyton Manning. Still, he's an upgrade over Hill and Davis, an excellent Plan 1B temporary fix and for the right price I'd love to have him. But would he love to have us for that "right price?" I contend the answer would be no.

I really think you are overlooking one fact. The Rams window is beginning to open. They have a shaky Bradford to rely on, to carry them through the next few years of potential NFL dominance with the current defense getting even better. If they don't have a QB to score a few points they don't win. Cutler wouldn't have to score 34 pts a game with the Rams defense so his job just got easier. However, if they don't get an NFL quality starter to carry them through the next few years they may miss their best opportunity in years to win a Superbowl. We are not talking about Cutler on a 10 year contract here. Just a two or three year contract until the Rams can find a viable young starter.

He would be a stop gap. He would be insurance to make sure that this rebuild that has finally arrived does not go for naught.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
JMHO both the head and the knee are VERY risky.

Yes but this is the catch. With the head you can do more to make it less of a factor. Make the offense easier with more of a running game. Protect the QB with some Oline upgrades. Don't put too much onto the QB on the onset. Ease him into the game plan. Encourage him. Just having a new surrounding can help. Fresh starts are cleansing.

Add in that Fisher has had some success with bad eggs.

With the knee what can you do? Put a brace on it. Then what. That is about it and it will still get hit sooner or later even with the brace.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why invest in an overrated overpaid malcontent who can't get done with some of the best weapons in the league? He is 31 and is and had been uncoachable, I doubt that changes.

Fisher has dealt with troubled pasts who's troubles were off the field. Cutlers issues are on field.

Oh please please don't let Cutler come to St. Louis.

What is he owed 126M or something like that? Bad player bad attitude and even a worse contract.
Totally agree here.

Throw in the inconsitent, unimaginative game plans of Schottenheimer and you have s hot, steaming pile of poo.

If Cutler was on the team and it was a MNF game and the offense was stuggling and I saw that indiffernt look on his face, I think I'll explode!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he's cheaper than Bradford. That's the only way this happens. And even then I'm skeptical.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it's amazing isn't it? It's like Fisher is running a rehab facility
My take is that Fisher covets physical attributes above all else.

I don't think he's drafted any Rhodes scholars and we all know the off-the-field issues with a bunch of the picks and free agents.

Having said that, he's managed - for the most part - to keep them all in line.

But there are times when I see a play by Jenkins... or Austin and I say "man, they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer".
:)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yes but this is the catch. With the head you can do more to make it less of a factor. Make the offense easier with more of a running game. Protect the QB with some Oline upgrades. Don't put too much onto the QB on the onset. Ease him into the game plan. Encourage him. Just having a new surrounding can help. Fresh starts are cleansing.

Add in that Fisher has had some success with bad eggs.

With the knee what can you do? Put a brace on it. Then what. That is about it and it will still get hit sooner or later even with the brace.

I understand you points.
I guess my concern with Cutler regarding his head, is that at a certain level he's shown he may be a quitter. "IF" that is true, respectfully, you can't fix that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He claimed that Fisher scouted Cutler when he was drafted and he liked him. And Fisher is friends with Shanahan who also scouted and liked Cutler, in fact he traded up to draft him.

Okay if Fisher hires Mike Shanahan as offensive coordinator I can deal with Jay Cutler at Quarterback.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay if Fisher hires Mike Shanahan as offensive coordinator I can deal with Jay Cutler at Quarterback.
hBFQj0t.jpg

Sorry. Shanahan is my personal meme now and I'm trotting him out any time someone mentions him.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
That's as poor of a comparison for Cutler that I've ever seen.

Thanks.

My point was not to actually compare the two - but to point out that we already have a guy who was making some poor decisions and turnovers and paying him a lot less money to do it.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Was listening to Herm Edwards speak the other day. He basically said Cutler is not a high volume passer. Problem is they treat him like one. I happen to agree with that. He said what they need to do is treat him like they are treating Romo with Dallas. Commit more to the run game and cut down on his pass attempts. With our defense moving into the elite range, I would be very interested in Cutler if the Rams had that type of plan for him.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome with his own blind spot:
I really think you are overlooking one fact. The Rams window is beginning to open. They have a shaky Bradford to rely on, to carry them through the next few years of potential NFL dominance with the current defense getting even better. If they don't have a QB to score a few points they don't win. Cutler wouldn't have to score 34 pts a game with the Rams defense so his job just got easier. However, if they don't get an NFL quality starter to carry them through the next few years they may miss their best opportunity in years to win a Superbowl. We are not talking about Cutler on a 10 year contract here. Just a two or three year contract until the Rams can find a viable young starter.

He would be a stop gap. He would be insurance to make sure that this rebuild that has finally arrived does not go for naught.
I think what you're overlooking is that I agree with everything you just said in this post. Although not everything you've said in this conversation. ;)

There's one aspect in this little scenario where we differ and one where I think you're feet aren't that firmly on the ground.

Where we differ is in how much we're willing to spend (not how long his contract would be for but more on that in a second) on this stopgap QB. I'm not willing to spend more than 8 million or so for a plan 1B.

Where I think you're having a a really nice dream is in thinking Cutler would go for your plan. You tell me what you'd be willing to spend, guaranteed and not guaranteed and how long the contract would be for. I'll bet you $10,000,000 ROD bucks that he gets offered more than that. Or you'll give me figures we could never afford in the first place. Why would he take any offer that A) was only for 2-3 years and B) wasn't for market prices? The other teams that would be our competitors for his services don't have any plan 1A like we do.

I like your plan. (y) Make it so Elmgrovegnome! :bow:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Thanks.

My point was not to actually compare the two - but to point out that we already have a guy who was making some poor decisions and turnovers and paying him a lot less money to do it.

You left out that the guy we have is a much less talented QB who makes more mistakes, is worse at reading defenses, and doesn't have the arm talent to threaten opposing defenses deep.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldnt call it a tragic loss if he didnt end up in St louis, but if he did? Well, he'd be the best QB we had since #13 left the building
If Fisher was ok with his attitude, I'd be fine with it

WestCoastRam

Legend
Great "high-volume passer" comment. Problem is, he's had a lot of run/pass plays in the huddle that he doesn't check to run plays when he should (this I think was leaked by Kromer). It seems that Cutler has always thrived in a restricted offensive system. You'd probably have to take away most of his audible responsibilities. Those smoke passes that Hill was throwing to Tavon at the beginning of the Raiders game would be gone.